Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---
XCOM 2 is gradually progressing in to schlockier and more outdated aesthetics which rules because if they make another expansion I expect it to actually have a purple guy in green spandex as a new type of Muton.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Internet Kraken posted:

I don't mind the villains in Xcom spouting corny, generic dialogue because I get to follow it up with a shotgun blast to the face. If these guys were on your side it'd be irritating but they are big assholes you get to blow up. I want to hate their guts.

The Xcom games have never been about ~deep~ stories anyways and just embracing what makes fighting aliens awesome.
You can still have interesting enemy designs without deep stories though. :v: I agree with Andre that those Chosen look really boring, and really the whole trailer was just a hot mess of colourful nonsense.

It's not a super big issue though, the actual gameplay features seem cool as hell and I'm eagerly looking forward to playing it. It would be nice if the new enemies had more interesting visual design, sure, but it's far from a deal breaker.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

Moola posted:

not if I beat you to it!

I'm going to spit roast a spark with Moola

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.
I gotta add myself to the 'not feeling it' opinion on the expansion as shown but we'll see. It feels like more breadth with set piece missions, special classes and enemies - and not a whole lot of extra depth, but of course it is just a trailer so we'll see. It'll be interesting to work it in to GW, but I think it's a shame the assets have been drawing further and further away from any sort of military fighting force to super schlocky 'hero' characters for both the enemies and the friendlies.

I hope by the time they come out they don't lean too hard on the rule of cool to justify the aesthetic and lore choices. It does feel like they're drifting further and further away from the EU/EW grounded but comic book aesthetic to something that is looking more generic and interchangeable with other sci-fi properties all the time.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

As long as the new expansion doesn't constantly take camera control away from me while somebody rambles on about some stupid macguffin, I will consider it a success.

Heffer
May 1, 2003

Ugh, if there was a game mechanic to execute a talkative boss mid speech if you have all your units on overwatch I would be in love.

Andre Banzai
Jan 2, 2012

Maluco Marinero posted:

It'll be interesting to work it in to GW, but I think it's a shame the assets have been drawing further and further away from any sort of military fighting force to super schlocky 'hero' characters for both the enemies and the friendlies.

I hope by the time they come out they don't lean too hard on the rule of cool to justify the aesthetic and lore choices. It does feel like they're drifting further and further away from the EU/EW grounded but comic book aesthetic to something that is looking more generic and interchangeable with other sci-fi properties all the time.

Couldn't agree more. I really love the EU/EW atmosphere. And since the original XCOM (1994) is my favorite game of all time, I guess it feels kinda weird to me that the new aesthetic is leaning more and more towards something "Marvel superheroes". I dunno, there's something exciting for me in having a bunch of regular soldiers triumph against a mysterious and overwhelming alien enemy. But that's just me.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Andre Banzai posted:

Couldn't agree more. I really love the EU/EW atmosphere. And since the original XCOM (1994) is my favorite game of all time, I guess it feels kinda weird to me that the new aesthetic is leaning more and more towards something "Marvel superheroes". I dunno, there's something exciting for me in having a bunch of regular soldiers triumph against a mysterious and overwhelming alien enemy. But that's just me.

I too miss the meat grinder.

My Gimmick Name
Sep 11, 2004

Jake currently on https://www.twitch.tv/twitch

Codename for the expansion was project Ozzy, because he's a fan of his music

edit - new classes dont level up normally, they have to do "tactical things" to earn points to spend on traits

-grappling hook goes both ways, can be used to close the distance

-new big bads will track what youve done to them and their siblings, adapt and poo poo talk you about it before and after combat. guess its nemesis light from shadows of mordor

-big bads will focus on disabling, interrogating and capturing your dudes instead of outright murdering them

-they wont function like alien rulers, rulers are getting overhauled in regards to taking an action every time you do

-new room - training center. spend "points" to get new abilities for regular troops.

-Photo booth to pose and take pictures of your troops

-Points are earned for doing tactical things like good flanks

My Gimmick Name fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Jun 13, 2017

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Maluco Marinero posted:

I gotta add myself to the 'not feeling it' opinion on the expansion as shown but we'll see. It feels like more breadth with set piece missions, special classes and enemies - and not a whole lot of extra depth, but of course it is just a trailer so we'll see. It'll be interesting to work it in to GW, but I think it's a shame the assets have been drawing further and further away from any sort of military fighting force to super schlocky 'hero' characters for both the enemies and the friendlies.

Agreed on all points.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Internet Kraken posted:

:siren: ALIEN DEFECTOR RECRUITS :siren:
This is truly a monkey's paw wish fulfilled. At least all the new poo poo looks cool.
I gotta say though, it kind of looks like the new "classes" are actually individual unique units and not entire classes, from the way they're talking about it. I already have enough unique units to throw out into combat (SPARKs, Psis, etc). At this rate I'm going to be fielding missions with zero regular soldiers. Here's hoping the balance doesn't fall that way, because what I really want is more variety for my troops, not special movie star folks who waltz in from time to time to show off how badass and cool they are VS my regular guys.

Psycho Landlord posted:

The only way to kill the Uber-Ethereal was with a punch while shouting WELCOME TO EARF, you loving heathens :colbert:
He very clearly says "Earth" you drat racist.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OfPWpEKhgfk

Vib Rib fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Jun 13, 2017

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Vib Rib posted:

This is truly a monkey's paw wish fulfilled. At least all the new poo poo looks cool.
I gotta say though, it kind of looks like the new "classes" are actually individual unique units and not entire classes, from the way they're talking about it. I already have enough unique units to throw out into combat (SPARKs, Psis, etc). At this rate I'm going to be fielding missions with zero regular soldiers. Here's hoping the balance doesn't fall that way, because what I really want is more variety for my troops, not special movie star folks who waltz in from time to time to show off how badass and cool they are VS my regular guys.

He very clearly says "Earth" you drat racist.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OfPWpEKhgfk

It sounds like you'll only be able to recruit one of the new units, not all three. Befriending one of the factions will piss off the other two.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Cythereal posted:

It sounds like you'll only be able to recruit one of the new units, not all three. Befriending one of the factions will piss off the other two.

One of the new achievements is for befriending all three factions at once.

You will almost definitely be able to. The big question will probably be tradeoff (focus on one early to get the benefits/new unit etc)

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
Honestly I didn't mind the trailer. Every XCOM trailer has been nothing but cinematic/cutscene bits, and the game has always held up just fine. New dudes look like stupid aliens that'll be fun to shoot, and won't matter because 99.9% of the time I'll see them it'll be on the strategy layer anyways.

Everything on the store page sounds loving kickass.

e: I mean the very first thing they said is you can turn off parts of the expansion you don't like. Presumably you can still get the factions to join you without getting the hero units. Presumably you can turn off the Chosen. Meanwhile it still adds 3 new enemy units, the new training system, talent points, dozens of new mission types to gain these new factions, etc etc.

Rookersh fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Jun 13, 2017

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I wouldn't be surprised if Templars completely replace psionic troops anyways.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Rookersh posted:

New dudes look like stupid aliens that'll be fun to shoot
There's definitely precedent. Don't forget that people collectively lost their poo poo over Vipers when the first XCOM2 trailer hit.

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006

My Gimmick Name posted:

-they wont function like alien rulers, rulers are getting overhauled in regards to taking an action every time you do

Thank loving christ. Might actually be possible to play with them without resorting to cheesing the game.

Joust
Dec 7, 2007

No Ledges.

My Gimmick Name posted:

-Photo booth to pose and take pictures of your troops

This is the real tactical layer.

Andre Banzai
Jan 2, 2012

Vib Rib posted:

I already have enough unique units to throw out into combat (SPARKs, Psis, etc). At this rate I'm going to be fielding missions with zero regular soldiers. Here's hoping the balance doesn't fall that way, because what I really want is more variety for my troops, not special movie star folks who waltz in from time to time to show off how badass and cool they are VS my regular guys.

Hahahaha I agree! I didn't wanna touch on that topic as well since I've been so negative about the Neo Naavis already... But I wholeheartedly agree. I don't care about lame supersoldiers, gently caress movie star supersoldiers, I care about DISGRACER, regular black dude with his face full of scars who has survived terrible odds 3 times and has become a chainsmoker now. That is the guy that I want to bring to the final mission of the game. Screw "special soldiers". Always hated Zhang's guts. *spits*

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
There's no indication that the resistance members you recruit are all predefined characters. Ya'll are freaking out about nothing.

It'll probably just take someone from the character pool to make that class for the campaign.

This isn't going to stick no matter how much you try to make it.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Jun 13, 2017

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
The posting cycle begins anew

Neon Knight
Jan 14, 2009
Silly looking blue skinned aliens is in keeping with XCOM 2s They Live influences. Looks like Keith David and Roddy Piper are going to be putting on the glasses yet again as part of my squads.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Even if the new class stuff is locked down in some dumb way, mods will open that poo poo up :pcgaming:

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Internet Kraken posted:

There's no indication that the resistance members you recruit are all predefined characters. Ya'll are freaking out about nothing.

It'll probably just take someone from the character pool to make that class for the campaign.

I still remember how we all freaked out over the Exalt!

It'll be fine.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Rookersh posted:

I still remember how we all freaked out over the Exalt!

It'll be fine.

lol I don't think I was reading the thread when that expansion was revealed. What did people say?

My Gimmick Name
Sep 11, 2004

If the point stuff is done correctly I could see how it encourages breaking up the "super optimal" play like Meld did in EW. Giving a bonus to playing more recklessly instead of setting up the perfect concealment alpha strike

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

dyzzy posted:

The posting cycle begins anew
I'm actually super fuckin excited and I'm sure I'll play the poo poo out of the classes, I just hope they don't feel too "cordoned off". I have concerns but it's not like I'm gonna be anywhere but glued to the geoscape on day one.

Light Gun Man posted:

Even if the new class stuff is locked down in some dumb way, mods will open that poo poo up :pcgaming:
Yeah ain't that for true. Stuff like factions is going to massively open up the game for modders, too. Think of all they could do.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
I get kind of confused when people rag on additions to XCOM/X-COM, of all games and all series, for being generic and derivative and campy in its aesthetic choices, as if it hasn't been that way for most of the past twenty years.

If anything, XCOM EU being relatively more grounded in its depictions was the departure in my book, but they executed it well then and we'll see if they can execute this well now. And even aside from the aesthetics I like the sound of what they're doing to gameplay (it helps that, like Exposure said, a lot of this is stuff that's already being done by mods I can't live without anymore so hopefully the devs can do it in an even cooler way) so frankly I'm looking forward to August.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
To act like every design in Xcom EU was super inspired is misleading anyways. Yeah, most of them are good, but do any of you fondly remember muton elites? Those guys look like they stumbled out of Halo. And if you try to say old berserkers looked cooler than the new ones I'm gonna call you a liar.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
Oh, zombies and more unkillable boss type dudes. Exactly what I wanted.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

I think I'm done with Long War 2, I appreciate what they tried to do with the infiltration mechanic, but I've grown to hate it because of how long it makes my soldiers unavailable, I had like 5 active teams in my game and it still wasn't enough when the important missions started popping up. It's problems are only compounded further with the new timer countdown being more obnoxious because all the extra enemies I'd have to deal with most of the time on top of the changes they made to the reinforcement mechanics to act as a second, even more obnoxious, countdown time that would constantly punish players, even when you play the game to way the LW team want you to play.

I'm down for longer campaigns, but not when it actively punishing me.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Heffer posted:

Ugh, if there was a game mechanic to execute a talkative boss mid speech if you have all your units on overwatch I would be in love.

I did this once in Deus Ex with a bunch of laser trip mines on Gunther in Paris. He ran into the room, got about 3 words into his speech, and exploded.

It is probably my most favorite gaming experience.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Beagle claiming Jake fixed his game on Twitter, so there is that.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Gyshall posted:

So overwatch camping is back in I guess.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh

Darkrenown posted:

Same but with zero sarcasm

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Meh. This stuff could be fun, but it's not as creative looking as I'd hoped for an expansion and it's definitely not a direction I'm interested in. If the improvements to the game are good, though, I may pick this up where I passed on the other two.

SickZip
Jul 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Gyshall posted:

That Beagle is saying that is the best news I've heard about this expansion

It's boggles my mind how much Jake's seems dedicated to ruining a good framework with the dumbest possible decisions on certain mechanics.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
I wonder if they'll add any more cheat heroes? I don't use them myself, but it's always neat to see who they add.

My Gimmick Name
Sep 11, 2004

edit wrong thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Darkrenown posted:

Just equip your gunslinger with flame rounds. :getin: