Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Mario goes on adventures in different kingdoms that are large sandboxes based on specific locales and themes

Not that hard to wrap one's head around

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Cojawfee posted:

I don't really understand what Mario Odyssey is. With Zelda they wanted to make a big open world game and they succeeded. This looks like they wanted to make an open world mario but had no idea what to do and it's all just thrown together. Also, all the surfaces in that frozen desert world reminded me of marshmallow peeps and made me feel sick.

Have you never played Mario 64, Sunshine or Galaxy 1?

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

TFRazorsaw posted:

so the AM2R developer weighed in on Samus Returns and y'all can stop being outraged on his behalf

https://twitter.com/AM2Rgame/status/874701004092166145

I don't think anyone in here was outraged on his behalf but good on that guy for not having sour grapes and being a cool guy.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Have you never played Mario 64, Sunshine or Galaxy 1?

I played them a bit but never really liked them.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Cojawfee posted:

I don't really understand what Mario Odyssey is. With Zelda they wanted to make a big open world game and they succeeded. This looks like they wanted to make an open world mario but had no idea what to do and it's all just thrown together. Also, all the surfaces in that frozen desert world reminded me of marshmallow peeps and made me feel sick.

It sounds like they're going for "open world" in the same way 64 or sunshine was open world, except instead of each objective requiring you to complete it, exit the zone, re-enter the zone and have per-objective tweaks, every objective is attainable in one pass

Which really sounds to me like it's Mario does Banjo Kazooie.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

It sounds like they're going for "open world" in the same way 64 or sunshine was open world, except instead of each objective requiring you to complete it, exit the zone, re-enter the zone and have per-objective tweaks, every objective is attainable in one pass

Which really sounds to me like it's Mario does Banjo Kazooie.

Just that, and not the possessed objects with big eyes and Mario features attached to them while he's in control? :v:

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Commissar Ken posted:

I don't think anyone in here was outraged on his behalf but good on that guy for not having sour grapes and being a cool guy.

sorry, I phrased that badly. I meant the people outside this forum.

I'm dealing with some stuff, I didn't think that post through very well.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Just that, and not the possessed objects with big eyes and Mario features attached to them while he's in control? :v:

Hopefully you don't have to collect mumbo tokens for the transformations :v:

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Cojawfee posted:

I played them a bit but never really liked them.

Then you probably won't like this one either I guess. They've said the game is closer to 64 and Sunshine in terms of design so if you weren't a fan of those games and their like design philosophy then Odyssey probably isn't for you.

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

Hammer Bro. posted:

Eew. I just watched the Xenoblade 2 trailer and it made me wonder if I misremembered how much I liked the first one.

Do we know if it brings anything significant and new to the table? Or is it just different content with similar sensibilities, which were very refreshing way back when?

Your waifu is now your blade and she charges you up during fighting, I guess.

I'm watching the demo on youtube right now and the game doesn't look great.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

https://twitter.com/pappasman/status/874681580152913921

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Did we ever find out what the new BotW amiibos do?

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Did we ever find out what the new BotW amiibos do?

Mipha replaces Sidon in every cutscene.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Modus Pwnens posted:

Would Breath of the Wild be better if every shrine and korok seed were on the map?

I would like that, yes.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

The wedding Bowser/Peach amiibo are cool. gently caress Mario.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Please do not be mean to my good friend Mario and his nice suit.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Oh my god. The Metroid Amiibo is squishy!
https://twitter.com/KyleMHilliard/status/874746378580185088

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

TFRazorsaw posted:

the worst amiibo functionality ever

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
I just had a thought you guys... if Pauline is mayor, perhaps she's always been mayor? And if so, was Donkey Kong merely acting on a crush on a random lady, as we all suspected back in the 80s, or does this bring with it the new implication that there was a political impetus behind his frequent abductions of Pauline? After all, it should strike us as suspicious that someone would become a wanted criminal in a city named after him and his family, unless something really shady was going on behind the scenes...

Argue fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Jun 14, 2017

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

TFRazorsaw posted:

WTF

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

The internet ruined Sidon. This is your penance.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

TFRazorsaw posted:

The internet ruined Sidon. This is your penance.

I'm so glad I got to play BotW launch day. Pretty much everything was unspoiled for me and my whole thing with Sodom was "haha, this fish guy rules." I especially feel bad for anyone who didn't play Portal before it was memed out.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Commissar Ken posted:

I was so mad.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Stan Taylor posted:

I'm so glad I got to play BotW launch day. Pretty much everything was unspoiled for me and my whole thing with Sodom was "haha, this fish guy rules." I especially feel bad for anyone who didn't play Portal before it was memed out.

Same. Sidon is a total coolguy.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sEV7DYlFjFs

anyway where's a new video about Samus Returns with some new footage and Sakamoto explaining some stuff in Japanese.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Hammer Bro. posted:

Eew. I just watched the Xenoblade 2 trailer and it made me wonder if I misremembered how much I liked the first one.

Do we know if it brings anything significant and new to the table? Or is it just different content with similar sensibilities, which were very refreshing way back when?

Naw, I loved the first one and have found little to like about its sequels.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Policenaut posted:

As irrelevant YouTube star Woolie once said, if you're making a fan game shut the gently caress up about it and don't tell anyone until you're done!

Probably better just to not make a fan game.

Make your own loving poo poo; if you have what it takes to design a quality game through and through, your original game will do well. Spending a insufficiently long amount of time to make a strikingly average game that relies on someone else's IP is never the way to go.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

so is Reggie Corp announcing more games during treehouse this week or have we hit the end of announcements

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

BabyRyoga posted:

Make your own loving poo poo; if you have what it takes to design a quality game through and through, your original game will do well. Spending a insufficiently long amount of time to make a strikingly average game that relies on someone else's IP is never the way to go.

I don't think people make fan games for money or anything. Some people like spending their free time making stuff like AM2R instead of posting on a dead forum like I do.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

BabyRyoga posted:

I mean, that's how we got Mario.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

It's kind of bad that the Metroid Prime announcement is just a placeholder logo but it's good that people can be sure the series is alive.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
What the actual heck are you doing thread?! Why am I waking up to terrible posting and hostility?

Right, time to hand out some probes.

VideoGames fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Jun 14, 2017

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

:woop:

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Uh oh

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

When a project like AM2R gets a C&D, what's to stop them just rebranding the game with a new IP? Could AM2R suddenly be remodeled as like, a re-telling of Indonesian mythologies? Is it the branding (Samus, Metroids etc) or the actual maps being the same?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Well the trouble with AM2R was that it uses a bunch of assets from other Metroid games which would have to be removed and original stuff put in their place. At that point you might as well just make a new game from scratch.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

well why not posted:

When a project like AM2R gets a C&D, what's to stop them just rebranding the game with a new IP? Could AM2R suddenly be remodeled as like, a re-telling of Indonesian mythologies? Is it the branding (Samus, Metroids etc) or the actual maps being the same?

Pretty sure you can't copyright gameplay or level design or whatever so they either want it to be a fangame or they are an idiot.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Sakurazuka posted:

Well the trouble with AM2R was that it uses a bunch of assets from other Metroid games which would have to be removed and original stuff put in their place. At that point you might as well just make a new game from scratch.

but if they remove samus.jpg and metroid_theme.wav and replace them with something else, they'd be clear, right?

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

The game is full of Nintendo's assets as is. Changing everything would take another bazillion years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

gently caress you say

• Locked thread