Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

he terminated an anti-corruption task force when it started looking into his cronies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
He also hosed over the Working Families Party for daring to consider backing Zephyr Teachout for governor, setting up a party line specifically to reduce their standing, even though they did end up endorsing him.

And there's how he's helped keep Republican control over the Senate.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

get that OUT of my face posted:

apparently when subway announcements talk about "train traffic," it usually means that they're spacing the trains evenly for god knows what reason
On the 7, "due to train traffic ahead of us" means an express is cutting in front of the local you're on.

My unfavorite announcement is "there's another train directly behind this one." That one could go either way, which is what makes it so maddening.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Absurd Alhazred posted:

He also hosed over the Working Families Party for daring to consider backing Zephyr Teachout for governor, setting up a party line specifically to reduce their standing, even though they did end up endorsing him.

And there's how he's helped keep Republican control over the Senate.
he still wants that, apparently, seeing as he blatantly announced yesterday he's setting his sights nationally by focusing on congressional seats with pelosi (puke). the thought of strengthening his credentials here by helping his ostensibly own party from getting the senate back has never occurred to him

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Illusive gently caress Man posted:

Is there a definitive list of "why Cuomo sucks"? My impression is that he's started talking a big game about being "progressive", but has a history of only supporting garbage half-measures at best. I don't actually remember anything specific to back this up.

same for schumer

the article posted in the last page about the IDC is a good start

quote:

Cuomo, however, has been both publicly cool and lukewarm over the years to the idea of an all-Democratic Senate. He has pointed out repeatedly the troubles that arose when Democrats took over the Senate for some part of two years in 2009 and how the current arrangement with the Senate GOP and IDC – upon which Cuomo has heaped much praise – has worked well in terms of getting his fiscal and policy agenda through over the years.

Last week, Cuomo said it would be “optimal” if the Senate Democrats unified, though he has not expended much political energy – at least publicly – to make it happen. Cuomo controls the state’s Democratic Party.

edit: also dissolving the ethics commission b/c it got too close to him

unbutthurtable
Dec 2, 2016

Total. Tox. Rereg.

College Slice

he still wants that, apparently, seeing as he blatantly announced yesterday he's setting his sights nationally by focusing on congressional seats with pelosi (puke). the thought of strengthening his credentials here by helping his ostensibly own party from getting the senate back has never occurred to him

Can you expand on this? I hadn't heard about it and don't see any articles clearly referring to it

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

unbutthurtable posted:

Can you expand on this? I hadn't heard about it and don't see any articles clearly referring to it
it's less "help national Democrats" and more "help NY congressional Democrats" but here's a writeup

btw everyone here should subscribe to the City & State First Read news roundup, it's where i get a lot of info

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

it's less "help national Democrats" and more "help NY congressional Democrats" but here's a writeup

btw everyone here should subscribe to the City & State First Read news roundup, it's where i get a lot of info

So he's actively sabotaging the chances for the democrats to take back the state house so he can pass good right wing fiscal agenda?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

KomradeX posted:

So he's actively sabotaging the chances for the democrats to take back the state house so he can pass good right wing fiscal agenda?

No, the lower house (the Assembly) is Democrat-controlled, while the Senate is Republican-controlled (sometimes through the IDC, sometimes through outright majority). I think he likes it because it means he gets to be a dealmaker between antagonistic parties whenever legislation needs to pass, especially during budget negotiations.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

KomradeX posted:

Basically he has more personal control and influence when the state legislature is contested, because he can pick and choose what agenda to push

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Exactly and for "some reason" he pushes a very Right Wing Agenda.

I hate myself just a bit every time I see him make the news for being so scared of the Republican in the last election that, I voted for him

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

KomradeX posted:

Exactly and for "some reason" he pushes a very Right Wing Agenda.

I hate myself just a bit every time I see him make the news for being so scared of the Republican in the last election that, I voted for him

This is why the left needs to just embrace death

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
Paladino is genuinely insane and it's an embarrassment he's still on the podunk school board he's still on.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

when new jersey's governor stopped giving a poo poo about the day-to-day affairs of his state to set his sights on the white house, his approval ratings plummeted. when new york's governor does the same thing, his approval numbers are in the upper 50s/low 60s and two-thirds of the state wants to enable his goal

my native state's electorate is more enlightened than that of the state i live in now

Grondoth posted:

Paladino is genuinely insane and it's an embarrassment he's still on the podunk school board he's still on.
ah so the buffalo school board didn't kick him off? what a worthless city

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

MizPiz posted:

This is why the left needs to just embrace death

Oh I have

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

ah so the buffalo school board didn't kick him off? what a worthless city

We're trying, you need a hearing to do that and that's June 22nd.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
LOL, the Governor wanted to grandstand, and it didn't quite work out for him:

https://twitter.com/NYGovCuomo/status/874257145226776576

90% of the comments are to the effect of "fix the subway, idiot", many literally

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

cuomo probably thinks that disgusting degenerates use the subways and that's why he doesn't give a poo poo about them. he has the worst case of westchester mentality i've ever seen. ironic given that his greasy rear end is from queens, though probably the part that's basically nassau

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

cuomo probably thinks that disgusting degenerates use the subways and that's why he doesn't give a poo poo about them. he has the worst case of westchester mentality i've ever seen. ironic given that his greasy rear end is from queens, though probably the part that's basically nassau

I'm 100% certain he thinks of the subway as a fun novelty for tourists and "adventurous" rich assholes; that's why they don't have consistent service outside of Manhattan and the first couple of stops in Brooklyn.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
you mean you don't just take a helicopter everywhere you need to go? scrubs

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

:raise:

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

guess it's more accurate to say "greasy hair"

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

guess it's more accurate to say "greasy hair"

Sounds like an anti-Italian slur to me. :shrug:

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Sounds like an anti-Italian slur to me. :shrug:
yeah sorry, i should stop that then

i wonder why mayoral control of schools is so controversial under de blasio when it wasn't under bloomberg hmmmmm

get that OUT of my face has issued a correction as of 01:34 on Jun 14, 2017

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/ArmyStrang/status/875056727103873024

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

because new yorkers like him on account of many of us being stupid as hell

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
His dad was a liberal lion and I'm pretty sure he skates by on that alone for the idiots who don't pay attention.

He's a huge piece of poo poo.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Matt Zerella posted:

His dad was a liberal lion and I'm pretty sure he skates by on that alone for the idiots who don't pay attention.
i wanna see the breakdown of approval between people who are old enough to remember mario cuomo and people who are either too young to remember or moved to new york after he left albany

andy's pulling a chris christie and actively not giving a poo poo about the affairs of the state so that he can run for president. i guess people from NJ are more enlightened than people here, because when that happened over there, his approval ratings plummeted

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

i wanna see the breakdown of approval between people who are old enough to remember mario cuomo and people who are either too young to remember or moved to new york after he left albany

andy's pulling a chris christie and actively not giving a poo poo about the affairs of the state so that he can run for president. i guess people from NJ are more enlightened than people here, because when that happened over there, his approval ratings plummeted

How can you not approve of a guy who gives out free college that's means tested to poo poo? That's like liberal catnip!

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

I did rally hate how all that coverage just ebbed at that add didn't go in't the fact that the free college is likely to benefit kids who could afford it more than those who couldn't also that Grad School wasn't covered is bullshit

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

You also have to take a minimum of five classes a semester, so it's harder to do all that and have a regular job at the same time, which you'd have to do if you have kids or family members to look after. If you're not a "traditional" college student, you're honestly better off not taking the scholarship, because they'll default to loans if you don't check off every single one of the boxes required for it to be free.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Jesus he is the most dog poo poo mother fucker in the world.

And to foo back to wats going to happen to Penn Station, gently caress him, telling people to drive in to an already over crowded as gently caress city.

Also it's been 4 to 5 years since Sandy already how are the escalators that go down into the Whitehall station still under repair?

And aren't they finally shutting down the L this summer to do repairs allegedly?

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I'm almost certain that the Cranberry Tube repair (the Manhattan/Brooklyn tunnel for the A and C trains) was supposed to have been finished at the end of last year, and hardly a weekend went by when they weren't redirected on the F line. It's almost six months later and they're still regularly doing the same repairs that were supposed to already have been finished. Same thing with the G train tunnel- every other weekend, people have to take a shuttle bus from Bedford/Nostrand to Long Island City, and I think that was supposed to have already been finished.

Does the state pay MTA workers to go underground and sit with their thumbs up their asses?

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

I would like to know just that. Like I can get things take a long time but this is ridiculous. I remember 8 years ago when thru finally fixed up the WTC stop on the 1 and than within 2 years it was back to being a construction zone. Someone with independent authority needs to audit their books because I'm convinced the fuckers are still keeping two sets of them

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

The post-Sandy R train tunnel shutdown and fix-up managed to finish a week or two ahead of schedule, and that was just three years ago. I have a hard time imagining exactly how things could get that much worse in such a short amount of time.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

I have no idea, but it seems to be the only repair they hurried on ever. Makes we wonder what corners they cut

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
cuomo is a huge rear end in a top hat, op

grah
Jul 26, 2007
brainsss

I'm almost certain that the Cranberry Tube repair (the Manhattan/Brooklyn tunnel for the A and C trains) was supposed to have been finished at the end of last year, and hardly a weekend went by when they weren't redirected on the F line. It's almost six months later and they're still regularly doing the same repairs that were supposed to already have been finished. Same thing with the G train tunnel- every other weekend, people have to take a shuttle bus from Bedford/Nostrand to Long Island City, and I think that was supposed to have already been finished.

Does the state pay MTA workers to go underground and sit with their thumbs up their asses?

Worse, they give the vast majority of overhaul work to contractors.

Less glibly, almost nothing gets done on time in the MTA. The damage is usually worse than billed, doing work piecemeal one or two days a week while it's still deteriorating isn't the most efficient, and we don't have the in-house personnel to do all of the overhaul and rebuild work that is necessary.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

logikv9 posted:

cuomo is a huge rear end in a top hat, op
:agreed:

grah posted:

Worse, they give the vast majority of overhaul work to contractors.
this makes more sense. btw is it ok if i crossposted your takedown of that six-point plan to improve the subway from the LAN thread? it's a good read

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
imo if your plan to improve the subway doesn't include increasing both man hours and capital expenditures, it's nothing but a political wankfest.