Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gustav
Jul 12, 2006

This is all very confusing. Do you mind if I call you Rodriguez?

YggdrasilTM posted:

And so, the block structure is basically removed, the Gatewatch reduced as importance, the core set reintroduced, as many wanted, to have less restrictions with reprints, and the masterpieces are not in all the set anymore.
Will the magic players now stop to complain? I'm pretty sure they will not!

Many different people play magic, and they don't all want the same things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Necronomicon
Jan 18, 2004

Shovelmint posted:

Flavor text will be 25% worse

So then go back to using real-world quotes! This is the thing I miss most about old Magic. My most prized card ever is the judge promo Wasteland, but that's because I have a line from the T.S. Eliot poem as a tattoo on my arm. I'm sure there are other former English majors out there who play as well.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

quote:

I did though want to talk briefly about one R&D change today. Standard has had a rough year, so we wanted to figure out how to change things to prevent a repeat of it. To do that, we've formed a new group in R&D called Play Design. We've hired a man named Dan Burdick to manage the new team. We've allocated a number of existing R&D members to the Play Design team, including turning a couple of our contractors into full-time employees (welcome, Melissa DeTora and Andrew Brown). We're also looking externally for additional people to join the team.

The idea of Play Design is having a core set of people focused on the play environment (mostly Standard, Draft, and Sealed). They will be dedicated not just to playtesting but to be available from the very start of the process to the very end to make sure that decisions at every step are taking tournament play into account. This team is reinventing how we craft environments and how we monitor them throughout the R&D process to minimize the kind of things that have recently happen in Standard.

This dedicated "Play Design" team seems like a potentially great step in the right direction, with regards to more rigorous playtesting with a focus on competitive play. Allocating more (and better) resources to playtesting throughout the design/development process can only help. At the very least, I applaud them wanting to address the recent issues with Standard head on.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Necronomicon posted:

So then go back to using real-world quotes! This is the thing I miss most about old Magic. My most prized card ever is the judge promo Wasteland, but that's because I have a line from the T.S. Eliot poem as a tattoo on my arm. I'm sure there are other former English majors out there who play as well.

That's the MPR Wasteland, and I can confirm that they're great.

Edit:

A funny....ish Maro comic

suicidesteve fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Jun 13, 2017

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

YggdrasilTM posted:

And so, the block structure is basically removed, the Gatewatch reduced as importance, the core set reintroduced, as many wanted, to have less restrictions with reprints, and the masterpieces are not in all the set anymore.

why does it feel like some significant percentage of your posts in this thread are basically "ha ha ha magic players are never happy lol magic players"

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

Delver is bad in Modern and the joke for Legacy/Vintage is that they aren't actually formats because very few people are able to play them. 99% of my opinions are hyperbole

YggdrasilTM posted:

Literally:

ThePeavstenator posted:

Ugh, all magic players do is complain!!!

...and you still did it

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Elyv posted:

why does it feel like some significant percentage of your posts in this thread are basically "ha ha ha magic players are never happy lol magic players"

Nah, I did it only 4 times, or something like that.
- graveyard hate/artifact hate in amonkhet
- ban of felidar guardian
- changes in R&D structure
- and now.

YggdrasilTM fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Jun 13, 2017

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Autism Sneaks posted:

Yeah, lol at them arriving at the conclusion that Theros just didn't have enough umph for three sets. The "world" was fine, they just botched the set design and story

I think block fatigue really is an issue now, with twitch streaming/video content meaning that everyone experiences way more drafts per set even if they don't play them themselves. back in the day a typical player might draft 1-5 times per set and that was their only exposure to that block's limited format, whereas now you have a lot of the playerbase who have played and/or watched e.g. 20 Theros drafts by the end of triple Theros, which lowers their appetite significantly for 'Theros but with one pack different' even if the small set pack didn't suck.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
Nettle sentinel is most broken in pauper with birchlore rangers. Play pauper.

E: also viridian longbow. Pauper elves is fun as heck to play.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Bonus posted:

And contracting two words into one and calling it a day with regards to coming up with names for cards. See: Bloodrage Brawler, Bitterblade Warrior, Bloodlust Inciter, etc. And those are just from the first 20 creatures in amonkhet alphabetically.

My favorite burn spell is still Fireblast Bolt or Bolt Fireblast or Blastfire Bolt or Firebolt Blast or whatever the gently caress

One of those is the actual name of the card and I can't be bothered to remember which

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Yeah MaRo, it's almost as if most recent changes have been proven to be bad, just as the playerbase thought when they were first announced, as evidenced by you changing stuff back (Core Sets) or just going all the way with the fix (blocks)

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Jabor posted:

I got Bloodblood Blooder :(

That's games workshop's nounverber territory!

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

Serperoth posted:

Yeah MaRo, it's almost as if most recent changes have been proven to be bad, just as the playerbase thought when they were first announced, as evidenced by you changing stuff back (Core Sets) or just going all the way with the fix (blocks)

Some of the changes like doing shorter blocks were worth a shot but yeah they turned too many other knobs at the same time.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
BR update is today yeah?

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

TheKingofSprings posted:

BR update is today yeah?

Should be up very shortly, yes. MTGO/digital announcements are today as well.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Free Twin

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

It's up, Marvel banned, no other changes

http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/feature/june-13-2017-banned-and-restricted-announcement-2017-06-13

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Nah, modern is pretty good as is....but if you have to change something we should ban Death's Shadow

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Good. Marvel is garbage gameplay.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=usfiAsWR4qU

Gustav
Jul 12, 2006

Good.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
I'm in the middle of an MTGO League and fully intend to mock every Marvel player I can.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

Alright this is good lol

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
The "pair banning" idea sounded interesting. A bunch of people, myself included, thought they should have done that with Felidar Guardian. Marvel pairs with more things than Ulamog, but Felidar Guardian isn't broken on its own at all.

quote:

As such, we're going to pull back on these announcements. We will not have another banned and restricted announcement until after Pro Tour Hour of Devastation. The next announcement will be on August 28.
They've deviated more from their schedule more than they've stuck to it.

torsoboy
Sep 9, 2001

lesbian armada overlord

That's just marvelless

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

Holy crap, what a terrible year for standard. It's really remarkable that they were able to have relatively good stretches of time where things didn't need to be banned, and now all of a sudden they poo poo the bed like 3 times in short succession.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

BJPaskoff posted:

The "pair banning" idea sounded interesting. A bunch of people, myself included, thought they should have done that with Felidar Guardian. Marvel pairs with more things than Ulamog, but Felidar Guardian isn't broken on its own at all.

They've deviated more from their schedule more than they've stuck to it.

Yeah I thought it was interesting that they mentioned looking into other ways to mitigate the problem besides a ban. Not just pair banning but also allowing for Needle and Duress. Though I think sticking to a plain ban is the cleanest option for now.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

Madmarker posted:

Nah, modern is pretty good as is....but if you have to change something we should ban Death's Shadow

As much as I love playing Death's Shadow it's probably going to be the next thing in the ban crosshairs unless Hour of Devastation gives other decks a boost. The only thing is that if they're going to ban the deck they have to ban Death's Shadow itself, not Street Wraith. The fact that Grapeshot of all things is still around should show you how dedicated they are to only banning "enablers".

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

The digital announcement is that they're phasing out Magic Duels to make room for Magic Digital Next stuff in the future & the first Magic Digital Next thing will be shown off at Hascon in the fall.

meanolmrcloud posted:

Holy crap, what a terrible year for standard. It's really remarkable that they were able to have relatively good stretches of time where things didn't need to be banned, and now all of a sudden they poo poo the bed like 3 times in short succession.

it was more like one giant poo poo that they cleaned up in increments

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Is this what Type 2 was like in 2004? Bannings every month?

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Unban Emrakul.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

Tales of Woe posted:

it was more like one giant poo poo that they cleaned up in increments

It's like diarrhea. You think you're done, you wipe, and then more comes and you have to start all over again.

Gustav
Jul 12, 2006

Siivola posted:

Unban Emrakul.

Was just about to post this.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Oh, well. Time to build Mardu!

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god
B&R list update 6/13/2017: Standard has been banned.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Star Man posted:

Is this what Type 2 was like in 2004? Bannings every month?

there were only 2 instances then iirc, Skullclamp got banned and then later All The Affinity Cards got banned at once

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

ThePeavstenator posted:

Some of the changes like doing shorter blocks were worth a shot but yeah they turned too many other knobs at the same time.

Yeah shorter blocks was definitely a thing I was interested in, hence "going all in with the fix".

I just really don't like this "blaming the fans" approach to stuff, tbh.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

meanolmrcloud posted:

At least they are doing what is required to fix things. I hope all the people whose opinions got us into this mess are eating humble pie.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
Good

It's better to recognize you've poo poo the bed and clean it up rather than to pretend you didn't imo

WotC on a two day streak of doing good things

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Holy poo poo they actually did it.

So what's the field in Standard now?

Mardu
Temur energy
Ur emerge