Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Bi-Han now we've got Bad Blood

TF2 HAT MINING RIG posted:

The vr segment this year wasn't so hot.

I totally agree issue is the industry was loving going crazy over it the last 3-4 years straight.

The investments finally came to fruition, and there's a lot riding on these investments, from gaming to advertising.

It's still the early adoption period, they are just trying to give reasons to adopt, even if it's just "EXPERIENCE YOU ALREADY KNEW IN FIRST PERSON, NOW WITH FLOATING ARMS AND A WIDER VIEW" along with some titles that actually use VR from the ground up.

Issue is, I personally think they jumped the gun and should have mastered AR.

We still have to see if the early adopters accept and adopt to VR, so we should expect this for a bit. Unlike 3d tv, it won't necessarily just die, likely just remain niche.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

at least they made games for vr. this is a new post vita sony

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I hope they put some new content in shadow of the colossus, on top of the content we all know and love :)

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

VR is dead if this is what we are getting a year later.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

VR is just a really hard sell for most people, most promos just show games that look a generation behind and really getting a sense of it requires hands-on at stores or something, which in 2017 is, uh, problematic

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
vr also expensive

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

AR is a scam as far as gaming is concerned

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

What happened to Shenmue 3 development?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I said come in! posted:

it got delayed

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

I said come in! posted:

Delayed a year

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Shenmue 3 is being made by like a team of 20 people and Yu Suzuki's like nah we're not going to E3 see ya.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
They shoulda' closed out the Sony conference with Undertale instead of Arkham Spider

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
I met a guy who works at Epic a while back, and his take on VR was "It is insanely great, it really is going to be the future; don't bother investing in it for at least a couple of years." I think it's pretty telling that this time last year MS was touting the Scorpio as being a system designed for and ready for VR, only for them to say post reveal "Actually VR is not a priority for us at this time and don't expect to see it on the Xbox anytime soon." So-so tech has been pushed to market as proof of concept, and nobody's quite sure how to best utilize it yet.

The VR segment of Sony's presentation reeked of "Hey, 1 million people who dropped hundreds of dollars on this niche peripheral! There are still new experiences (and opportunities to give us more money) coming soon! We definitely have not forgotten you, nor will we quietly abandon you in the near future!"

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Bi-Han now we've got Bad Blood

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

VR is just a really hard sell for most people, most promos just show games that look a generation behind and really getting a sense of it requires hands-on at stores or something, which in 2017 is, uh, problematic

VR takes more power and is a different resolution so getting the same visuals requires power we don't have yet, especially on consoles.

Even MS doesn't want to go there, and didn't even bother with the other XBOX and VR and left it to PC.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
The games I was most excited about were the games they teased last year.

Maybe they will come out within the next year?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

SectumSempra posted:

VR takes more power and is a different resolution so getting the same visuals requires power we don't have yet, especially on consoles.

I know that, and I'm saying that makes it harder to sell to people who aren't early adopters willing to shell out a ton of money for novelty

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

I was honestly surprised nobody dropped their prices to 199. I guess xmas this year?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Of the conferences I had to attend:

EA: loooool
Bethesda: I hate everyone involved with this.
Microsoft: Mostly competent I gue$499USDOLLARS
Sony: I'm sorry, I can't hear you as for some reason they decided that setting off flashbombs every time something exploded onscreen in a video game is a good idea.

Was Ubisoft hilarious?

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

Sony: I'm sorry, I can't hear you as for some reason they decided that setting off flashbombs every time something exploded onscreen in a video game is a good idea.

Was Ubisoft hilarious?

Ubisoft was pretty on the level. No Aisha meant no memes or real fun energy going on, but we did get Michael Ancel crying.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Ubi was he best conference so far, believe it or not.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

I think it was an alright E3, all things considered. Everyone had at least one-two games I wanted to play.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

ImpAtom posted:

Was Ubisoft hilarious?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

Was Ubisoft hilarious?

Ubisoft was actually.... good???

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I want to play the cute mouse game but not for $400

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Ometeotl posted:

Ubi was he best conference so far, believe it or not.

weird so say when the sony one pwned...

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

No Mods No Masters posted:

I hope they put some new content in shadow of the colossus, on top of the content we all know and love :)

what if they do the cut content? there were a lot of colossi cut from the final game right?

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

JethroMcB posted:

I met a guy who works at Epic a while back, and his take on VR was "It is insanely great, it really is going to be the future; don't bother investing in it for at least a couple of years." I think it's pretty telling that this time last year MS was touting the Scorpio as being a system designed for and ready for VR, only for them to say post reveal "Actually VR is not a priority for us at this time and don't expect to see it on the Xbox anytime soon." So-so tech has been pushed to market as proof of concept, and nobody's quite sure how to best utilize it yet.

The VR segment of Sony's presentation reeked of "Hey, 1 million people who dropped hundreds of dollars on this niche peripheral! There are still new experiences (and opportunities to give us more money) coming soon! We definitely have not forgotten you, nor will we quietly abandon you in the near future!"

Yep, it's too expensive, too bulky, too hard to set up, and there isn't enough to do yet.

Give it a few years for the tech to catch up. Right now you can see the potential, but it's not worth it for most people. Once it takes off though, hoo boy that's gonna be neat

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

incoherent posted:

I was honestly surprised nobody dropped their prices to 199. I guess xmas this year?

the ps3 was selling new for like 199 recently as a year or two ago its gonna be a while

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

ImpAtom posted:

Was Ubisoft hilarious?

They brought Shigeru in right off the top, sporting a Bullet Bill-styled arm canon, to pimp the Mario x Rabbids game. Which was hilarious, but not in the Ubisoft way we've become accustomed to.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Real hurthling! posted:

what if they do the cut content? there were a lot of colossi cut from the final game right?

Yeah

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Sony could have at least announced a price drop to turn the screws on Microsoft.

Or end their conference with a surprise like the good old days of E3.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

drat it Ubisoft, you disappoint in your competence.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Sony could have at least announced a price drop to turn the screws on Microsoft.

After like 3 solid years of surprise announcements from Sony, this year felt staid. If they had just pushed the SotC teaser to the very end, after the Spider-Man demo, it would have solved the problem.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Anyone catch this announcement?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J9QkJ_mSlSw

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

someone save capcom from itself

https://twitter.com/trilllizard420/status/874448489547051010

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

what's wrong at capcom

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

I don't get how a fighting game, with how little it has to render on screen, can look so bad.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

hey everyone. pretty much every year i post these threads and don't get to participate in them because i spend the days of e3 animating little recaps of each day (i wont embed it, watch only if you give a gently caress). but i managed to get a little ahead so i can actually make a post DURING E3 WOW!!!!! wow (wow)

so right now I think Ubisoft had the best conference unironically. I mean l loving loved the lucid dream that was Twitch's Pre-Pre Show, but in terms of an actual thing, Ubisoft had the games and were prepared and even had a little bit of stupidity for old times sake (loving love them being ages late to the toys-to-life genre). it was maybe the most balanced conference there.

i expect disappointment but I was surprised at how disappointing Sony was, mostly in that past years were about "here's the future of our library" but this year they went for more of a Nintendo-style "here's what's coming very soon" which left only the MonHun announcement which is multiplatform. they had no real indies on stage (leaving them in pre-show), and there were games like TLOU 2 that were just bizarrely not there. it doesn't help that I don't really care about VR or about Days Gone or Detroit and those made up half of the dang event

the worst conference by far was easily Bethesda's. you could make a case for EA's being very boring and not having much (if anything) in the way of reveals. but bethesda was the worst of both worlds: a Nintendo Direct-style event with not only next to nothing new to show but a bunch of stuff that was already out or about to be out. stop it with the Youtubers screaming in your videos everyone STOP. IT. stop it. also it was so short what the heck, imagine flying out to LA and getting a ticket for that event only to be sitting there watching the same video as everyone else. i will say WOLF 2 LOOKS COOL, Dishonored Daud DLC LOOKS COOL, but that's not enough

the theme of this year in general is Not Enough, there's just not enough in any conference to get me hyphy (or make me laugh). not enough trainwreck not enough chaos dunks. if you were to just rate it based on games and volume i guess maybe Microsoft? But none of that was exclusive so who cares. not that igaf about console warring but that was pathetic

Hero of E3 is probably Jon Carnage or Zeke, they were up for over 24 hours on Twitch and still had energy and their voices (i don't understand how). best moment was burgerbear

thanks everyone for enjoying these threads and posting and having fun goof-em-ups about these bad video game boys and their stage shows. there's gonna be another thread tomorrow and it's for the rest of the show. i'm gonna try and scrounge up Steam page links to the interesting games shown at E3 so far (to me anyway). have a good rest of the show

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

I don't get how a fighting game, with how little it has to render on screen, can look so bad.

sfv and mvci were both pretty clearly rushed and not given the time to make enough content or polish up the content they do have

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

they're probably priced correctly already and black friday sales will have the same effect for most people. ms did all the work for them coming in so high

• Locked thread