Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Did I say the action wasn't clear? It's just tooooo much poo poo going on. Especially in the finale. And BVS is so much worse. It's just noise and lights endlessly going off.

I much preferred every action scene Snyder has done up until then. Even that insane Sucker Punch train battle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

CelticPredator posted:

It is not very good. It's the worst action Snyder has ever done.

Also Wonder Woman's action scenes are great because what those scenes are about is great. So you can divorce it from context and study them, but that would take away the main reason why that scene rules.

That No Mans Land scene is pure visual storytelling, just how a good action scene should be.

*overlays Chariots of Fire song over a Friskies cat food commercial*
"drat. That's...that's just the best action scene I've ever seen. It's beautiful."
*bunches of floofy kittens clumsily slo-mo slide into a wall*
"...pure visual storytelling."
*sheds a tear at revelation of pure art*

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I dunno, if they gave me enough to care about that cat, that scene could be rad.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

CelticPredator posted:

Did I say the action wasn't clear? It's just tooooo much poo poo going on. Especially in the finale. And BVS is so much worse. It's just noise and lights endlessly going off.

I much preferred every action scene Snyder has done up until then. Even that insane Sucker Punch train battle.

I guess you didn't, but I couldn't tell what else "a visual nightmare of CGI" was supposed to be citing as a negative. Like, in that Faora gif there's not a shitload of distracting stuff in the background that makes the action hard to follow, or a shitload of distracting stuff in the foreground that makes the action hard to see, and the line of action itself is a pretty straightforward left-to-right thing whose timing effectively communicates the central character's speed and power... so what's the big deal? Surely you're not making the "ugh, so much CGI, what about PRACTICAL EFFECTS" complaint in a movie about guys who punch through airplanes.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

khwarezm posted:

Even at the outbreak of war its hard to say that it was actually an intended outcome by any of the parties involved, I'd suggest reading a book called 'the Sleepwalkers' by Chris Clark that shows how much of a clusterfuck things were at the very highest governmental and diplomatic circles. The Kaiser for example, despite popular associations, seems to have been desperate to avoid a war while difficult to control elements of populist nationalism, like that which lead to Franz Ferdinand being killed, helped force events along without much control from above. When the war actually happened there were numerous atrocities carried out by regular troops in places like Serbia and Belgium.

World War 1 is probably the best example I can think of for what you're talking about, at the end of the day I don't think you could have just taken down the bad guys in each country's respective government or military and the war would have just stopped, there was way too much momentum behind it and its something that the movie gets right.

A slight quibble, Kaiser wanted to prevent Britain from entering the war and to a smaller extent Russia (even that was ambigious). But the dude was all for Serbia being attacked by Austria, to the point of promising to back them with military forces to forestall Russia. And his gallivanting, chauvinisitic efforts to make Germany a "great nation" set the stage for WWI.

But also yeah the military brass and the German elite were hungry for a battle after militarization of the past decades.

As far as the film, full of great parts that I'm enjoying remembering currently. Didn't cohere perfectly though which makes sense with the hasty last minute changes, but extremely enjoyable and I'm sure I'll be catching it plenty of times in the future.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Ferrinus posted:

I guess you didn't, but I couldn't tell what else "a visual nightmare of CGI" was supposed to be citing as a negative. Like, in that Faora gif there's not a shitload of distracting stuff in the background that makes the action hard to follow, or a shitload of distracting stuff in the foreground that makes the action hard to see, and the line of action itself is a pretty straightforward left-to-right thing whose timing effectively communicates the central character's speed and power... so what's the big deal?

It's competently put together, but when you've seen, say, Jackie Chan films that feature action sequences that appear more superhuman than a film about superhumans, the director is doing something wrong. Everything about the fight scenes in MoS and BvS were just so pedestrian. He tried to make animated style fight scenes translate to live action, and failed.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Davros1 posted:

It's competently put together, but when you've seen, say, Jackie Chan films that feature action sequences that appear more superhuman than a film about superhumans, the director is doing something wrong. Everything about the fight scenes in MoS and BvS were just so pedestrian. He tried to make animated style fight scenes translate to live action, and failed.

What I'm not seeing here is reference to any specific mistake or deficiency.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Ferrinus posted:

Well now, they're supposed to be more "superhuman" than Jackie Chan fight scenes. If Jackie Chan is more superhuman, then there is something wrong.

I don't understand it either.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Davros1 posted:

It's competently put together, but when you've seen, say, Jackie Chan films that feature action sequences that appear more superhuman than a film about superhumans, the director is doing something wrong.

Either that, or Man of Steel and BvS are about humanizing the superhuman, and apparently wildly successful at it.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
I like how Tony Zhou made one video essay contrasting Hong Kong and U.S. action cinema - which didn't even reference Snyder at all - but now it's just a feather in the cap 'explaining why something is bad,' rather than clarifying what one has to do with the other.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

K. Waste posted:

I like how Tony Zhou made one video essay contrasting Hong Kong and U.S. action cinema - which didn't even reference Snyder at all - but now it's just a feather in the cap 'explaining why something is bad,' rather than clarifying what one has to do with the other.

Yeah. One of the key points in that video is about how Jackie Chan keeps action and reaction in the same shot. Which have made previous instances of people trying to apply that video to Snyder as criticism pretty funny, considering the guy's love for long tracking shots of continuous action.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Ferrinus posted:

"Pedestrian" + "failed" = "it's just bad"

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Sir Kodiak posted:

Yeah. One of the key points in that video is about how Jackie Chan keeps action and reaction in the same shot. Which have made previous instances of people trying to apply that video to Snyder as criticism pretty funny, considering the guy's love for long tracking shots of continuous action.

Don't forget wide angle lenses!

Obviously, there are both aesthetic and thematic deviations that Zhou's essay supports. For instance: Chan combines production design with choreography so that his character, no matter how invulnerable, always appears to be the underdog. The closest Snyder has gotten to an underdog story is Sucker Punch.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

I loving love Hong Kong action movies, but every action scene does not need to look like that. And without dudes like Sammy Hung and Yuen Biao and Donnie Yen playing the main characters getting that style of filming is almost impossible because you've got to cut often and use weird angles to obscure that it's stunt men doing everything and not actors because the actors can't do that poo poo.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Also, you probably can't do 450 takes of a stunt to get it so that it looks perfect.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Martman posted:

"Pedestrian" + "failed" = "it's just bad"

It's just so... boring. So generic. So unengaging. Completely uninspired. Totally amateurish. Entirely humdrum. Just boilerplate. Simply d(continues for several hours)

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Fokker Eindeckers in use at the end of 1918? LoL okay.

(Kidding. Movie rules, but only after they leave the island).

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Ferrinus posted:

It's just so... boring. So generic. So unengaging. Completely uninspired. Totally amateurish. Entirely humdrum. Just boilerplate. Simply d(continues for several hours)

The "CGI NightmareTM" thing also roughly describes 90+% of all super hero films. Heroes fight villains, one or both are CG or else/also there is heavy use of CG in creating the effects, movie ends. I was going to start listing the Marvel/Sony/Fox examples but stopped at like 10 in a row. I don't understand singling out DC movies except that of course we have to, and some vague thing about "caring about the characters" negating the fact that the exact complaints happen everywhere.

Guy A. Person fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Jun 12, 2017

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
To be fair, nearly every super hero/comic book movie ends with a really terrible fight. WW almost surpassed that but made the error of having Ares change outfits and become mundane. I got the point of the imagery, I just didn't like it nearly as much as I wanted to.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The only reason I don't apply the same criticisms to Guardians 2 is simply that the character work was so strong to me, that while it was super messy and kind of way over the top, I was invested in Peter and his father.

That's the only reason why I give most big bombastic CGI filled insane endings a pass.

And that's why, while the final battle to Wonder Woman was real lame, I still felt a small tinge of something because she was a fantastic character.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

It might be difficult to portray Supermans raw power with practical effects.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Davros1 posted:

Supreman has never actually been a good fighter. He's always just got by on raw power. Real people like Jackie Chan have to actually develop skill to be effective. Same is true in Man of Steel, he's never learned to fight, so he just flails around while he gets beat on by real soldiers.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

movie really could have done without gal gadot breaking character and delivering a ten minute monologue on the moral righteousness of settlements in gaza

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

R. Guyovich posted:

movie really could have done without gal gadot breaking character and delivering a ten minute monologue on the moral righteousness of settlements in gaza

on the contrary, this is the best part

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Zack Snyder's action scenes rule, I'm not sure how anyone comes to another conclusion, especially when the competition is poo poo like Civil War. Zack Snyder made Abbie Cornish not just a plausible action hero, but pushed her hard enough in training that she could perform one of the slickest on screen reloads I've seen.

Wonder Woman is a notch below that, which is fine. Snyder has been doing elaborate action scenes in his films for 13 years now. He's had a long time to polish his style. Patty Jenkins has not.

The movie was really good. I wish it had been a little longer, since everything up to the ball feels a bit rushed, since there's just so much to get through. Same issue as Captain America.

I also like that immediately after we're told the armistice was engineered to be untenable by a man masquerading as a British diplomat, we smash cut to people waving British flags. Nationalism is alive and well, and that's Ares ultimate victory.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

SAMEER: I wanted to be an actor, but I'm the wrong color.
GAL GADOT: *tugs collar*

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

ungulateman posted:

on the contrary, this is the best part

it wasn't as exciting as that scene where scarlett johansson was shilling for sodastream

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

R. Guyovich posted:

What?

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Well, the amazons of Themiscyra are only earth's second most moral military.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Let's not derail this thread with an argument over Israel/Palestine.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Something something bringing political rhetoric into film, can't separate art from the artist, etc., etc.

Charlz Guybon posted:

Let's not derail this thread with an argument over Israel/Palestine.

Yes, let's not do this please.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

That post was funny you guys are numbnuts

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

This movie was okay at best.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Israel has done nothing wrong

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

R. Guyovich posted:

On 2nd thought the Ancient Greeks were all about planting settler colonies in already populated areas, so maybe she'd be down with it.

Magna Graecia did nothing wrong!

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
LMAO at people looking at the scene where Ares is blatantly manipulating the Lasso of Truth with his god powers and assuming he's telling the truth because he says so

I think ending the film after ludendorf's death would make a much better story but I guess that wouldn't be morally clear and heroic enough

Shoutouts to the scene where Wonder Woman ignores the World Engine to save Metropolis from Zod and then everyone dies though

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Phylodox posted:

I'm assuming you're talking about Gal Gadot's boobs. Aside from being a pretty creepy thing to say, she's not particularly flat-chested. Unless you're comparing her to how, like, Frank Cho draws Wonder Woman, but his style is almost entirely cheesecake.

Gadot has ended up talking about her boobs on so many of the pressers she's been doing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QA8pQMJrcNY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4aUSzq_EA1A
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w1ziZIC6uwA

Boob trolls :haw:

BobKnob
Jul 23, 2002

Vikings are pirates only cooler. Oh yeah not a furry.
Like Ghostbusters, this is merely an average movie. Gadot is not a good actress and not a good fit for WW. Gadot has no gravitas. She has three facial expressions, naive dopeyness, petulant "angry", and sad. I guess that is what you get when you cast a glorified extra from a lesser Fast and Furious movie. CGI was glaring in some places. Ares sucked completely. The General sucked and seemed to have no motivation besides "being EVILLLL". I think he even had a "bad guy laugh" moment at some point? Dr. Poison was ALMOST interesting, but they didn't do anything with her. Chris Pine was fine. His First Avengeresque sacrifice wasn't. Fight scenes, with the exception of the Dragonball Z end fight and anything to do with the sentient neon lasso, were pretty good.. I was also glad that they attempted to somewhat humanize the German soldiers at the end rather than keep them as faceless proto-Nazis that were only fit to be gunned down. It was the best movie in the Snyderverse so far, but that isn't saying much.

Looking forward to Captain Marvel.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

BobKnob posted:

Looking forward to Captain Marvel.

Yeah I can't wait for Marvel's first woman super hero after like 10 years either

EDIT: wait did you mean Captain Marvel as in Shazam?? Maybe I was being pointlessly bitchy

Guy A. Person fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Jun 13, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Guy A. Person posted:

EDIT: wait did you mean Captain Marvel as in Shazam?? Maybe I was being pointlessly bitchy

I'm guessing MCU Captain Marvel.

I've been reading Captain Marvel comics since the announcement of Brie Larson being cast, and was super excited to get into her books at the recommendation of some goons. But thus far my overall impression of the character has been lukewarm. Not a huge fan of the writing, but the art is alright. The character just doesn't affect me like Wonder Woman does. Brie Larson though :allears: Hope the film presents Captain Marvel in a more compelling way.

• Locked thread