Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
I think Cody has had some pretty drat good matches and all he needs is someone like Okada to bring a great match out of him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

The_Rob posted:

I think Cody has had some pretty drat good matches and all he needs is someone like Okada to bring a great match out of him.

I think a lot of people could have a great match with Okada without being anything special themselves though.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.
Cody's main problem is that his wrestling name is Cody.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

So many great parts to the match last night, but my favorite subtle bit is in the post match where Okada looks beaten and unexcited. When the gold confetti goes off he lies in the ring, celebrating nothing.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

https://twitter.com/jaudiowrestling/status/874146329647128576
https://twitter.com/jaudiowrestling/status/874146689656815616
https://twitter.com/jaudiowrestling/status/874146897346285568

https://twitter.com/jaudiowrestling/status/874144905429262336

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Is that the actual bracket? If so, holy poo poo, Kenny v Naito in the semis and Juice almost certainly going to the finals, that's dope. On the other hand, I find it really hard to believe they would put Juice over either of those guys, yet also really hard to believe they would put the US belt on either of them when putting it on Juice would make a ton of sense.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Naito wins the US title then destroys it straight away. The American expansion ends with Billy Gunn telling America to suck it.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..
i wouldn't be so sure that Kenny is beating Elgin

Jubs
Jul 11, 2006

Boy, I think it's about time I tell you the difference between a man and a woman. A woman isn't a woman unless she's pretty. And a man isn't a man unless he's ugly.
If Kenny has a trios match, he's not winning his first round match.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
ROH's new Champ losing to New Japan's Champion on US soil will make me so happy.

Jubs posted:

If Kenny has a trios match, he's not winning his first round match.

Hmmm

TwoDogs1Cup
May 28, 2008

DOUGIE DOUGIE DOUGIE! MY LOVE, HE MAKES MY EMPTY HEART FULL! DOUGIE! THE BEST FOREVER THE BEST DOUGIEEE! <3 <3 - TwoDougies1Cup
Cody "3*" Rhodes

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

G1 US cards

US title tournament single elimination. First round: Lethal/Hangman Page, Juice/ZSJ, Ishii/Naito, Elgin/Omega
Semifinals/finals on Night 2
Okada/Cody main events Night 1, Night 2 will be Tana's first IC title defense against Billy Gunn
Tag title rematches: Night 1 is GOD/War Machine, Night 2 Young Bucks/RPG Vice

Kizuna Road shows happening before G1 US. These smaller shows (that'll set up the G1) will all be on New Japan World sans English commentary. First show will reveal G1 participants, second will reveal blocks, third will reveal matchups. Title matches on all 3 shows:
June 20: LIJ defend NEVER trios titles against Taguchi, Juice, and KUSHIDA
June 26: Suzuki defends NEVER title against YOSHI-HASHI
June 27: KUSHIDA defends IWGP Jr title against BUSHI

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
After watching Okada-Omega II i still think the first one was better but that was magnificent. All the shout outs to the first match were great but i preferred Omega in the first match using EVERYONES finisher and the kitchen sink. Its purely aesthetics there vs this matches story of v triggers v dropkicks.

My main nitpick that took me out was that Omega by the end had taken five rainmakers and i'm conditioned to view it as a one hit KO (or at worst three). By the third rainmaker i said to myself "by wrestling law Omega should be clinically dead." Towards the end i was shouting PIN HIM HE IS DEAD.

The protection of the One Winged Angel was brilliant.

TwoDogs1Cup
May 28, 2008

DOUGIE DOUGIE DOUGIE! MY LOVE, HE MAKES MY EMPTY HEART FULL! DOUGIE! THE BEST FOREVER THE BEST DOUGIEEE! <3 <3 - TwoDougies1Cup
http://www.f4wonline.com/wrestling-observer-radio/wor-new-japan-dominion-okada-vs-omega-long-beach-matches-tons-more-237131

quote:

Dave says that if Cody won after Kenny couldn't do it, it could be a wonderful story, as he "took Kenny's win".

Please stop trying to make Cody a thing...

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
The short arm clothesline isn't a Rainmaker unless he spins them, is it? I thought it was only a death sentence if he spins them.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

No spin Rain Maker only makes you mostly dead.

Food Court Druid
Jul 17, 2007

Boredom is always counter-revolutionary. Always.

Sanguinia posted:

Is that the actual bracket? If so, holy poo poo, Kenny v Naito in the semis and Juice almost certainly going to the finals, that's dope. On the other hand, I find it really hard to believe they would put Juice over either of those guys, yet also really hard to believe they would put the US belt on either of them when putting it on Juice would make a ton of sense.

I could see Kenny and/or Naito losing their quarterfinal matches. It seems like NJPW doesn't want to give any really big matches away on this show, and they can get their wins back during G-1. Juice beating Naito in the finals would be a great payoff to their spring feud, though.

Also, Billy Gunn in a NJPW main event is hilarious to me.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Food Court Druid posted:

"Okada got a four star match out of Bad Luck Fale"
"Hold my beer"

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Food Court Druid posted:

I could see Kenny and/or Naito losing their quarterfinal matches. It seems like NJPW doesn't want to give any really big matches away on this show, and they can get their wins back during G-1. Juice beating Naito in the finals would be a great payoff to their spring feud, though.

I'm assuming the US title match is the main event of Day 2.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Baron Corbyn posted:

I'm assuming the US title match is the main event of Day 2.

I'd assume semi-main since the IC is like a half-step behind the IWGP title and so it generally tops one of the cards during two-day events.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

The Cameo posted:

I'd assume semi-main since the IC is like a half-step behind the IWGP title and so it generally tops one of the cards during two-day events.

yeah, but usually those matches don't have Billy Gunn in them and these shows are being booked around the tournament.

YourHumbleMessiah
Oct 11, 2005

I can't get over the Kenny collapsing spot to dodge the Rainmaker. SO unbelievably good.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

YourHumbleMessiah posted:

I can't get over the Kenny collapsing spot to dodge the Rainmaker. SO unbelievably good.

I also thought about how good it was that the one time Kenny is able to hit the one winged angel and it was just too close to the ropes. That was so cool.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Lid posted:

After watching Okada-Omega II i still think the first one was better but that was magnificent. All the shout outs to the first match were great but i preferred Omega in the first match using EVERYONES finisher and the kitchen sink. Its purely aesthetics there vs this matches story of v triggers v dropkicks.

My main nitpick that took me out was that Omega by the end had taken five rainmakers and i'm conditioned to view it as a one hit KO (or at worst three). By the third rainmaker i said to myself "by wrestling law Omega should be clinically dead." Towards the end i was shouting PIN HIM HE IS DEAD.

The protection of the One Winged Angel was brilliant.

It takes like 3 Rainmakers to put away every challenger these days.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

MassRafTer posted:

It takes like 3 Rainmakers to put away every challenger these days.

there was some maybe-overly-marky blog post I kinda liked that basically was like "the day Okada loses is the day he lets go of the wrist, because the whole point isn't the Rainmaker itself, it's his ability to do them repeatedly"

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I just can't get into any 60 minute draws. I can acknowledge, holy gently caress that was an incredible display of the sport and also feel sort of underwhelmed. There's long-term storytelling and then there's just kind of delaying things for the sake of it. That said if any feud deserves to be extended, it's Okada/Omega.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

SamuraiFoochs posted:

I just can't get into any 60 minute draws. I can acknowledge, holy gently caress that was an incredible display of the sport and also feel sort of underwhelmed. There's long-term storytelling and then there's just kind of delaying things for the sake of it. That said if any feud deserves to be extended, it's Okada/Omega.

Did you know the result before you watched it? I think that makes a huge difference.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Skinty McEdger posted:

Did you know the result before you watched it? I think that makes a huge difference.

Granted, I did. Heard about it before I watched it. That said, they telegraphed it to gently caress with the dropkick staggers in the last few minutes. Even watching it live I'd have known they were gonna do the draw by about three minutes left.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Yeah, admittedly around the time they were openly saying "x minutes left" it was pretty clear where it was going

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Chris James 2 posted:

Yeah, admittedly around the time they were openly saying "x minutes left" it was pretty clear where it was going

They always say that though.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

i watched it live and with 30 seconds remaining, i still thought omega was going to win for sure. but i'm an optimist. kushida/takahashi 1 was my moty before but watching kenny/omega 2 was one of my favorite wrestling experiences in years.

as someone who is planning on going, the announced stuff for g1 in long beach really bums me out.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Granted, I did. Heard about it before I watched it. That said, they telegraphed it to gently caress with the dropkick staggers in the last few minutes. Even watching it live I'd have known they were gonna do the draw by about three minutes left.

If you didn't know they were going to do a draw until 57 minutes in a 60 minute match that is pretty impressive on their part. I went in assuming draw, then when the Bullet Club came out had my mind changed, then around 50 I assumed draw again. Not sure why knowing a draw is happening is any different than knowing a guy is going to win. In the end the story is still has a great arc and to me felt satisfying at the end.

MassRafTer fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Jun 12, 2017

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..
Taichi is working the AJPW Sumo Hall show and Kitamura and Oka are working the next AJPW rookie show against Akiyama and Omori. People are wondering if there might be an AJPW guy in the G1 but while it's possible i'm kind of skeptical. It's probably leading to Nagata/Nakanishi vs. Akiyama/Omori on AJPW's October Yokohama show to celebrate all their 25th years in wrestling. Who knows what more may come of the relationship in future.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug
I knew how it ended and I still bit on that loving One-Winged Angel, drat. That dropkick from Okada on the floor with Kenny going into the barrier, too, gently caress. And that last Rainmaker was loving death. Wrestling! It's good.

I don't know why I listened to the English broadcast though, man, Kelly and Corino are the loving worrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrst.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I was positive it was gonna be a draw before the match started, I can spot a finisher-near-the-ropes spot from a mile away, I said to myself "Kenny, you're too close to the ropes." when he had him up and I bit so loving hard anyway.

I guess that means they built up his finisher pretty good? This was my first Omega match and when he hit it I thought Okada was just loving dead.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle
one winged angel is supposed to be instakill, yeah. which is good because otherwise its such a convoluted setup it'd be absurd to not be a super move.

I was lucky and kept myself from spoilers for Omega okada, tanahashi naito, and Takahashi kushida. my sweet sweet perfect boy ticking time bomb was unjustly robbed by the thug kushida. I totally thought okada was gonna beat the time limit on that last rainmaker too.

Thrifting Day!
Nov 25, 2006

I liked KUSHIDA/Takahashi more than Omega/Okada.

Thrifting Day!
Nov 25, 2006

Deathlove posted:

I don't know why I listened to the English broadcast though, man, Kelly and Corino are the loving worrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrst.

Corino has been with WWE since after WK.

But yeah English commentary is terrible. Like it threatens to be good at points, but then it reverts to jokes Jerry Lawler stopped doing 2 decades ago

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Thrifting Day! posted:

Corino has been with WWE since after WK.

But yeah English commentary is terrible. Like it threatens to be good at points, but then it reverts to jokes Jerry Lawler stopped doing 2 decades ago

Yeah, I meant Callis, I just keep writing Corino. Gimme Striker over Callis, drat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raeg
Jul 7, 2008

The top 1% of ducks have control of 99.9% of the bread.

Deathlove posted:

Yeah, I meant Callis, I just keep writing Corino. Gimme Striker over Callis, drat.

No

• Locked thread