Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
People who talk about anything other than Harry Potter using Harry Potter metaphors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Another OITNB peeve is that the new season cold opened right after the previous one ended. I have seen season 4 once, a year ago, when I bingewatched it, so I spend the whole first episode playing catchup with the huge cast of characters trying to remember what they were up to last season. A recap would be nice.

Uhh there is a recap, you should have had to watch or skip past it to start watching the new season. Pretty sure Netflix does it for all of their original series. And also:

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Baron Corbyn posted:

People who talk about politics using Harry Potter metaphors are the dirt loving worst.

VOLDEMORT = N WORD

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003
I just got back from a concert. I paid good money for seats. If everyone sits, everyone can see the pretty lights and videos. No, don't stand up! No! It's Tool, not Lady Gaga. You don't need to throw the horns and sway back and forth and be in the loving way for 2.5 hours. Sit down. I'm old and grumpy and just want to sit in my seat and watch Maynard awkwardly dance in the back stage.

The older I get, the less I like people. Everything would be better if there was like, 98% less people involved.

And smokers! I thought that vile poo poo died out! Don't you fuckers vape cherry juice or some poo poo now? At least the smelly bastards are self selecting for cancer.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Antioch posted:

I just got back from a concert. I paid good money for seats. If everyone sits, everyone can see the pretty lights and videos. No, don't stand up! No! It's Tool, not Lady Gaga. You don't need to throw the horns and sway back and forth and be in the loving way for 2.5 hours. Sit down. I'm old and grumpy and just want to sit in my seat and watch Maynard awkwardly dance in the back stage.

I agree with this, but for sports. Sitting down at a college football game is a guaranteed way to get everyone around you to start yelling at you and threatening to kick your rear end. You'll get endless amounts of "you're not a real fan" etc if you have the audacity to not want to stand for four hours in the 90+ degree sun with no shade. Also people don't just stand, they stand on their seats, requiring everyone else to do it if they want to see. Security half-heartedly will go around telling people to get off of them, but as soon as they walk by they climb right back up.

You can just as enthusiastically support something/someone sitting down, trust me.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

You pay for a whole seat but you only need the edge the floor in front of it

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

People who talk about anything other than Harry Potter using Harry Potter metaphors.

related: Referring to actors by character names from other movies. Normally superhero poo poo. Did you see that movie where Wolverine and Batman were magicians who hated each other?

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Where we are going we won't need shirts
Pillbug

yeah I eat rear end posted:

I agree with this, but for sports. Sitting down at a college football game is a guaranteed way to get everyone around you to start yelling at you and threatening to kick your rear end. You'll get endless amounts of "you're not a real fan" etc if you have the audacity to not want to stand for four hours in the 90+ degree sun with no shade. Also people don't just stand, they stand on their seats, requiring everyone else to do it if they want to see. Security half-heartedly will go around telling people to get off of them, but as soon as they walk by they climb right back up.

You can just as enthusiastically support something/someone sitting down, trust me.

Did you get tickets in the hardcore fan sector of the stadium?

Please note that I never attend sport games and only see a handfull a year on TV, and the only people that I see standing there are the hardcore supporters.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Helios Grime posted:

Please note that I never attend sport games and only see a handfull a year on TV, and the only people that I see standing there are the hardcore supporters.

The whole student section (which is roughly half of the entire stadium, ~40-45,000 seats) is like that.

I think it's specific to college sports though. I don't go very often since graduating but I will occasionally go back and visit friends that are still there and go to a game so it's still annoying. The only other option would be to buy a ticket and sit in the shade with the booster types, but the tickets are like 10+ times more expensive.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Noctone posted:

Uhh there is a recap, you should have had to watch or skip past it to start watching the new season. Pretty sure Netflix does it for all of their original series. And also:

That is not how my netflix app looks at all

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Helios Grime posted:

Yeah even at college football games where you generally have cold, lovely benches to sit on the only time I've been standing the whole time is in the student section.

I also saw Tool last week and everyone was standing but also the seats were incredibly small. I am a tiny person and I felt like I was spilling over.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Baron Corbyn posted:

People who talk about politics using Harry Potter metaphors are the dirt loving worst.

Harry Potter is basically just a WW2 metaphor, so really these people are just a subset of the ones who decide that they are the allies and everyone against them is a nazi.

Bamabalacha
Sep 18, 2006

Outta my way, ya dumb rah-rah!

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

That is not how my netflix app looks at all

Netflix really needs to standardize their UI across all platforms more. I use it on a laptop, an iPad, a PS4, and an appleTV and they're all different.

My current peeve is assholes who prop up their bags on the entrance turnstile at the subway station while looking for their passes. Motherfucker, there's only one Presto tap unit at this entrance and there's a line behind you, scooch to the side!

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Bamabalacha posted:

Netflix really needs to standardize their UI across all platforms more. I use it on a laptop, an iPad, a PS4, and an appleTV and they're all different.

My current peeve is assholes who prop up their bags on the entrance turnstile at the subway station while looking for their passes. Motherfucker, there's only one Presto tap unit at this entrance and there's a line behind you, scooch to the side!

I don't have access to a subway, but this counts for any form of payment. I'm being generous when I say 50% of the time you're going to wait in some kind of line, and chances are you know what type of payment you're going to use, why not use that time spent in line getting out your payment method, instead of waiting until you're at the counter and the clerk has come back with your pack of smokes to get your ID and debit card out?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

That's when thieves will run by and steal your wallet.

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003
People who use their phones during a movie should be forced for a year to watch all content on a lovely 4" phone screen, using the headphones you get on airplanes. USED headphones. And they can only stream over 802.11b. In a room full of budgies, crying children, and un-shielded microwaves that randomly turn on.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k
Most people do the following. People driving who slow down to a crawl when there's a big rear end puddle and go through it at like 2mph. That's how you flood your engine and get stuck, idiot! You have to keep going at a good speed. Your car isn't going to go out of control! I always have to stop and wait till they're through the puddle and then speed up so I don't flood MY engine.

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Che Delilas posted:

Related peeve: decent pricing for new customers and a cornholeing for existing customers.

That seems to be the new business model with just about everybody. It's like repeat business is an alien concept.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

New buildings going up with continuous construction... and not a single banner or sign on the fence stating what the future building's gonna be.

I just wanna know what that giant building with the drive-thru on the side they're building down the street from me is :argh:

Thin Privilege posted:

Most people do the following. People driving who slow down to a crawl when there's a big rear end puddle and go through it at like 2mph. That's how you flood your engine and get stuck, idiot! You have to keep going at a good speed. Your car isn't going to go out of control! I always have to stop and wait till they're through the puddle and then speed up so I don't flood MY engine.

Speed bumps, too. Most speed bumps are built so as to synchronize with the posted speed limit meaning you can go over them without slowing down (too much).

I always get stuck behind the fuckwit going 2 mph down the posted 25 mph street because there's speed bumps involved, slowing down to .000000000001 mph at each speed bump like they're driving over Olympus Mons. It's worse when lifted bro-trucks and SUVs go over them like that

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

You Are A Elf posted:

New buildings going up with continuous construction... and not a single banner or sign on the fence stating what the future building's gonna be.

I just wanna know what that giant building with the drive-thru on the side they're building down the street from me is :argh:

Speed bumps, too. Most speed bumps are built so as to synchronize with the posted speed limit meaning you can go over them without slowing down (too much).

I always get stuck behind the fuckwit going 2 mph down the posted 25 mph street because there's speed bumps involved, slowing down to .000000000001 mph at each speed bump like they're driving over Olympus Mons. It's worse when lifted bro-trucks and SUVs go over them like that

The real villain here is the speed bumps, not the people reacting to them.

Back when I drove a corolla, my student housing parking garage speed bumps hosed up my suspension despite me going near exactly the speed limit. Speed bumps are a poo poo idea and help nothing.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

It actually slows drivers down so that they don't run over pedestrians like me. Fatalities have gone down here since they started putting them in and I hope they add more

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Speed bumps are nothing compared to speed humps that actually cause all four tires to leave the ground even if you are going like 15 mph. We had one in front my middle school and there was always a pile of torn off mufflers and poo poo in the grass beside the road.

I spent many recesses just sitting and watching people get their cars destroyed, but I find them much less enjoyable as an adult.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I heard the Nickelback song "Rockstar" on the radio the other day and I hate that song so much.

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Wheat Loaf posted:

I heard Nickelback on the radio the other day and I hate them so much.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
"Rockstar" encapsulates everything bad about Nickelback as a band.

Are they trying to sum up the futility and emptiness of the rock and roll lifestyle? Well, they've hosed it up, because the song describes all the coolest things about being rich and famous.

Are they trying to brag about how cool if is to be a famous rockstar? Well, they've hosed that up too, because Chad Kroeger is one of the most boring singers in the entire world.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Wheat Loaf posted:

"Rockstar" encapsulates everything bad about Nickelback as a band.

Are they trying to sum up the futility and emptiness of the rock and roll lifestyle? Well, they've hosed it up, because the song describes all the coolest things about being rich and famous.

Are they trying to brag about how cool if is to be a famous rockstar? Well, they've hosed that up too, because Chad Kroeger is one of the most boring singers in the entire world.

Who cares if he's boring when he is in fact a rich and famous rockstar? They didn't gently caress that up at all.

To contribute: people who treat politicians like superheroes or manifestations of their favorite fictional characters. It takes. 10 seconds to find reprehensible poo poo about Kamala Harris or Justin Trudeau, to name two recent examples of many. How people still think this way after the election is baffling.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Mu Zeta posted:

It actually slows drivers down so that they don't run over pedestrians like me. Fatalities have gone down here since they started putting them in and I hope they add more

I walk about six miles a day and still also drive. Speed bumps aren't a good way to reduce traffic accidents.

Source: both drive and experience drivers

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

The real villain here is the speed bumps, not the people reacting to them.

Back when I drove a corolla, my student housing parking garage speed bumps hosed up my suspension despite me going near exactly the speed limit. Speed bumps are a poo poo idea and help nothing.

Yeah especially those ones that are super thin and super high. Those feel like your car is going to fall apart no matter what speed you're going.

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

Speed bumps are nothing compared to speed humps that actually cause all four tires to leave the ground even if you are going like 15 mph. We had one in front my middle school and there was always a pile of torn off mufflers and poo poo in the grass beside the road.

I spent many recesses just sitting and watching people get their cars destroyed, but I find them much less enjoyable as an adult.

UGH gently caress THOSE. They installed those here and they are so loving horrible and useless for the following reasons:

-these are city streets with lots of stop signs so no room to speed up past 20/25 to begin with
-there are no kids playing because it's all the front ends of apartment complexes
-people are going slow anyways looking for parking
-they made us lose a bunch of parking sports because they're so big and people aren't physically able to park on them (think about trying to parallel park over one, wtf)
-people go over one and speed up right after
-in the winter, when we frequently get a foot of snow, they become car-getting-stuck bumps because the snow piles on top of them and many cars aren't built high enough to be able to go over them. I've had to have people push my car cause I got stuck. The only solution to this is to speed up to get enough momentum. You can see why that's stupid
-they're not marked!!!! Either by signs or on the ground so unless you know it's there to begin with you end up bottoming out your car

Among others I can't think of right now

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Speed bumps, naturally, can't make exceptions for emergency services (or any other less widely agreeable reason you might consider a good one to break the speed limit). Hope you never have an emergency with them between you and the ambulance!

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

Where I'm from speed humps always have a sign warning you they're there (SPEED HUMP) and most of my friends in high school had one of those signs in their bedroom because it's super funny.

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.
I had no quarrel with speed humps until they installed a new one in the local Fancy Houses of the Childless Wealthy neighborhood (after already lowering the speed limit by 10 mph) that must have been installed wrong or something, because it's lopsided and weirdly blocky.

The first time I went over it in my tiny junkheap of a car (expecting it to be a smooth, speed-limit-friendly bump like all the others on that road), I thought it must have done actual damage.

That speed hump is the worst.

timefly
Apr 29, 2008

God social security is such a pain. I finally just went to the office in person and they said I should have my savings in 5-7 days. After months of them telling me it would be "soon". Unfortunately we won't be able to do anything for my boyfriend's birthday tomorrow, there's no one I can borrow from anyway. And I lost like $1500 because the company that used to be my rep payee kept saving my money way past the $2000 you're allowed to have in savings. drat it.

Tarantula
Nov 4, 2009

No go ahead stand in the fire, the healer will love the shit out of you.
Got to enjoy some fun peeves this week, including being talked down to by an old person about how I should be grateful "taxpayers like me" pay for my unemployment benefits, him and another old person in my training course could not shut the gently caress up and let the instructor do her job thus making it take about 3 hours longer than it needed to combined with needing their hands held for most of the piss easy course. poo poo like this makes me hope people like the condescending twat end up in a nursing home being looked after an underpaid non english speaking immigrant and their kids and grand kids never visit all after they have non stop voted to gently caress over the next generation.

Nettles Coterie
Dec 24, 2008

Play in the Dark, lest the Heat catch you standing still
^^^ gently caress old people.

All day long I get these condescending old fucks talking to me at work. Commenting on my appearance (Why did you cut your hair? What does your BOYFRIEND think of that? Why did you get your nose pierced?"), asking if I'm in school so I can get a better job (half my coworkers have degrees, including several with master's), or trying to start political arguments then acting like I'm ignorant because I refuse to engage in a loving debate while I'm JUST TRYING TO DO MY JOB. Worst of all are the nasty old dudes who think they can say whatever the gently caress they want to/about the young female employees, like somehow their age makes it cute and charming instead of deeply unsettling and creepy.

Then they have the loving nerve to complain that younger people are rude and entitled, as if I'M the one who tried to use a coupon that expired 2 years ago, threw a tantrum about having to pay 10 cents for a bag, and called the 17-year-old at the sandwich counter a bitch for not using enough mayo. gently caress off.

Nothing makes you hate old folks faster than working in a customer service environment.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Nettles Coterie posted:

Nothing makes you hate old folks people faster than working in a customer service environment.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Podcast Pet Peeve: when the timespan between the introduction to discussing the subject of the episode is too long. I get some housekeeping and random stuff, but christ, if I have to pick up my phone and play the scroll-ahead-thirty-seconds game, you have hosed up.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
Old folks especially are terrible to service workers. They expect you to bend over backward for them, but offer little in the way of compliance themselves. I work in a gas station and most customers under sixty are generally chill and understanding when there's an issue with their membership rewards or when the card reader doesn't read their card on the first try.

Most people past sixty? They go straight to the edge of losing their poo poo at the slightest hint of trouble, since having to swipe their card a second time or needing to push the chip in a hair further is just going to be too much trouble. And God forbid they have to actually loving read some sort of instruction.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

seems like 40 and above, honestly. and the sheer amount of people who don't just fuckin' read things is astonishing. don't yell at the clerk because you were too stupid to read the sign about which items qualify for the sale!

Tarantula
Nov 4, 2009

No go ahead stand in the fire, the healer will love the shit out of you.

Leavemywife posted:

Old folks especially are terrible to service workers. They expect you to bend over backward for them, but offer little in the way of compliance themselves. I work in a gas station and most customers under sixty are generally chill and understanding when there's an issue with their membership rewards or when the card reader doesn't read their card on the first try.

Most people past sixty? They go straight to the edge of losing their poo poo at the slightest hint of trouble, since having to swipe their card a second time or needing to push the chip in a hair further is just going to be too much trouble. And God forbid they have to actually loving read some sort of instruction.

The ultimate combination is if they are old and a smoker, without fail the petrol station will be out of their brand of cigarettes, causing the old smoker to ponder on the universal mystery of what smokes they really need because gently caress everyone else, and oh great payway isn't working now they need to process this dilemma, remember what their PIN is aaand turn around and walk into you. :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

MisterBibs posted:

Podcast Pet Peeve: when the timespan between the introduction to discussing the subject of the episode is too long. I get some housekeeping and random stuff, but christ, if I have to pick up my phone and play the scroll-ahead-thirty-seconds game, you have hosed up.

The Cracked podcast is the worst for this. If you don't want to listen to Jack O'Brien ramble on and on before the actual podcast starts you've got to skip 5-10 minutes. I'm really hoping it'll improve a lot now that he's gone.