Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

Robindaybird posted:

Don't bother responding to Bravestofthelamps, they're a fly-by troll that loves to poo poo up threads.

clevinofthelamps is my friend he saved me from 'nam when I was a wee baby

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
I hope cops will learn from that scene where the heroes torture someone for information.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
To be fair, if I were a cop I would probably watch movies primarily as an escape from reality, because my whole job would be dealing with reality every single day. Why would I want or expect a movie to teach me how the world works?

Not saying all cops are like that, or that it's the right way to watch movies. But generally, if I were trying to teach hard life lessons to a cop, a movie would probably be the worst way to do it. The most I could hope for is that it would plant a seed of an idea, Inception-style.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
I think the point is that the message in Zootopia is so loving obvious that if you missed it you must have been watching it in a completely superficial way to begin with, which isn't surprising seeing how most people approach film let alone animated films

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
The animated short before Coco will be.......

Olaf's Frozen Adventure :geno:

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Hedrigall posted:

Whatever this looks like it'll be cute.

Elsa's still got dat fashion :discourse:

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Looking forward to Anna and Elsa's Kwaanza Co-opt.

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool
Frozen: A Chanukkah Miracle

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010

Hedrigall posted:

Does this mean they don't have confidence in Coco? Or is it just a way of making dumb money off Coco? Only time will tell.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Frozen: always winter but never Christmas

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Come to think of it, is this the first time there's been a Disney feature paired with a Pixar one?

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

dirksteadfast posted:

Does this mean they don't have confidence in Coco? Or is it just a way of making dumb money off Coco? Only time will tell.

Considering the current political chaos in the US, and Frozen being an instant money maker, probably both. Coco is gonna be a massive hit in my country, that's for sure.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Oh god, this is going to be like Secret Life of Pets, where they had a minion short before the film.

My fiancé just really likes cats and dogs.

CRINDY
Sep 23, 2010

forget about ur worries and ur strife
It's a smart move. No matter what, Coco is going to get some Fox News or Breitbart controversy. And considering I've seen every Pixar movie in theaters except for the Cars franchise, and I'm lukewarm about Coco, they've probably got reason to be concerned.

It's also a little weird that a Pixar flick is getting a DAS short.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

CRINDY posted:

It's a smart move. No matter what, Coco is going to get some Fox News or Breitbart controversy. And considering I've seen every Pixar movie in theaters except for the Cars franchise, and I'm lukewarm about Coco, they've probably got reason to be concerned.

It's also a little weird that a Pixar flick is getting a DAS short.

Well that's cause Pixar's own animated short of going before Cars 3

CRINDY
Sep 23, 2010

Macaluso posted:

Well that's cause Pixar's own animated short of going before Cars 3

It's weird though because there's precedent for Pixar having two films and two shorts in one year, Inside Out and Good Dinosaur had Lava and Sanjay's Super Team respectively.

But it looks like Lava was completed in mid-2014 and presumably would have run with OG Good Dinosaur before it was delayed, so that probably explains that.

edit: wait what the gently caress this Olaf Frozen thing is TWENTY ONE MINUTES LONG?? Either Coco is like 80 minutes or it's going to be an exhausting experience. I wonder if people will leave the theater after the short now.

CRINDY fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Jun 13, 2017

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Movies regularly have 2 hour runtimes. Like, how is that exhausting? it's not like there's any intellectually challenging aspect of either short or movie.
Even if total everything runs 2hrs 15min, it's hardly labor intensive.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

CRINDY posted:

I wonder if people will leave the theater after the short now.

What. No

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

YOU CAN'T MOVE WITH ME IN THIS DIGITAL SPACE
No Hedrigall but were they trying to make that Bigfoot super hot

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

CRINDY posted:

I wonder if people will leave the theater after the short now.

I'm going to take my sweet time getting to my seat, honestly.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Yeah, I expect I'm in the minority compared to most of the movie's target audience but being forced to watch 21 minutes of Olaf has me significantly less interested in seeing Coco in the cinema to be honest.

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

Fangz posted:

That's the kind of dodgy logic that leads to people saying they don't need sensitivity training because surely they aren't racist.

To be fair, some of the recent headlines regarding controversial police actions involved things that were very obviously deliberate abuses of authority (if not the incident itself, then the way the department' handled it). Can people who are actively bigoted (or otherwise power-hungry shitbags) be reliably rehabilitated via sensitivity training as we know it?

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Haledjian posted:

No Hedrigall but were they trying to make that Bigfoot super hot

what

Is "No Hedrigall" like a "No homo" style phrase now

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
No Hedirgall, but I would actively be more interested if the characters in Coco were other species, like pigs or goats or mustelids.

CRINDY
Sep 23, 2010

I've already seen posts on some websites' social media where people say they're doing just that.

Theaters already rent out screens for special events, I wonder if Disney would ever do a stunt where they rent out a hall for a few hours and charge $5 to watch a 20-30 minute short like this

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Cockmaster posted:

To be fair, some of the recent headlines regarding controversial police actions involved things that were very obviously deliberate abuses of authority (if not the incident itself, then the way the department' handled it). Can people who are actively bigoted (or otherwise power-hungry shitbags) be reliably rehabilitated via sensitivity training as we know it?

It might make a difference with the larger number of officers who might not do anything terrible themselves but would defend without question 'fellow officers' who do.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Fangz posted:

It might make a difference with the larger number of officers who might not do anything terrible themselves but would defend without question 'fellow officers' who do.

Honestly this is the biggest issue - the blue wall of silence is a very real thing, any cop trying to report corruption or bad behavior gets froze out (or in Serpico's case, his fellow officers lured him into a position where he would be shot and then left to bleed out)

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Cockmaster posted:

Well, no, but that's precisely the cognitive dissonance that Zootopia is designed to rationalize. Its frame narrative is literally a character giving an anti-bias speech, while at the same time making sure to never say anything specific so that nobody in particular has to feel bad or even look like a slight ignoramus.

In both the film, and now its educational exhibition, the preoccupation is with bias/sensitivity, because actually debating the role of policing is moot. You can't even say that Zootopia is teaching these dicks to think of the citizens before the 'fellow officer.' The villain of Zootopia is not a cop. Bunny Cop doesn't have to roll over on anybody, because abuse is never actually depicted, except as bullying by children. Violence against the "innocent" (not the oppressed, but the innocent) is the result of a political conspiracy, and the problem is that bias/lack of sensitivity gets in the way of fighting 'the real bad guys.'

CRINDY
Sep 23, 2010

In the course of solving the Night Howler Caper, Judy Hopps commits several crimes in the investigative process. She blackmails someone into assisting her and becomes intertwined into a mafia family, becoming the goddaughter of a mob boss's granddaughter. No one ever mentions it, she gets away with it, and the film rewards her for doing it. She also pulls strings to get a career criminal a job at the police station.

This might not be the best movie to show cops, on second thought.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
Cops have no problem with breaking the law.

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

"CRINDY" posted:

edit: wait what the gently caress this Olaf Frozen thing is TWENTY ONE MINUTES LONG??

ahaha gently caress that ill wait for Coco to hit redbox/netflix what in the hell

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Koramei posted:

Yeah, I expect I'm in the minority compared to most of the movie's target audience but being forced to watch 21 minutes of Olaf has me significantly less interested in seeing Coco in the cinema to be honest.

:(:hf::(

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

That trailer was awful, and everyone in the comments was crowing about how Elsa got a new dress or wahtever. :rolleye:

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
Olaf was the best part of Frozen

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Wrong, the reindeer was.

I really like the sassy non-talking animal sidekicks in recent Disney films :3:

ThePlague-Daemon
Apr 16, 2008

~Neck Angels~

K. Waste posted:

In both the film, and now its educational exhibition, the preoccupation is with bias/sensitivity, because actually debating the role of policing is moot. You can't even say that Zootopia is teaching these dicks to think of the citizens before the 'fellow officer.' The villain of Zootopia is not a cop. Bunny Cop doesn't have to roll over on anybody, because abuse is never actually depicted, except as bullying by children.

I wonder if the police were portrayed more negatively in the original version? Concept art has Nick as the protagonist being chased by the police through Little Rodentia instead of the weasel and Chief Bogo being a dick:

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

ThePlague-Daemon posted:

I wonder if the police were portrayed more negatively in the original version? Concept art has Nick as the protagonist being chased by the police through Little Rodentia instead of the weasel and Chief Bogo being a dick:

The police were explicitly totalitarian in the original. Even Judy. Iirc there's concept art floating around of Judy in what looked like a prison menacingly bouncing a nightstick off her hand.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Wait, this Olaf thing is 21 minutes long?

RIP Coco I'm not sitting through that just for songs I can listen to without watching the movie.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

ThePlague-Daemon posted:

Clawhauser back in his twink days

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Elsa's new dress in the Olaf short :allears: