Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Brother Entropy posted:

what about mhw makes it have little resemblance to monster hunter

Fireflies to mark things instead of having to notice the little pixels that are supposed to be bugs or the 6 rock vein polygons sticking out near a wall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

lets hang out posted:

wanna remind people of the trailer they introduced mh4 with

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x0O9KwMZ7_8

I can't believe MH4 has no combat. I'm glad MH4U fixed that grievous error.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Argas posted:

haven't you heard? There's no music for cooking meat

genuinely a bummer but i bet if the japanese fans complain about that enough it'd be a quick fix to add

Waiting Warmly
Sep 29, 2010

Terrific Accident posted:

I am mad that they are making more monster hunter!!

I am mad that they are making more monster hunter that even hints at the return of swimming!!

Do not inflict that evil on the world again, Capcom.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Brother Entropy posted:

genuinely a bummer but i bet if the japanese fans complain about that enough it'd be a quick fix to add

It feels like an odd inclusion to have the cooking but no jingle but this isn't a release trailer or an indepth cooking tutorial.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Waiting Warmly posted:

I am mad that they are making more monster hunter that even hints at the return of swimming!!

Do not inflict that evil on the world again, Capcom.

not gonna lie this is my actual problem with that trailer.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

the videos seem to be lacking a lot of sound effects (like for picking things up), maybe they just thought cute jingles don't play at e3

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
swimming and underwater combat was cool and good

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

ChibiSoma posted:

Let's be honest. This is as much Monster Hunter as Castlevania: Lords of Shadow was a real Castlevania.

Which is to say it's visually a spectacle and has a few characters that you might remember, but otherwise it bears little to no resemblance to the thing it's claiming to be. And then maybe Satan shows up.

Calm down

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

dragon enthusiast posted:

no!

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Jesus.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

lets hang out posted:

the videos seem to be lacking a lot of sound effects (like for picking things up), maybe they just thought cute jingles don't play at e3

The whole trailer feels like it was heavily edited for the worse.

Refried Hero
Jan 22, 2006

King of the grill

https://twitter.com/Arekkz/status/874488711169298432

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde
noice, already better than tri

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

No

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

What is the swimming for then? I guess if I can stab fish and never have to fish again ever that is fine, but also fishing can and should become irrelevant via farm/market systems. I don't want to ever gather fish, is what I'm saying.

EDIT: \/ Fair point, now I feel dumb.

Cipher Pol 9 fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Jun 13, 2017

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Probably traversing the environment.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Hopefully "open world" doesn't mean "The same (good) arena fights but with travel time between each arena instead of a three second load screen."

Proud Rat Mom
Apr 2, 2012

did absolutely fuck all
This game looks like what I wanted from monster hunter since gen 1. The animations are really nice and the foliage cover seems real fun and goofy in a monster hunter way. Can't wait to see more

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

Lemming posted:

Monster Hunter desperately needs the BotW treatment (ie reassessing the assumptions and being willing to throw away anything that is holding it back due to tradition)

I mean, every stagnant series does, but MH especially

I really don't want monster hunter to have a large, uninteresting world and weapons made of rock candy. Actually, never mind; I kind of knee jerked here a bit - but I don't feel like a lot of what hold's MH back is steeped in tradition. It's more like laziness / thriftiness, like using really old models for certain monsters.

I hope they don't screw the pooch on this, the grappling hook looks really neat.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

I'm pretty sure the T-Rex had some Deviljho animations so it'll be interesting so see Rathian/Rathalos.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Breath of the Wild is a great game but MonHun doesn't need to be like it.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Nnnnnot liking how they're approaching the Bowgun, to be honest.

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

A Beard of Constant Sorrow
The backlash to some of the stuff is really funny, honestly. Games have moved on since the PS2 era, we can have big open game worlds now instead of compacting everything into smaller areas broken apart by load screens. A lot of the stuff people strangely consider "iconic" about the series, are just hanger-ons from an era where it had to be done that way. It's stuck cause the series ended up on a handheld for way too long.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

TFRazorsaw posted:

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

Arthil posted:

The backlash to some of the stuff is really funny, honestly. Games have moved on since the PS2 era, we can have big open game worlds now instead of compacting everything into smaller areas broken apart by load screens. A lot of the stuff people strangely consider "iconic" about the series, are just hanger-ons from an era where it had to be done that way. It's stuck cause the series ended up on a handheld for way too long.

Glad I lived to see the day that all games can finally live up to what they were always intended to be: open world stealth brawlers

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

TF2 HAT MINING RIG posted:

I'm pretty sure the T-Rex had some Deviljho animations so it'll be interesting so see Rathian/Rathalos.

I'd laugh if they put the time and effort into current gen graphics, only for Raths and a bunch of other gen 1/2 monsters to keep the same janky animations.

I'm interested and it could be cool.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

The graphics don't really look "next gen". They traded up from PS2-looking stuff to PS3-looking stuff, really.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
The T-Rex had Brute Wyvern body model movements, I'd say it's pretty safe to say that a fan classic like Deviljho would be back.

Additionally;

gently caress YEAH MORE MONSTER HUNTER

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

TFRazorsaw posted:

Breath of the Wild is a great game but MonHun doesn't need to be like it.

Good thing nobody's suggesting that

Bad Parenting
Mar 26, 2007

This could get emotional...

I was just happy in the knowledge that I'd be able to play monster hunter on something was wasn't a 3ds when they said it was coming to the switch. Them releasing this one on ps4 and pc is awesome, goons will always find stuff to moan about though.

FiftySeven
Jan 1, 2006

I WON THE BETTING POOL ON TESSAS THIRD STUPID VOTE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS HALF-ASSED TITLE

Slippery Tilde
While this looks great in its own way, They better still be bringing XX to the switch in the west. I want both and I will be awfully upset if they dont bother with XX.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.
Goddamn, y'all need to calm down over these trailers that show barely anything at all.

However, if Nintendo doesn't announce an English port of XX at their conference, then panic away. I know I will.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

TFRazorsaw posted:

I respect your opinion but I think gatling bowgun is Radical

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Bleck posted:

I respect your opinion but I think gatling bowgun is Radical

I'm just like

at this point, why is it still a bowgun?

it also doesn't really feel Monster Huntery.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I never thought Monster Hunter fans would be more conservative than Dragon Quest fans, a series that still uses NES era sound effects.

Proud Rat Mom
Apr 2, 2012

did absolutely fuck all

TFRazorsaw posted:

I'm just like

at this point, why is it still a bowgun?

it also doesn't really feel Monster Huntery.

Bowgun is rear end getting some good lost planet feels with that gun and mobility with hook

Proud Rat Mom
Apr 2, 2012

did absolutely fuck all
Also the map they showing looks good, can't stand that Monhun still uses poo poo old gen maps which most numbered areas are flat Psx style boxes barely big enough to fight monsters in

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
Missed the conference live and came to see people's unbridled joy after catching the archive only to discover folks are actually angry. Angry about things that don't even make sense, like zones not being divided (when clearly the swimming bits and vines you have to push aside are used to divide zones) and rapid fire bowguns (that already exist ingame with Rapid Heaven).

Monhun fans are insane and I'm kind of glad I only got into it recently/never play with people that are not my friends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hy_C
Apr 1, 2010

MH for PC, I can't believe it. I'm excited.

• Locked thread