Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Mentalfloss posted:

Just a PSA that the brutality description leaves out the considerable downside of "Supported skills deal no elemental damage" which would mean no hatred, herald of ash or added fire gems etc

To me it looks like them trying to add enough supports for starforge builds so it doesn't suck so much.

Or a fun reason to wear gruthkul's pelt , since you wouldn't be running hatred/herald of ash anyways with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mince Pieface
Feb 1, 2006

Makes sense for a build trying to scale bleed since it only cares about phys damage

pokchu
Aug 22, 2007
D:
starforge sucks?

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?

pokchu posted:

starforge sucks?

It doesnt suck now, but the main way to use it is scaling bleed/poison right now. With the scaling going away from that, it might be bad.

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

funmanguy posted:

It doesnt suck now, but the main way to use it is scaling bleed/poison right now. With the scaling going away from that, it might be bad.

It doesn't suck but is definitely underwhelming considering how good it looks when you see the base DPS. It noticeably underperforms Disfavour with Lacerate/Warchief/Cyclone and also can't be used with Earthquake.

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Blight + Efficacy + Deadly Ailments + Unbound Ailments + Void Manipulation + Empower seems like a good setup if Blight counts as an ailment.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
It's a debuff, not an ailment.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

do we have an ailment tag now so we dont have to guess about that stuff

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Awesome! posted:

do we have an ailment tag now so we dont have to guess about that stuff

It's specifically ignite/shock/chill/freeze/bleed/poison/maim. Any other debuff does not count, including non-ignite burning (unless decay does but I'm like 90% certain it doesn't)

VVVV Evidently the criteria is a little confusing :v: but it's atleast a matter of memorizing either 6 or 7 specific things and then anything not in that group is not an ailment.

Count Uvula fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Jun 14, 2017

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Pretty sure Maim isn't going to become an ailment.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

That decay support is rad/totally busted. I assume this is true because I ain't playin' no 3.0 beta.

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice
Ignite and burning are two different things?

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Burning is fire DoT. When it comes from a hit, it is Ignite, and has a duration (critical hit involving fire damage or passing a chance to ignite roll). When it doesn't, it involves being in an area and is removed once you leave that area (Righteous Fire, Searing Bond, Fire Trap's ground effect, etc.).

pokchu
Aug 22, 2007
D:

Ultima66 posted:

It doesn't suck but is definitely underwhelming considering how good it looks when you see the base DPS. It noticeably underperforms Disfavour with Lacerate/Warchief/Cyclone and also can't be used with Earthquake.

i'm still slightly confused about it being underwhelming considering it stomps the poo poo out of all content effortlessly

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Official announcement on the support gems

Chance to Bleed's flat phys is weapons only, so RIP mandatory Facebreaker gem

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
You can still use it with Pillar (which also lets you use it with Earthquake).

Or Doomfletch, though that doesn't really help with phys scaling.

Mince Pieface
Feb 1, 2006

Sad times

Eezee
Apr 3, 2011

My double chin turned out to be a huge cyst
Did they announce when they were going to add Act 8 yet?

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Duck and Cover posted:

That decay support is rad/totally busted. I assume this is true because I ain't playin' no 3.0 beta.

I haven't tried it, but it certainly looks that way. An essence drain at the same level req does like half that damage.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

definitely trying an ED character once these go live, i was wondering how ED would shake out once the nerfs happened.

Efficacy/Decay supports should be wild

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
I'm also not sure why we need an ignite specific prolif gem when they could just buff ele prolif back to being usable?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

MMF Freeway posted:

I haven't tried it, but it certainly looks that way. An essence drain at the same level req does like half that damage.

Essence Drain scales off spell damage. Decay doesn't and they were talking about making it so it doesn't even when used with ED or Vortex. The big thing is that a level 20 gem is more than twice as strong as the decay on delirium weapons.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Jun 14, 2017

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
After an unfortunate setback in the form of death in A1C to a Tormented Spirit-ed boss, I'm finally almost to Merc in HC race now. Hopefully Malachai will be nice.

I was wondering if there's any kind of rule of thumb or the like regarding when to pick up Iron Reflexes though. I passed over it when I first went over towards it (for leech nodes and the big 1H/Shield cluster) because it was still in Normal so I was getting >40% Evade from a paltry amount of rating at the time and the extra armor didn't really seem as useful. Now I'm just kinda awkwardly eyeing it every level-up before picking something else instead.

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?

MMF Freeway posted:

I'm also not sure why we need an ignite specific prolif gem when they could just buff ele prolif back to being usable?

I'm not in the beta, so I can't confirm, but the data mined ele prolif looks like this

The differences I can see if this has a flat radius of 10 units while ignite prolif scales from 14 to 16, 120% multiplier for EE but 130 for ignite, quality giving increased fire damage instead of ailment duration, and a flat 20% chance to shock/ignite/chill.

Seems like they are different enough to have different uses and not have one be better than the other in every circumstance.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Beta changes coming this week and what to expect next week (a wipe, for one thing) and week after.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Huh, apparently GGG can only run 3 race leagues in parallel, so the 2W Mayhem races at the end of the season won't have Standard SSF.

Source

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

whypick1 posted:

Huh, apparently GGG can only run 3 race leagues in parallel

man I was wondering what the problem with private leagues/races was, but not this

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Gotta say this 1week race economy is simultaneously fun and annoying. Fun because lower playerbase + HC means absolute poo poo items are selling which is refreshing after all my time playing regular SC leagues and there being no point with filters that aren't ultra-strict. Annoying because sometimes the scarcity is actively detrimental. I had poe.trade on auto-update all day yesterday and also searched multiple times today and two days ago, not a single Lioneye's Remorse has been online. Every time I've checked SC out of curiosity there's been none there either. Did it become a T1 item while I wasn't looking or something? Even BoR and Soul Takers have several up even if I can't afford them yet.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Insurrectionist posted:

Gotta say this 1week race economy is simultaneously fun and annoying. Fun because lower playerbase + HC means absolute poo poo items are selling which is refreshing after all my time playing regular SC leagues and there being no point with filters that aren't ultra-strict. Annoying because sometimes the scarcity is actively detrimental. I had poe.trade on auto-update all day yesterday and also searched multiple times today and two days ago, not a single Lioneye's Remorse has been online. Every time I've checked SC out of curiosity there's been none there either. Did it become a T1 item while I wasn't looking or something? Even BoR and Soul Takers have several up even if I can't afford them yet.

I think it's in the same rarity tier as Soul Taker, but only drops in maps while Soul Taker can be found for pretty much all of Merciless :shrug: It's always been a decently rare item, it's just the supply eclipses the demand because ~pure armor shield~.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
yeah lioneyes are deceptively good, as in the dps is very high and can carry very long into maps (and since noone will be farming shaper or uber you don't have to hold out for higher dps bows)

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Goa Tse-tung posted:

yeah lioneyes are deceptively good, as in the dps is very high and can carry very long into maps (and since noone will be farming shaper or uber you don't have to hold out for higher dps bows)

They're talking about the big fat armor shield with 180 life and 1500 armor

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

dis astranagant posted:

They're talking about the big fat armor shield with 180 life and 1500 armor

lmao ok that's funny

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Well, I got to 30 in hardcore for the first time ever (in the week league thingie). Pretty easy, as long as I play something that has trouble dying, went duelist cleave added fire etc, self found weapons that had enough damage to kill everything.

I suspect I'd not enjoy playing higher level content though. Anything of note I should try to do before the race ends, or is getting to 30 enough to qualify me for the drawing whatever?

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~

silvergoose posted:

Well, I got to 30 in hardcore for the first time ever (in the week league thingie). Pretty easy, as long as I play something that has trouble dying, went duelist cleave added fire etc, self found weapons that had enough damage to kill everything.

I suspect I'd not enjoy playing higher level content though. Anything of note I should try to do before the race ends, or is getting to 30 enough to qualify me for the drawing whatever?

Level 30 puts you in the raffle for beta keys and footprints cosmetics. Getting to 50 and 85 just puts you in for more cosmetic stuff.

The higher level content is where most of the fun and challenge is! I would recommend getting to maps and endgame bosses on a softcore league first though, the learning curve never really ends with this game and going through it on hardcore the first time can be pretty discouraging.

I played the 1-week on softcore, doing MoM Hierophant Scorching Ray totems. I'm level 80 and still zero deaths, I guess I should have played hardcore.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

I finally got to the Cruel difficulty on my lvl 45 Duelist, which I mostly use Cyclone to slaughter mobs around, and Vaal Double Strike to hando big monsters/random bosses.

How are you supposed to deal with Elemental Resistances? It finally happened that I died to a Breach boss repeatedly that constantly froze my rear end and spammed an ice attack, before grabbed a few rings with Cold resistance.

I know that I'm supposed to cap all resistances to 75% besides Chaos, but do I do it exclusively with items or do divert my path in the passive skill to get a few Keystones that help my defenses?

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Ideally items, with maybe a passive or two if it happens to be a good one (like the Nullification node in the Shadow area, or a really good jewel). It will most likely come from your ring slots.

And just to nitpick: Keystones are the build-altering passive nodes that are physically the biggest on the tree, like Chaos Inoculation or Iron Reflexes; none of those deal with your resistances. Notables are the next biggest ones and typically have 2-3 mods on them. Then it's just regular old passive nodes.

whypick1 fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Jun 15, 2017

and the claw won!
Jul 10, 2008
Also the masters you do missions for can craft resists on your gear, and the lowest tier or two is cheap enough that it's worth doing so on disposable leveling rares.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Mentat Radnor posted:

Level 30 puts you in the raffle for beta keys and footprints cosmetics. Getting to 50 and 85 just puts you in for more cosmetic stuff.

The higher level content is where most of the fun and challenge is! I would recommend getting to maps and endgame bosses on a softcore league first though, the learning curve never really ends with this game and going through it on hardcore the first time can be pretty discouraging.

I played the 1-week on softcore, doing MoM Hierophant Scorching Ray totems. I'm level 80 and still zero deaths, I guess I should have played hardcore.

What? Oh, sorry, I've played a bunch, I mean this is the first hc character I've ever done, I have an 84 WI elementalist and a 70 something RF chieftain.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Is the mystery box for reaching level 10 during a race something you get per-race or just a one and done thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~

silvergoose posted:

What? Oh, sorry, I've played a bunch, I mean this is the first hc character I've ever done, I have an 84 WI elementalist and a 70 something RF chieftain.

Oh my bad, made a dumb assumption.

• Locked thread