Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

Anticheese posted:

Does anyone else think the mechanic looks an awful lot like Penn Gillette?

A bit, also shades of President Armstrong-

'The 'Mechs, Jack!'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth
The guy interviewing them was... a bit much. Really chewing the scenery.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

DiHK posted:

It kind of felt like 'You have 5 minutes to get through this segment, you need to cover these points, you need to keep these guys moving or they will miss their slot. GO!'

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

DiHK posted:

Phrosphor posted:

It kind of felt like 'You have 5 minutes to get through this segment, you need to cover these points, you need to keep these guys moving or they will miss their slot. GO!'

That's just what Day[9] is like. Guy is comically high energy.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Skippy McPants posted:

That's just what Day[9] is like. Guy is comically high energy.

Wait that was Day9??? Am I thinking of the wrong video? I must be, I thought he was a lot um.. bigger.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

If we're talking about this video from the previous page, then yeah, that is 100% Sean Plott.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

He's dropped a decent amount of weight recently. It just happens naturally when you start playing Dota.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

sup

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

nice av, nerd

Remmon
Dec 9, 2011

Cyrano4747 posted:

You'll never cram all that poo poo on without endo, ferro , dhs, etc.

Actually. I pulled out Megameklab to check on that. You can take a level 1 Griffin (I started with the -1n), remove the weapons and straight up add 4x SRM 6 + 2 tons of ammo (30 shots, perhaps a little light) without any other modifications.
This gives you a mech that produces 16 heat firing its weapons, 5 jumping and sinks 12 heat, so is perhaps less desirable.

But if you use SRM-4s instead of -6s, you have 50 shots, for 12.5 shots per weapon, generate 12 heat firing and 5 jumping with 12 heat sinks and you have 4 tons to spare, to max out the armour and maybe add another ton of ammo and a spare heat sink.

So while Endo/FF is required to make a 5/8/5 Griffin with good armour and 4x SRM-6, you can do the SRM-4 version with just Intro level tech.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
Probably still won't be possible because of hardpoints.

Gay Hitler
Dec 11, 2006

I'm gay as heil!

This game is great. Scratches the itch that megamek never could.

Would do basically anything to hook this up with MekHQ and smash the inner sphere one planet at a time

dogsupremacy
Dec 3, 2012
The animations are super slow feels like after a couple battles the game would drag rear end

Gay Hitler posted:

This game is great. Scratches the itch that megamek never could.

Would do basically anything to hook this up with MekHQ and smash the inner sphere one planet at a time

Ya the persistent MP campaigns are going to be great in this game can't wait

School Nickname
Apr 23, 2010

*fffffff-fffaaaaaaarrrtt*
:ussr:
I've altered the Medium Support lance to include a hunchback with the evasive ability and a panther sensor bitch, downgrading the catapult to a trebuchet. I really like it, but even though I'm minimising armor loss on my mechs I'm losing a good bit of structure due to heat issues. For the BT pros here, what's the normal amount of structure (% of total) that you guys lose in your mechs on average after a skirmish?

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

dogsupremacy posted:

The animations are super slow feels like after a couple battles the game would drag rear end

Ya the persistent MP campaigns are going to be great in this game can't wait

Is someone planning on plugging this into one of the megamek campaign servers? That would be amazing.

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Survived AGDQ 2018 Awful Games block!
Grimey Drawer
Someone remind me, did they say that in the actual game, that pilots will be all random gen from a series of backgrounds etc, or is every single one hand made?

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Innerguard posted:

Someone remind me, did they say that in the actual game, that pilots will be all random gen from a series of backgrounds etc, or is every single one hand made?

Isildur posted earlier in the thread when I asked that there are a bunch of backgrounds and stuff that the pilots will be generate dfrom combinations of. So random gen, though from a series of tables of some sort. Random enough for me!

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Survived AGDQ 2018 Awful Games block!
Grimey Drawer
Great. What about the Argo - was that the actual dropship as well? I'm sure it was mentioned but I can't find the info for the life of me.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

No, the Argo isn't atmospheric cabable. It comes with two Leopard dropships that shuttle things planetside.

Honestly, I'm surprised they didn't just make the Argo a jumpship. Then again, maybe that is getting a bit too Mary Sue Merc Company.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

No, the Argo isn't atmospheric cabable. It comes with two Leopard dropships that shuttle things planetside.

Honestly, I'm surprised they didn't just make the Argo a jumpship. Then again, maybe that is getting a bit too Mary Sue Merc Company.

I'm pretty sure it is. IIRC it's a old com star deep space colony support ship that they only made the one of before everything fell to poo poo and then it just kind of got abandoned out there.

It's peak Mary Sue Merc Company, but that's fine because really that's what all these games are.

Semi-realistic tales of one dude being a mechwarrior (edit: maybe with his lance-sized unit that, yes, is somehow the best mechwarriors ever . . . gently caress it, this whole franchise is Mary Sues) is what the MW franchise is for. Well, at least it was before :pgi:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Jump ships typically don't go anywhere near planets though, because they're usually busy spending days recharging their jump drives via extremely fragile solar sails.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Jump ships typically don't go anywhere near planets though, because they're usually busy spending days recharging their jump drives via extremely fragile solar sails.

Depends on the jump ship. Warships were also jump capable but didn't just chill at the jump points. It's a matter of priority. Jump ships have zero reason to venture further in, so they don't. Obviously your average warhship isn't going to hang out with its sail deployed in a combat zone.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

The whole point of the jump ship was that jump drives were really loving expensive and there was no need to make every freighter jump capable. More important ships, where jump capacity was worth paying for in addition to whatever they were doing, were another story.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Innerguard posted:

Great. What about the Argo - was that the actual dropship as well? I'm sure it was mentioned but I can't find the info for the life of me.

Cough Cough There is an entry in the files for the dropship, which as mentioned already is a leopard, and an Upgraded Dropship which is the Argo. Cough

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Looks like I misremembered it being jump capable. It's basically a semi-mobile space station that can catch a lift on a jumpship.

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Argo_(DropShip_class)

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
Argo is a dropship, yes. If it were a jumpship there would be no possible way you wouldn't get murdered by ROM (and everyone else) ... it being a half-broken weirdo dropship that doesn't do what the IS needs dropships to do at least is a plausible angle, though standard BT rules ("don't think about it too hard") always apply

but then, they apply to everything :v:

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Worth pointing out that the Argo makes a lot of Grogs angry for some reason.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Psion posted:

Argo is a dropship, yes. If it were a jumpship there would be no possible way you wouldn't get murdered by ROM (and everyone else)

Eh, there are other Protagonist Armor Mary Sue Merc Units out there with jump ships. The Gray Death Legion gets one right when they formed up, at which point their actual mech strenght was something like 4 lights and a medium.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Phrosphor posted:

Worth pointing out that the Argo makes a lot of Grogs angry for some reason.

I've been re-reading the old BT novels (they're cheap on Amazon as e-books and make good enough airplane/beach fodder) and lol getting pissed at anything in the fiction surrounding this universe. It's wall to wall special snowflake units who get super awesome lostech and beat up all their enemies while never getting hurt except when they can have a bad rear end noble death while still winning in the end.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Cyrano4747 posted:

I've been re-reading the old BT novels (they're cheap on Amazon as e-books and make good enough airplane/beach fodder) and lol getting pissed at anything in the fiction surrounding this universe. It's wall to wall special snowflake units who get super awesome lostech and beat up all their enemies while never getting hurt except when they can have a bad rear end noble death while still winning in the end.

There is a post on the official forums right now calling for the removal of the special pilot abilities in this game because only 'Lore Characters' should get special abilities.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Cyrano4747 posted:

There seems to be some kind of odd blindspot where even if it is only half as effective (or less) as what some named character has? If a player has it, it's automatically OP Mary Sue Bullshit to be nitpicked to death with the full might of encyclopedic lore knowledge being selectively applied.

Which goes for any setting, really.

EDIT:

Phrosphor posted:

There is a post on the official forums right now calling for the removal of the special pilot abilities in this game because only 'Lore Characters' should get special abilities.

Ugh I keep trying to convince myself my brain is exaggerating about that sort of thing, and then nope this poo poo actually happens and I was just lying to myself in an attempt to feel less cynical.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Jun 14, 2017

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

Phrosphor posted:

Please link this.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

quote:

The problem with them is how severely they mitigate damage, in some cases negating it entirely. When you think about it, it's almost like they all have the 'Mech Ghosting ability of Morgan Kell. In TT (*groan* I know), pilots have no skills even remotely close to this.

https://community.battletechgame.com/forums/threads/8358

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Section Z posted:

Ugh I keep trying to convince myself my brain is exaggerating about that sort of thing, and then nope this poo poo actually happens and I was just lying to myself in an attempt to feel less cynical.

Battletech 'fans' are constantly demonstrating themselves to be such an insane and bizarre obsessive group of people.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

This is your daily reminder not to read the Official Forums. When you stare into the abyss, the abyss stares into you.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Phrosphor posted:

Holy poo poo :laffo:

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Cyrano4747 posted:

My favorite was " AC/2s are fine in tabletop! Only a couple of mechs in 3025 use them!"

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Ein Sexmonster posted:

My favorite was " AC/2s are fine in tabletop! Only a couple of mechs in 3025 use them!"

Was that the same post that said they filled a specific niche and they didn't have to be balanced against other weapons, and if you didn't like them you could just not use AC2s or any mech that mounts an AC2?

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Cyrano4747 posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer
That Kereminde dude is the biggest loving shitler on the HBS BT forums. He thinks he's some sort of big poo poo authority because he kisses mod rear end and writes worse pulp fanfics than the actual novels.

And gets lovely if you engage him in an argument and don't bow to his mighty post count.