Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Thermite posted:

Any mention of this coming to the PS4?

PC and PS4 are updated at the same time, no reason to think this won't come to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Thermite posted:

Any mention of this coming to the PS4?

I haven't seen it but Tripwire usually updates PC and PS4 at the exact same times.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
When are they putting Mountain Pass and the original Biotics Lab in this game? I, like most, started replaying on Ps4 and boy I miss those old maps.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Bogart posted:

When are they putting Mountain Pass and the original Biotics Lab in this game? I, like most, started replaying on Ps4 and boy I miss those old maps.

On PC people have pretty much made straight ports of both maps as customs into KF2, and I can safely say they play like trash with KF2's mechanics. Mountain Pass is empty, slow, and you get spicy 50HP Husk fireballs from across the map, and most of your time in Biotics Lab is spent camping a singular hallway. Which I guess is still pretty true to the originals but honestly recreating them is a lot better than outright copying and pasting.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
But I want them :(

Bilal
Feb 20, 2012

Bogart posted:

I liked the rusty Silent Hill-esque aesthetic of the classic Biotics a lot more than the Resident Evil movie high tech new Biotics. It just felt more right.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Bogart posted:

But I want them :(

Well, I can't argue with that.

I do miss the gross, grungy look of some of the KF1 maps, though. It's actually fitting when they get covered in blood and gore. The new carnival map seems somewhat similar to KF1's look.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer
Supposedly the event is supposed to go live ten minutes from now at 1 PM EST.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

This 5.5GB update needs more than 20GB of free space wtf

Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe

SinineSiil posted:

This 5.5GB update needs more than 20GB of free space wtf

Ah, the Overkill school of game updates.

(it needs the extra space for unpacking/repacking of files)

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Laputanmachine posted:

Ah, the Overkill school of game updates.

(it needs the extra space for unpacking/repacking of files)
Seems like it needed ~35GB of space to start downloading it :/
And yeah, it reserved all of it for the update.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Not up on the console version. :(

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

10 months since I last played this and they still haven't added sprint toggle ugh

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Alteisen posted:

Not up on the console version. :(

Same

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Apparently we get it later in the season. :smith:

Thermite
Aug 16, 2006

Huzzah!
Aww man. I'm really looking forward to the new shotgun.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Alteisen posted:

Apparently we get it later in the season. :smith:

They really shouldn't have released it at all if they didn't have it ready on both console and PC

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

SinineSiil posted:

10 months since I last played this and they still haven't added sprint toggle ugh

One thing I vaguely miss (unless I dreamt the whole thing and it never existed) is that in KF1 you couldn't walk off the edge of something if you were crouched. This meant you could get right to the edge without fear of dropping down into the horde, which was great for stacking up players to rain as much hell down on the zeds as possible.
But I haven't played KF1 in so long I might be confusing that function with some other game.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

It was probably in KF1. It's an Unreal engine thing by default; I definitely remember it in other UE games.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

It was in other Unreal games (specifically Unreal and its tournament varieties) and was also in KF1, what with it being a UT mod and all.

And yes, that is a feature more games need.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

drrockso20 posted:

They really shouldn't have released it at all if they didn't have it ready on both console and PC

Its free on PSN and 14.99/free weekend on PC right now, odds are they want people to grab the PC version right now.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

I like the new map, haven't touched the new guns yet. There are some activities to do during the summer sale to get a summershow hazmat suit (beat the map on hard or above, power up the machines, then go to the tents drop some dosh and do the things there), but they're all pretty easy, nothing nightmarish like in the old days. They function like hidden achievements, probably to prevent people from just SAM'ing for the thing.

As for the traps, the group I was in just hung around the carousel, but it was still pretty fun to watch zeds getting tossed around by the thing, specially a charging Fleshpound getting knocked on his rear end.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

Today's (???) update looked killer and I can't wait to play again!!!

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

I did both the weekly and the hazmat but can't find them in my gear.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Oh yeah, PS4's monthly free poo poo is KF2. Get it, you tossers.

And also some game about budding lesbians but more importantly KF2 is free in June so go get it now god dammit

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

widespread posted:

Oh yeah, PS4's monthly free poo poo is KF2. Get it, you tossers.

And also some game about budding lesbians but more importantly KF2 is free in June so go get it now god dammit

Time traveling lesbians no less!

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Are there any good guides for swat or demo?

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

RC Cola posted:

I'll write you the important basics later. I love Demo and SWAT is a class I at least like.

The new map and zeds are great. The Scrake has a new animation where he runs like a monkey and the Siren screams have been replaced by her screaming opera off-key. The new Sharpshooter weapon is fantastic--it does more damage than the .500, and the new shotgun is even more bonkers and weighs just six blocks so you can use it with the double barrel and AA12.

The new event is also super-dumb and I love it. Zeds always explode when they die so all you hear is constant popping.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"
This weekly event thing is hard as balls and I love it.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Propaganda Hour posted:

We just did it on Descent as a six-man demo squad and we came out pretty unscathed.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
What the gently caress is bug splat and why did it crash KF on me

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

These carnival games are the hardest thing in the universe, but it is really funny how it comes off as rigged and trying to yake your money. See, this game is wholesome and educational!

Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe
Just in case anyone's wondering, you have to use the 9mm pistol on the games. You just fail if you shoot the targets with any other rifle, pistol or any other gun really.

Edit: akimbo 9mms are fair game.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

alg posted:

I did both the weekly and the hazmat but can't find them in my gear.

Having the same issue. Are the rest of you having stuff show up right away, or does this not happen until the end of the event?

Alteisen posted:

What the gently caress is bug splat and why did it crash KF on me

It's a crash reporter, if the game crashes normally anyway that program opens so you can send the report to the developers and they can fix it.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

Propaganda Hour posted:

The matchmaking for it last night was broken so I solo'd it.

I haven't gotten the reward for it yet, nor my RS2 items.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

The matchmaking for it last night was broken so I solo'd it.

I haven't gotten the reward for it yet, nor my RS2 items.

The server browser works just use the filter

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

For me and the others who were not getting items, there was a small patch just pushed that fixes it. Yay.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=leoV_Xl1g3o

I made a video about explosions.

RC Cola posted:

SWAT: Swat is pretty useful all-around as a tanky character. You'll want fast reloads for sure, but it's up to your preference which skills you want to select. In general you want to work towards a final loadout of the Medic SMG/MP5, Kriss, and P90. Keep in mind that SWAT is extremely expensive, though. You want to save flashbangs for Scrakes and Fleshpounds, but at high level you can solo a Scrake with the Kriss if you aim for the head. Flashbangs don't work on either if they're attacking or blocking (or raging in the Fleshpound's case).

Your most troublesome enemies are Husks and Gorefasts because they somewhat resist the damage you deal. While you want to run the MP5/Med SMG for trash, it's worth pulling out the P90 for things like Bloats, Sirens, Husks, and Gorefasts, while saving the Kriss for large zeds. You carry enough ammo and so many weapons that running dry isn't much of an issue. Stick with the MP5/Med SMG as long as you can until it runs out of ammo, then just start using the P90 for trash instead.

SWAT is by far the worst class for bosses. Each boss resists SWAT's damage to an insane degree and your flashbangs generally don't work on them. It's worth swapping off SWAT for boss waves. If you insist on staying SWAT, however, you want to focus most of your attention on clearing out any trash zeds that spawn during the fight.

Demo: Demo is pretty baller and I would say tied for second-best class with Berserker and behind Sharpshooter in terms of just absolutely murdering everything. First thing you need to know is that C4 and the M16 are both worthless and don't do nearly enough damage to use over the holy combo of grenade launcher + RPG. At the start of the game, keep your grenade pistol handy and buy the grenade launcher ASAP, only selling the grenade pistol it once it runs out of ammo (and make sure not to buy refills for it). It's a good way to save up money for the expensive rocket launcher.

Your skill tree is up to your preference (although I really love Mad Bomber for the level 25 skill), but Siren resistance is a newbie trap which pales in comparison to the perk which gives wider blast radius instead. The reduced damage on your splash is insignificant when you pick the perk over Siren resistance, and even on HoE you'll be clearing rooms with one grenade launch. . Conversely Siren spam is hardly ever an issue and more often than not your projectiles will manage to hit through the Siren scream anyways, somehow. Your first skill tree choice (more damage versus faster reloads) is based on what you want to be--a general everything killer or a slightly worse everything-killer that has even better crowd control over large zed handling. I also forget the alternative perk to having more reserve ammo, but the extra reserve ammo isn't useful unless you're mindlessly spamming shots, which you shouldn't be.

You also have two passive skills as Demo. The first is reactive armor, which lets you ignore all damage that makes you drop below 5 HP exactly once per round for a second, creating an explosion which lets you escape from being trapped. The second is whenever you weld doors, you can make them explode when they break. It's a fantastic passive and works excellently with Supports who can fix and quickly weld doors.

Your grenade pistol doesn't hurt you and has no arming distance, so you can use it point blank. It takes one shot to kill trash, and two for Gorefasts and elite Alpha clots.

Your grenade launcher can kill pretty much anything but large zeds and it does direct hit damage on top of explosion damage if you hit a target directly. You can instantly kill Sirens with a direct anywhere, and one-shot Bloats and Husks with a headshot explosion. If you're firing the grenade launcher at close range, try to jump before firing so that when you aim at the ground in front of you, there's a better chance you'll get the grenade past its minimum arming distance with the extra height.

Your rocket launcher is meant to handle tankier zeds. It is absolutely worth using a rocket to take out a Husk or Bloat. Even without damage-boosting perks, you're more than capable of handling Scrakes and Fleshpounds. With Scrakes, hitting a direct rocket to their heads does 400% damage (keep in mind that Scrakes heavily resist explosions, it's just the damage from the direct hit itself which is increased). With damage dealing perks, this kills the Scrake in two rocket headshots. Without it, it knocks the Scrake over and takes about three or four rockets. Fleshpounds, on the other hand, take increased damage from explosions in general and usually die in either two rockets or two rockets and a grenade launcher for followup. Fleshpounds have two weak spots, their heads (obviously) and the glowing chest piece on their body. You can stun both Scrakes and Fleshpounds by hitting them directly with your dynamite grenade (which explodes on contact), but only assuming either are not actively in an attack animation or if the Fleshpound is raging.

Demo is a pretty good damage dealer against bosses, and your rockets do extra damage against Hans specifically.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Aw, but I like the boob tube :(

e: I think SWAT is the best class to load into a game with. Level ten SWAT can start with half-full armor and dualies, which is worth it just for the dosh if nothing else. Source: I know nothing about nothing.

Bogart fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Jun 14, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

I play a lot of demo, it's easily a contender for my favourite class, and I will vouch for that guide, it's pretty much how I play demo to the letter- almost every game ends with demo as highest damage and most big zed kills, which you'd expect, but also generally with the most overall kills. It's a great class from a distance with friends up front keeping the stragglers at bay while you blow everything up over their heads, and it's a great class on the front lines, second only to zerker for getting out of bullshit situations where you have no business living. The one place I'd disagree is with the siren skill; on the whole the splash radius skill is better, but having the ability to instantly silence a swarm of sirens from a great distance with one shot is a very valuable thing, especially if you don't have teammates who have classes that are good at that.

Also agreed on SWAT for the most part, it's a very solid all-around class all the way up until the boss wave at which point the best tactic is to just switch classes because it's garbage against the bosses and you have no recourse. The skill that lets you start with dualies and bonus pistol damage is worth switching to for every first round because the pistols are actually useful on that wave, then you can save your mp7's ammo for the next round, sell the second pistol, and get to your Vector a round early with no consequence, since you can just switch your perk back to reload speed.