Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Are you talking about how much Picard loves his Holodeck?

Picard has an artificial heart. It comes up in like 2 episodes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

8one6 posted:

Picard has an artificial heart. It comes up in like 2 episodes.

Also Riker has an augmented cock, but they never mention it onscreen cause of the censors.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

This is great.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

hiddenriverninja posted:

You probably have to be in good episodes to get more money.

Are there even any good Kim episodes? Good Kim scenes?

Sad King Billy
Jan 27, 2006

Thats three of ours innit...to one of yours. You know mate I really think we ought to even up the average!

When he was infected by Species 8472 or being tormented by a clown.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

Sad King Billy posted:

When he was infected by Species 8472 or being tormented by a clown.

Hey, that's not a nice thing to say about Tom Paris.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

My favorite part of this will always be the outstretched hand

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
Why didn't they try the full power phasers again after the Borg repaired? It hosed them up the first time.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

My favorite part of this will always be the outstretched hand

It always reads to me like, "Ohno, you just like, totally, slipped out of my hand by accident, oh no, come back...okay, bye"

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up

Drink-Mix Man posted:

It always reads to me like, "Ohno, you just like, totally, slipped out of my hand by accident, oh no, come back...okay, bye"

Notice that the arm slowly moves back towards the camera like the person reaching for him was being held there by an elastic band.

Ohno, Harry, oh gosh, no don't die...

Holodeck anyone?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Rhyno posted:

The TNG crew makes mad money at cons, like insane amounts.

Are they above the Norman "can make more money on one con than an entire season of TWD" Reedus level?

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Watching generations right after finishing tng again. It never stood out to me before, but I'm super annoyed with how dark the ship is. I know they had to go to a lower light level for movie vs. TV, but it's like they went all the way to the other end. Data and geordi are practically hanging out by candlelight in his room.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Man, I thought the lighting in Generations was gorgeous.

CaveGrinch
Dec 5, 2003
I'm a mean one.
Sure made the sets look nicer than they were.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Wheat Loaf posted:

Are they above the Norman "can make more money on one con than an entire season of TWD" Reedus level?

Oh god no. But the TNG did a package deal thing where they made a bonus any time all 7 of them went to the same con. Michael Dorn talked about it at Chicago, he said he probably could survive on the summer con seas alone and never actually work again.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo

Grand Fromage posted:

This is great.
I remember non-Trek actor Phil LaMarr sharing a one cent paycheck from Disney on Facebook.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Rhyno posted:

Oh god no. But the TNG did a package deal thing where they made a bonus any time all 7 of them went to the same con. Michael Dorn talked about it at Chicago, he said he probably could survive on the summer con seas alone and never actually work again.

James Doohan said that he could have easily retired from the money he made doing conventions and college / university appearances in the 1970s. He kept doing the movies simply because he liked to work.

CaveGrinch posted:

Sure made the sets look nicer than they were.

They pretty much had to get creative with the lighting -- they only had a few weeks between wrapping All Good Things... and beginning filming the TNG parts of Generations (during that interval they shot the prologue stuff on the Enterprise-B), and so they didn't have much time to re-do the sets. Since the bridge was the one that would get the most attention, it had the most work done.

But, yeah, Alonzo's cinematography was gorgeous. The only parts that look a little ropey are the segments on Veridian III, but that was kind of unavoidable given just how goddamn bright and sunny and ungodly hot the Valley of Fire is.

Timby fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Jun 14, 2017

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Rhyno posted:

Sure, doesn't Dorn mainly spend his time flying his aeroplanes these days?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Planes and places to store them are expensive. Not everyone makes Patrick Stewart Strongbow money.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Dorn seems to be itching to be Worf again, judging by his "Captain Worf" show campaign.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars

Pakled posted:

Dorn seems to be itching to be Worf again, judging by his "Captain Worf" show campaign.

tbh I would totes watch Worf in the chair of a post-DS9 ST. Dorn is a really great actor.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Timby posted:

They pretty much had to get creative with the lighting -- they only had a few weeks between wrapping All Good Things... and beginning filming the TNG parts of Generations (during that interval they shot the prologue stuff on the Enterprise-B), and so they didn't have much time to re-do the sets. Since the bridge was the one that would get the most attention, it had the most work done.

But, yeah, Alonzo's cinematography was gorgeous. The only parts that look a little ropey are the segments on Veridian III, but that was kind of unavoidable given just how goddamn bright and sunny and ungodly hot the Valley of Fire is.

That's partly why I can't hate Generations. It looks amazing, the score is fantastic, and it does a better job of emulating TNG tones and themes than any of the films that came after. Picard rejecting his ideal family in the Nexus and choosing duty over hollow happiness (especially while grieving his actual family) is a much better character moment than anything we got in First Contact.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Jeb! Repetition posted:

"The technology required to achieve this biological and artificial interface is far beyond our capabilities"

Come on Data, it's the 23rd or 24th century. This brings up possibly the biggest flaw with Star Trek which is how much it's missing cyber.
I believe Star Trek largely predates the 'everything will be a networked perfection of AI assistants where Ray Kurzweil gets to meet his dad again' so it's hard to criticize them for that. One thing that does seem real clear is that the Federation at least attempts to make ethical policies and stick by them, which probably seems faintly alien and monstrous to a lot of people.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Nessus posted:

I believe Star Trek largely predates the 'everything will be a networked perfection of AI assistants where Ray Kurzweil gets to meet his dad again' so it's hard to criticize them for that. One thing that does seem real clear is that the Federation at least attempts to make ethical policies and stick by them, which probably seems faintly alien and monstrous to a lot of people.

There's no 'probably' about it, I can't count how many times people in these very threads have basically taken Bruce Maddox's side in arguing that Starfleet should have murdered and dissected Data.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Big Mean Jerk posted:

That's partly why I can't hate Generations. It looks amazing, the score is fantastic, and it does a better job of emulating TNG tones and themes than any of the films that came after. Picard rejecting his ideal family in the Nexus and choosing duty over hollow happiness (especially while grieving his actual family) is a much better character moment than anything we got in First Contact.

It's so true to TNG that, just like the TV series, the two-parter works fine in the first half and falls apart in the second half! :v:

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

It's so true to TNG that, just like the TV series, the two-parter works fine in the first half and falls apart in the second half! :v:

Hey, Chain of Command part 2 is the best part. :colbert:

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Pakled posted:

Hey, Chain of Command part 2 is the best part. :colbert:

Sure, and Redemption 2 is also okay... but all the other second parts.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up

The_Doctor posted:

Man, I thought the lighting in Generations was gorgeous.

Picard: "Computer."
*beepbeep*
Picard: "Mood lighting."
*beeep beep*

Riker: "Computer."
*beepbeep*
Riker: "Mood lighting."
Computer: "Unable to comply, mood lighting restrictions have been put in place for Commander Riker."
Riker: "Impossible..."
[dramatic sting, commercial break]

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

It's one of those movies where you can tell that if Moore and Braga weren't completely burned-out at that point, and if they had more time (considering they were writing the movie at the same time they were writing All Good Things...), they probably could have turned out something really, really great -- the whole knuckle-headed idea of leaving the Nexus and going to just before the missile launch, for example. feels like something they came up with at 3 a.m., bleary-eyed and yearning for the sweet embrace of death, and everyone was just too punch-drunk to realize how moronic it was until it was too late.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer
I think Lwaxana Troi (daughter of the Fifth House of Betazed, heir to the Holy Rings of Betazed, holder of the sacred Chalice of Rixx) may well be my favourite recurring TNG character: she shakes up the roster of characters just enough to loosen them up and undo a shirt button or two.

...like Q, only Q wouldn't get away with calling Worf 'Woof' :v:

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
The lighting in Generations was awful pretty, but I couldn't really wrap my head around why everyone in-universe suddenly wanted sunsets spilling through everywhere.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
It's not a sunset, it's just a sun.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

My thought is that you probably wouldn't want a full-blown sun coming through the window either.

They probably could have done it in such a way to not make the switch from lighting for TV production speed and cost to extravagant movie set lighting so jarring.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

dont even fink about it posted:

My thought is that you probably wouldn't want a full-blown sun coming through the window either.

They probably could have done it in such a way to not make the switch from lighting for TV production speed and cost to extravagant movie set lighting so jarring.

I'll take Alonzo's "gorgeous and artistic lighting" decision over whatever the hell Kline was doing on The Motion Picture. You have to work hard to make your actors look so ugly.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Timby posted:

I'll take Alonzo's "gorgeous and artistic lighting" decision over whatever the hell Kline was doing on The Motion Picture. You have to work hard to make your actors look so ugly.

I don't really disagree that some of the lighting in TOS is a bit much; and yet filthy casuals do not really balk at the lighting in the TOS movies. This is probably because the TOS lighting mostly stands the test of time and isn't something used to help project massive melodrama. Maybe the worst TOS lighting I can think of is in V (shocker) when they film Kirk and McCoy around that ship's wheel thing, and apparently forgot to turn the lights on.

Meanwhile, they decided to turn Patrick Stewart and Malcom McDowell orange.

It's just not a good movie. It's a very almost-there movie, which almost makes it worse.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Maybe the worst TOS lighting I can think of is in V (shocker)

You take that right the gently caress back, Andy Laszlo's work on The Final Frontier is unimpeachable. :colbert:

Edit: Anyway, to go back to The Motion Picture for a moment, holy hell was Kline's work awful. He made the insane decision of slavishly taking up Harold Michelson's idea of lighting from the floor, which is absolutely what you do not do when you're trying to make people look good. (Michelson trying to come up with a look for the movie is enough to poison it right there, considering it's rather difficult to read a clipboard when the light's coming from the floor, unless you're, I don't know, upside-down in your chair.)

The film cheats a little bit on this, so that a lot of light comes from the side as well as the floor, but it's still ridiculously unflattering, because Kline decided to use a soft light, which does nothing to sharpen or chisel anyone's features. The lighting is pretty cruel to an already aging cast, but in total contrast to the makeup, which is a total sop to aging actors ... and as a result, you've got this terribly soft light that's highlighting the age-defying makeup on these aging actors. It's a wrong choice on top of a wrong choice. I mean, for all the crazy seven-shadow lighting of Finnerman or Francis on TOS, there was still good contrast, and they got some really rich shadows, which is a far cry from the mushy half-video look that pervades much of The Motion Picture.

But, then again, that's far from the only production-related gaffe on the movie. Oh, my God, the way the consoles were built...

Timby fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Jun 14, 2017

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

You tried to destroy it once before, Commodore.
The result was a wrecked ship and a dead crew.
Fun Shoe

They had six months to make the movie and no budget to rebuild any of the TNG sets. The weird lighting and occasionally bizarro camera angles were to try and obscure the fact that they were shooting a movie in 2.35:1 on sets built for 4:3 and NTSC TV resolution.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

shadok posted:

They had six months to make the movie and no budget to rebuild any of the TNG sets.

Yep. Like I mentioned above, the only set they had any time and money to work on was the bridge (the rest of it went to Stellar Cartography, which became an expensive dinosaur because of Herman Zimmerman loving it up), and that was because they had a few weeks to re-do stuff on the bridge while Kirk was climbing chutes and ladders and Scotty and Chekov were being possessed by Spock and McCoy.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

ENT, S4E15/16: "Affliction/Divergence"

Enterprise, come here. Sit down. We need to talk about something. You keep doing this thing where you introduce potentially cool poo poo way too late in the series to do any good. Making Lt. Reed, certifiably The Boringest CharacterTM, a Section 31 deep cover operative seems less exciting this late in the game than it is... spiteful. It's like saying to us, "See how cool this could have been all along? Here's a taste before we gently caress off forever."

Also, if you're going to have Trip leave the ship for a big dramatic twist, at least have the willpower to keep him off the ship for more than half an episode. (Although the mid-warp spacewalk was cool as hell.)

ENT, S4E17: "Bound"

"Florida Man Fails to Get Laid on Ship Controlled by Sex Vixens"

But, really: so the twist is that the sex slaves are the masters, and the masters are the slaves? Are we to take that all of Orion society is structured this way? I'm having a really hard time with how hosed up and horrible this is. I can't tell if it's deliberately sexist, or just accidentally. This one felt like a really spot-on TOS homage, and not necessarily in a good way.

But the last dozen episodes all suffer from the same thing as the Section 31 problem above: it's a lot of good world-building, but just way too late to really bake into the series. In the last dozen episodes, Enterprise has fleshed out Vulcans, Romulans, Klingons, Andorians, Tellerites, The Orion Syndicate, and Section 31. While all of this has been good, it's also too little, too late. This series could have been great if this was season one. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Timby posted:

But, then again, that's far from the only production-related gaffe on the movie. Oh, my God, the way the consoles were built...

The walls are pretty bare, but what are your specific complaints on this one? I don't think I've seen you talk about the TMP consoles before.

Also, still better than the dogshit on Nemesis: