Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

RBA Starblade posted:

death blossom is ready

REPOSITIONING

"You have been revealed"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Fangz posted:

I think the typical errors beginners make are undervaluing having a concealed scout, over reliance on overwatch, and not thinking hard enough about order of operations in terms of keeping back soldiers with Get Out Of Jail cards to act last if things go wrong.

Also low cover is only a last resort, not something you plan to use.

Fangz posted:

You really wanna minimise the amount of RNG you are exposed to.

...and explosives have the least amount of RNG in the early-mid game.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

You can also pretty much treat any mission you have to evac like an og xcom terror mission, just lob explosives everywhere until the area is a barren wasteland

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
The expansion sure looks like... something.

Andre Banzai
Jan 2, 2012

Fuzz posted:

The expansion sure looks like... something.

2012 - XCOM: Enemy Unknown

2017 - XCOM: Enemy Flamboyant

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Andre Banzai posted:

Both XCOM and Advent are deploying flamethrowers to the battlefield now.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Andre Banzai posted:

"FINALLY, A REAL BATTLE" barked the blue klingon, as she unsheathed her lightsaber bat'leth.

Foglet
Jun 17, 2014

Reality is an illusion.
The universe is a hologram.
Buy gold.
I'm all for more XCOM goodness, yet somehow never have I ever thought during any of my playthroughs: "Hey, wouldn't it be awesome if ayys could, you know, exchange a couple quips with me before and after the battle".

It just feels... wrong to me that they now know English perfectly well and use it for the worst sort of cliches. I'm absolutely going to buy the expansion upon launch (or perhaps even pre-order) and add another 200 or so hours to the total, but this in all likelihood will be cringeworthy each time, same as when that Ethereal hivemind started talking during the final EU/EW mission.

Foglet fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Jun 13, 2017

Joust
Dec 7, 2007

No Ledges.
Sass is the new resource mechanic.

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

They've had 20 years to learn English though :goonsay:

Joust
Dec 7, 2007

No Ledges.
Look sectoids JUST got mouths okay?

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

Which reminds me we're still waiting on our pet EU sectoid DLC. I really miss the little buggers.

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012
Commander, we've learned the Advent forces have learned of the power of your mama jokes. Shen has some ideas on how to counter this new threat

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
I still remember when y'all called Exalt hipster rear end fedora wearing motherfuckers that had no place in XCOM. The Chosen look stupid, but I'll wait until I see them in game before I say either way.

Foglet
Jun 17, 2014

Reality is an illusion.
The universe is a hologram.
Buy gold.
Alien Rulers Mascots Waifus.

Well, I'm still waiting for that Selfie DLC for XCOM 2.

Also Interactive Ufopedia.

Also VR Autopsies.

Andre Banzai
Jan 2, 2012

Foglet posted:

this in all likelihood will be cringeworthy each time, same as when that Ethereal hivemind started talking during the final EU/EW mission.

Good to know I wasn't the only one who was annoyed at that "let us explain everything to you now before the final battle" part. Ugh.

scaterry posted:

Commander, we've learned the Advent forces have learned of the power of your mama jokes. Shen has some ideas on how to counter this new threat

LOL!!!! Hahahahahahahahahaahahahahahaha

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
I will buy the game if one of the Chosen turns out to be William Carter.

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008

Foglet posted:

Alien Rulers Mascots Waifus.

I just got this mental image of having Tygan research the perfect gifts to give your alien waifu to raise her affection meter, and Snake Dick stutteringly telling Bradford that he's not tongue-grabbing him because he LIKES him, or anything....

Exposure
Apr 4, 2014
So the ruler redesign seems pretty solid:

https://twitter.com/SolomonJake/status/874719632178819073

For those who can't see twitter at the moment, alien rulers will react only to actions they can see (though it's probable that to prevent the obvious exploit from a basic implementation on this, they'll also react to any actions that causes damage to them), and reloads will no longer count as an action that causes a ruler to react.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer

scaterry posted:

Turn-based tactical insults aren't a new thing in video games, but previously they've been limited to the adventure game genre. We're bringing them into the world of squad-based strategy

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Canuck-Errant posted:

Turn-based tactical insults aren't a new thing in video games, but previously they've been limited to the adventure game genre. We're bringing them into the world of squad-based strategy

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > XCOM 2: How appropriate, you fight like a cow!

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Rookersh posted:

I still remember when y'all called Exalt hipster rear end fedora wearing motherfuckers that had no place in XCOM. The Chosen look stupid, but I'll wait until I see them in game before I say either way.

EXALT were extremely goofy and dumb; fighting against endless legions of 1920s gangster alcohol bootleggers with laser rifles was really silly every time I did it. The Chosen in the preview look dumb in a different way, but equally dumb.

That said, EXALT worked out really well in actual gameplay terms and I have faith in Jake Solomon to make sure that the Chosen do too.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Exposure posted:

For those who can't see twitter at the moment, alien rulers will react only to actions they can see (though it's probable that to prevent the obvious exploit from a basic implementation on this, they'll also react to any actions that causes damage to them), and reloads will no longer count as an action that causes a ruler to react.

Crap, this means that the way I used to cheese one of them that one time won't work anymore.

Accidentally spotted one with a ranger that moved forward and activated it. He was getting shot at, so I activated Conceal, and dropped him back into concealment. He was the only one in the Viper King's Line of Sight; I proceeded to start shooting at him with two snipers, one with Venom Rounds. He got his reactions, but he didn't do anything with them. Just whittled him down until he said "F this" and left. I was very confused and amused.

If they only get reactions to stuff in their LoS, I can't do that again.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Exposure posted:

So they still react to movement? Bollocks.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer

MarquiseMindfang posted:

So they still react to movement? Bollocks.

Like a T-Rex.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Kanos posted:

EXALT were extremely goofy and dumb; fighting against endless legions of 1920s gangster alcohol bootleggers with laser rifles was really silly every time I did it. The Chosen in the preview look dumb in a different way, but equally dumb.

That said, EXALT worked out really well in actual gameplay terms and I have faith in Jake Solomon to make sure that the Chosen do too.
Yeah. I don't doubt that, gameplay-wise, we're in for a treat. I'm just disappointed with the over-the-top goofy tone from the expansion trailer, whereas Enemy Unknown felt kind of creepy at times.

It reminds me a bit of the tonal shift from the original Diablo (dark) to Diablo 3 (lol).

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Wonder how they handle moving in and out of their LOS.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Ersatz posted:

Yeah. I don't doubt that, gameplay-wise, we're in for a treat. I'm just disappointed with the over-the-top goofy tone from the expansion trailer, whereas Enemy Unknown felt kind of creepy at times.

It reminds me a bit of the tonal shift from the original Diablo (dark) to Diablo 3 (lol).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pX0Cm3N_n6k

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Pretty much this.

You sure y'all ain't thinking of Terror from the deep?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMyPVpogqcM

(oh my god the xcom aquanaut is called Jake!, This explains everything!)

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Xcom Apocalypse was extremely serious with its play-doh aliens.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Internet Kraken posted:

Wonder how they handle moving in and out of their LOS.

I'd imagine they're using the Covering Fire mechanics to trigger it, or something similar. So moving one square inside their vision triggers it like it does Overwatch.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

All I gotta say is I love the idea of the Chosen warping in and saying their big bad line... To three XCOM agents wearing alien corpses as suits, a fourth with a crystalized Sectoid brain in his back pocket, a psycher and a Sparks.

Julian: "You really think you're the scariest, most hosed up person in this room? That's cute."

Alkydere fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Jun 14, 2017

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Did people in this thread also complain about Julian's incredibly angry and condescending voice acting? Cause I loved it. That kind of ridiculous attitude is what I like to see in Xcom villains cause it makes it so much more satisfying to blow them up.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
I'm sure that it won't be too hard to mod out their little cutscene and related voice barks with whatever you want. Hank Hill voice clips.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

Zore posted:

One of the new classes has a 'Get over here!' grab like Vipers do with a long metal cable it uses to grab enemies by the neck. There's a cool pic on the Steam page.

That armor looks dope as hell. What.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Bob NewSCART posted:

That armor looks dope as hell. What.

That's the Skirmisher soldier's armor. He's supposedly a human/muton hybrid.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

It almost looks like he's wearing plates from a MEC as armor.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Internet Kraken posted:

Did people in this thread also complain about Julian's incredibly angry and condescending voice acting? Cause I loved it. That kind of ridiculous attitude is what I like to see in Xcom villains cause it makes it so much more satisfying to blow them up.

best part is that you can "put" him inside a spark and get his voice acting for that unit. unfortunately it seems to have a huge priority or something so you get tired of his (otherwise fantastic) lines real quick

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

I'm hype as gently caress for Harbinger to finally get traded to XCOM2 and you all are a bunch of fuckin dorks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Cythereal posted:

That's the Skirmisher soldier's armor. He's supposedly a human/muton hybrid.

Wait what? When did that get dropped?