Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Bear in mind that this is was all under the watchful eye of Chris "The Next Doctor Who Showrunner" Chibnall.

(He's gotten better since.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Isn't the sex alien released by a gas cloud because Gwen touched an alien rock when Jack said no in like the second episode, or was that a different malevolent alien sex thing?

CityMidnightJunky
May 11, 2013

by Smythe

Jerusalem posted:

Rapist. He wasn't even on a date with the lady (not that that makes it any less of a crime in the first place), he just walks up and tries to pick up a clearly uninterested woman who was there with her boyfriend, and when he's plainly rejected just rolls his eyes, grunts he doesn't have time to waste on anything unimportant like her rejection, disinterest and status as a human being and turns her into a piece of meat to gently caress.

It remains perhaps the worst character misstep I can ever recall in any television show, especially since once he's exposed they end the episode treating it like he was just being a naughty boy as opposed to a monstrous predator. They didn't even attempt to do something interesting with trying to slowly rehabilitate a monstrous character, you're supposed to basically be rooting for the guy/think he's cool from the start.

Astonishingly, it's even worse than that. When the boyfriend, presumably a straight man, intervenes, Owen gives him the alien roofie as well and the three of them go off in a taxi. AND THIS PART IS PLAYED FOR LAUGHS!

The morality in that show was loving horrific.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

docbeard posted:

Bear in mind that this is was all under the watchful eye of Chris "The Next Doctor Who Showrunner" Chibnall.

(He's gotten better since.)

He's also written some pretty terrible Doctor Who episodes, but also all of Broadchurch, which was pretty good. If he tries a writers' room approach, if nothing else, it will be different, and much though I love this season, the show needs a big shake up once in awhile.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Bicyclops posted:

Isn't the sex alien released by a gas cloud because Gwen touched an alien rock when Jack said no in like the second episode, or was that a different malevolent alien sex thing?

All I remember about the episode is the sex alien fuckmurdering her way through the sperm donation clinic but probably.

E:"Originally entitled "New Girl", the episode was written to interpret Gwen's "first day in hell". On the sex gas, series creator Russell T Davies stated "when we're launching a new adult science fiction drama, it's kind of inevitable you're going to do the sex monster". "

Namtab fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Jun 13, 2017

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Namtab posted:

the sex alien fuckmurdering her way through the sperm donation clinic

Torchwood: it's Doctor Who, for grownups!!

Murderion
Oct 4, 2009

2019. New York is in ruins. The global economy is spiralling. Cyborgs rule over poisoned wastes.

The only time that's left is
FUN TIME
I remember Countrycide as being a decent horror episode completely at odds with the rest of the season, but then again I watched like 10 years ago and lol if you think I'll go out of my way to look up S1 Torchwood.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Bicyclops posted:

He's also written some pretty terrible Doctor Who episodes, but also all of Broadchurch, which was pretty good. If he tries a writers' room approach, if nothing else, it will be different, and much though I love this season, the show needs a big shake up once in awhile.

I didn't hate most of his Doctor Who episodes, in retrospect (well, the Silurian two-parter he did was pretty awful). 42 had a really dumb premise but it kind of worked, I legit liked Dinosaurs On A Spaceship, and The Power Of Three was almost, y'know, good. Y'know, almost.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Something about the way they make the modern show seems to lead to all multi part episodes being kinda bad. I mean, part what I liked about the old show was that each story had time to breath due to the extra run-time serials provided, but in the new show multi part episodes seem to always be big event stories and those always seem to go badly in the new show.

Murderion
Oct 4, 2009

2019. New York is in ruins. The global economy is spiralling. Cyborgs rule over poisoned wastes.

The only time that's left is
FUN TIME

remusclaw posted:

Something about the way they make the modern show seems to lead to all multi part episodes being kinda bad. I mean, part what I liked about the old show was that each story had time to breath due to the extra run-time serials provided, but in the new show multi part episodes seem to always be big event stories and those always seem to go badly in the new show.

It was about 50-50 during the RTD era, with the ones with entirely new villains (barring the fart monsters) tending towards better. Moffat's been a bit all over the place, though.

CityMidnightJunky
May 11, 2013

by Smythe

docbeard posted:

I didn't hate most of his Doctor Who episodes, in retrospect (well, the Silurian two-parter he did was pretty awful). 42 had a really dumb premise but it kind of worked, I legit liked Dinosaurs On A Spaceship, and The Power Of Three was almost, y'know, good. Y'know, almost.

42 is astonishing in that I have definitely watched it, possibly more than once, but it is so aggressively unmemorable that it has completely dropped out of my head, to the point where if I do a series watch through, I'll constantly be surprised it exists and then forget it again immediately afterwards. The whole episode has a perception filter on it.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

CityMidnightJunky posted:

42 is astonishing in that I have definitely watched it, possibly more than once, but it is so aggressively unmemorable that it has completely dropped out of my head, to the point where if I do a series watch through, I'll constantly be surprised it exists and then forget it again immediately afterwards. The whole episode has a perception filter on it.

This post reminded me of The Idiot's Lantern, which is an episode I will have forgotten again by the time I hit the Submit Reply button.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Night Terrors is an episode that apparently exists too?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Prove it.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Alas, I am undone.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I was surprised when I looked at wikipedia and found out Night Terrors was written by Mark Gatiss, and also that he didn't write the series 3 episode he was in

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
I always mix 42 up with the Ten/Rose two parter with the big Satan monster.

Jerusalem posted:

This post reminded me of The Idiot's Lantern, which is an episode I will have forgotten again by the time I hit the Submit Reply button.

This one is good to tie into the previous discussion given it didn't really ease off on the historical sexism from the patriarchal father.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I actually enjoyed Night Terrors! The creepy old apartment building and the dollshouse were nicely atmospheric.

pgroce
Oct 24, 2002
Fairly surprised we've gotten this far and no one's noted the similarities between this episode and Tomb of the Cybermen. It's not a complete ripoff (and some of the more interesting parts of the episode involve places where it diverges) but it seems to me like a strong influence.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

One thing for certain is that in Doctor Who, a tomb is never actually a tomb.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

I actually enjoyed Night Terrors! The creepy old apartment building and the dollshouse were nicely atmospheric.

Also the Doctor comes by because a kid is scared of his closet!

The Idiot's Lantern I have never paid attention for the whole thing, somehow. I have seen it three times and I have never learned the TV lady's motivations because sometime between her taking over grandma and the lightning tower sequence, I get distracted by whatever I'm doing. I can't remember if the family stays with the abusive dad or if he gets fed to the proverbial wolves for his abusiveness.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

They stay! The episode ends abominably!

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

DoctorWhat posted:

Please listen to my first Big Finish script, in which Capaldi during his "Am I a good man?" phase asks that question repeatedly to that guy, while putting him through a cartoonish obstacle course of pain.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Finally, some interesting stuff from latter-day Big Finish!

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Bicyclops posted:

Also the Doctor comes by because a kid is scared of his closet!

The Idiot's Lantern I have never paid attention for the whole thing, somehow. I have seen it three times and I have never learned the TV lady's motivations because sometime between her taking over grandma and the lightning tower sequence, I get distracted by whatever I'm doing. I can't remember if the family stays with the abusive dad or if he gets fed to the proverbial wolves for his abusiveness.

I think she had crashed and wanted to return to her home planet? She needed to hijack a million TVs all at once or something?

E: oh I found a transcript, she was an executed prisoner and she was feeding on people's electrical energy to regain her body. So there you go.

2house2fly fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Jun 13, 2017

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)

CityMidnightJunky posted:

42 is interesting because it is done in "real time", that is what I remember about it, also Martha texts her mother to ask about The Beatles versus Elvis. And the Doctor is mad that people don't do recreational math anymore.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

Astroman posted:

Hey now, we're only a few weeks away from the finale. Have some faith!

Yeah, I'd be the first to gladly say "I stand corrected!" but there were always West Indian/Indian regiments. Did they serve with the YT's, that's the still unanswered question.

Honestly, I'd be fine with this for a regeneration or two, because what Moffat did with Capaldi was show us the Doctor still can be old and gruff after 2 young quirky Doctors. Because he can, he now doesn't have to be.

I will go on the record and say that I still am overall happy with The Moffat Era. It had some missteps, and I think the guy is a bit of an egomaniac, but there were a lot of pluses: he's a fan, but also a talented producer and showrunner so he could do perfect continuity and fanservice while appealing to a mass international audience which keeps the show on the air. He "gets" Doctor Who and what it's supposed to say. His run for the 50th was great and pretty much exactly what I wanted to see. He's been hugely supportive of Big Finish and keeping them in canon. Basically he built on all the great stuff RTD did.

While Chibnall is a bit of an unknown quantity he's still "family"--a long term Doctor Who nerd who is now a teevee professional in line with RTD, Moffat, Tennant, Capaldi, and Gatiss. So unless he has some radical crazy ideas for changing the show, he'll probably do a lot of what Moffat did, which is check off the list of the stuff he always wanted to do on Doctor Who since age 10.

This is from a while back, and while I mostly agree, there is one area I have to disagree: while Moff is obviously an extremely talented writer, and I have no doubt he absolutely loves Doctor Who, he is a TERRIBLE producer/showrunner. You can quibble with the direction he's taken the show, though overall I've enjoyed the hell out of it. But we've also essentially lost two entire seasons under his watch, and his running of the show seems to be resulting in us losing two amazing actors playing the Doctor prematurely. From that perspective, he's done a terrible job.

But on the other hand: he give the world The Day of the Doctor, which may be my favorite episode of television ever. I've probably watched it more than any other episode and I love it just as much every time.

Brb, gonna go watch Day of the Doctor again.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

DoctorWhat posted:

Huh? No they stay in the house, but they make the abusive dad leave.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

DoctorWhat posted:

It's sort of ambiguous. The mum kicks him out but the son goes and helps him with his suitcase, so who knows.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"Negotiations were going well. They were very impressed by my hat." -Issaries the Concilliator"

TL posted:

This is from a while back, and while I mostly agree, there is one area I have to disagree: while Moff is obviously an extremely talented writer, and I have no doubt he absolutely loves Doctor Who, he is a TERRIBLE producer/showrunner. You can quibble with the direction he's taken the show, though overall I've enjoyed the hell out of it. But we've also essentially lost two entire seasons under his watch, and his running of the show seems to be resulting in us losing two amazing actors playing the Doctor prematurely. From that perspective, he's done a terrible job.

Eh. I'd give 50% of the blame to the BBC. Any other company would have either changed the showrunner or thrown money at him to keep highly profitable show on the air.
BBC just shrugs and does nothing about it.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

The_Doctor posted:

Huh? No they stay in the house, but they make the abusive dad leave.

Yeah, the whole thing is that the Doctors turns up and completely shames the dad ("cucks", I think, in the modern parlance?), running him out of the house and leaving the mother in charge. Whether she invites him back or not, the power structure from the start of the episode has obviously been upended.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?

Bicyclops posted:

Torchwood: it's Doctor Who, for grownups!!
The only good adult-oriented part of Torchwood was Captain John Hart.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

The Sarah Jane Adventures had more respect for the audience's intelligence and maturity than Torchwood did.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
You guys are being unfair on Owen. Remember that time he solved a rape? From the past?

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
The good thing about Torchwood existing is that now Big Finish can actually tell good stories with it. Though I'm still going to avoid any that involve Owen. There are some things even they can't rehabilitate.

Fil5000 posted:

You guys are being unfair on Owen. Remember that time he solved a rape? From the past?

Was it a tricky time travel tale where he was also the rapist?

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Box of Bunnies posted:

The good thing about Torchwood existing is that now Big Finish can actually tell good stories with it. Though I'm still going to avoid any that involve Owen. There are some things even they can't rehabilitate.

Was it a tricky time travel tale where he was also the rapist?

No, it was some device that let him see the past and he used it to solve a rape/murder.

Sad King Billy
Jan 27, 2006

Thats three of ours innit...to one of yours. You know mate I really think we ought to even up the average!

Fil5000 posted:

No, it was some device that let him see the past and he used it to solve a rape/murder.

The device unhinged him though and transported him through time and space to Gin Alley on Westeros.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Box of Bunnies posted:

Yeah, the whole thing is that the Doctors turns up and completely shames the dad ("cucks", I think, in the modern parlance?), running him out of the house and leaving the mother in charge. Whether she invites him back or not, the power structure from the start of the episode has obviously been upended.

No, the point trying to be made was for the son to not completely shut his Dad out of his life. The guy is well and truly out of the house(and rightfully so), the point was to make sure the son at least kept in touch because the guy's still his Dad. Even if he is a complete rear end in a top hat that got everything coming to him.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

TL posted:

This is from a while back, and while I mostly agree, there is one area I have to disagree: while Moff is obviously an extremely talented writer, and I have no doubt he absolutely loves Doctor Who, he is a TERRIBLE producer/showrunner

I think that's fair, he did seemingly spearhead the push to really modernize the look with the shift to HD and I appreciate that but it seems pretty clear the guy should just be focused on writing instead of writing AND doing everything else.

TL posted:

But on the other hand: he give the world The Day of the Doctor, which may be my favorite episode of television ever. I've probably watched it more than any other episode and I love it just as much every time.

Yep, for every problem he might have, he made Day of the Doctor which is just utterly superb, a perfect celebration of the 50th (especially in conjunction with Davison's The Five-Ish Doctors!)

TL posted:

Brb, gonna go watch Day of the Doctor again.

This is good life advice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Neddy Seagoon posted:

No, the point trying to be made was for the son to not completely shut his Dad out of his life. The guy is well and truly out of the house(and rightfully so), the point was to make sure the son at least kept in touch because the guy's still his Dad. Even if he is a complete rear end in a top hat that got everything coming to him.

Which is still different than "the dad continues his iron fisted patriarchal grip over the family" that DocWhat was trying to portray the ending as.

• Locked thread