Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005
Um guys I think you'll find that since Trump didn't literally turn into a pumpkin after Sessions testified, the whole venture was a waste and nothing matters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

How does this not constitute obstruction of justice?

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Aves Maria! posted:

Now imagine that number after the ACA is shot dead

is gofundme publicly traded

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

"All you need to know about the American healthcare system is there's a popular TV series where a man turns to cooking industrial quantities of meth in order to pay his hospital bills."

I remember this line in the quote, but can't find it now:

"And that premise isn't considered to be far-fetched."

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

The Lone Badger posted:

Is Mueller retired? It's common to use retired people to head up this kind of investigation, both for the combination of seniority and availability but also because they don't need to worry about how this is going to affect their career.

No, he was working for WilmerHale before being appointed, but has resigned. But being a prominent, famous lawyer it doesn't matter if he was officially retired anyway, he could return to work at any time.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Chilichimp posted:

It 100% does. He talked to a lot of people about it, it is not an anonymous leak.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Hollismason posted:

Did that guy Warmbier actually steal a sign or did N Korea just frame him then beat him into a coma.

he probably did it, NK is a horrible oppressive state but they have no incentive to randomly attack westerners and kill their naescent tourism industry, one of their most reliable sources of foreign currency

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

You dumb mother fuckers, the FIFA RICO investigation is going to end before Mueller. Investigations take time.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

empty whippet box posted:

It 100% does. He talked to a lot of people about it, it is not an anonymous leak.

gently caress this congress.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

repeating posted:

Regardless of how bad of a thing happened with the Comey and Sessions testimony, did you think he was gonna be impeached like today?

I'm not expecting Mueller's investigation to lead to any consequences for anyone, but I was hoping we would at least get something to infuriate Trump enough for him to lash out and keep the story going. This whole week has been incredibly tame, and now the story is about to go dark.

Yureina
Apr 28, 2013

Yeap. I found this out recently. Really turns me off the Palestinian cause to find out they basically consist entirely of raging racists.

The Lone Badger posted:

Is Mueller retired? It's common to use retired people to head up this kind of investigation, both for the combination of seniority and availability but also because they don't need to worry about how this is going to affect their career.

He was the head of the FBI from 2001 to 2013 (aka, the guy before Comey) and he's 72. I don't know if he was retired, but I'd say he probably isn't too concerned about his job prospects.

Also, I'd say that not even Trump is stupid enough to fire Mueller... but then I remember that he actually is that stupid. He would have to fire his Deputy AG too. At that point, R's would probably have to start advocating impeachment just to save their own asses from association with the idiot.

Yureina fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Jun 14, 2017

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

GreyjoyBastard posted:

In a narrow sense, yes, some inherited wealth should be legal.

Should it be capped? Maybe. Should there be a preposterous progressive tax / tax above a threshold? Almost certainly. If Donald Trump were "only" allowed to receive one million dollars from Fred Trump, he'd still have the crazy-rear end connections and opportunities afforded by being Fred's least-loserly favorite son child.

Additionally, one thing I never see mentioned is: progressive taxation of estates should be done based on the size of the bequest, as well as possibly the estate in total. If you're splitting a large estate amongst many heirs, it should be taxed less than an estate of the same size left to a single person.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

TyrantWD posted:

I'm not expecting Mueller's investigation to lead to any consequences for anyone, but I was hoping we would at least get something to infuriate Trump enough for him to lash out and keep the story going. This whole week has been incredibly tame, and now the story is about to go dark.
Maybe use the downtime to reflect whether your demands for constant entertainment could be harmful to the fabric of your society

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Tibalt posted:

You dumb mother fuckers, the FIFA RICO investigation is going to end before Mueller. Investigations take time.

Seriously. This isn't an episode of law and order. Investigations do not work fast at all. Gathering evidence, piecing it all together, and figuring out who did what isn't exactly easy. Then there's the part where you have to go prove that.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Mustached Demon posted:

Seriously. This isn't an episode of law and order. Investigations do not work fast at all. Gathering evidence, piecing it all together, and figuring out who did what isn't exactly easy. Then there's the part where you have to go prove that.

Plus if something did happen, it wasn't just one guy involved. It's a giant loving web of people who hosed up and you tend not to want to let traitors weasel out through loopholes.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Hollismason posted:

Did that guy Warmbier actually steal a sign or did N Korea just frame him then beat him into a coma.

there's video footage

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

awesmoe posted:

Maybe use the downtime to reflect whether your demands for constant entertainment could be harmful to the fabric of your society

The fabric of our society is irreparably damaged. At the very least we should get a good show in return.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

TyrantWD posted:

The fabric of our society is irreparably damaged. At the very least we should get a good show in return.

So that's a no on the self-reflection then? Fair enough

Ora Tzo
Feb 26, 2016

HEEEERES TONYYYY
It's not like you've taken Flynn to court yet, isn't he a time bomb?

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

poo poo I posted a while back about a 3%er assaulting a public servant serving him with a lawsuit. It happened in like February and the case is still pending. That's just one dude threatening someone.

Hoping they stick him with a felony so he loses his gun rights.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

R. Guyovich posted:

there's video footage

He was supposedly offered like ten grand and a car for it by someone at his church. I personally find that really strange, but whatever. I would love to see an interview with that person on the topic.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

:eyepop:

cult member at airport posted:

And this is why I scoff at Bernie supporters who chastise the Dems for not having more open primaries.

Open primaries are pure stupidity. The entire point of a primary is that a party is picking who it wants as its nominee in an election. If you want a say in that party's decision then you need to join the party and if you don't like it that's too drat bad.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Chilichimp posted:

Republican Congress

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

TyrantWD posted:

It's literally Tuesday.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
Trump really thinks he can just be the Mob Boss of America without the charm or intimidation or smarts.

JFC, I still maintain "Eat the rich, jail all Republican politicians"

Chilichimp posted:

It's literally Tuesday.

:suicide:

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

He was supposedly offered like ten grand and a car for it by someone at his church. I personally find that really strange, but whatever. I would love to see an interview with that person on the topic.

right, that was the grounds for espionage.

shaky but whatever, he was never going to serve out the full sentence since americans are detained due to a lack of diplomatic channels

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

boner confessor posted:

he probably did it, NK is a horrible oppressive state but they have no incentive to randomly attack westerners and kill their naescent tourism industry, one of their most reliable sources of foreign currency

Almost all of the people arrested and detained by the NKs either illegally crossed the border or proselytizing religion, which is illegal. All of them are Christians. NK isn't exactly friendly to Christians. One dude was arrested for fighting in the Korean War though. Also that guy who wanted to get arrested and told the NK authorities he was an associate of Wikileaks. They didn't believe him. :laugh:

R. Guyovich posted:

there's video footage

It's pretty blurry. Dude is basically a silhouette. I agree that he probably did it though, based on:

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

R. Guyovich posted:

right, that was the grounds for espionage.

shaky but whatever, he was never going to serve out the full sentence since americans are detained due to a lack of diplomatic channels

If it had propaganda on it they might well have given it to him if he asked politely.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

R. Guyovich posted:

there's video footage

Isn't that footage a poorly-lit video of the back of some guy who is taking down a poster, which North Korea claims is of the kid

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

Yeah I'm going to go out on a limb and say that didn't happen, the North Korean prosecutors made that up and coerced the kid into confessing. Or they just tortured him until he made something up himself.

Like, maybe he took the sign, but the story about the $10k and the car is made up.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

VitalSigns posted:

Isn't that footage a poorly-lit video of the back of some guy who is taking down a poster, which North Korea claims is of the kid

It's from the side and he looks like a shadow person.

Ogmius815 posted:

Yeah I'm going to go out on a limb and say that didn't happen, the North Korean prosecutors made that up and coerced the kid into confessing. Or they just tortured him until he made something up himself.

Like, maybe he took the sign, but the story about the $10k and the car is made up.

Oh, that was entirely from the confession? Did anyone prove it beyond that?

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

Ogmius815 posted:

Long story short if you go to North Korea, you could end up basically dead for taking a poster.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

Lightning Lord posted:

It's from the side and he looks like a shadow person.

Oh, that was entirely from the confession? Did anyone prove it beyond that?

His "trial" lasted less than an hour dude. No one proved anything.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Evil Fluffy posted:

Open primaries are pure stupidity. The entire point of a primary is that a party is picking who it wants as its nominee in an election. If you want a say in that party's decision then you need to join the party and if you don't like it that's too drat bad.

Eh. We live in a two party system and people on the left/right vote in democrat/republican primaries. In open primaries, it's better to say the left/right voters pick the candidate they want to represent their end of the spectrum.

States that decide by closed caucus can literally suck the poo poo from my rear end in a top hat.

Honestly, though, Democrats need to can this loving chatter stat. The Republicans are openly caucusing with white supremacists and they're making no moves to limit access to fringey nutjob candidates. Maybe it'll backfire, but it hasn't yet.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Dogwood Fleet posted:

If it had propaganda on it they might well have given it to him if he asked politely.

well it was on the staff-only floor of the hotel tourists are specifically told not to go to, which of course fires up the more intrepid and/or stupid among them to touch the forbidden fruit. people who've gone there without getting caught have noted their disappointment in said shadowy secret place being a regular-rear end floor

so if he'd asked respectfully in a spot not warned against visiting, probably

Petr
Oct 3, 2000

TyrantWD posted:

This Russia stuff has fizzled out as expected. Unless we get a leak of a smoking gun, or Trump fires Mueller, this whole thing has been a wet fart.

I'm pretty hard in the "nothing matters until it starts to matter" camp, and even I think this is a touch premature.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Who would even do that? Is their position in the federal government filled?

Look into whether the church person who offered him 10k and a car was real, I mean.

empty whippet box fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Jun 14, 2017

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Ogmius815 posted:

His "trial" lasted less than an hour dude. No one proved anything.

I thought it might have been confirmed in reality, but nice to know it was entirely fiction.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Lightning Lord posted:

I thought it might have been confirmed in reality, but nice to know it was entirely fiction.

I think the question is whether the us has looked into that story at all. The answer is probably not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Petr
Oct 3, 2000

PT6A posted:

Additionally, one thing I never see mentioned is: progressive taxation of estates should be done based on the size of the bequest, as well as possibly the estate in total. If you're splitting a large estate amongst many heirs, it should be taxed less than an estate of the same size left to a single person.

Economic gavelkind, I like it

• Locked thread