Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Mister Adequate posted:

A fucker that tough deserves to be rescued and A Dog Said-ed into a crazy cybercatte.

Someone discovered that A Dog Said lets you attach Scyther Blades to predatory cat tails.

Just saying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tudabee
Jan 1, 2007

How many times must I remind you to WASH YOUR HANDS?

So, uh, is there any way to heal a colonist without a bed? My caravan got ambushed and everyone so far has survived, but half of those survivors are downed. My functioning doctors are hard at work fixing up those animals though! :downs:

Edit: I'm a dumbass that forgot sleeping spots exist!

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
designate a sleeping spot.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Kanos posted:

Someone discovered that A Dog Said lets you attach Scyther Blades to predatory cat tails.

Just saying.

Hahahaha oh poo poo I gotta get me a big cat

super nailgun
Jan 1, 2014

Sometimes this game is just dead on (Lolita was Engie's labrador sidekick for like 8 years).

boneration
Jan 9, 2005

now that's performance
My searching hasn't turned anything up. Is there a mod out there that will let me destroy an individual item without using the bills menu? Ideally I could select the item and a button would appear on the bottom saying Destroy, or maybe it would be on a right click menu.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
That's why I leave dev mode on, it allows this.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

How much medicine does each type of wound take? I sent some guys after a precious mineral deposit, and met a manhunter camel pack there. I killed them all, but all my guys got bruised and apparently 10 medicine was not nearly enough for 5 guys? Now they're wallowing in the rain in a permanent sad-spiral in this temporary map because they're all wounded and taking forever to heal because I had to treat them all without medicine. Do I just keep drop podding food at them until they all stop breaking down? Right now they're either asleep or having a mental break, nobody will stay up long enough to put a roof on the nearby ruin to sleep in. So they're sad they're sleeping outside, sad that they're sleeping on the ground, sad about everything.

I think my colonists have it too good in my colony, they break down as soon as they leave the comforts of home...

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

A Moose posted:

How much medicine does each type of wound take? I sent some guys after a precious mineral deposit, and met a manhunter camel pack there. I killed them all, but all my guys got bruised and apparently 10 medicine was not nearly enough for 5 guys? Now they're wallowing in the rain in a permanent sad-spiral in this temporary map because they're all wounded and taking forever to heal because I had to treat them all without medicine. Do I just keep drop podding food at them until they all stop breaking down? Right now they're either asleep or having a mental break, nobody will stay up long enough to put a roof on the nearby ruin to sleep in. So they're sad they're sleeping outside, sad that they're sleeping on the ground, sad about everything.

I think my colonists have it too good in my colony, they break down as soon as they leave the comforts of home...

Drop pod a healthy colonist and build the basic shelter with them. If you have mood-enhancers, those would be handy in this situation too.

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters

A Moose posted:

I think its a med pack per injury that has a circle next to it, which when treated gets an x over it.

I kinda have the same question about pawns being unhappy though i have one now that gets salty as gently caress when they arent in extreme comfort but i cant really tell why specifically or what trait makes them that way.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

The "Extremely Low Expectations" mood buff (+25) gradually decreases as your colony gets more blinged up, so people that were totally fine on embark may end up being huge crybabies later on in the same rooms/furniture.

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters

Flesh Forge posted:

The "Extremely Low Expectations" mood buff (+25) gradually decreases as your colony gets more blinged up, so people that were totally fine on embark may end up being huge crybabies later on in the same rooms/furniture.

Ahh thanks i didnt notice that was dropping.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

There really needs to be an "adventuring" or "camping" mood buff or something to make up for that. It should at least give you a couple days of sleeping on the ground before breaking and wandering for days. Maybe just a "glad to reach destination" or something.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Efexeye posted:

my opening game routine is this:

1. pick a spot that is hopefully defensible at least on one side
2. lay out a roofed storage zone that can accommodate everything (6*6 is usually good, with a separate zone for raw materials, chunks and stone blocks since they don't need to be roofed)
3. set all pawns to do nothing but priority 1 haul until they can get the food and meds into the shade
4. build pawns+1 number of beds
5. plant a 10*10 potato field ASAP
6. dig out and power an 11*11 fridge
7. set up a kitchen connected to the fridge
8. set up a dining room/rec room connected to the kitchen (two entrances, one only from the kitchen, and a zone for Just Meals ensures your filthy pawns don't track in mud to the whole fridge)
9. get pawns individual bedrooms
10. dig out and fit a crafting/research room

...all the while working on a 2x wide stone border wall

edit: here is my current setup as an example:

thanks for this!

Miss Lonelyhearts
Mar 22, 2003

I do a similar thing w/ my starts but also combine my dining room with my rec room and start filling it with good art asap. I set mandatory joy for everyone @ the same time of day, it turns the dining room into a real hot spot and people get mood improvements for eating in there and being around each other. If I'm stuck with someone abusive or ugly or something negative, I set their joy at a different time otherwise they end up getting into fights.

I also make a small room for a butcher table near the freezer and kitchen asap but, like mentioned above, don't have people tracking bloody/dirty parts through your kitchen b/c it'll increase food poisonings.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER
I tend to have two gaudy rooms: the combined dining/rec area, and the mega-workshop. The latter keeps people working longer/more productive as they still get the spacious/beauty bonuses while working. Add good arm chairs to the workbenches and they get full comfort too.

It the two are far apart you can also put a table in the workshop as colonists tend to pack a lunch and eat it off the ground if it's too far to walk back to the dining room.

creatine
Jan 27, 2012

I've just started playing this game, is there a downside to just going dwarf fortress mode and digging my base into a mountain? My current set up has everything inside but my geothermal vent, solar panels, and farms are in a steel wall enclosed area outside the mountain.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

creatine posted:

I've just started playing this game, is there a downside to just going dwarf fortress mode and digging my base into a mountain? My current set up has everything inside but my geothermal vent, solar panels, and farms are in a steel wall enclosed area outside the mountain.

Continue playing and find out. ;)

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

creatine posted:

Only downside is the bugs.

As heironymous alloy says:
they come out of the goddamn walls

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

I posted this on the official forums, but I'll say it here too: there needs to be a way to prevent infestations. Maybe some type of floor tile that is both expensive and ugly as sin, but prevents bugs from spawning there. Or "thumpers" that keep away bugs in a certain radius, but generate a lot of noise complaints from pawns.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

creatine posted:

Fun fact! Steel walls can burn. Use granite. Also bugs happen inside mountains. Be ready to seal off parts of your base and light them on fire. I like to have 2 sets of doors in each doorway, a stone door and then a wood door inside. I can open the stone door from the outside and light the wood in the room on fire and cook all the bugs. Of course you then lose everything in that room, but also nobody gets parts chopped off.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Alternatively send your bionic supersoldiers with their occult cuthulu powers into battle and show those filthy xenos who the actual boss of the mountain is.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER
Is there a mod where I can cryogenically freeze dead colonists/colonist heads and then bring them back to life later?

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

How do you light things on fire?

I really wish you could fix animals through surgery to make them sterile. I got dogs thinking i could sell the extras but they breed faster than i can get the silver to sell them. Looks like im gonna be eating a bunch of dogs :(

Also 1k silver to call a caravan sucks. I get the idea but i wish we could pay with gold or steel or food etc. as well. Especially since the caravans that come seem to have like 800 or 1000 silver so i always have to scrounge up more to call another one.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

DogonCrook posted:

molotov cocktails.

also, bribe your preferred trading partners. the cost to call a caravan goes down the more they like you.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
I'm kinda sad that all but two of my raids so far have been deep ones or a pack of rabid terriers. I have a fantastic altar built, surrounded by quite luxurious accommodations but no humans to...fuel...my relationships with any of the unspeakable horrors my scientist has descended into madness to preach about. One of them gives the psychopath trait! Thinking about making that one mandatory as a part of the initiation into the Children of the Six Pointed Sun.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Why wait for them to come to you? You could get to them, and bring them back to you

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!

DogonCrook posted:

I really wish you could fix animals through surgery to make them sterile. I got dogs thinking i could sell the extras but they breed faster than i can get the silver to sell them. Looks like im gonna be eating a bunch of dogs :(

If you want to control the population just change the sex ratio. To lower the breeding rate sell only females until it's where you like it. If it gets too slow start selling only males.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

You can separate the males and females into different animal areas to prevent them from having babies.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

That Cthulhu cultist mod is really amazing.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

ShadowHawk posted:

Is there a mod where I can cryogenically freeze dead colonists/colonist heads and then bring them back to life later?

Recon and Discovery mod is a good one. Gives you additional quest events where you can snag these items.

1) Holo emitters. Either load a pawn via floppy disk, or scan a dead pawn. That pawn is now alive again but confined to a specific area. If they go to far they are transported back into the emitters field. I have a 20 med 20 art skill doctor I keep in the infirmary crafting drugs, medicine and art.

2) Life pods. Stick your freshly dead pawns in these, pod injects them with a ton of nanites (luci) brings them back to life but addicted to luci. Haven't personally tried this one, probably getting details wrong.

I really recommend the mod, lot of neat discovery moments.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Donkringel posted:

Recon and Discovery mod is a good one. Gives you additional quest events where you can snag these items.

1) Holo emitters. Either load a pawn via floppy disk, or scan a dead pawn. That pawn is now alive again but confined to a specific area. If they go to far they are transported back into the emitters field. I have a 20 med 20 art skill doctor I keep in the infirmary crafting drugs, medicine and art.

2) Life pods. Stick your freshly dead pawns in these, pod injects them with a ton of nanites (luci) brings them back to life but addicted to luci. Haven't personally tried this one, probably getting details wrong.

I really recommend the mod, lot of neat discovery moments.

Is there a not-steam version? The mod sounds rad and I'd love a holo-colonist to live in my garbage room as a trash processor :v:

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Is there a mod the stops or adjusts skill rust rates yet?

Psychology where are you?

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Slung Blade posted:

Is there a mod the stops or adjusts skill rust rates yet?

Psychology where are you?

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=731111514&searchtext=

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Donkringel posted:

Is there anything stopping you from repeatedly resurrecting people whenever there's a raid and having a squad of nanite murder undead to protect your colony?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

The supply of luci for one

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

can you maintain a semi-living band of terminator-zombies by never feeding their addiction and just reviving them at-will in the tanks

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Coolguye posted:

The supply of luci for one

Do you need to fuel it with luciferum? because if not then just kill them and resurrect them when you need them.

Put them in the freezer in between if necessary, keeps them fresh.

Heffer
May 1, 2003

We're going full on pulling Duncon Idaho from the Ghola vats at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Or just put them in a cryopod between combats. Probably cheaper than constant resurrection.