Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Kirk died on a ship and died on a planet, most people only die once after a 30 year career of saving the galaxy. Then he just wrote some books where he un-died.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

If you're going to make a movie about Kiefer Sutherland being a doctor who almost dies, make Dark City 2, drat it

We don't need a sequel to a perfect movie. Especially given Alex Proyas' output since...

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Timby posted:

Was anyone really yearning for a sequel to an incredibly mediocre, barely remembered 27-year-old movie?

Well, if Flatliners isn't your thing, there's also a remake of Jacob's Ladder in production!

Tars Tarkas posted:

Kirk died on a ship and died on a planet, most people only die once after a 30 year career of saving the galaxy. Then he just wrote some books where he un-died.

I remember reading the first book in that series where Kirk comes back and it's so completely ridiculous. As much as Kirk is Gary Stuified in it, my favorite scene is probably the ancient McCoy being rushed in from another planet to take over for Bashir mid-surgery and show him how it's really done.

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

FELD1 posted:

Is there some sort of Star Trek megathread you all could take this?

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

ruddiger posted:

That guy who's playing Commissioner Gordon on Gotham looks like a young Russell Crowe, they should've got him for Jekyll and Crowe as Hyde.

I actually would prefer a jeykill/hyde version without any physical transformation, just have him be extremely bipolar/schitzo so it's just acting changes.

Mummy was decent enough and had some neat bits and didnt drag. Worth a watch, but maybe you can wait for redbox. I didnt bother with 3d.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Speaking of 3D, when I was in the cinema yesterday watching the trailers before the movie they ran an ad for an upcoming 'classics' season where they bring back old fan favourite movies. They're going to start with the film that had the biggest box office haul in history: James Cameron's Avatar. But just the 2D version, not the 3D version. :doh:

Wtf. Bring back 3d Hugo, Gravity, etc.
Now that most theaters are digital only it'd be nice if some got fiber internet and could get a theater-only netflix system for 4k streams, then just show tons of old movies for like 2 dollar tickets. Even let people vote on their app what the friday night movie should be at their local theater? Might get people back to theaters more if they could see Aliens or Predator or Casablanca or whatever on the big screen, without shelling out full ticket price.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Has anyone seen It Comes at Night?

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

got any sevens posted:

I actually would prefer a jeykill/hyde version without any physical transformation, just have him be extremely bipolar/schitzo so it's just acting changes.

Just his eye color should change.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Chairman Capone posted:

Nah, my girlfriend keeps the lights off while we are in bed.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Chairman Capone posted:

more like poo poo comes at night

heyooooo

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

MacheteZombie posted:

Just his eye color should change.

And in one scene Hyde wears colored contacts to fool you, the viewer, that he is still Jekyll.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

well why not posted:

I've said it before, if you just wanna watch a movie but can't pick, just pick a Tom Cruise movie because on average they're great. I wouldn't even call myself a fan, but I can't deny he's got just about the most solid filmography of any working film star.

That's a really interesting theory, and a pretty clever way to make your film multi-purpose.

Tom Cruise, Bruce Willis, and Tom Hanks are all solid 95% of the time. Going back there was Eastwood and Wayne too.

muscles like this! posted:

The thing that bugs me about the first Scorpion King movie is that he defeats the bad guy at the end of the movie by doing something that didn't work earlier.

I bought the dvd last week (came with a coupon for a free ticket to Mummy) and there was a deleted scene where the bad guy was going to get invincible from standing on a certain spot on the roof that last night, but the dynamite screwed it up or something. It needed a little diff editing to fix I guess, what we're left to assume is the Rock pulled his bow back a little extra and fired the arrow too fast to block?

Timby posted:

It began development as a direct sequel to The Fugitive, with Kimble and Gerard teaming up after Gerard is framed by a corrupt FBI agent. After Ford said, "Wait, no, this is poo poo" and abandoned the project, they rewrote the script to have Snipes' character as the one being framed and gave Jones a hefty payday to do it.

Harrison Ford is awesome

Edit: Proyas-chat, Gods of Egypt is great fun, more like the Brendan Frasier Mummy than the new one. A better Set character too.

got any sevens fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Jun 13, 2017

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Does Mummy Hyde looks as cool as this guy?

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

got any sevens posted:

Bruce Willis... solid 95% of the time.

I'm not sure that I agree with you a hundred percent on your policework there, Lou.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

FreudianSlippers posted:

Does Mummy Hyde looks as cool as this guy?

Nope. If I remember well only one of his hands looks sort of hairy. They just throw a voice effect, his face gets a bit purple? Red? and that's it. No real amazing changes, I was expecting bigger monster, clothes torn, etc. I liked the way he kicked Tom's character rear end, but still it needed a bit more.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Timby posted:

Was anyone really yearning for a sequel to an incredibly mediocre, barely remembered 27-year-old movie?

I wasn't asking for it, but I was thinking "what if they rebooted Flatliners" about a month ago for no particular reason. Do I have a monkey's paw somewhere I don't know about?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Chairman Capone posted:

My theater hated it but I thought it was really solid and engrossing. It's less of a horror film and more a really good character study.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

Big Mean Jerk posted:

My theater hated it but I thought it was really solid and engrossing. It's less of a horror film and more a really good character study.

Yeah I haven't seen it but it got like a "D" on Cinemascore which usually means "it's not what I expected." Horror has an especially tough time because it also gets "it wasn't scary."

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

got any sevens posted:

Tom Cruise, Bruce Willis, and Tom Hanks are all solid 95% of the time. Going back there was Eastwood and Wayne too.

You clearly haven't looked at Bruce Willis' IMDB page. John Wayne's either.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Disappointed this isn't a sequel to Undercover Brother

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Skwirl posted:

You clearly haven't looked at Bruce Willis' IMDB page. John Wayne's either.

I have :devil:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

porfiria posted:

Yeah I haven't seen it but it got like a "D" on Cinemascore which usually means "it's not what I expected." Horror has an especially tough time because it also gets "it wasn't scary."

I haven't paid any attention to the marketing (aside from the Drafthouse Recommends stuff), but I get the feeling the film has been marketed as a straight horror film. That's clearly what the audience was expecting and they were not happy with what they got. It has horror elements but it's definitely a suspenseful drama first and foremost.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

What's really desperate about the Dark Universe is that it relies on A-Listers who are in their fifties instead of promoting any new or upcoming talent like Marvel. Sort of like how Beauty and the Beast'17 cast Emma Watson in the lead role because of star power, instead of getting an actress who could loving sing and act. (Not that she's middle aged, just that she's already famous)

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

marshmallow creep posted:

I wasn't asking for it, but I was thinking "what if they rebooted Flatliners" about a month ago for no particular reason. Do I have a monkey's paw somewhere I don't know about?

Possibly. It's not a reboot, it's a sequel.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Inspector Gesicht posted:

What's really desperate about the Dark Universe is that it relies on A-Listers who are in their fifties instead of promoting any new or upcoming talent like Marvel. Sort of like how Beauty and the Beast'17 cast Emma Watson in the lead role because of star power, instead of getting an actress who could loving sing and act. (Not that she's middle aged, just that she's already famous)

Yeah, god forbid actors be allowed to age gracefully instead of being immediately junked in favor of the hot new thing as soon as the first wrinkles show up. *Especially* female actors like Emma Watson. Christ, what is she, like 25? Hollywood's a game for the young.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Your definition of "solid movie" is all encompassing to the point of being useless.

Eastwood has been in some stinkers too.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

How can anyone possibly think Marvel promotes young and upcoming talent?
Like, goddamn, guess Robert Downey Jr., Paul Rudd, all the Chrises just popped into being a few years ago.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

wyoming posted:

Like, goddamn, guess Robert Downey Jr., Paul Rudd, all the Chrises just popped into being a few years ago.

Yeah, you could argue that Pratt and Hemsworth were newcomers, but that's pretty much it. Downey Jr has been around since the 80s, Norton peaked late 90s, Evans had his first lead role in 2001 and had already tried two other comic book franchises, Ruffalo has been working in big projects pretty consistently since the early 2000s and Paul Rudd is eternal. Of their secondary characters, Anthony Mackie is 38, Scarlett Johansson has been a reasonably big deal since 2001, with Ghost World, and blew up with Lost in Translation, and pretty much all their villains are established character actors with careers going back a couple of decades.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

wyoming posted:

I think maybe the way he was looking at it is that a lot of the people Marvel cast became stars thanks to those films, where Universal is casting established stars already. Evans and Hemsworth had roles before, but Captain America and Thor really made their popularity soar. Pratt wasn't thought of as a leading man until Guardians. Bautista was given a role to shine in. So I can see that argument being made.

That said, Universal would be dumb if they didn't continue to use Sofia Boutella. I think she can be a star.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

wyoming posted:

I think they're probably more comfortable taking a few more risks, although the lack of young actors may stem from the lack of young characters when they don't have the X-Men to pull into. Maybe they'll do a Runaways? But as for upcoming, Chadwick Boseman and Tom Holland are relatively new faces who are headlining movies, unless I'm missing some major work from either of them. I don't remember Hiddleston being a big name before Loki, either. On the director front, James Gunn and Taika Waititi have made a number of critically acclaimed indie flicks that nobody saw unless they're already a film buff.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

GrandpaPants posted:

Maybe they'll do a Runaways?

They were working on that for years, but then Marvel Studios ditched it after re-jiggering all their "Phase" plans and eventually it wound up with the TV division. I think the series is currently shooting for release sometime early next year.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Codependent Poster posted:

Evans and Hemsworth had roles before, but Captain America and Thor really made their popularity soar.

People keep saying this, but neither of them have had a single hit that doesn't involve their Marvel character since then. Snowpiercer was great, but no one watched it. Hemsworth has been in at least two really big flops and the underperforming ghostbusters (which actually did fine, but nowhere near expectations) unless you're counting his cameon Star Trek: Into Darkness, reprising a role from two years before Thor.

They signed people with nothing else one because it's easier to get them into multiple film deals. If you look at Jennifer Lawrence's situation with X-Men, you can see why they don't want someone who's got any weight to throw around.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

I wouldn't so much say that THAT'S what's really desperate about the concept, though they are definitely banking almost entirely on Tom Cruise selling this movie/that cinematic universe kick-off. The same can't really be said of Johnny Depp as the Invisible Man; he's certainly rolled out his share of poo poo movies and isn't necessarily a guaranteed box office draw unless it's a Pirates movie.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

This is from GBS thread:

quote:

I'm a fairly well known screenwriter and have worked on a variety of movies since 2005. Sometimes I'm credited as the writer, sometimes I do minor revisions and punch ups, but it's a good job if you can get it. Here's some stuff, because I love this thread.

There's multiple versions to all the Transformers movies floating out there, including ones all about the robots and ones where the robots don't even talk. I personally worked on one titled "Transformers: Dreadnought" which was about the moon being revealed as a giant rock covered Transformer named Unicron, which attempted to destroy the entire Earth. Maybe that comes after the next movie, who knows?

There's a script floating out there, unloved and unwanted, called "Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark". It's about a boyscout troop who gets lost in the woods overnight. Something is in the woods near them, and to keep their minds off of it, the scout leader has them all tell scary stories. All based off those old books every kid loved and was terrified of. 5 short stories - the killer scarecrow, the spider eggs in the face, the decapitated woman who wears a ribbon to keep her head on, the hook handed killer, and the guy who finds a big toe in his field. A good mix of weird and scary and darkly funny. As the movie goes on the night gets darker and weirder around the boyscout troop. At the end, the kids all realize that nothing is as scary as their imagination, one kid even says "I guess there's nothing in real life to be that scared of"- until the scoutmaster pulls off his face, revealing a skull with bloodshot eyes and says "Are ya sure about that??!?"

I worked on the soon-to-come Nightmare on Elm Street reboot (2nd attempt). I have no idea about casting, so I can't say anything on that. But the script is a back to basics deal I hope makes for a better film than the recent remake.

I met Tom Cruise once and he was super nice to me. He still sends me a Christmas card every year with $5 in it, like he's my uncle or something.

On the other hand, I met John Rhys Davies. He might have just been in a bad mood, but he was really rude and even let out a giant fart in the middle of us talking, then acted like nothing happened.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

quote:

He still sends me a Christmas card every year with $5 in it, like he's my uncle or something.

I don't know how to react to this.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Schwarzwald posted:

I don't know how to react to this.

I assume there is someone who works for Tom Cruise and one of their duties is making sure everyone on some list gets a Christmas card, possibly they all have 5 bucks in them.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

GrandpaPants posted:

I think they're probably more comfortable taking a few more risks, although the lack of young actors may stem from the lack of young characters when they don't have the X-Men to pull into. Maybe they'll do a Runaways? But as for upcoming, Chadwick Boseman and Tom Holland are relatively new faces who are headlining movies, unless I'm missing some major work from either of them. I don't remember Hiddleston being a big name before Loki, either. On the director front, James Gunn and Taika Waititi have made a number of critically acclaimed indie flicks that nobody saw unless they're already a film buff.

Also, people forget that Robert Downey Jr., despite being a well-known '80s actor, was in Hollywood jail for much of the early 2000s because of his fall in mid-'90s. He had to get Mel Gibson to get him to get him insured again so he could get back into film. Iron Man was his first leading role in an over-$100-million film and it, more than Kiss Kiss Bang Bang or Zodiac elevated, if not restarted, his career. Before that, he was second fiddle for most of career, always a character actor, never a lead, and even the goodwill he had from Chaplin got blown with his drug arrests. As much as Chris Evans and Chris Hemsworth have spectacular careers thanks to the MCU, Downey Jr. owes his success to being in the Marvel movies. I think he's even said so.

And Paul Rudd might have been around forever, but I've shown people the Celery Man sketch from "Tim and Eric's Awesome Show Great Job!" prior to Ant Man and they had no idea who that was (or why it was funny). poo poo, I didn't know he was in Clueless until a few years ago.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Aside from Robert Downey Jr. none of the leads in Marvel films were a major name in Hollywood before being in a Marvel film, they do like to use named actors for supporting cast though, a lot.

Edit: and has been stated, RDJ was mostly known as a liability. Terrance Howard was the highest paid actor in Ironman

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Jun 14, 2017

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Skwirl posted:

Edit: and has been stated, RDJ was mostly known as a liability.

To the point that Marvel fought Favreau tooth and nail about casting him, because, as I recall, Iron Man was a make-or-break project for Marvel and they didn't want to risk a lead actor going native in the middle of shooting.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

xeria posted:

I wouldn't so much say that THAT'S what's really desperate about the concept, though they are definitely banking almost entirely on Tom Cruise selling this movie/that cinematic universe kick-off. The same can't really be said of Johnny Depp as the Invisible Man; he's certainly rolled out his share of poo poo movies and isn't necessarily a guaranteed box office draw unless it's a Pirates movie.

Oh yeah, basically the end of that movie is Tom Cruise becomes The Mummy but now he's an evil monster hunter which is the dumbest loving poo poo in the world I nearly died from groaning so hard. It's poo poo. Literal piss and poo poo. And they're really trying to force it to be A Thing with a completely straight face. Gaaahahahaa.

I think the only way you could have done that movie is a weird alternate timeline where all the Universal Monsters took over the world and carved it into little dominions and it stars a Woilfenstein reboot era BJ Blazkowicz-esque character running around starting revolutions and doing some really over the top bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Timby posted:

To the point that Marvel fought Favreau tooth and nail about casting him, because, as I recall, Iron Man was a make-or-break project for Marvel and they didn't want to risk a lead actor going native in the middle of shooting.

I'm not sure how true that can be since doesn't RDJ show up in a post credit scene in the Edward Norton Incredible Hulk?

• Locked thread