Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

*Next right-wing terrorist attack*
"Yeah but remember Virginia? Liberals are every bit as violent!"
*Next 15 right-wing terrorist attacks*

Edit:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

TGLT posted:

The idea behind violence against nazis is to push them out of public spaces because you can't reason them down and they will end up being violent anyways, such as say in busses with knives. And while poo poo there is a valid argument for velvet glove/iron fist approach in political activity, GI Berniebro and his one man battalion doesn't really fit into either of those.

So the issue you have is this shooter didn't have a bigger team? Seems like shooting Nazis would certainly push them out of public spaces if you murder them.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

No Butt Stuff posted:

No, this guy

So ... Walter Sobchak finally snapped.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Blitz7x posted:

I fell hard for this
same, and i'm going to post it anyway any time someone talks about him.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

RottenK posted:

I think that people are freaking out too much, but I also think that it's bad that some braindead idiot decided to go and give the GOP a ratings bump

I mean i know that idiocy isn't exclusive to one side but i'd hoped that our idiots would be able to contain themselves a little better

I am disappointed in his marksmanship. He didn't shoot up a pizza joint and instead went after something that is real.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

I'm glad Steve Scalise is not dead which is probably the nicest thing I have ever or will ever say about him.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

SocketWrench posted:

To paint him absolutely as a determined shooter wanting to kill innocent white republicans so they can get their persecution on in full.
This is just Republican 101.

We already know that's true though.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

This is dumb because now no one is talking about Jeff Sessions refusing to answer questions when it should be taking up all of the news cycles.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

Hobo Clown posted:

Because that is what's really important, a event that hasn't actually occurred yet that you're speculating about, not the actual politically motivated shooting orchestrated by the personification of the D&D liberal.

e: Goddamn that's a good dogge though

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I hope Steve Scalise lives in fear

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

RottenK posted:

I think that people are freaking out too much, but I also think that it's bad that some braindead idiot decided to go and give the GOP a ratings bump

I mean i know that idiocy isn't exclusive to one side but i'd hoped that our idiots would be able to contain themselves a little better

:agreed: This was not a good thing, but I pretty strongly doubt that Republicans are going to be able to get much mileage out of it politically. Outside of the ~20% of the population that are dyed-in-the-wool Trumpkins, the public is just seeing chaos. They see the GOP as being unable to keep order, which was what they were promised last year. When our parents' generation looks back negatively at the year 1968, and the people in power at the time, these are the sorts of things that they describe.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Hm, what's a synonym for fear that would make you sound like a massive piece of poo poo here.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Al Borland Corp. posted:

I'd prefer people vote white supremacists out of office than shoot them.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Sinteres posted:

Hm, what's a synonym for fear that would make you sound like a massive piece of poo poo here.

Shits his pants?

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

Mind_Taker posted:

This is dumb because now no one is talking about Jeff Sessions refusing to answer questions when it should be taking up all of the news cycles.

I assure you that people would not have been talking about such an uninteresting topic anyway.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Sinteres posted:

Louisiana

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mind_Taker posted:

The investigation isn't going away no matter how many republican congress people get shot. Well, maybe it will stop if there is no one alive for them to investigate.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe
To those worrying the most, what kind of legislation or executive action do you expect to be passed in reaction to this? And given the fairly blatant hostility that the federal judiciary has shown toward Trump's attempted power grabs, do you expect any of it to survive judicial review?

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Xombie posted:

Actually people only care about domestic terrorism when it's targeting minorities. Charleston, for instance. White supremacists targeting government officials is downright common and it barely gets coverage unless they're mortally wounded.

Even domestic wears off quick. And white supremacists normally target non republicans. Republicans care a whole damned lot when it's "persecution" against them whether real or imagined. See the past 8 years under a *gasp* black man

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Trabisnikof posted:

So the issue you have is this shooter didn't have a bigger team? Seems like shooting Nazis would certainly push them out of public spaces if you murder them.

I didn't say that was my stance, just that the idea isn't, as you earlier stated, to make Scalise

Trabisnikof posted:

less of a Nazi

Yes, I do think, from a purely "is this effective" standpoint, that this kind of political violence has to come from an organized structure, with defined goals and a capacity to negotiate. Which is why I said earlier that unless some one was prepared to advocate for civil war they might not want to be praising this guy. I certainly don't think it's time for a civil war.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Flip Yr Wig posted:

To those worrying the most, what kind of legislation or executive action do you expect to be passed in reaction to this? And given the fairly blatant hostility that the federal judiciary has shown toward Trump's attempted power grabs, do you expect any of it to survive judicial review?

All Congressmen (but for some reason not women) are required to open carry.

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

TildeATH posted:

¿Porque no los dos?

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

FWIW, that Trump's speech apparently isn't immediately going Max Crackdown is a less ominous sign than I had feared

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
I firmly suspect that as a result of this there will be a series of laws passed making it illegal to shoot a sitting congressman.

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo

Hobo Clown posted:

You realize you could just replace Virginia with abortion or Farcry 5 or whatever, right? Their persecution complex continues, regardless

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

Sinteres posted:

While I don't agree with Borland here, Scalise really is a very, very bad person. Trying to kill him was both immoral and counterproductive, but still, just a flat-out awful, racist person. I hope this is a "James Brady moment" for him - I'm not counting on it, but it would be nice.

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president
The far cry 5 mod to replace all bad guys with sitting US republican congressmen will go over well on Fox and Friends

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Spiritus Nox posted:

FWIW, that Trump's speech apparently isn't immediately going Max Crackdown is a less ominous sign than I had feared

If he tries you know he will gently caress it up.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Spiritus Nox posted:

Somebody else wrote it down and he read it, he'll go off the rails when he starts tweeting

Zoph
Sep 12, 2005

Push El Burrito posted:

I firmly suspect that as a result of this there will be a series of laws passed making it illegal to shoot a sitting congressman.

It's not already?

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Outside of the abhorrent actions that the suspect carried out, I do find aggravation at the fact that this is another case of some dildo senior citizen loving things up for everybody else on the raft. Like I gotta be here for another sixty years or some poo poo. I really don't want to spend it in a fascist prison state.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

SKULL.GIF posted:

Do you have any evidence that this guy was mentally ill or "thinking irrationally" or something? From what little I've seen so far I'm seeing a guy who 1. accurately identified that the rich are sucking up the vast majority of the wealth and 2. accurately recognizes the Republicans as active enemies of the people

He drove from Illinois to Virginia and shot up a field full of people practicing baseball.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

But guys you know how The_Donald is well known for letting dumb things that validate their persecution complex go. This will totally blow over and does not mark a scene change in how the Right Wing discusses the left wing from here on out. I'm certain that the right will not discuss all leftists as if we are all dangerous threats just looking for an opportunity to pounce and I am certain that the way they speak about us amongst themselves will have no future consequences for any of us. They will quickly get distracted by something else and move on, you'll see. This will be blown over before you can finish a bowl of strawberry ice cream.

Prester Jane fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Jun 14, 2017

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/AnnieLinskey/status/875004035832700928

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Flip Yr Wig posted:

joke: registration of all leftists and Bernie Sanders voters

really: nothing will happen

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

[/color]Keep firing, assholes![/color]

Spaceballs the custom title.
Fun Shoe

TildeATH posted:

Vote them out, go to a town hall and yell at them. Hell throw some rotten fruit, but for god's sake don't try to execute them at baseball practice, wtf.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Prester Jane posted:

But guys you know how The_Donald is well known for letting dumb things that validate their persecution complex go. This will totally blow over and does not mark a scene change in how the Right Wing discusses the left wing from here on out. I'm certain that the right will not discuss us as leftists if we are all dangerous threats just looking for an opportunity to pounce and I am certain that the way they speak about us amongst themselves will have no future consequences for any of us. They will quickly get distracted by something else and move on, you'll see. This will be blown over before you can finish a bowl of strawberry ice cream.

You're talking about this like they're not doing it already. I don't fear a bunch of assholes on Reddit and I don't see why you do.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

lol zing

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

SKULL.GIF posted:

Do you have any evidence that this guy was mentally ill or "thinking irrationally" or something? From what little I've seen so far I'm seeing a guy who 1. accurately identified that the rich are sucking up the vast majority of the wealth and 2. accurately recognizes the Republicans as active enemies of the people

He was a baby boomer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Prester Jane posted:

But guys you know how The_Donald is well known for letting dumb things that validate their persecution complex go. This will totally blow over and does not mark a scene change in how the Right Wing discusses the left wing from here on out. I'm certain that the right will not discuss us as leftists if we are all dangerous threats just looking for an opportunity to pounce and I am certain that the way they speak about us amongst themselves will have no future consequences for any of us. They will quickly get distracted by something else and move on, you'll see. This will be blown over before you can finish a bowl of strawberry ice cream.

you should probably shoehorn some made-up words into that post just so people know it's you

• Locked thread