Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Real hurthling! posted:

Its business, not a congressional hearing

LKD's whole argument is that they can tell boldfaced lies, but it is ultimately not in their best interest.

Macaluso posted:

Because I think it's more complicated than that. Like your three options for responding to a leak are, saying yes. Saying no. Or saying "no comment". They most likely will never say yes. Saying "no" or "no comment" doesn't feel all that different to me.

There's a world of difference between "no" and "no comment", despite how you feel. In addition to the choices you preset, there are a wide range of noncommittal answers a PR rep could give to any question that would avoid the hazards of delivering a boldfaced lie. I don't think anyone expects full sincerity from PR reps but there is a huge gulf between a noncommittal response and a bold, verifiable falsehood.

If you want to keep a secret it's not as if your only option when presented with the question "hey are we gonna see the secret thing at E3?" is "No."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
In the world of journalism, declining to answer means confirmation, because in a perfectly honest world you'd just say no if it wasn't true. That's why journalists phrase questions so that you can't get out of giving an answer by declining to answer.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Yeah everyone knows what No Comment means; it means "Yes"

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

DLC Inc posted:

I'm actually shocked Nintendo managed to keep the Metroids under close secrecy.

No one would have believed it, honestly.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

corn in the bible posted:

In their profession, it does, yes. Or at the very least it means "maybe".

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

This isn't unusual for Konami. They have a history of marginalizing employees who upset them. For example, Yoshitaka Murayama, the creator of Suikoden, was not listed in the credits for the third game since company policy dictated that anyone who leaves the company prior to shipping a game has their name stricken from the credits. Koji Igarashi was doing menial tasks and handling the localization of games like Scribblenauts prior to leaving the company.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Yeah, that is the double-edged sword of corporate PR in the age of social media. Lying is bad, so the ideal way of navigating this is to not comment on anything until you officially announce it. But you want to sell your poo poo and the best way to sell your poo poo is "engagement" which means playing with consumer expectations, which means lying sometimes.

I don't know much about LKD's journalism work besides the leak stuff, and that is not really a stable foundation for a journalistic "beat", maybe at best that should be a side thing in addition to your main coverage. Like, I felt bad reading that she was having suicidal thoughts over some of her leaks breaking in the wrong direction and getting blasted by trolls for it, but I almost felt as bad that she felt so vindicated that Grant Kirkhope confirmed he was doing the Rabbids soundtrack, because that feels like a really small news item

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Dr Cheeto posted:

If you want to keep a secret it's not as if your only option when presented with the question "hey are we gonna see the secret thing at E3?" is "No."

What alternatives do you suggest then? Besides "no comment"

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

An exaggerated wink

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

CJacobs posted:

In the world of journalism, declining to answer means confirmation, because in a perfectly honest world you'd just say no if it wasn't true. That's why journalists phrase questions so that you can't get out of giving an answer by declining to answer.

corn in the bible posted:

CJacobs posted:

In their profession, it does, yes. Or at the very least it means "maybe".

Ultimately, it doesn't matter. If it's important to keep a thing secret you're gonna have to get more clever than "no comment", but if you don't give a gently caress then who cares how​ LKD or anyone else interprets your "no comment" answer? The point is you're not damaging your ability to flatly deny things in the future.

When inevitably somebody posts a release that makes it look like your Pokemon game might come to Switch you're gonna wanna nip that in the bud before it overshadows the fact that your Pokemon game is coming out on 3DS and look how good and fun it is! You're not going to be able to do that if the last time you said "no" you really meant "yes".

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

I think the issue is less that PR lies and more that games journos report PR stuff as fact. All the articles saying BG&E2 wasn't going to be at E3 should have instead made it clear that this was just Michel Ancel talking and not a fact.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
Just smile and keep saying "maaaaaayyyybe"

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Macaluso posted:

What alternatives do you suggest then? Besides "no comment"

Specifically with the BGE2 reveal? It was a reply to a comment on an unrelated Instagram post. Would have been real easy to just not reply.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

It's honestly really interesting that Michel Ancel just randomly lied about that. There's a lot that's very weird about BG&E2 right now and I'm dying to know what the actual state of the game is.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Actually it's about ethics in speaking to games journalists.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

an actual dog posted:

It's honestly really interesting that Michel Ancel just randomly lied about that. There's a lot that's very weird about BG&E2 right now and I'm dying to know what the actual state of the game is.

The dude just wanted to surprise people.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
How will you react when Todd Howard tells us about the incredible AI in Skyrim Remastered during E3 2018? I don't think anyone would say that Todd Howard wasn't within his rights to lie to the press and public about video games for years but how did that affect his ability to do his job in the long run?

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Todd Howard more like Todd Blowhard!!!

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)

an actual dog posted:

What if it was actually a fairly last minute decision to show it now instead of at say GDC or such. I don't think it's impossible

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Ometeotl posted:

The dude just wanted to surprise people.

If he wanted to surprise people then why did he post about the game's existence on Instagram? This would have been a much bigger shock if we didn't already know that development was spinning up again.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Nina posted:

What if it was actually a fairly last minute decision to show it now instead of at say GDC or such. I don't think it's impossible

Yea I thought that too. I wonder what changed?

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

DLC Inc posted:

given how every company ever gets their poo poo leaked constantly I don't see how Ubisoft wanting one loving surprise to remain under wraps is A MONSTROUS LIE. jesus, you'd think someone noted for leaking so much would understand that maybe a company just felt like saying gently caress Off, Let Us Have This One Thing.
To me that's beside the point. What I took away from that article is that a minor thing like an unexpected reveal will have games journos that said otherwise be abused by gamers to the point that this minor thing becomes actually huge and emotionally taxing for them. I agree that PR will be PR and revealing a game while previously stating that there will be no reveal is a laughable "crime" but in the game journos world it has way heavier personal consequences. It's hosed to have to deal with this as something that you do to pay rent every day.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)

an actual dog posted:

Yea I thought that too. I wonder what changed?

Well I mean if it was to spice up the conference and get Ubisoft good PR the idea was a massive success

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Never speak to the cops press

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

DLC Inc posted:

I'm actually shocked Nintendo managed to keep the Metroids under close secrecy.

When dealing with Japan, always assume that "No" can mean either "No" or "Yes, but I'm saying no for a specific reason" and vice versa with "Yes" answers.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Yakuza and Persona are 'on that list' of games Sega wants to bring to PC. It's not confirmation but this is good news, I was thinking that there might be an agreement between Sega and Sony that kept those games off of PC but apparently not.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

what is it like being this humble?

https://twitter.com/AM2Rgame/status/874701004092166145

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Secrets, by definition, require lying. If you won't lie to protect a secret, it's not a secret. It's just something someone didn't know.

This is a culturally accepted thing about secrets. That keeping a secret is always a trade-off beteeen loyalty to those the secret concerns, and obligation of honesty to those prying into it.

So you can make the argument that honesty to reporters is more important than surprise videogames or whatever, but what people seem to be doing is arguing in favor of Kantian ethics. That lying is always wrong, no matter what.

Which I guess is valid.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

an actual dog posted:

Yakuza and Persona are 'on that list' of games Sega wants to bring to PC. It's not confirmation but this is good news, I was thinking that there might be an agreement between Sega and Sony that kept those games off of PC but apparently not.

yessssssssssssssssss

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Grapplejack posted:

No one would have believed it, honestly.

Its not hard to keep a single powerpoint slide secret

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

atlus jp has yet to put anything on steam so even though Sega owns them, I'm doubtful that anything will happen

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Quest For Glory II posted:

atlus jp has yet to put anything on steam so even though Sega owns them, I'm doubtful that anything will happen

aren't there disgaea games on steam? I thought they were published by atlus

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Viewtiful Jew posted:

When dealing with Japan, always assume that "No" can mean either "No" or "Yes, but I'm saying no for a specific reason" and vice versa with "Yes" answers.

No one ever says no in Japan, just very specific ways of saying yes that means no.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Cowcaster posted:

that's NISA

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

https://twitter.com/Natsume_Inc/status/875045594418380800

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Cowcaster posted:

Only the first one on PS2 was published by Atlus because NIS didn't have a western presence at the time.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
Someone recommend me an iPhone game. I've played a lot of crap so I'm looking for gems. I don't mind paying for a good game.

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

LawfulWaffle posted:

Someone recommend me an iPhone game. I've played a lot of crap so I'm looking for gems. I don't mind paying for a good game.

English Country Tune and vvvvvv

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

loving finally!

• Locked thread