Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Also bringing up Martha as a "Why would they address racism in the past" character is perhaps the dumbest thing you could do, both for the already stated reason, and for the entire two parter where she was forced to act as a sweet little maid girl who could not speak up against her betters for both being black and a woman.

Also the only reason it stuck out to me with this episode was just because they already played that card this very season, with the super racist fuckhead from the fish episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Chakram posted:

Man, the tumblr was strong in this episode. Why is it that anti-racists and anti-sexists are the only ones I ever see who even care what race or sex a character is? I don't remember Martha Jones having an episode-by-episode checklist of historically-relevant discrimination, new dates to reaffirm her sexual preference, and her vagina being a plot-point.

I thought I would be used to this in the Moffat era. It just seems so unintentionally shallow.

:stare: You know right away this post is going to be bad, but each new clause surprises you with just how bad it is. The opening, the enormously "doesn't get it at all" second sentence, the absolute worst comparison to reach for in terms of new Who, and then, plot points... in my vagina???

It'll be months before someone is able to assemble a worse block of words.

e: like, it's obviously presenting "anti-racists and anti-sexists" as some kind of fringe, tumblr radical group. Truly incredible.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

The_Doctor posted:

God, there's only 3 more episodes left this season. :(

that and the Christmas episode means only four more episode of The Moffat Era

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

2house2fly posted:

that and the Christmas episode means only four more episode of The Moffat Era

See, here's the thing. When we found out Moffat was taking over, I could give you a decent idea of what the Moffat era would be like before any episodes had aired, and I'd have been fairly correct in my estimations. I have absolutely no idea what a Chibnall-helmed Who will be like., and that feels incredibly weird.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
If nothing else; this season being so incredibly strong (even the Monk 3 parter had some cool ideas) gives me hope that no matter who the showrunner is, there's always the possibility for Doctor Who to be great.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

That's not a nice thing to say about Alex Sobel. :mad:

(AFAIK, he's the only MP for Leeds to actually be new)

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jckFnVO12YU

Now I wanna see her TARDIS

Sounds dope

Chakram
Jun 3, 2010

by Shine

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Because you have your head stuck in the sand the rest of the time?

Yeah, I get the feeling I'm the last person who should be complaining about internet echo chambers.

I still like Bill when she gets to be a character instead of a cluster of labels. She is the perfect culmination of Moffat's well-needed inclusiveness that sometimes comes off as corny propaganda.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
This is an interesting Twitter thread about the whole "black soldier *CONTROVERSY*" thing in the last episode.

Apparently Mark Gatiss was pretty resistant to the casting and only yielded when it turned out it *was* historically accurate:

https://twitter.com/AlishaRai/status/874294273914449921

Sad King Billy
Jan 27, 2006

Thats three of ours innit...to one of yours. You know mate I really think we ought to even up the average!

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

This is an interesting Twitter thread about the whole "black soldier *CONTROVERSY*" thing in the last episode.

Apparently Mark Gatiss was pretty resistant to the casting and only yielded when it turned out it *was* historically accurate:

https://twitter.com/AlishaRai/status/874294273914449921

That picture seems to represent nationalities from across the empire, there are quite a few different types of people represented there.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
While there may have been Black soldiers in the British Army in the 19th century, there are no records of any in any regiments that were sent to Mars.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

The_Doctor posted:

See, here's the thing. When we found out Moffat was taking over, I could give you a decent idea of what the Moffat era would be like before any episodes had aired, and I'd have been fairly correct in my estimations. I have absolutely no idea what a Chibnall-helmed Who will be like., and that feels incredibly weird.

If I had to condense my speculation down to a single word it would be "Safe". That's based entirely on all the rumors we've heard about BBC wanting a more marketable Doctor and Chibnall's almost total lack of a distinct style. I'm sure it'll be watchable and entertaining, but completely toothless and safe for general audiences. Picture Iron Man 3 or Avengers 1 in tone.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I'm curious to see what the BBC's vision of "more marketable" is.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Chakram posted:

I still like Bill when she gets to be a character instead of a cluster of labels.

At what point do you believe she has been "a cluster of labels?"

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

2house2fly posted:

I'm curious to see what the BBC's vision of "more marketable" is.

Strong rumors that they've explicitly been searching for a "David Tennant-type".

Chakram
Jun 3, 2010

by Shine

Bicyclops posted:

At what point do you believe she has been "a cluster of labels?"

Chakram posted:

an episode-by-episode checklist of historically-relevant discrimination, new dates to reaffirm her sexual preference, and her vagina being a plot-point.

I know what I said.

So are they going to explain what seized control of the TARDIS and/or why it decided to kidnap Nardole for a while?

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Chakram posted:

So are they going to explain what seized control of the TARDIS and/or why it decided to kidnap Nardole for a while?

Can we save these posts until the end of the season?

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Chakram posted:

I know what I said.

At what point has the show "used her vagina as a plot point" in any way, or, indeed, featured anything having to do with her vagina?

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
It's weird that when Bill has a couple of dates (largely used as the setup for an absurd joke) it's "checklist reminding you she's a lesbo" but when Rose has ongoing relationship drama with Mickey leading to her falling for the Doctor or Clara has an entire season dealing with her relationship with her coworker it isn't any such thing.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Strong rumors that they've explicitly been searching for a "David Tennant-type".

Luke Treadaway and Sacha Dhawan have been talked about.

It's why I remain sceptical of Kris Marshall (which I'm sure I've mentioned loads of times before). I'm sure he's a perfectly fine actor and I imagine I'm being terribly unfair to him but he doesn't exactly scream "dashing, romantic David Tennant type". Of course, that being said, taking Kris Marshall for a dashing, romantic David Tennant type seems like exactly the sort of thing the BBC would do. :v:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Wheat Loaf posted:

Luke Treadaway and Sacha Dhawan have been talked about.

It's why I remain sceptical of Kris Marshall (which I'm sure I've mentioned loads of times before). I'm sure he's a perfectly fine actor and I imagine I'm being terribly unfair to him but he doesn't exactly scream "dashing, romantic David Tennant type". Of course, that being said, taking Kris Marshall for a dashing, romantic David Tennant type seems like exactly the sort of thing the BBC would do. :v:

Oh, I can totally see them doing Luke Treadaway out of those two. Sacha Dhawan is really good, and I'd love to see what he could pull off, but if they're playing safe, he's not getting it this time around.

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

Bicyclops posted:

At what point has the show "used her vagina as a plot point" in any way, or, indeed, featured anything having to do with her vagina?

Well you see Bill has been shown to be a lesbian. And since orientation is 100% completely about genitals, anytime the shows references that in any way then it is about her vagina.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

hangedman1984 posted:

Well you see Bill has been shown to be a lesbian. And since orientation is 100% completely about genitals, anytime the shows references that in any way then it is about her vagina.

You have almost got it. See, hetero romance is balanced in genitalia representation, Dick and vagina, they cancel each other out. Two of the same on the other hand, simply unacceptable. Genitalia all over the place, it's just untidy.

Complaining about the gay agenda in Doctor Who is so 2005.

remusclaw fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Jun 12, 2017

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

"Doctor! The alien is hiding in my vagina!
"Don't worry Bill! We just have to get a man to put his penis into your vagina and the alien will come out! Have you hot a boyfriend?"
"No, Doctor, I-"
"Well we'll have to on the internet and see what we can find. I think you can often find a man on craigslis-"
Doctor! I'm a LESBIAN!"
Oh no! A LESBIAN vagina! The world is doomed!"

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Bicyclops posted:

It'll be months before someone is able to assemble a worse block of words.

Hey now, we're only a few weeks away from the finale. Have some faith!

Sad King Billy posted:

That picture seems to represent nationalities from across the empire, there are quite a few different types of people represented there.

Yeah, I'd be the first to gladly say "I stand corrected!" but there were always West Indian/Indian regiments. Did they serve with the YT's, that's the still unanswered question.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Honestly, I'd be fine with this for a regeneration or two, because what Moffat did with Capaldi was show us the Doctor still can be old and gruff after 2 young quirky Doctors. Because he can, he now doesn't have to be.

I will go on the record and say that I still am overall happy with The Moffat Era. It had some missteps, and I think the guy is a bit of an egomaniac, but there were a lot of pluses: he's a fan, but also a talented producer and showrunner so he could do perfect continuity and fanservice while appealing to a mass international audience which keeps the show on the air. He "gets" Doctor Who and what it's supposed to say. His run for the 50th was great and pretty much exactly what I wanted to see. He's been hugely supportive of Big Finish and keeping them in canon. Basically he built on all the great stuff RTD did.

While Chibnall is a bit of an unknown quantity he's still "family"--a long term Doctor Who nerd who is now a teevee professional in line with RTD, Moffat, Tennant, Capaldi, and Gatiss. So unless he has some radical crazy ideas for changing the show, he'll probably do a lot of what Moffat did, which is check off the list of the stuff he always wanted to do on Doctor Who since age 10.

CityMidnightJunky
May 11, 2013

by Smythe

2house2fly posted:

"Don't worry Bill! We just have to get a man to put his penis into your vagina and the alien will come out! Have you hot a boyfriend?"
"No, Doctor, I-"
"Well we'll have to on the internet and see what we can find. I think you can often find a man on craigslis-"
Doctor! I'm a LESBIAN!"

There was an episode of Torchwood that was actually quite close to this

From memory, there was an alien who had to have sex with people to survive, and when the victim climaxed they exploded. She tried it on with Gwen but then was all 'uh, this isn't going to work' when she realised Gwen didn't have a penis.

Torchwood was something else.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

The_Doctor posted:

Oh, I can totally see them doing Luke Treadaway out of those two.

New companion confirmed to be a street cat named Bob.

Edit: One guy I'm aware of who's stated that playing the Doctor would be his dream job is Alexander Vlahos, who I believe was in Merlin. Says he would play the character like Paul McGann did.

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Jun 13, 2017

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

CityMidnightJunky posted:

From memory, there was an alien who had to have sex with people to survive, and when the victim climaxed they exploded. She tried it on with Gwen but then was all 'uh, this isn't going to work' when she realised Gwen didn't have a penis.

What even was that show? Like a doctor who for adults who liked sexy times? When that girl turned into one of the Cybermen and HOO BOY you can almost see her vaginer, look at that! I stopped watching.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Cojawfee posted:

What even was that show? Like a doctor who for adults who liked sexy times? When that girl turned into one of the Cybermen and HOO BOY you can almost see her vaginer, look at that! I stopped watching.

Describing Torchwood as "for adults" is incredibly generous.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
I think socially liberal media can be questioned but if basically open by using "tumblr" to mean "someone on my show isn't a white male!!!!!" you can gently caress right off.

CityMidnightJunky
May 11, 2013

by Smythe

Cojawfee posted:

They also made one of the lead characters a date rapist in the first episode and completely glossed over it.

Torchwood had a (very small) number of really outstanding moments once it remembered that 'Adult' meant challenging themes and intelligent writing, but most of time they took the 'write anything you want, it's for adult's' mandate with the constraint of a 15 year old.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

DoctorWhat posted:

I actually liked season 3 and portions of 4. I'm that guy.

2house2fly posted:

"No, Doctor, I-"
Doctor! I'm a LESBIAN!"

THE FE-MALE WILL SURRENDER TO THE DAAA-LEKS! PREPARE TO OPPRESS THE HOMOSEXUAL SEX ORRRR-GANS! DISCRIMINATE! DISCRIMINATE!!! DISCRIMINAAAAAAAATE!!!!

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Bicyclops posted:

I actually liked season 3 and portions of 4. I'm that guy.

Not really. The mini series that was season 3 ended up pretty decent, and 4 was poo poo, but it did seem to have promise for the first few eps. Seasons 1 and 2 were pretty much all poo poo though.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

remusclaw posted:

Not really. The mini series that was season 3 ended up pretty decent, and 4 was poo poo, but it did seem to have promise for the first few eps. Seasons 1 and 2 were pretty much all poo poo though.

Yeah, pretty much. Four ran right off the rails, unfortunately, but it had such potential and such a good high concept. Three was its thing entirely, basically.

The first two seasons doubled down on the goddamn date rapist and worked, continuously, to let you know that he was an rear end in a top hat, make all the women have affairs with him, while he was being an rear end in a top hat, and then try to add spice to his character by making him [/spoiler]unable to die.[spoiler] It's a shame. The Captain Jack paranormal investigative committee could have legit been a good spinoff.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

They also made one of the lead characters a date rapist in the first episode and completely glossed over it.

Rapist. He wasn't even on a date with the lady (not that that makes it any less of a crime in the first place), he just walks up and tries to pick up a clearly uninterested woman who was there with her boyfriend, and when he's plainly rejected just rolls his eyes, grunts he doesn't have time to waste on anything unimportant like her rejection, disinterest and status as a human being and turns her into a piece of meat to gently caress.

It remains perhaps the worst character misstep I can ever recall in any television show, especially since once he's exposed they end the episode treating it like he was just being a naughty boy as opposed to a monstrous predator. They didn't even attempt to do something interesting with trying to slowly rehabilitate a monstrous character, you're supposed to basically be rooting for the guy/think he's cool from the start.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Also, he looks like a lizard.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

It remains perhaps the worst character misstep I can ever recall in any television show, especially since once he's exposed they end the episode treating it like he was just being a naughty boy as opposed to a monstrous predator. They didn't even attempt to do something interesting with trying to slowly rehabilitate a monstrous character, you're supposed to basically be rooting for the guy/think he's cool from the start.

In fact, there is no effort to make him learn or change at all throughout the series. He "falls in love" after knowing a character for a few weeks and throws an absolute tantrum when it doesn't work out with her, he treats women awfully, lashes out at anyone who tries to help him, and the entire time, for some reason, the show wants us to route for him so much, it almost focuses on him as much as it does on Jack.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Torchwood should never be watched. It should only be explained to others through short synopses and event descriptions, so that it seems less 'awful' and more 'dumb and weird'.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

DoctorWhat posted:

It was a show for adults, as 12-year-olds imagine adults to be.

e. (Though yeah, Children of Earth was legitimately good.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Ok that episode wasn't too bad.

She does manage to explode a gay guy though in the scene where she ducks her way through a sperm doner bank.

• Locked thread