Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Brother Entropy posted:

there's no reason they they can't do both, especially since seeing numbers fly up without a health bar doesn't tell you jack about how healthy the monster is

Yeah true. For the record, I'm gonna buy this game, but I can't shake the feeling that this could end up like DmC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Zelder posted:

Slow down on the straw man, my friend. Maybe I'm a weirdo but I like the idea of monster damage being represented by a monster slowing down/breathing heavily/losing limbs etc. It's not vital to my enjoyment of the series but I always enjoyed the lack of floating numbers

Part breakage has always been a thing and exhaustion has been a thing for years now. Just because numbers now show up doesn't automatically mean everything else will go away, it's not an all-or-nothing deal.

I like the lack of numbers too and hope there will be a way to turn them off to unclutter things but goddamn, every new change in every new game is the herald of the goddamn end for the MH community.

Zmej
Nov 6, 2005

My brain was upset about no MHXX for western release on the 3DS, but my fingers let out a massive sigh of relief.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Zelder posted:

Slow down on the straw man, my friend. Maybe I'm a weirdo but I like the idea of monster damage being represented by a monster slowing down/breathing heavily/losing limbs etc. It's not vital to my enjoyment of the series but I always enjoyed the lack of floating numbers

Unless you're adding up all your own damage totals he says it won't show the monster's health bar so you will still need to use those cues

The problem is in knowing what attacks and junk you should be using without needing to do math homework

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Bussamove posted:

Part breakage has always been a thing and exhaustion has been a thing for years now. Just because numbers now show up doesn't automatically mean everything else will go away, it's not an all-or-nothing deal.

I like the lack of numbers too and hope there will be a way to turn them off to unclutter things but goddamn, every new change in every new game is the herald of the goddamn end for the MH community.

I said it wasn't vital to my enjoyment of the series in the post you quoted

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

Zmej posted:

My brain was upset about no MHXX for western release on the 3DS, but my fingers let out a massive sigh of relief.

How do your fingers feel about 2 thumbsticks and high resolution, on the Switch? Because that's a thing that's happening.

Not for us, but it's happening.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
If they give us an analog camera though I'm out

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I think people are just nervous given Capcom's history, dude. These things aren't inherently bad but they could also easily go the other way. No one here is being absolutist, save for a few instances.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Cicadas! posted:

But in all seriousness this development kind of blows. I'm like 5 quests away from completing Gen and now there's no point.
Well, you could just play the game for the enjoyment of playing it, itself? Or I guess you meant there's no point afterwards, not no point to complete those quests.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

I'll be an absolutist and say that I will buy monster Hunter world. I've been burned by capcom before and am apparently willing to be burned again

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Zelder posted:

Yeah true. For the record, I'm gonna buy this game, but I can't shake the feeling that this could end up like DmC.

don't get me wrong i think some skepticism is warranted, especially when monhun is basically the one big capcom franchise left that they've yet to gently caress up by misunderstanding their fanbase's wants

but they've shown so little to actually judge on one way or another so far

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Jumping will ruin Monster Hunter, I tell you hwhat.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

Brother Entropy posted:

don't get me wrong i think some skepticism is warranted, especially when monhun is basically the one big capcom franchise left that they've yet to gently caress up by misunderstanding their fanbase's wants

How'd they gently caress up Phoenix Wright? And they were able to fix Resident Evil.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

just please include grank in the initial release ffs

if this really is focused on a western release realize that people will get real mad if the difficulty tops out at "a decent challenge"

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014
i still believe in switch xx getting localised. it's not even out in japan, of course they wouldn't be announcing it for the west yet.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

TFRazorsaw posted:

I think people are just nervous given Capcom's history, dude. These things aren't inherently bad but they could also easily go the other way. No one here is being absolutist, save for a few instances.

I was actually really optimistic on it back when MHXX Switch was I thing I expected since at least if their attempt at something new flopped I'd still have it to play on Switch.

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

Vib Rib posted:

Well, you could just play the game for the enjoyment of playing it, itself? Or I guess you meant there's no point afterwards, not no point to complete those quests.

The former, yes. The announcement of MHXX on the switch was what made me pick it back up to power through.

SILLY ME

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Kay Kessler posted:

How'd they gently caress up Phoenix Wright? And they were able to fix Resident Evil.

i like phoenix wright but i dunno if i'd call it a 'big' franchise

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Inflammatory posted:

i still believe in switch xx getting localised. it's not even out in japan, of course they wouldn't be announcing it for the west yet.

Same

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

It just hit me that there is no way there will be local coop gently caress

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Brother Entropy posted:

but they've shown so little to actually judge on one way or another so far
And why haven't they showed us more? Think about it! :tinfoil:

For me I think this is the biggest, reddest flag:

"for western audiences" is like codeword for "gently caress this poo poo up"

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Your Computer posted:

But in the short interview they did they said they understand the gameplay is what people play MH for so they're not going to change it.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Brother Entropy posted:

i like phoenix wright but i dunno if i'd call it a 'big' franchise

It's gotten a movie and its anime was one of the biggest shows of the season last year.

In America though? Yeah maybe.

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

For all the poo poo it gets, I legitimately enjoyed DmC. It wasn't a DMC game, but it was really stupid in an endearing kind of way.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Your Computer posted:

because it's probably early in development and/or one of a billion pr strategies that has nothing to do with the actual quality of the game and involves slowly dripping out content to the public

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?

Inflammatory posted:

That's a fair point, sure. If nothing else I have more faith in them bringing that out here eventually than World being good, considering:

Your Computer posted:

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Your Computer posted:

I read that as "as far as releases in the west are concerned, we're focused on World" not "World is going to be developed with western audiences in mind". They're talking about what their plans are for releases/localization, not how the game itself is being made.

I might be reading it wrong though it's been known to happen. :v:

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Argas posted:

But in the short interview they did they said they understand the gameplay is what people play MH for so they're not going to change it.

The way he worded it and the emphasis on "action" still keeps me skeptic until we see some actual gameplay footage. It looks like a generic next-gen action adventure game and if it's targeted at a western audience and plays like a generic next-gen action adventure then it's :rip:

THE END IS NIGH :byodood:

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Brother Entropy posted:

because it's probably early in development and/or one of a billion pr strategies that has nothing to do with the actual quality of the game and involves slowly dripping out content to the public

Well the last thing I would ever accuse Capcom of is good PR strategies.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Cicadas! posted:

For all the poo poo it gets, I legitimately enjoyed DmC. It wasn't a DMC game, but it was really stupid in an endearing kind of way.

I will sniper scope your demon baby out of your womb fight you

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Zerilan posted:

Well the last thing I would ever accuse Capcom of is good PR strategies.

given how monhun fans are reacting to a new monhun with 'god why the sky is falling' i can't exactly disagree with you that they could've done a better job telling us what's up with mhw

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Your Computer posted:

The way he worded it and the emphasis on "action" still keeps me skeptic until we see some actual gameplay footage. It looks like a generic next-gen action adventure game and if it's targeted at a western audience and plays like a generic next-gen action adventure then it's :rip:

THE END IS NIGH :byodood:

They could've made a better gameplay reveal. Instead we got a gameplay trailer that showed more diverse elements than MH4's climbathon.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

I will say the lack of hitflashes in the trailer bugs me. Like goddamn son half the reason I play GS is for level 3 charge hit animations.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Brother Entropy posted:

given how monhun fans are reacting to a new monhun with 'god why the sky is falling' i can't exactly disagree with you that they could've done a better job telling us what's up with mhw

I'm almost not sure I've seen literally any ads or marketing for RE7 that wasn't word of mouth.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

TF2 HAT MINING RIG posted:

It just hit me that there is no way there will be local coop gently caress

Lol holy poo poo

Also why exactly do they need to make Monster Hunter for "western audiences"? Didn't 4U sell like hotcakes over here, with Generations not doing too badly itself? Why would they choose to alienate all the fans in Japan that enjoy the series because they can play it on the train/bus/whatever by making the next mainline game this?

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012
I wonder if they are making Worlds as an excuse to update their models

Refried Hero
Jan 22, 2006

King of the grill

Wrist Watch posted:

Lol holy poo poo

Also why exactly do they need to make Monster Hunter for "western audiences"? Didn't 4U sell like hotcakes over here, with Generations not doing too badly itself? Why would they choose to alienate all the fans in Japan that enjoy the series because they can play it on the train/bus/whatever by making the next mainline game this?

There's a decent chance that the games selling well enough outside Japan has led Capcom to the belief that they could rely on non-portable sales. Basically it's our fault that they are doing it this way.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Wrist Watch posted:

Lol holy poo poo

reception in japan has been pretty positive

also they're releasing/have released xx there so hey

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Wrist Watch posted:

Lol holy poo poo

4U was pretty well promoted with the New 3ds launch and had that limited edition N3DS and I ended up having to download it because I literally could not find a physical copy within an hour of where I lived. I'm not sure Gen got any real marketing beyond being announced a couple weeks before release and was still the fastest selling game that month.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Bussamove posted:

I read that as "as far as releases in the west are concerned, we're focused on World" not "World is going to be developed with western audiences in mind". They're talking about what their plans are for releases/localization, not how the game itself is being made.

I might be reading it wrong though it's been known to happen. :v:

they were super clearly talking about 'for this release' yea, they were asked if this was a mainline game or just a side thing and he answered "Hell yea it's mainline we are focusing on this coming out as our big western release like we would with anything else!"

Like, can anyone actually point out what seems to be dumbed down for the filthy baka gaijin crowd because so far the entire argument seems to be A) the fireflies that are clearly an item are basically handholding, and B) this game is too pretty looking clearly it's DmC all over again.

• Locked thread