Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Mueller is an ex FBI director. If he gets fired so soon after the defamation of Comey the FBI might literally go openly rogue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Mueller is an ex FBI director. If he gets fired so soon after the defamation of Comey the FBI might literally go openly rogue.

Oh well that's fine then, I feel very reassured

Here's to hoping that the military junta isn't too repressive

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I, for one, look forward to the HUMAGAC and its investigation of the FBI

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Zophar posted:

This Mueller firing talk has me spooked. Their whole narrative since Comey's hearing has been some real doublethink poo poo, spinning it like it actually *cleared* Trump of suspicion. Makes me worry all this plus Sessions going in to testify has been to build this narrative that the matter is sealed and there doesn't need to be a special counsel.

If he fires Mueller, he may as well tattoo "IM GUILTY" across his forehead, and I think some of the reps from Trump+5 and less districts, if they haven't already, will really start to feel the heat and the pressure will turn up from Congress. All but his most frothing rabid supporters will be convinced something is rotten.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Also, this is Donald Trump we're talking about. If he fires Mueller, it won't be done in a calculated, careful way. It will be done openly, brazenly, and without tact. There is a 50% chance that he will trip on a rug, tear open the countess' blouse, and fall over a stair railing after doing it.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Fart City posted:

Also, this is Donald Trump we're talking about. If he fires Mueller, it won't be done in a calculated, careful way. It will be done openly, brazenly, and without tact. There is a 50% chance that he will trip on a rug, tear open the countess' blouse, and fall over a stair railing after doing it.

So basically it will be done in precisely the same manner as the campaign that got him and a bunch of sycophants into all institutions of American power

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Fart City posted:

He'll literally brag to some foreign press that he fired Mueller specifically because he hopes it'll relieve the pressure of a Russian investigation. Just like he did with Comey.

The man is literally retarded.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

NoDamage posted:

How much damage did firing Comey actually do? It sounds like Republicans are still entirely on board with Trump, McConnell and Ryan are still defending his every action.

Republicans in Congress are (almost) entirely on board in public. In private a lot of them, at least the ones who aren't in R+10 districts, are panicking.

Stuff like this is the tip of that iceberg: http://www.rawstory.com/2017/06/secret-recording-reveals-gop-lawmaker-freaking-out-about-going-down-with-the-ship-for-trump/

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

NoDamage posted:

How much damage did firing Comey actually do? It sounds like Republicans are still entirely on board with Trump, McConnell and Ryan are still defending his every action. Remember a few weeks ago when everyone said firing Comey would be so obviously corrupt that Trump would never do it because the Republicans would turn on him? Well, he did, and they haven't. Why would firing Mueller be any different?

It caused a spate of damaging leaks, lead directly to the appointment of a special prosecutor, and led to Comey testifying publicly and numerous Republicans saying they believed him. It was definitely not a good move and made everything worse for Trump.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

He'll literally brag to some foreign press that he fired Mueller specifically because he hopes it'll relieve the pressure of a Russian investigation. Just like he did with Comey.

The man is literally retarded.

https://twitter.com/mattyglesias/status/874426768261877761

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Your Taint posted:

All but his most frothing rabid supporters will be convinced something is rotten.
Would Fox News be amongst the frothing rabid? If they haven't dropped him now, I don't see them doing so anytime soon.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

buglord posted:

Would Fox News be amongst the frothing rabid? If they haven't dropped him now, I don't see them doing so anytime soon.

Given how their ratings are dropping it hardly matters.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Can't he be both?

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://mobile.twitter.com/Acosta/status/874415483885428736

Reminder that Trump often does the opposite of what people around him tell him to do.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
So June 20 is the GA-06 election but the SC election for Mulvaney's old seat is happening the same day. I haven't heard poo poo about this race or seen any polls so I'm guessing it's a lost cause?

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

DaveWoo posted:

Reminder that Trump often does the opposite of what people around him tell him to do.

I did my part:

https://twitter.com/0Phorrum/status/874428515189489664

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money

DaveWoo posted:

God, what I would give to be a fly on the wall when people are trying to talk sense into Trump.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
I'm going to go a step further and say even suggesting Mueller's firing can backfire on Trump. Just like only a guilty person fires the head of an investigation that may implicate him, suggesting that firing isn't something innocent people do.

Fortunately for Trump his administration is one huge flak screen of distractions so it's unlikely any one thing will catch people's attention.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Low Desert Punk posted:

God, what I would give to be a fly on the wall when people are trying to talk sense into Trump.
i'm not sure you would want to work for russian intelligence agencies

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

Paradoxish posted:

Even if this is true, I don't think you can blame people for being uncomfortable with the state intelligence apparatus having this much control or influence. If we ever actually reach that point then the federal government is legitimately broken.

What you are actually seeing with the so called "Deep State" are career professionals who are taking their oath of service seriously.

Because Trump is an existential threat to the Republic. The first and most important part of the oath of service is to defend the nation and the Constitution against all enemies foreign and domestic.

Note that these people are trying to do this with a light touch. Because these people are patriots in the best sense. Also it's not like they're manufacturing evidence, they're just providing the evidence to the people who need to know. Which is everyone.

So I don't see any evidence of anything that the citizens of nation should be worried about. This is just the civil institutions of the nation and those people in those positions doing their job to make the system work.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

They can't turn on Trump too early lest they torpedo their window to ram through horrific legislation and risk a primary by some crazed Trumpstaffel.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Skex posted:

What you are actually seeing with the so called "Deep State" are career professionals who are taking their oath of service seriously.

Because Trump is an existential threat to the Republic. The first and most important part of the oath of service is to defend the nation and the Constitution against all enemies foreign and domestic.

Note that these people are trying to do this with a light touch. Because these people are patriots in the best sense. Also it's not like they're manufacturing evidence, they're just providing the evidence to the people who need to know. Which is everyone.

So I don't see any evidence of anything that the citizens of nation should be worried about. This is just the civil institutions of the nation and those people in those positions doing their job to make the system work.

A bunch of unelected spooks entering into something resembling open revolt against a democratically elected leader is, while preferable to Donald loving Trump, is still profoundly disturbing

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Hollismason posted:

Yeah, I am honestly not sure what would happen if Mueller was fired.

Trump drops a Mueller fire during the Tuesday testimony of keebler Elf, blaming him for the act and firing him for it. Sessions learns this and his release from AG just happened during a rando question five minutes after going under oath.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer

Low Desert Punk posted:

The tell all books will be amazing, especially if Trump leaves office super unpopular (which is likely) and everyone is racing to distance themselves as much as possible. They'll show all these conversations in full, unflattering light.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

JosefStalinator posted:

They'll show all these conversations in full, unflattering light.

Ugh. He does seem like the kind of guy who would hold a meeting while sitting in a hot tub.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Spiritus Nox posted:

A bunch of unelected spooks entering into something resembling open revolt against a democratically elected leader is, while preferable to Donald loving Trump, is still profoundly disturbing

So open revolt is doing their jobs to investigate possible treason by the president, I mean if they won't do it who will.

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

Spiritus Nox posted:

Not if they have evidence that said democratically elected leader is a sock puppet for the Russians.

Because there is a loving there there. This is whistle blowing.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

JosefStalinator posted:

The tell all books will be amazing, especially if Trump leaves office super unpopular (which is likely) and everyone is racing to distance themselves as much as possible. They'll show all these conversations in full, unflattering light.

I feel like we'll never know the full story because his aides hate each other so much they'll all have wildly conflicting stories.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

nachos posted:

So June 20 is the GA-06 election but the SC election for Mulvaney's old seat is happening the same day. I haven't heard poo poo about this race or seen any polls so I'm guessing it's a lost cause?

not necessarily. i was looking it up and mulvaney was the only republican to win that district in a hundred years. the previous republican was robert smalls, who looked familiar:

and when i checked his wiki page i remembered that this guy escaped slavery along with his entire family by commandeering a confederate ship and sailing it out of charleston harbor and became the first black navy captain according to the "finders keepers" principle

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Imagine how many unbelievable things we know about Nixon because he was crazy enough to tape himself saying everything, and how long it took for many of those tapes to come out. Assuming Trump's lying about taping Comey, there's going to be crazy poo poo we'll never know about even if he does go down in flames.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Spiritus Nox posted:

Considering that Trump is trying to make himself the last democratically elected leader, or at least the most openly corrupt in history, I think these actions are granted.

Also probably wouldn't be using "spook" often if it were me. Too adjacent to something awful.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Ularg posted:

Considering that Trump is trying to make himself the last democratically elected leader, or at least the most openly corrupt in history, I think these actions are granted.

Also probably wouldn't be using "spook" often if it were me. Too adjacent to something awful.

"preferable to Donald loving Trump" was a key part of my last post.

Doesn't make me comfortable with it.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Spiritus Nox posted:

"preferable to Donald loving Trump" was a key part of my last post.

Doesn't make me comfortable with it.

Well we wouldn't even be here if the first ten "Checks and Balances" actually did their job.

Yea I get the idea being a bit frightened by a group beholden to no one but themselves, but they aren't some invincible thing that can't be dismantled if they ever threatened the country, at least I would hope.

Edit: I rather it being intelligence agencies doing it. Because it's more of a sign of "Listen, we gave you fuckers all the information you need to know this guy was bad news and you ain't doing poo poo" than an open civil war or a military coup.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Ularg posted:

It's a totally normal way to talk about spies, and I don't see what it has to do with Lowtax.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Sinteres posted:

It's a totally normal way to talk about spies, and I don't see what it has to do with Lowtax.

Fair enough, that's why I'm not going all frothy pointing fingers. Just seemed like a really old way to refer to spies when it has that double racist meaning.

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!

boner confessor posted:

not necessarily. i was looking it up and mulvaney was the only republican to win that district in a hundred years. the previous republican was robert smalls, who looked familiar:

and when i checked his wiki page i remembered that this guy escaped slavery along with his entire family by commandeering a confederate ship and sailing it out of charleston harbor and became the first black navy captain according to the "finders keepers" principle

What a badass.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer

Sinteres posted:

I feel like we'll never know the full story because his aides hate each other so much they'll all have wildly conflicting stories.

The Trump tell-all books will be like Rashomon, and it'll be up to us to determine the truth.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

boner confessor posted:

This is basically a premodern actual naval law thing, incidentally. :v: At least if you're dealing with unrecognized or hostile powers.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

boner confessor posted:

That's goddamn awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Ularg posted:

Fair enough, that's why I'm not going all frothy pointing fingers. Just seemed like a really old way to refer to spies when it has that double racist meaning.

Wait it does?

• Locked thread