Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

CityMidnightJunky posted:

42 is astonishing in that I have definitely watched it, possibly more than once, but it is so aggressively unmemorable that it has completely dropped out of my head, to the point where if I do a series watch through, I'll constantly be surprised it exists and then forget it again immediately afterwards. The whole episode has a perception filter on it.

The equivalent for me is Planet of the Dead. I do not hate Planet of the Dead, because that would require me to have formed an emotional or even an intellectual reaction to it that would differentiate the experience of watching it from having stared at a blank screen for an hour and a half.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The one bit of "42" I remember best is the Doctor yelling "COME ON, MY SON!" like he's at a football match while he's outside the spaceship trying to reach for something.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

TL posted:

This is from a while back, and while I mostly agree, there is one area I have to disagree: while Moff is obviously an extremely talented writer, and I have no doubt he absolutely loves Doctor Who, he is a TERRIBLE producer/showrunner. You can quibble with the direction he's taken the show, though overall I've enjoyed the hell out of it. But we've also essentially lost two entire seasons under his watch, and his running of the show seems to be resulting in us losing two amazing actors playing the Doctor prematurely. From that perspective, he's done a terrible job.

The rumour is that the BBC is forcing Capaldi out because they think he's costing them young female viewers, which I don't think can really be called Moffat's fault

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

docbeard posted:

The equivalent for me is Planet of the Dead. I do not hate Planet of the Dead, because that would require me to have formed an emotional or even an intellectual reaction to it that would differentiate the experience of watching it from having stared at a blank screen for an hour and a half.

I hate Planet of the Dead.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

2house2fly posted:

The rumour is that the BBC is forcing Capaldi out because they think he's costing them young female viewers, which I don't think can really be called Moffat's fault

Yeah, I don't know who to blame for this, but it's the thing that makes me the most nervous, because it also feels like they're tying Chibnall's hands out of the gate, and we probably won't get a woman in the role like... ever.

Elite
Oct 30, 2010
The thing that annoys me about Torchwood is that it started from such an advantageous position and still managed to gently caress it up horrendously. Captain Jack Harkness' paranomal investigation squad was a legitimately good concept for a show that squandered it's potential on DAY ONE so I find it bizarre it got a 2nd season, let alone a 3rd and 4th (though yeah it did pick up a bit).

It's attached to Doctor Who and has some likeable character overlap so it kinda starts with a built in audience. It's set on Earth so they don't need to do exposition about alien worlds nor try to justify why ALL OF TIME AND SPACE takes up less screentime than present day Earth, but the dimensional rift idea means they can still introduce weird and wonderful aliens whenever they want. Whilst also having a good excuse why they appear one week then are never heard of again.

Moving away from being a family show could have given them an opportunity to explore ideas too heavy for Doctor Who proper, but instead they embraced the most laughably immature idea of what "adult" means. If it was just rejected Doctor Who scripts investigated by the Torchwood team then that would have been a semi-passable show (though certainly not great), but it's the ridiculous attempts to sex things up at a cost of everything else made it truly awful.

TL posted:

This is from a while back, and while I mostly agree, there is one area I have to disagree: while Moff is obviously an extremely talented writer, and I have no doubt he absolutely loves Doctor Who, he is a TERRIBLE producer/showrunner. You can quibble with the direction he's taken the show, though overall I've enjoyed the hell out of it. But we've also essentially lost two entire seasons under his watch, and his running of the show seems to be resulting in us losing two amazing actors playing the Doctor prematurely. From that perspective, he's done a terrible job.

Well I wouldn't go quite so far as to say he did a terrible job but with the benefits of hindsight it seems fair to say Moffat's talents are better employed as a writer than as a showrunner. I was really excited when Moffat became showrunner because he had penned my favourite episodes of the revival series... but the golden age I was anticipating never really happened and the show seemed to suffer more production issues with him at the helm. And I suppose when you think about it it's kind of obvious that showrunning and writing involve different skills.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Elite posted:

The thing that annoys me about Torchwood is that it started from such an advantageous position and still managed to gently caress it up horrendously.

In retrospect, Theresa May was a poor choice of showrunner.

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

Bicyclops posted:

Yeah, I don't know who to blame for this, but it's the thing that makes me the most nervous, because it also feels like they're tying Chibnall's hands out of the gate, and we probably won't get a woman in the role like... ever.

I'm sure there are ways to get young female viewers interested in a young female Doctor, though.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Wheat Loaf posted:

In retrospect, Theresa May was a poor choice of showrunner.

Don't put the blame on me, I voted for Lord Buckethead.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Elite posted:

I was really excited when Moffat became showrunner because he had penned my favourite episodes of the revival series... but the golden age I was anticipating never really happened

You could probably argue that it did... but only for one season. :v:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Burkion posted:

It's pronounced Lord Bouquet-head :colbert:.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Burkion posted:

"Lord Buckethead, prime minister."
"Yes, we know."

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Babelcolour has done another excellent Almost Doctors:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QctIQ_EDroI

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

vegetables posted:

I'm sure there are ways to get young female viewers interested in a young female Doctor, though.

*BBC executive voice, sucking in air through teeth* Ehhhhhh, I'm just not sure it's time for that sort of risk, let's play it safe, go with a dashing, romantic sort of fellow.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

2house2fly posted:

Crazy decision, anecdotally talking to my gf and other female friends they almost uniformly list Clara as thw main reason they lost interest in Who.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Senor Tron posted:

Crazy decision, anecdotally talking to my gf and other female friends they almost uniformly list Clara as thw main reason they lost interest in Who.

Hey, snap. It's the same among my gal pals.

(Not that it probably means very much, as I know the character had a huge female tumblr following -- Including that one that was obsessed with Clara's status as a "wannabe tragic heroine". Project much? -- but I digress. It's interesting to note, is all.)

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Lol if you think the doctor won't be a white male forever

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Every woman I have talked to has listed Tennant as their favorite, with maybe Eccleston as their second favorite. One or two actively disliked Smith (for having no eyebrows, or for sexualizing the Tardis - though I'd blame Moffat for that).

It's not that many but still.

I kind of am not sure of the point of changing the gender or race of the doctor beyond giving a more diverse list of actors that position. The doctor is an alien who did not come from any human culture, and does not represent something a person can be, storywise at least. Maybe that could be solved if they do more with the concept of the people he meets being inspirations for his new forms, more than the Roman who became 13's face, but that's not really the same as becoming the Doctor. I don't know.
At the end of the day it would be a nice gesture, and it might be more possible if they have their tennant 2 for a while, but idk.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

It's almost as if women make up more than half the population and their opinions on TV characters are going to vary very widely.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Hemingway To Go! posted:

I kind of am not sure of the point of changing the gender or race of the doctor beyond giving a more diverse list of actors that position. The doctor is an alien who did not come from any human culture, and does not represent something a person can be, storywise at least. Maybe that could be solved if they do more with the concept of the people he meets being inspirations for his new forms, more than the Roman who became 13's face, but that's not really the same as becoming the Doctor. I don't know.
At the end of the day it would be a nice gesture, and it might be more possible if they have their tennant 2 for a while, but idk.

I think it would be interesting because it would create new story opportunities, but at the same time, the value of that is contingent on the writers making the most of those opportunities. Suppose, for instance, that Doctor Who had continued into the 90s and eventually Art Malik was cast as the Ninth Doctor in 1995 after Richard Griffiths quits as Eight. A story where the TARDIS lands in the British Raj would be very different than if the Doctor appeared to be a white Englishman. Of course, as I said, that depends entirely on the writing staff being game for taking advantage of the chance to tell that kind of story.

But even if they don't want to do that - if they decided, "Let's cast X, Y or Z because they'd just be good at it and not bother about making a point" - I can't really think of any good reason not to do it. :shrug:

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Murderion posted:

I remember Countrycide as being a decent horror episode completely at odds with the rest of the season, but then again I watched like 10 years ago and lol if you think I'll go out of my way to look up S1 Torchwood.

Oh, the one where Jack busts into the barn on a tractor and shoots the cannibal grandpa with a shotgun.

fake edit: Jack has the shotgun

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
So the Radiophonic Workshop are going to be performing live at the Science Museum in London this Friday evening, including doing a version of the Who theme.

Details/tickets here

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Namtab posted:

Lol if you think the doctor won't be a white male forever

BBC: Let's cast this Swinton fellow, he seems like quite the handsome chap!
Chibnal: Actually Til-
Moffat: Shuuuuuuut upppppppppp

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Jerusalem posted:

BBC: Let's cast this Swinton fellow, he seems like quite the handsome chap!
Chibnal: Actually Til-
Moffat: Shuuuuuuut upppppppppp

She'd also beat out Hartnell and Capaldi as the oldest person to be cast as the Doctor.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
This episode wasn't bad, though the crumple effect was super-cheesy.

Astroman posted:

Why not? Are there diversity quotas for BBC historical programs now? Is it just with British historical representation? I can't remember, but does anyone recall if any of Ashildr's fellow Vikings were black?

I just don't understand how it's racism to portray actual, real historical racism. It's denying lovely history to protect modern feelings and it does a disservice to kids who will watch and think everything in the past was OK.

On the other hand if it's researched and legit, good on them. I did spend some time looking, and there isn't a lot about black soldiers in the Victorian Army--in fact there's nothing I can find. There's stuff about all black overseas native units, black soldiers in the American Revolution on both sides, WWI, WWII, and the Napoleonic War (with one cryptic sentence about how blacks served alongside whites in the regular army until the mid 19th century). Nothing about the Victorian era, which I would kneejerk suspect was more racist but I'd be interested in knowing more.

There were almost certainly black (or at the very least nonwhite) vikings; the vikings reached north africa and are known to have bought slaves (likely west african) there, and we also know that some scandanavian tombs contain religious and cultural tokens from the middle east and north and west africa. Again, like the black footman mentioned, it would've almost certainly been unusual, but the vikings really got around.

CityMidnightJunky posted:

There was an episode of Torchwood that was actually quite close to this

From memory, there was an alien who had to have sex with people to survive, and when the victim climaxed they exploded. She tried it on with Gwen but then was all 'uh, this isn't going to work' when she realised Gwen didn't have a penis.

Torchwood was something else.

what the gently caress even was torchwood

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

spectralent posted:

Namtab posted:

All I remember about the episode is the sex alien fuckmurdering her way through the sperm donation clinic but probably.

E:"Originally entitled "New Girl", the episode was written to interpret Gwen's "first day in hell". On the sex gas, series creator Russell T Davies stated "when we're launching a new adult science fiction drama, it's kind of inevitable you're going to do the sex monster". "

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Davros1 posted:

She'd also beat out Hartnell and Capaldi as the oldest person to be cast as the Doctor.

Does it count as oldest if she is essentially ageless?

Because if that's the case they could also cast Gillian Anderson as the Master (also Bryan Fuller becomes the showrunner)

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

spectralent posted:

Two seasons of Chris Chibnall furiously masturbating all over our television sets.

Jerusalem posted:

(also Bryan Fuller becomes the showrunner)

Jesus, if you thought Moffat had trouble getting stuff done on time...

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Torchwood is so absurd that its plot descriptions come up when you're making fun of the guy who spewed out a bunch of weird nonsense about how a character's vagina is a plot point, and compared to Torchwood, that guy arguably comes out on top.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Timby posted:

Jesus, if you thought Moffat had trouble getting stuff done on time...

Oh it would be a mess. But a glorious, BEAUTIFUL mess :shobon:

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Bryan Fuller is really good at artistic direction, which is how all of his shows have incredible visuals and they all feel like these unique genre blends, which you'd think would make him a good match for Doctor Who, but when he clashes with network brass, he subscribes to the "Then I'm taking my ball and going home!" school of negotiation, which is how he's had several decent shows yanked out from under him. I also suspect that his Doctor Who would be less like American Gods and Pushing Daisies and more like his work on Star Trek, which, as a reminder, includes the worst episode of Voyager (yes, worse than the lizard sex episode).

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Bicyclops posted:

but when he clashes with network brass, he subscribes to the "Then I'm taking my ball and going home!" school of negotiation

Or he just flat-out gets fired, like with Star Trek Discovery.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Wait, he was involved with the new Star Trek?

WAIT, there's a new Star Trek!?!

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

The designs for 13's first companion "Handles Mk II" sure are different!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Look all I'm saying is that if there is going to be a new Star Trek, it should be a followup to DS9 and about Sisko returning from The Black Lodgethe Wormhole, and the show is written, directed and produced by David Lynch.

Surely that isn't asking too much.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Jerusalem posted:

New series exclusive to CBS All-Access in North America and on Netflix internationally, set ten years prior to the Original Series. Premiering this fall. It's had an insanely troubled development history and while Fuller was originally in charge of it, after production was delayed three times because he was being a prima donna about the scripts, CBS finally shoved him out the airlock and replaced him.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Jerusalem posted:

There was supposed to be one but he hosed it up and someone else gets to make it. Saw it discussed in more depth elsewhere, will link when I find it.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Timby posted:

Or he just flat-out gets fired, like with Star Trek Discovery.

That's why he gets fired. Not that the people running Dead Like Me weren't complete assholes, and I frankly don't blame him for clashing with them, but that was a "You can't fire me, I quit," situation. I'm really glad he's on American Gods, because it seems to be a huge group of people who won't budge that somehow ended up with the best of all of them and very little of the worst. If he were in charge of Doctor Who, it'd have one really interesting, weird and very enjoyable episode, and then it would be canceled for 50 years.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Bicyclops posted:

Bryan Fuller is really good at artistic direction, which is how all of his shows have incredible visuals and they all feel like these unique genre blends, which you'd think would make him a good match for Doctor Who, but when he clashes with network brass, he subscribes to the "Then I'm taking my ball and going home!" school of negotiation, which is how he's had several decent shows yanked out from under him. I also suspect that his Doctor Who would be less like American Gods and Pushing Daisies and more like his work on Star Trek, which, as a reminder, includes the worst episode of Voyager (yes, worse than the lizard sex episode).

Which Voyager episode out of curiosity, because there is a couple I can think of off the top of my head that are far worse than Threshold.

Timby posted:

New series exclusive to CBS All-Access in North America and on Netflix internationally, set ten years prior to the Original Series. Premiering this fall. It's had an insanely troubled development history and while Fuller was originally in charge of it, after production was delayed three times because he was being a prima donna about the scripts, CBS finally shoved him out the airlock and replaced him.

It's also pretty obvious that CBS are trying their damnedest to strangle the entire show in the crib, so it's probably not entirely Fuller's fault regarding the scripts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Which Voyager episode out of curiosity, because there is a couple I can think of off the top of my head that are far worse than Threshold.
One of the Irish Village ones?

• Locked thread