Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

Found a "broken" team:

2x Trebuchets
1x Jaggermech
1x Orion

Setup on a hill and have the Orion on point and with Sensor Lock. Once an enemy is in range, Lock and then have each Treb fire 1 LRM 15. The first will unsteady, the 2nd will knockdown, then the Jaggermech(with an 8 gunner) uses called shots to the head. If you don't need Sensor Lock, the Orion can help with the LRM/SRM combo and maybe lasers, no need for the AC/10. Why bruise the meat? Each enemy died within 2 combat rounds, no flanking or side focusing. My own Orion pulled back as needed, the others didn't move after getting perched.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

:stare: did he just say that unironically

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Psion posted:

Why do you have to assume his gender, Psion?

I do it because I'm an uncaring jerk.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

Psion posted:

Yes. Go through his post history if you dare, he's a lovely passive aggressive shitler. He's even more insufferable in the Battletech discord.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Skoll posted:

Yes. Go through his post history if you dare, he's a lovely passive aggressive shitler. He's even more insufferable in the Battletech discord.

Wait, that guy is a goon? :staredog: Who is he in the discord?

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Phrosphor posted:

Cough Cough There is an entry in the files for the dropship, which as mentioned already is a leopard, and an Upgraded Dropship which is the Argo. Cough

This has me super excited about the potential scale of late game missions if it's true.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Zaodai posted:

Wait, that guy is a goon? :staredog: Who is he in the discord?

I'm guessing Skoll means the "official" Battletechgame discord. (Probably not official)

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I'm guessing Skoll means the "official" Battletechgame discord. (Probably not official)

peep the 8k post count on a year and a bit old forum for a game that only just hit a limited beta.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Phrosphor posted:

peep the 8k post count on a year and a bit old forum for a game that only just hit a limited beta.

That really is crazy, I mean, I've got 19,000 posts in 8 years of SA and I think *I* post too much.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Ideally you'd post none.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Yeah, but we unfortunately don't live in a perfect world.

The official forums being full of crazy is not surprising, remember what the MWO forums were like? Here are some of my favorite reminders!

Orv
May 4, 2011
Actually that was my bad, I didn't realize that avatar had spread, you're cool Galaga.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

My favorite guy from the MWO forums that claimed goons being able to play was wrong because we do things worse than multiple holocausts.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Yeah, its what I get for posting in the XIV thread. I'll change it eventually.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Zaodai posted:

My favorite guy from the MWO forums that claimed goons being able to play was wrong because we do things worse than multiple holocausts.

Remember, teamwork is overpowered.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

Phrosphor posted:

Remember, teamwork is overpowered.

I remember that being a thread title at some point, but did some actually suggest that :prepop:

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

CHICKEN SHOES posted:

I remember that being a thread title at some point, but did some actually suggest that :prepop:

Before lances were in the game, we were syncdropping by all pressing launch at the same time to end up in the same game. This was apparently unfair.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Phrosphor posted:

Before lances were in the game, we were syncdropping by all pressing launch at the same time to end up in the same game. This was apparently unfair.

Meanwhile, posting about getting lucky where the matchmaking had you beat out an obvious 8 man lance with your rag tag collection of solo droppers was "Name and shame" They were angry at both sides of that :v:

I think that was my only mod whitewashed post on those forums, too. Made all the more funny considering the intent was to compliment random pubbies coming together, as much as anything.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Jun 14, 2017

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
i hate everyone who likes Battletech outside of these forums I think

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe

Phrosphor posted:

The best was spying streamers and synching our drops with them, so it would be us vs a streamer and 7 other random, uncoordinated sicophants

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

CHICKEN SHOES posted:

i hate everyone

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

kingcom posted:

Chicken Shoes posted:

i hate everyone

:agreed:

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

It's easy to understand grogs: they actually think they're very important. They have the Nerd Disease: they think the long-term consumption of media matters, and is a replacement for a personality. When a grog gets pissy at you, it's because they literally cannot understand how you could disagree with them.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Yeah I meant the discord the HBS forum superstars set up.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

CHICKEN SHOES posted:

i hate everyone who likes Battletech outside of these forums I think

Austin Walker likes Battletech, so there's at least one okay dude who likes BT and isn't a SA poster.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Skippy McPants posted:

Austin Walker likes Battletech, so there's at least one okay dude who likes BT and isn't a SA poster.

:unsmith:

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
I had to google that name :smith:

Asimov
Feb 15, 2016

I'm not really a battletech follower and have only seen this game in gif form. If they could make one improvement to the game, I think it would be to change the melee animation so it goes:

1) Big wind up, robot lets loose a massive swing
2) Fist/Foot contacts enemy mech
2a) Freeze time at the instant of impact (maybe some metal shards flying in slow-mo)
2b) Small weapons fire with gratuitous special effects (flames/lasers/shells) -- lots of small damage numbers float upward in a thick stack
3) After small weapons finish firing, increase to normal animation speed
4) Resolve damage to enemy mech and process all negative effects

I think I've read similar suggestions in this thread but it seems like an obvious improvement.

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

Asimov posted:

I'm not really a battletech follower and have only seen this game in gif form. If they could make one improvement to the game, I think it would be to change the melee animation so it goes:

2a) Freeze time at the instant of impact (maybe some metal shards flying in slow-mo)
2b) Small weapons fire with gratuitous special effects (flames/lasers/shells) -- lots of small damage numbers float upward in a thick stack

I think I've read similar suggestions in this thread but it seems like an obvious improvement.

I've made suggestions like that in the post-match surveys. I think the problem comes down to time/money/people spent on making sure such animations work across a wide range of mech shapes, differences in attacker/defender hight, forms of physical attacks, hit locations, weapon locations and then to top it all off - player mech customization. This is a team that is porting over assets from another game to save time and money. In a thread on pilot ejecting on the official forums, a dev broke down how such requests end up eating up a ton of resources, even without changing the way the game calculates things. As awesome as such things would be, it takes a ton of work in a game like Battletech.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Amechwarrior posted:

I've made suggestions like that in the post-match surveys. I think the problem comes down to time/money/people spent on making sure such animations work across a wide range of mech shapes, differences in attacker/defender hight, forms of physical attacks, hit locations, weapon locations and then to top it all off - player mech customization. This is a team that is porting over assets from another game to save time and money. In a thread on pilot ejecting on the official forums, a dev broke down how such requests end up eating up a ton of resources, even without changing the way the game calculates things. As awesome as such things would be, it takes a ton of work in a game like Battletech.

I think stuff like this is firmly in the 'nice to have' pile of features, and they are still focusing heavily on the 'need to have' pile.

Asimov
Feb 15, 2016

Yeah that's a fair point about the animation costs and 'nice to have' priorities. I agree that it's always better to do the core mechanics well and abstract the visual results, but it sure would be entertaining someday to have DFA elbow drops and secret jiu-jitsu robot grappling techniques.

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters
If any PGI were any good at life that's what they would make MW5 about. That and Hatchetmen.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

vorebane posted:

If any PGI were any good at life that's what they would make MW5 about. That and Hatchetmen.

They'd have to hire actual coders for that!

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Asimov posted:

This would be by far my ideal, too, but I think Amechwarrior has the totally right read of it :(

Amechwarrior posted:

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

All I want is them to model 2-3 melee weapon wielding mechs and give them a custom punch animation (e.g. axe swing) and bonus damage when punching. Is that so much to ask?

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

So this game seems cool and good

Mwo has made me thing battletech is trash and bad

Unbreak me

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

ZenVulgarity posted:

Unbreak me
MWO is made by PGI, who are wholly and completely trash. They do not even have in-house programmers.

Battletech is made by HBS (Harebrained Schemes), who are wholly awesome and good. HBS is run by the man who invented the tabletop game Battletech in the 80s. They have in-house programmers. They acquired the mech assets (the only good part of MWO; the cool mech art and models) from PGI and are otherwise not affiliated.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

wiegieman posted:

It's easy to understand grogs: they actually think they're very important. They have the Nerd Disease: they think the long-term consumption of media matters, and is a replacement for a personality. When a grog gets pissy at you, it's because they literally cannot understand how you could disagree with them.

This is not remotely a grog or nerd thing. You see this kind of intolerance for any view aside from one's own in literally every conceivable field under the sun. Hell, you don't even have to wander off SA to see it at work in things other than game discussions - just visit D&D.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Lord Koth posted:

This is not remotely a grog or nerd thing. You see this kind of intolerance for any view aside from one's own in literally every conceivable field under the sun. Hell, you don't even have to wander off SA to see it at work in things other than game discussions - just visit D&D.

The issue with nerds is that they think consumption of media and being a big enough fan gives them some degree of ownership. You see this all the time with pretty much any property that has a following. You can't throw a rock on the internet without hitting some butt-hurt hyper Star Wars or Star Trek nerd absolutely incensed about how this that or the other thing is ruining his space opera.

Dudes thinking rolling dice in their basement for a couple decades gives them a greater say in how the franchise is developed than the literal man who invented it is absolutely par for the course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

ZenVulgarity posted:

Unbreak me

MWO is trash and bad.

That's because MWO is trash and bad, not because btech is. The people making this have a track record of making cool and good games. It's likely that pattern will repeat because they can do interesting writing and gameplay.