Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Faster Blaster
Feb 6, 2010
Yeah, it does, and I thought about using it for the pictures, but I was lazy/kickstand was easier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
That VFR is gorgeous. It looks like such a porker, but that somehow makes it more endearing.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
Are you negging his bike?!

Faster Blaster
Feb 6, 2010

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
OK so I might as well ask here. I'm shopping for a dirt bike to do some riding around logging trails and maybe at some dirtbike parks in the area (I'm in the PNW, there's tons of them). But I really have no clue as to what I'd be shopping for in a dirt bike.

I've got a street bike already, but am 5'6 and maybe 165 lbs. I'm trying to go for something super cheap that I can bang up without worrying about it. Should I be looking at a 150, 250? What CC is too small?

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Jazzzzz posted:

Are you negging his bike?!

:monocle: That was fast, well done, and hilarious.

turn it up TURN ME ON posted:

OK so I might as well ask here. I'm shopping for a dirt bike to do some riding around logging trails and maybe at some dirtbike parks in the area (I'm in the PNW, there's tons of them). But I really have no clue as to what I'd be shopping for in a dirt bike.

I've got a street bike already, but am 5'6 and maybe 165 lbs. I'm trying to go for something super cheap that I can bang up without worrying about it. Should I be looking at a 150, 250? What CC is too small?

Dirtbike dirt bike: WR250F
Dual Sport dirt bike: WR250R (3k might not be cheap enough) OR XT225 (cheap and light)

Paging Slaavy to come recommend the Super Sherpa again.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

Coydog posted:

Dirtbike dirt bike: WR250F
Dual Sport dirt bike: WR250R (3k might not be cheap enough) OR XT225 (cheap and light)

Paging Slaavy to come recommend the Super Sherpa again.

My budget is $1k without financing or $3k with. So I might be SOL for those particular ones. But it sounds like you're saying not to go for a 150, you think that'll be too small/slow?

EDIT: Here's one I was looking at today before I asked. No idea what the CRF 250R is designed for though. http://www.beavertonmotorcycles.com/default.asp?page=xPreOwnedInventoryDetail&id=3412575&p=3&s=Year&d=D&t=preowned&fr=xPreOwnedInventory

turn it up TURN ME ON fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Jun 11, 2017

mr_loc
Sep 17, 2003
For that price you might want to consider an early 2000s yz125. A 2t 125 isn't too slow, you just have to shift alot and stay in the powerband. The lack of weight is great.

https://eugene.craigslist.org/mcy/6150602844.html

https://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/mcy/6166185055.html

https://salem.craigslist.org/mcy/6137903563.html

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Super sherpa. Strictly dirt I'd say 150 is too small (talking 4t here), if you want to use it on the road than anything with less than ~230 tends to be really painful.

That CRF is a straight-up MX bike and will more than do the job offroad. It'll also gently caress you up if you're careless but that's ok. Keep in mind MX bikes have ludicrously severe service intervals compared to what you're used to.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

Slavvy posted:

Super sherpa. Strictly dirt I'd say 150 is too small (talking 4t here), if you want to use it on the road than anything with less than ~230 tends to be really painful.

That CRF is a straight-up MX bike and will more than do the job offroad. It'll also gently caress you up if you're careless but that's ok. Keep in mind MX bikes have ludicrously severe service intervals compared to what you're used to.

Hah, I heard "yeah basically change the oil after every ride".

Yeah I don't care about on-road, I've got a road bike if I ever want to take an actual road trip. And I've got a pickup truck to get the bike to the trail or track.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

In that case get a 2t 125 as mr_loc says. They're less maintenance-intensive than a 4t whichever way you look at it, won't hurt you, super light and the suspension is just as good as a bigger bike. You'll learn pretty quick that suspension is like the most important thing there is offroad.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

Slavvy posted:

In that case get a 2t 125 as mr_loc says. They're less maintenance-intensive than a 4t whichever way you look at it, won't hurt you, super light and the suspension is just as good as a bigger bike. You'll learn pretty quick that suspension is like the most important thing there is offroad.

Cool. I've got a goal then. 2t = 2 stroke?

Also while I'm keeping an eye out for a 125 - I'm guessing this is going to be too small/slow?

https://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/mcy/6155893505.html

turn it up TURN ME ON fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Jun 12, 2017

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Oh poo poo so I discovered I can actually fit on a Tiger 800. Somebody tell me all of the awful things about this bike because I rode it for a bit and I really really like it.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Oh poo poo so I discovered I can actually fit on a Tiger 800. Somebody tell me all of the awful things about this bike because I rode it for a bit and I really really like it.

I'd really like to have one as a second bike for long trips. You should buy it.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Mr. Wiggles posted:

I didn't choose the ADV life. ADV life chose me

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Mr. Wiggles posted:

They're good.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Rented one for a road trip once. It's very good. Too big to be my only bike, though.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

gently caress. Ok.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Mr. Wiggles posted:

gently caress. Ok.

?

It's a good bike. If it makes you happy, you should get it.

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

Do it! I want a tiger 1200 so bad aahhhh

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

builds character posted:

?

It's a good bike. If it makes you happy, you should get it.

Nah, I'm happy about it. I just means there's no reason for me to not get off my rear end and go get it.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
They're fine bikes but I found the engine terminally boring.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Z3n posted:

They're fine bikes but I found the engine terminally boring.

Yeah but this is true of every triumph bar the daytona and 1050 spiple.

Fats
Oct 14, 2006

What I cannot create, I do not understand
Fun Shoe
How's the Tiger 1050, there's one for sale here and it looks kinda neat.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Heavy. But I think all the ADV bikes are too heavy to do what they're advertised to do. As a touring bike they're great but then you may as well get a sprint ST instead. Only issue those motors have to my knowledge is a starter clutch appetite ala MV agusta but triumph, being not-italian, are able to supply an up-rated sprag and flywheel assembly that fixes the issue entirely.

Guni
Mar 11, 2010

turn it up TURN ME ON posted:

Cool. I've got a goal then. 2t = 2 stroke?

Also while I'm keeping an eye out for a 125 - I'm guessing this is going to be too small/slow?

https://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/mcy/6155893505.html

Yes (2t = 2 stroke) and yes that would be too small and possibly too slow (especially if you've come from a road bike). I'd agree with others that a 2t 125 would be your best bet, just kak[ sure you're on the pipe so you don't foul up the plug :getin:

Also, a 4t 250 would be ideal, but seriously (and even more so older CRF's) the maintenance is terrible. I have a 2016 KTM 350SXF and I change the oil every 5 hours (manual says 10) and you are supposed to do the piston and rings at 50hours.

If you're going for the lower end of the market, seriously go with a 2t, that way if the engines trashed you an rebuild the whole thing yourself for at least half the price of a 4 stroke.

Edit: a 125 is the minimum size for a "full size" dirtbike in terms of height/size (not weight - it's about the lightest). I'd suggest at 5"6 you might not be able to completely touch the ground (even tippy toes potentially, not sure), but you'll get used to it super quick.

Guni fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Jun 13, 2017

Slide Hammer
May 15, 2009

What's going on inside these little four-stroke engines that they need such frequent maintenance? It's making the periodic 2t cylinder overbore look reasonable.

tjones
May 13, 2005
You can get away with longer intervals depending on how you ride. These are MX bikes though, and are made to be flogged and put up wet.

Two smokers by design are more simple machines and have less moving parts.

If all you do is leisurely trail ride then you can double the intervals, possibly more. Keeping the air filters clean and bearings lubed is the biggest worry.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Slide Hammer posted:

What's going on inside these little four-stroke engines that they need such frequent maintenance? It's making the periodic 2t cylinder overbore look reasonable.

Ultra short stroke and big bore, very aggressive cams, often Titanium valves. Periodic top ends on a 2t seem more expensive at first glance until you do a top end on a 4t and you're replacing valves and cutting seats and poo poo. Then factor in oil and filter changes every few hours and valve clearances every few services and just doing a plug and gear oil on a two stroke becomes a lot more palatable.

They're definitely more expensive in the long run, quite literally race engines for the consumer and a far cry from the tractory air cooled shitters of old.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
The service intervals are also for racing where you're running at WOT all the time. If you do some looking around at thumpertalk, ktmtalk, advrider (maybe elsewhere) you'll see that folks are getting far better numbers. They're still ridiculous - ex. replacing the piston and rings at 2-300hours, but they're a lot better than what the manual is recommending. That's the XCF-W/EXC-F versions though, not the SX (which has, I think, higher compression and a different tune so that it gets ~10 more hp).

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Turns out when you spin tiny parts at a billion RPM's they wear out quickly.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
The WR250s and 450s seem to go forever with just regular oil changes. Those are enduros, not MX bikes, but AFAIK the motors are pretty much the same as the YZ versions, it's the gearing and suspension that's different. Is that not the case?

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Jazzzzz posted:

The WR250s and 450s seem to go forever with just regular oil changes. Those are enduros, not MX bikes, but AFAIK the motors are pretty much the same as the YZ versions, it's the gearing and suspension that's different. Is that not the case?

Just a quick google, so do your own research, but it looks like WR250R compression ratio is 11.8:1 and WR250F and YZ250F are 12.5:1. WRRs have regular/normal maintenance intervals but the WR250F maintenance interval is roughly similar to the KTMs. Redline on the WR250F may also be ~1500rpm higher, but I couldn't find that as easily.

Also, KTM 250 EXCF weighs (per KTM, with 2 gallons of fuel added) 239 lbs, WR250F weighs 256 per yamaha. But... WR250F is like $8k and KTM is ~$9,500. Anyway, I think you may be thinking of the WRRs, not the WRFs.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

It's just the natural tradeoff between power-from-displacement and reliability. All other things being equal, an engine with a higher compression ratio which spins faster will generate more power, but it puts the internal components under greater stress. The slower-spinning, lower-compression engine won't be as powerful but it will last longer. It applies equally to every combustion engine ever built.

Some very expensive limousines (think Rolls-Royce, Maybach, etc) will actually have large, high-performance engines that are deliberately detuned, reducing their power output -- because the detuned engine is still powerful enough, but is now greatly overbuilt for the power it produces, making it that much more reliable.

The extreme ends of this spectrum are e.g. a tractor motor, which makes like 150 horsepower from 8 litres and runs for decades, and a Top Fuel dragster motor, which makes 3,000 horsepower from 8 litres and lasts 3.5 seconds at full throttle.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Sagebrush posted:

The extreme ends of this spectrum are e.g. a tractor motor, which makes like 150 horsepower from 8 litres and runs for decades, and a Top Fuel dragster motor, which makes 3,000 horsepower from 8 litres and lasts 3.5 seconds at full throttle.

Sweet, I get to post this again

http://www.sccoia.org/articles/top-fuel-dragster-fast-facts/

"Spark plug electrodes are totally consumed during a pass. After 1/2 way, the engine is dieseling from compression plus the glow of exhaust valves at 1400 degrees F. The engine can only be shut down by cutting the fuel flow."

Faster Blaster
Feb 6, 2010
I don't necessarily want to become the VFR guy here, but this popped up in my search results while looking for a cheap bicycle. Seems like a pretty good deal:
denver.craigslist.org/mcy/6156695247.html
For posterity: https://imgur.com/gallery/1xrAd
There's only the one pic of the bike, but at least the right side looks ok!

Is the starter clutch issue really as easy as s/he makes it out to be, or is that a bit of a downplay? My ZX6E was starting to do that, but it was right before I sold it, so I never got into it.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Faster Blaster posted:

I don't necessarily want to become the VFR guy here, but this popped up in my search results while looking for a cheap bicycle. Seems like a pretty good deal:
denver.craigslist.org/mcy/6156695247.html
For posterity: https://imgur.com/gallery/1xrAd
There's only the one pic of the bike, but at least the right side looks ok!

Is the starter clutch issue really as easy as s/he makes it out to be, or is that a bit of a downplay? My ZX6E was starting to do that, but it was right before I sold it, so I never got into it.

Doesn't seem so bad? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bN9Jk2EUn_0 Obviously you should buy it.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Jazzzzz posted:

"Spark plug electrodes are totally consumed during a pass. After 1/2 way, the engine is dieseling from compression plus the glow of exhaust valves at 1400 degrees F. The engine can only be shut down by cutting the fuel flow."
Went to my second NHRA Top Fuel event this spring and I highly recommend it to anyone and everyone. It's hilarious and the access you get in the pits to watch them completely rebuild a big block V8 in 20 minutes is amazing.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Jazzzzz posted:

I feel like some of this is BS. The supercharger compresses the air so much that it not only reaches liquid form, but nearly reaches solid form?

Also there is this: "The constituents of air were once known as "permanent gases", as they could not be liquified solely by compression at room temperature. A compression process will raise the temperature of the gas"

:colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I feel like some of this is BS. The supercharger compresses the air so much that it not only reaches liquid form, but nearly reaches solid form?

Also there is this: "The constituents of air were once known as "permanent gases", as they could not be liquified solely by compression at room temperature. A compression process will raise the temperature of the gas"

:colbert:

"Near solid" is hyperbole for sure. That said, I have no idea how much boost pressure they're running at full throttle, the AF mix is 1.7:1 so it's already heavy on liquid, and at WOT they're dumping a shitload of fuel into the cylinder. That's gonna be a dense charge.