Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The Dirty Burger posted:

This prompted me to take a look at the Preds roster, and who the hell is Calle Jarnkrok's agent? 6 years at $2mil/yr when you're 24 seems really bad, those are your prime years to cash in

He had 18 points in 74 games the year before. He didn't have the best position to negotiate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks

The Dirty Burger posted:

This prompted me to take a look at the Preds roster, and who the hell is Calle Jarnkrok's agent? 6 years at $2mil/yr when you're 24 seems really bad, those are your prime years to cash in

Didn't Detroit keep him in the minors forever? How long is his RFA status?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

whatis posted:

Barring any big roster changes before everything is due, here is the one true protection list for the Buffalo Hockey Sabres. If Jason Botterill does anything different than indicated below I will immediately hate his guts

Forwards
O'Reilly
Okposo
Kane
Carrier
Larsson
Girgensons
Foligno

Defensemen
Ristolainen
McCabe
Falk (aka "anyone that isn't Zack Bogosian or Josh Gorges")

Goalie
Lehner

I'll do one for Calgary!

Forwards
J.Gaudreau
S.Monahan
M.Backlund
M.Frolik
M.Ferland
M.Stajan (has an NTC, hopefully he waives it because he's cooked and I'd rather protect Versteeg)
T.Brouwer

Defencemen
M.Giordano
D.Hamilton
T. Brodie

Goalies:
C. Johnson (I actually want him to stay)

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

Eric the Mauve posted:

The Preds are either about to trade one of their 4 good defensemen to somebody that can protect him or are going to give Vegas a pile of goodies not to take one, right?

Or protect all 4 and expose some pretty good forwards.

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

El Gallinero Gros posted:

M.Stajan (has an NTC, hopefully he waives it because he's cooked and I'd rather protect Versteeg)

Only NMC's have to be auto-protected unless waived. NTC's are fair game.

Anyways, Edmonton's expansion list is pretty to guess easy right now. With no moves it's a 7-3-1:

Forwards:
Lucic (NMC)
Draisaitl
Nugent-Hopkins
Eberle
Maroon
Letestu
Kassian
(McDavid, Slepyshev, Puljujarvi exempt)

Defense:
Sekera (NMC)
Klefbom
Larsson
(Nurse, Benning exempt)

Goalie:
Talbot (NMC)

Kilza fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Jun 12, 2017

Loqieu
Feb 27, 2001

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Agreed, but he seems like a cool guy by all accounts. Might just be doing them a solid by not making it a huge deal, which is dumb from a financial standpoint I guess, but sentiment can be a powerful thing.

Only thing I can think of is if he's worried about length of contract by going UFA, or wants to be guaranteed a starting position. But really there's no downside to not getting bought out and signing on with a new team. I know he's a good guy, but teams cut character guys all the time and justify it as a business. The one time the shoe is on the other foot the team gets an easy out.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Loqieu posted:

Only thing I can think of is if he's worried about length of contract by going UFA, or wants to be guaranteed a starting position. But really there's no downside to not getting bought out and signing on with a new team. I know he's a good guy, but teams cut character guys all the time and justify it as a business. The one time the shoe is on the other foot the team gets an easy out.

I agree.

Also I guess I'll do Boston's probable protection list since that seems to be the discussion now:

They'll almost certainly do 7-3-1
Forwards:
Patrice Bergeron
Brad Marchand
David Krejci (NMC)
David Backes (NMC)
David Pastrnak
Riley Nash
Ryan Spooner

Defensemen:
Zdeno Chara (NMC)
Torey Krug
Kevin Miller or Colin Miller (it should be Colin IMO)

Goalie:
Tuukka Rask

Carlo, McAvoy, Vatrano, and a few other guys are all exempt.

So that leaves as notable exposed players:
Whichever Miller doesn't get protected
Matt Beleskey
Jimmy Hayes
Adam McQuaid
Anton Khudobin
Malcolm Subban

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Vatrano is not exempt.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Agreed, but he seems like a cool guy by all accounts. Might just be doing them a solid by not making it a huge deal, which is dumb from a financial standpoint I guess, but sentiment can be a powerful thing.

He might also have aspirations to be a part of the organization down the line and he doesn't want to burn bridges right now. Sure he's giving up some cash but he also has a life after hockey to worry about where he could make up the difference if he so chooses.

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

Aphrodite posted:

Vatrano is not exempt.

Vatrano only has played 2 pro seasons (the season where he played 5 games in the AHL doesn't count), he's exempt.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

ThinkTank posted:

As of now no, but Jimmy Murphy is legit. He's a pretty big Boston reporter and verified on twitter. He's not a crank with a blog.

https://twitter.com/MurphysLaw74/status/874284556362420228

jimmy murphy makes up poo poo about the NHL every day of his life

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Aphrodite posted:

Vatrano is not exempt.

he is

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Still no word on if Jeff asked one of the wonder twins to waive?

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky

Aye Doc posted:

jimmy murphy makes up poo poo about the NHL every day of his life

I've legitimately never seen any of his rumors come to fruition

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

ThinkTank posted:

As of now no, but Jimmy Murphy is legit. He's a pretty big Boston reporter and verified on twitter. He's not a crank with a blog.

https://twitter.com/MurphysLaw74/status/874284556362420228

This is a joke right cause Jimmy Murphy is a Grade A Shitbird

Jamwad Hilder posted:

I agree.

Also I guess I'll do Boston's probable protection list since that seems to be the discussion now:

They'll almost certainly do 7-3-1
Forwards:
Patrice Bergeron
Brad Marchand
David Krejci (NMC)
David Backes (NMC)
David Pastrnak
Riley Nash
Ryan Spooner

Defensemen:
Zdeno Chara (NMC)
Torey Krug
Kevin Miller or Colin Miller (it should be Colin IMO)

Goalie:
Tuukka Rask

Carlo, McAvoy, Vatrano, and a few other guys are all exempt.

So that leaves as notable exposed players:
Whichever Miller doesn't get protected
Matt Beleskey
Jimmy Hayes
Adam McQuaid
Anton Khudobin
Malcolm Subban

This seems the most likely to me too. I just know they're gonna keep K.Miller over C.Miller and I'm gonna hate every second of it

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The best thing about Jimmy Murphy is he has a Twitter for his hockey blog, where he is the only writer, that's separate from his regular Twitter.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Flyers Protection list

Forwards
Giroux (NMC)
Flippula (NMC)
Simmonds (NMC)
Schenn
Vorachek
Couturier
Laughton

Defense
Ghost Bear
Gudas
Manning

Goalie
Stolarz

Other options: Flyers can go with Cousins/Weal/Read/etc instead of Laughton. They're all kinda JAGy to an extent. Andrew MacDonald instead of Manning because the Flyers org really loves Andrew MacDonald for some insane reason

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Supposedly Calgary is interested in MAF, as well. Lebrun said as such. Both him and Friedman think MTL are gonna trade Galchenyuk, thus ensuring that MTL retain their loving idiot heavyweight championship.

Ugh, I do not loving want MAF. He's too easily rattled. WIsh we could get Antti Ranta somehow, or maybe just sign Mike Condon, call up Jon Gillies, and call it a day.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Flyers Protection list

Forwards
Giroux (NMC)
Flippula (NMC)
Simmonds (NMC)
Schenn
Vorachek
Couturier
Laughton

Defense
Ghost Bear
Gudas
Manning

Goalie
Stolarz

Other options: Flyers can go with Cousins/Weal/Read/etc instead of Laughton. They're all kinda JAGy to an extent. Andrew MacDonald instead of Manning because the Flyers org really loves Andrew MacDonald for some insane reason

I wouldn't mind Weal getting the protection instead. Laughton never seems to have found a spot on the team.

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

YKNOW THERES ONLY ONE DIRECTION I KNOW AND THATS DRIVIN STRAIGHT TO THE NET

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Flyers Protection list

I more or less agree but I'd protect Raffl over Laughton or any of the other guys, he's the only one who's really had a consistent NHL role and isn't a broken shell of his former self (RIP Matt Read :rip:).

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Second source RE: MAF

https://twitter.com/renlavoietva/status/874330582632861697

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/renlavoietva/status/874330582632861697

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
MAF has 3 Cups, a Gold Medal and almost every franchise goaltending stat for the Pens and you guys are acting like getting that kind of talent is a bad thing. You should all feel shame for that and THANKFUL that your shitass team is even in the same breath as the almighty St Marc.

But seriously, I will be sad to see him go and will never boo him. Can't wait until he comes back and retires as a Pen and they retire his number and on the day they raise his number he drives past the arena and then in an attempt to get back, overcompensates and ends up in Heinz Field on his head.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

Is there any incentive for teams not to go nuts handing out bad contracts? It seems like either the league or some other dumbass GM or the player himself are more than willing to bail you out.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Only Las Vegas. Overtime, guaranteed! (Isn't that what we were told back in the Versus days?)

This is why we can't have nice things, guys. :(

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Mike_V posted:

Is there any incentive for teams not to go nuts handing out bad contracts? It seems like either the league or some other dumbass GM or the player himself are more than willing to bail you out.

I mean the Blackhawks are no longer contenders because of that very thing, so yes?

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I mean the Blackhawks are no longer contenders because of that very thing, so yes?

After three cups, finishing atop the West this past year, and teams extending their viability by taking bad contracts off their hands for good returns.

Iodised QQ
Jul 23, 2004

Isles are probably gonna have the funkiest looking protection list if their roster is the same on the 18th as it is today

A lot of people think it'll shake out like this -

Forwards

Tavares
Ladd (nmc)
Lee

Defense

Leddy
Boychuk (nmc)
Hamonic
De Haan
Pulock

Goalie

Greiss

Which is why the odds are incredibly high that the isles make at least one trade, probably involving Hamonic or de Haan, for a forward in the next few days. Ryan strome and brock Nelson also have a high chance to move since they'd be unprotected anyway and still have some value.

whatis
Jun 6, 2012

JollyPubJerk posted:

you're stupid and wrong. With Ennis and Moulson on the roster you don't make the surefire target Bogosian. Everyone looked awful under Bylsma.

All three make within 600k of one another, but Bogosian is the most expensive in terms of average cap hit and he has more term left on his contract. Bogo probably has the best odds of rebounding (they're still not good odds), but assuming similar "production" going forward, all three of him, Moulson, and Ennis are extremely replaceable by players that make way less money. Exposing Bogo is not a stupid move, but by all means, continue thinking the bad player who gets paid more money and is on the books for longer is more valuable than the other bad players.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Mike_V posted:

After three cups, finishing atop the West this past year, and teams extending their viability by taking bad contracts off their hands for good returns.

Of course, I'm just saying the luck runs out eventually, and that's assuming you have the benefit of dumb teams doing the same for you that they did for Chicago.

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high
Here ill do who should montreal protect

Pacioretty
Galchenyuk
Gallagher

Price

Expose everybody else

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Capitals will likely be 7-3-1. My guesses:

Forwards
Ovechkin
Backstrom
Kuznetsov
Burakovsky
Johansson
Wilson
Eller

Defensemen
Niskanen
Orlov
Carlson

Goalie
Holtby

It'll likely be Grubauer or Schmidt that gets selected. Honestly I'd like to see them try to trade Carlson for a good young forward and protect that forward and expose either Eller or Wilson in his place. I really want them to keep Nate Schmidt. He good.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

The Ottawa Hockey Karlssons protect list

Erik Karlsson.

I'm goin on break.

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

inside source: hornqvist is having some kind of surgery

Glambags
Dec 28, 2003

Matt Zerella posted:

Still no word on if Jeff asked one of the wonder twins to waive?

There are apparently "rumors" that the rangers "could" buy out Girardi but good luck finding any reputable corroboration

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
So my thought is to go like last season, and to keep this thread up until the draft, at which point we'll put up the Offseason N/V and FA thread.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I think the parity talk is a little overrated. Like someone said this isn't different from most periods in NHL history, and if you look at the cup runners-up, you see a pretty big list of teams that could have won a cup if the Finals (not entirely a crapshoot, but a 7-game series can still swing by chance) had turned out differently- Nashville, San Jose, Philly, Rangers, Vancouver.

e) it's also funny that the "NHL has no parity" evidence is like, "only four teams won over an 8 year period!!!" like, what do you want, two different teams in the Finals every year?

Feels Villeneuve fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Jun 12, 2017

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I do.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Vegas/Carolina Stanley Cup Final 2018, book it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
What is the first final with negative viewer ratings, Alex?

• Locked thread