Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wiggly
Aug 26, 2000

Number one on the ice, number one in my heart
Fun Shoe

Binary Badger posted:

Trying to convince a relative who just bought an iPhone 7 that using Wi-Fi calling will help her save money.

She has a well-meaning but I-dunno-if-she's-a-real-techie friend who says Wi-Fi is charged against her data even though she just moved up to unlimited calling, and even though it says in Verizon's own FAQ that domestic calls over Wi-Fi are FREE.

I tell her she should use WiFi calling at least at home because she has bad reception in her area. Her friend thinks it's a bad idea and will result in her being overcharged for data as she was a few months back.

Who the gently caress is right? Is she a moron for not at least wanting to take advantage of better reception, and is her friend right? Or am I a moron for trying to get her into the 21st century by taking advantage of her WiFi router?

Just to play devils advocate, could the friend be talking about getting charged for data on her home internet plan? Not that wifi calling uses that much data but data caps are alive and well in the land of the free.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArgumentatumE.C.T.
Nov 5, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

You should probably enable two-factor authentication, at a minimum.

Also are you sure those are legit emails and not phishing attempts?

Two-factor is done.

The email was just an alert (that someone signed into the account on a type of iphone I don't have), not any kind of request. I followed the advice to go to Apple's site, on my own and not following a link in the email, and change my account password.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Wiggly posted:

Just to play devils advocate, could the friend be talking about getting charged for data on her home internet plan? Not that wifi calling uses that much data but data caps are alive and well in the land of the free.

Nope, she's talking solely about the phone bill, although she does have Verizon FIOS for computer internet in addition to her phone. The friend swears anything she does that's not more than regular cellular calling will drive up her bill.

The reason she is so paranoid is that she used to be on some old poo poo plan from Verizon where she only paid for 4 GB of data monthly and one month it somehow shot up to 6 GB of usage and she had to pay big bucks for the overage. My guess is she lent it to a niece or nephew who probably downloaded a crapload of apps and then erased them quick as a bunny so as to not get caught. She upgraded to a supposedly 'unlimited' calling plan but doesn't know what her data rate is, it might be the $85 'everything unlimited' plan..

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Jun 13, 2017

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
Can I get a recommendation for a screen protector for an iPhone 7? I blew $21 on one with instructions that....weren't clear that wound up stuck to my counter, and then $8 for a 2-pack where one got dirt stuck to the adhesive almost immediately and the other doesn't quiet cover the whole screen (compatible with a 6) and it somehow already got a crack in the bottom after very light use. It wasn't in a pocket with keys, just my padded work phone.

I'd like something to covers as much of the screen as possible, is easy to apply, and is reasonably priced.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
It's 2017 so I recommend using the new technology of "nothing it will be fine"

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
The one your phone came with.

Edit: poo poo. Beaten to it. But seriously unless you work in a sand box, they're not necessary.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Death to screen protectors.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
I was not aware that screen protectors had fallen out of favor.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot
I have no case and no screen protector, it's fine. Highly recommend!

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

Depends on the individual. If you're clumsy then it might help. Also my phone screens are usually scratched to hell after a year or so, but then I carry two of them in the same pocket.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

LawfulWaffle posted:

I'd like something to covers as much of the screen as possible, is easy to apply, and is reasonably priced.

It's me, I'm the guy that always uses a case and screen protector from day-one with every iPhone. Also have never broken a screen or had an issue from dropping. Yes, I know some of you put your iPhone in the dryer with keys and sand and it comes out unscathed. You've punted it down the freeway and nothing, totally rad, but not my luck.

I used this one which isn't advertised for the 7 but fits all the same.

iCarez Anti Glare (Matte) Premium Screen Protector for iPhone 6 /6S iPhone 7 4.7 include Unique Hinge Install Method with Kits 3-Pack Retail Packaging https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00N2KYBSW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_hYdqzbZ0YJMPS

There's a ton of options though and they're probably all made in the same spot. I've always been partial to matte/anti-glare screen protectors though

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Evis posted:

Depends on the individual. If you're clumsy then it might help. Also my phone screens are usually scratched to hell after a year or so, but then I carry two of them in the same pocket.

Yeah I use a case because I'm a klutz but instead of buying a screen protector I just bought AppleCare+.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Arivia posted:

Yeah I use a case because I'm a klutz but instead of buying a screen protector I just bought AppleCare+.

I wound up buying AppleCare+ and I'll stick with the screen protector I have on it now for a while longer. If I had had AC+, I would have been able to recover my last phone and saved myself around $700. It's a tough lesson learned but at least I have an upgraded phone and some new knowledge.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

With AC+ will they replace the screen because it's covered in scratches?

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Evis posted:

With AC+ will they replace the screen because it's covered in scratches?

Depends on the technician

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Just thought I'd share :shrug:

Beatsx refurb $65 Best Buy

https://slickdeals.net/share/iphone_app/fp/294952

I like mine. They're not the best sounding BT headphones, but the most seamless

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Totally worth it at $65 though I'd be weary of best buy refurbs

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Sold. I had a rewards cert that was going to expire that I got to use.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Endless Mike posted:

Totally worth it at $65 though I'd be weary of best buy refurbs

Yeah I'm curious as to what they refurb on them as well as the warranty.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Ya it's definitely a tread at your own risk thing, but worth the gamble I'd think

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
I mean, brand new poo poo can be DOA or die not long after purchase. Refurbs are going to be almost be just as reliable, no matter who they're from.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Ya it's definitely a tread at your own risk thing, but worth the gamble I'd think

Yeah that was my thought which is why I bought them.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

cage-free egghead posted:

I mean, brand new poo poo can be DOA or die not long after purchase. Refurbs are going to be almost be just as reliable, no matter who they're from.

This is the case for anything bought from the Apple Refurb store but not at all the case for almost any other refurb store.

I always recommend people buy refurb Apple products if time isn't a factor. I don't think there's any other retailer that I'd ever recommend that for.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Thwomp posted:

This is the case for anything bought from the Apple Refurb store but not at all the case for almost any other refurb store.

I always recommend people buy refurb Apple products if time isn't a factor. I don't think there's any other retailer that I'd ever recommend that for.

This is simply anecdotal but I've bought all sorts of refurb stuff from Newegg, Amazon, ebay, Best Buy, Walmart, etc and there's only been maybe a few things that have ever failed on me, namely PC hard drives, which was actually at a smaller percentage than the brand new ones I bought.

Killstick
Jan 17, 2010

Killstick posted:

Well poo poo, i really liked the size of the 4S, not a big fan of the huge modern phones. Anyway i got the battery replaced at a "rinky-dink mall kiosk" for 40 bucks and went and got a refund. Will be buying a new phone instead.

So the shop that unsuccessfully changed my battery earlier called me back over a week later and wanted to give it another go. I hadn't ordered my new phone yet so i thought eh what the hell. They changed the battery while i waited and now it works perfectly. I also got a 50% rebate for my trouble. No SE for me i guess. For 20 bucks i'll be happy if it lasts 12 months. Anyone have any idea what they discovered to make it work?

Also how the hell does a place like that stay in business. Isn't a battery for an iphone like 100$? Even a used or refurbished or whatever battery can't leave much profit left over at a 40$ price for the whole service.

Killstick fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Jun 14, 2017

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
I've ordered half a dozen computers from Apple's refurb store and only one was faulty (an eMac whose CRT died two weeks in).

Apple's refurbs are like an insider 20% off coupon for their regular customers.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Krispy Kareem posted:

I've ordered half a dozen computers from Apple's refurb store and only one was faulty (an eMac whose CRT died two weeks in).

Apple's refurbs are like an insider 20% off coupon for their regular customers.

To be fair, every eMac died within weeks.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Killstick posted:

Also how the hell does a place like that stay in business. Isn't a battery for an iphone like 100$? Even a used or refurbished or whatever battery can't leave much profit left over at a 40$ price for the whole service.
No, not even Apple charges $100 for a battery replacement. ifixit charges $14 for the part alone, so I imagine random mall kiosks are spending less than that buying from random Chinese suppliers. Add 15 minutes of labor for a 4S, and you're still making a profit.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I'd personally sell the phone with a note saying it's had a 3rd party battery swap, as the kiosks never seem to do a particularly good job even if things seem fine at first.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

This is simply anecdotal but I've bought all sorts of refurb stuff from Newegg, Amazon, ebay, Best Buy, Walmart, etc and there's only been maybe a few things that have ever failed on me, namely PC hard drives, which was actually at a smaller percentage than the brand new ones I bought.

I've bought refurb poo poo for as long as I can remember, if the option is available, and I don't think I've ever had a big enough issue that warranted any sort of warranty debacle etc.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I don't know Best Buy's policy but when I worked for an electronics retailer we could not put returns headphones back on the floor, even if their was nothing wrong with them, due to sanitary reasons. We would always just send them back to the manufacturer and they would usually inspect them, swap out the tips and send them back as refurbs. It's likely the same thing here.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Ya I was gonna say amazon warehouse is great it's either barely used or damaged packaging

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Ya I was gonna say amazon warehouse is great it's either barely used or damaged packaging

Yeah this too. It's a really good way to save some money.

I bought a mifi controller for 29 that goes for 44 new. The box wasn't even really damaged.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

FCKGW posted:

I don't know Best Buy's policy but when I worked for an electronics retailer we could not put returns headphones back on the floor, even if their was nothing wrong with them, due to sanitary reasons. We would always just send them back to the manufacturer and they would usually inspect them, swap out the tips and send them back as refurbs. It's likely the same thing here.

It says "geek squad" certified so I just have a mental image of a best buy person in the back trying to swab the tips with alcohol or simply not giving a poo poo.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

MrBond posted:

It says "geek squad" certified so I just have a mental image of a best buy person in the back trying to swab the tips with alcohol or simply not giving a poo poo.

Having been a ~certified technician~ at a retail outlet, I can agree with this. Maybe not at the level of shoestring and bubble gum fixes, but certainly far from professional or certified (which is definitely a meaningless qualification). Maybe things are different from business to business, but for peace of mind buy it directly from the manufacturer or through some place that clearly stands beside their refurbs with a generous warranty and explanation of the refurb process (like Apple).

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

Are reservations still recommended for battery replacement at an Apple Store?

The battery on my wife's 6 is toast. According to the battery life app, it has 71% wear, only 500 mah capacity. :aaaaa:

Apparently a year of constant use and being kept in a Anker Batter case can really wallop the battery.

Edit: This is a out of warranty replacement, no AC+.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Reservations are good at busy stores. You can "fly standby" and hang out until someone doesn't show, it's worked well for me in the past but if it can wait a day or two just book a time

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

$70 now, but I bit. I've been wanting these, but not at $150. I'm sorta scared they're going to be gross, but I mean, I can just go to Best Buy and return them if I have any issue.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

MrBond posted:

Eh, Best Buy's a little different in that they have a massive returns warehouse outside of LA where they do processing and refurbishment.

When you could buy from CowBoom I used to go there to do will-call pickup. They had an old couch in the waiting area.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS
Realistically washing the silicone earbuds with soap and warm water ought to be enough. You can wet a cloth with the same soap and wipe down all the other surfaces if that still concerns you.

After that it seems pretty unlikely for the headphones to have any kind of core defect because there's no way the geek squad has any way to fix that.