Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Any public Starfinder materials around?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Did you read that sister?
Yes, truly a shitposter's post. I read it, Rem.

Number Ten Cocks posted:

You can't use the PRD for any options you use in PFS, you have to own the hardcover source or a watermarked PDF.

At the risk of asking a question that I already think I know the extremely retarded answer to in hopes that I'm wrong and that PFS is slightly less retarded than I think it is: why?

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

SweetBro posted:

At the risk of asking a question that I already think I know the extremely retarded answer to in hopes that I'm wrong and that PFS is slightly less retarded than I think it is: why?

Support the company seems to be the actual reason why, my local PFS group doesn't especially care about those rules though.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

SweetBro posted:

They don't want pirated media in their officially sanctioned games. And they don't want people rolling up and not being able to look up what they need to when asked.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Drowning Rabbit posted:

They don't want pirated media in their officially sanctioned games. And they don't want people rolling up and not being able to look up what they need to when asked.

The PRD isn't exactly pirated media.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

kirtar posted:

The PRD isn't exactly pirated media.

Yeah, it's outdated at times but it is an official Paizo publication.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Doorknob Slobber posted:

what was the name of the pathfinder spelljammer thing? was it starfinder?

Do you mean Starjammer; the 3rd Party Pathfinder in space game made by the creators of the PFSRD? Or do you mean Starfinder; the Pathfinder in space game made by the creators of Pathfinder?

Fun fact: Starjammer was originally called Starfinder but Paizo wanted the name. :v:

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

PRD isn't pirated and Paizo is actually legally required to keep it up to date otherwise they're in breach of their OGL agreement. But yeah, the answer was as expected, gave no actual vindication.

On a completely unrelated note, the Gonzo 3P stuff is loving amazing and very well balanced. Which leads me to a pattern I've been noticing lately: the best combination of balance and entertainment in PF is found in poo poo that doesn't have a Paizo logo on it.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

SweetBro posted:

On a completely unrelated note, the Gonzo 3P stuff is loving amazing and very well balanced. Which leads me to a pattern I've been noticing lately: the best combination of balance and entertainment in PF is found in poo poo that doesn't have a Paizo logo on it.

I mean yeah, that's bang-on, because Paizo has always been relatively conservative with their designs. I imagine part of that is from the talent they're hiring, but also largely because of the audience they're trying to cater to.

Rosemont
Nov 4, 2009

Subjunctive posted:

Any public Starfinder materials around?

There's a small bestiary that's out for Free RPG Day, but that's all I can think of.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

SweetBro posted:

PRD isn't pirated and Paizo is actually legally required to keep it up to date otherwise they're in breach of their OGL agreement. But yeah, the answer was as expected, gave no actual vindication.

What? Nothing in the OGL requires Paizo to keep up their own resource document. They do have it up for compatibility's sake - it's the Pathfinder rulebooks minus the Product Identity material so others can easily reference it - but it's to make it easier for third parties to write Pathfinder content, not a legal requirement.

quote:

I don't know about the balance, but it is fun and cute. I like the knitting class with her own stuffed flumph familiar.

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Arivia posted:

What? Nothing in the OGL requires Paizo to keep up their own resource document. They do have it up for compatibility's sake - it's the Pathfinder rulebooks minus the Product Identity material so others can easily reference it - but it's to make it easier for third parties to write Pathfinder content, not a legal requirement.

Hmm... I guess you're right.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib
At the end of the day, the reason Pathfinder Society requires you to buy the books is so that Paizo is still making money on their game. That's really the long and short of it.

Emnity
Sep 24, 2009

King of Scotland
Starting an Ironfang invasion campaign tonight with some mates, for the first time in ages I am a player not the DM.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I know like 20 people who play/have played PFS and none of them have ever owned a single pathfinder book (or pdf)

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Andrast posted:

I know like 20 people who play/have played PFS and none of them have ever owned a single pathfinder book (or pdf)

It's the classic 'Your mileage may vary'. It's a rule for PFS, but it's up to the hosting establishment to enforce them.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Andrast posted:

They don't even have a core rulebook?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Elysiume posted:

They don't even have a core rulebook?

Nope. I have never owned a single Paizo product either.

I mean, why would you need the core rulebook when all of the rules are available for free on the internet and with a better search?

Andrast fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Jun 11, 2017

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Andrast posted:

I mean, why would you need the core rulebook when all of the rules are available for free on the internet and with a better search?

Because eventually you realize that the PFSRD mean poo poo when you're up in the mountains, or any other place that has piss poor internet. :negative:

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Andrast posted:

Nope. I have never owned a single Paizo product either.

I prefer the physical books both because of the feel (maybe I'm a luddite, whenever I'm home for a holiday the rest of my family all have Kindles) and because I find that at least in my group, people get distracted and start faffing about if they're using cell phones/laptops. The one person in my group who owns no books consistently goes "huh?" a dozen times per session because he was doing something on his laptop that wasn't related, and a couple of other people will get distracted, albeit not as often.

So I'd say that personally I prefer the tactile feel of books while playing (but often prefer the SRD when theorycrafting), and don't necessarily trust other people to not get distracted. Maybe I've just been biased by the people I've played with.

Elysiume fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Jun 11, 2017

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

I actually had to break out the Core the other night because the PFSRD doesn't have the illustrations for how big the monsters are on the grid.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

Because eventually you realize that the PFSRD mean poo poo when you're up in the mountains, or any other place that has piss poor internet. :negative:

just lol if you don't have screenshots of the SRD saved on your phone

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

On the subject of supporting the devs, frankly that's a lovely excuse. It's basically pitybux, and no business should sustain itself on it. Like it's one thing if you prefer physical books and want them, it's an entirely other level of stupid to guilt/force people supplementing a company's lack of business sense with pity. I have no issue with parting money for something that's worth it, and PDFs aren't worth it. Now on the otherhand, if Paizo had basically d20pfsrd but with decent production value, I would be more than happy to fork over a subscription for it. But what do I know.

Axiem
Oct 19, 2005

I want to leave my mind blank, but I'm terrified of what will happen if I do

SweetBro posted:

if Paizo had basically d20pfsrd but with decent production value, I would be more than happy to fork over a subscription for it. But what do I know.

Totally this. I'd happily pay a small subscription to Paulo for all of the content in a nice digital form; but there's no way I'm gonna drop forty bucks on every book I might want to maybe look something up in. At a certain point, that library becomes unwieldy.

Bleu
Jul 19, 2006

Rest in peace D&D Insider, basically. I wish that business model had been repeated with Pathfinder.

Karatela
Sep 11, 2001

Clickzorz!!!

Grimey Drawer
Minor update on my Majordomo Investigator in the Kingmaker game we just started a couple sessions ago!

It turns out that Delegate is awful with my group because our Mystic Theurge-wannabe is allergic to being within 50 feet of enemies, and our two Paladins are fickle in if they feel like doing melee or ranged combat at any given time. Turns out that Escape Route was agreed to both be the best choice I could have made of all the available ones, and yet mostly worthless because fellow players basically never are in a position to interact with it. Who would have thought that a party with three (more or less) melee characters would be worthless at getting into melee?

:negative:

In better news, I am the one who keeps stabbing bosses and badasses to death (its easy when you are the main one up front half the time), and Inspiration means that I manage to get more of those important skill rolls passed (as well as a couple attacks, Extra Inspiration is likely the only "Extra X" feat I would take at 1st level due to that utility).

We hit level 2, so its thin with Poison Lore and Poison Resistance, but I am thinking level 3 should do a lot more for me when I can do untrained Knowledge checks (everything is a drat Knowledge check...). I'm mostly thinking I'd spend the feat then to get an Investigator Talent, as I normally won't get one till level 13.

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Why did the circus close?

A long, chilling list of animal rights violations.

Karatela posted:

Minor update on my Majordomo Investigator in the Kingmaker game we just started a couple sessions ago!

It turns out that Delegate is awful with my group because our Mystic Theurge-wannabe is allergic to being within 50 feet of enemies, and our two Paladins are fickle in if they feel like doing melee or ranged combat at any given time. Turns out that Escape Route was agreed to both be the best choice I could have made of all the available ones, and yet mostly worthless because fellow players basically never are in a position to interact with it. Who would have thought that a party with three (more or less) melee characters would be worthless at getting into melee?

Escape Route is a surprisingly good panic button and one of the only low-level Teamwork feats that's generically useful without building around it. Creating zones free of attacks of opportunity is proportionately more relevant at early levels, when most PCs are still going to be using standard actions to attack. I got a lot more mileage out of it when playing a gimmick Cavalier than I was expecting.

But really, this goes down to the fact that HP is a resource and a party should optimally find ways to spread the expenditure around, but some players are afraid to take anydamage. We have one guy in our group who kind of infamously always plays either a sorcerer or a bow ranger, and his first (couple) moves in every combat always involve buffing his defenses or making himself invisible.

For the first time in over a decade, he's now playing a melee character (Unchained Rogue) and his first action in combat is always to use the Major Magic rogue talent to cast Shield on himself and then in subsequent rounds wade into combat using Combat Expertise. Stacking the Combat Expertise penalties on top of the Two-Weapon Fighting penalties on a rogue base attack bonus. Sigh.

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Paladins that lack the testicular fortitude to engage in glorious melee combat against the heretic scum? Forget investigator, start taking levels in Inquisitor, call yourself a Commissar, and begin execute them for cowardice.

Karatela
Sep 11, 2001

Clickzorz!!!

Grimey Drawer

SweetBro posted:

Paladins that lack the testicular fortitude to engage in glorious melee combat against the heretic scum? Forget investigator, start taking levels in Inquisitor, call yourself a Commissar, and begin execute them for cowardice.

But how can a true :commissar: have a History... of Heresy!?

They usually manage to get into melee... sometimes. Hell, it could happen any Iomedae now, really (I also make really awful puns involving their gods name as revenge, and no, the awful puns started AFTER the cowardice).

TalonDemonKing
May 4, 2011

For those of us using Path of War, the first half of the errata dropped. Nothing maneuver related, but all the class/feats.
http://dreamscarred.com/path-war-errata/

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Some observations about the errata that I got from crowdsourcing:

* The language was clarified to reflect "initiation modifier" rather than a specific stat, since by now there's been a bunch of post-PoW features that let you change your base initiation modifier, such as a Warlord that doesn't use Charisma.

* The Stalker's Combat Precognition, which lets you spend a Ki point to force attacks against you to roll-twice-take-lowest, was nerfed from a duration of 1+Wis rounds to just 1 round period. This is probably reasonable.

* Deadly Agility, the Dex-to-damage feat, has been buffed to better match what Unchained Rogues get. Deadly Agility now no longer needs +1 BAB, and applies the same multipliers for handed-ness that Strength would.

* Weapon restrictions on Broken Blade, Scarlet Throne, Solar Wind, and Steel Serpent have been lifted, such that you can, say, make a Stalker that uses Steel Serpent with any Monk weapon

* Changes to learning and changing maneuvers known makes the system more friendly towards multi-classing, dips, and prestige classes

* The War Soul archetype for the Soul Knife no longer needs to expend their Psionic Focus to regain maneuvers, which is a good buff. Their maneuver progression was also buffed.

* Warlord Gambits got nerfed - instead of adding full Cha to the skill check involved in a Gambit, now you only add half.

* Pinhole Gambit specifically was nerfed from [initiation modifier as a penalty to target AC] and turned into [initiation modifier as a bonus to the Warlord's AC], which makes it largely incompatible with ranged attacks.

* Defensive Focus was clarified to say that it increases a Warder's reach by 5 feet minimum, + another 5 feet for every five initiator levels. It was further clarified to say that the level 10 feature to cause the Warder's threatened area to be considered difficult terrain only applies while the Warder is using Defensive Focus.

* Profane and Sacred damage were both nerfed. Instead of dealing 50% more damage to opposite-alignment targets, they now instead deal full damage to incorporeal targets and allow the bypassing of alignment-based DR.

* Greater Unarmed Strike was buffed to let it be taken earlier and be more friendly towards Monks and similar classes.

* Broken Blade was nerfed to longer grant +2 damage when using specific weapons with it, but that's probably a wash as far as opening it up to be usable with more weapons.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
So our previous game kinda blew up and it now looks like we're starting a new campaign using the Crimson Throne remaster.

Party consists of a Monk (loving sigh), a Shaman and a Wizard (or Arcanist) with me having volunteered to fill whatever hole is remaining after the others have chosen their classes. So it looks like we can use a damage dealer with social skills who maybe can also frontline? Am I pretty much consigned to a Paladin here or do I have other good choices?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Orange Devil posted:

So our previous game kinda blew up and it now looks like we're starting a new campaign using the Crimson Throne remaster.

Party consists of a Monk (loving sigh), a Shaman and a Wizard (or Arcanist) with me having volunteered to fill whatever hole is remaining after the others have chosen their classes. So it looks like we can use a damage dealer with social skills who maybe can also frontline? Am I pretty much consigned to a Paladin here or do I have other good choices?

A party without a primary social skill user would probably work fine. If that isn't an option you could play a melee bard.

For other options, the conversion inquisition for the inquisitor lets you use wisdom for bluff, diplomacy and intimidate. The traits student of philosophy and clever wordplay let you use intelligence for some of the skills if you want to play an INT-based character like alchemist or magus.

Andrast fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Jun 18, 2017

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Orange Devil posted:

Unchained Monk, as well as certain chained Monk builds, are perfectly fine, so it might not be that bad.

potentially charisma focused Martial classes include: Bard, Paladin, Cavalier (especially with swashbuckler archetype), Gunslinger (with Mysterious Stranger archetype), Magus (with bloodrager archetype), Summoner, Vigilante, Antipaladin, Ninja, Bloodrager, Hunter, Skald, Swashbuckler and Mesmirist.

I think there are ways to use Int for social skills, and the Inquisitor can do some social stuff despite being wisdom based as well. Plus the old (unchained) Rogue standby. Gunslinger and Swashbuckler are pretty weak but the other classes are pretty solid, so you should be able to find something you like.

EDIT: Vigilante, Bloodrager, Hunter, Skald and Mesmirist get a "pretty solid" purely on the fact that they have/can get casting, I'm not actually too familiar with them.

Nihilarian fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Jun 18, 2017

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

Skald is actually a pretty dang good pick I think

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

sugar free jazz posted:

Skald is actually a pretty dang good pick I think
I imagine Inspire Rage is more useful for a melee heavy party, so if half the party are going to be casters I'd probably go for Bard instead.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
Vigilantes aren't spellcasters, and they are so weak they make the monk look good.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Cease to Hope posted:

Vigilantes aren't spellcasters, and they are so weak they make the monk look good.
they get casting through archetypes

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Cease to Hope posted:

That's a silly thing to say. Stalker vigilante is a flat upgrade over rogue, and literally the only reason that avenger vigilante isn't a flat upgrade over fighter is that there's no weapon/armor training talents. Monk only compares if you're doing qinggong/invested regent stuff, and even then it has no source of broadly useful non-combat effects like renown or many guises.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Roadie posted:

That's a silly thing to say. Stalker vigilante is a flat upgrade over rogue, and literally the only reason that avenger vigilante isn't a flat upgrade over fighter is that there's no weapon/armor training talents. Monk only compares if you're doing qinggong/invested regent stuff, and even then it has no source of broadly useful non-combat effects like renown or many guises.

it's a slight exaggeration, but vigilantes belong in the same pile with unchained monk and rogue, to my mind.