Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is going to be your favorite offseason storyline?
This poll is closed.
The Big3 Tourney 67 22.41%
Will Lakers draft Ball 40 13.38%
Where will the Pauls go 54 18.06%
Will LeBron jump ship to the Spurs or ?? 41 13.71%
Will every team in the league just pivot towards tanking 97 32.44%
Total: 210 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.

euphronius posted:

3 pick to Indiana
Pg to cle
Love to philly
Whatever else needed to make it work under the cba.

Who says no .

Why the gently caress would Cleveland want Paul George at all when they already have Lebron and let alone in exchange for Kevin Love? In that scenario would you be keen on aging Lebron grinding out games at the 4 every night? Seems completely idiotic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Dunced on was doing love trades today

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

euphronius posted:

3 pick to Indiana
Pg to cle
Love to philly

Who says no .

Why not just trade the 3 pick for Paul George who is a better and younger player?

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Libertine posted:

Why the gently caress would Cleveland want Paul George at all when they already have Lebron and let alone in exchange for Kevin Love? In that scenario would you be keen on aging Lebron grinding out games at the 4 every night? Seems completely idiotic.

Paul George is a better player than Kevin Love. He can guard the best wing which won't wear Lebron out as much. He makes their defense immensely better (which was their biggest issue).

Lebron has to play the 4 against Golden State anyways who is the only team that matters to Cleveland. That team with George matches up much better.

SpiritOfSanDimas
Oct 31, 2012

euphronius posted:

Dunced on was doing love trades today

I laughed at the Love back to Minnesota trade, but it honestly might make the most sense out of the other targets they mentioned (Denver, Phoenix)

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.
Without Kevin Love the Cavs probably give up even more double digit rebounding games to Steph Curry.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.
Well it's a moot point because right now I think Indiana is going to ride this upcoming season out with him and hope that he gets All-NBA next year. I don't see another team offering a high first for him because of the fact that he can leave after next season.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I'm going to be kinda really annoyed if Paul George gets way less than Cousins in a trade

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

zoux posted:

https://mobile.twitter.com/NBA_Math/status/875095302172282885

What I'm gathering here is that Steve Nash playing for D'Antoni was the worst defender of all time.

small fix

SpiritOfSanDimas posted:

I laughed at the Love back to Minnesota trade, but it honestly might make the most sense out of the other targets they mentioned (Denver, Phoenix)

What would MN send back?

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

pubic works project posted:

Well it's a moot point because right now I think Indiana is going to ride this upcoming season out with him and hope that he gets All-NBA next year. I don't see another team offering a high first for him because of the fact that he can leave after next season.

And Magic has strongly implied that the Lakers are waiting till summer 2018 when he's a FA.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

euphronius posted:

3 pick to Indiana
Pg to cle
Love to philly

Who says no .

#3 pick for Love

No

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Tae posted:

I'm going to be kinda really annoyed if Paul George gets way less than Cousins in a trade

Pacers should just throw whatever they have to at NO to get Cousins. PG/Turner/Cousins? Oh hell yeah.

Redgrendel2001 posted:

And Magic has strongly implied that the Lakers are waiting till summer 2018 when he's a FA.

And Magic is the one dumb motherfucker that I could see trading for PG this season because he's just a dumb motherfucker. But I've been wrong many times before, so I wouldn't be shocked if a trade of some sort did happen.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Niwrad posted:

Paul George is a better player than Kevin Love. He can guard the best wing which won't wear Lebron out as much. He makes their defense immensely better (which was their biggest issue).

Lebron has to play the 4 against Golden State anyways who is the only team that matters to Cleveland. That team with George matches up much better.

Wouldn't this give them a big rebounding issue?

Tae posted:

Trading for George is riskier because all of the he is just going to leave for the Lakers if he gets traded rumors.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Niwrad posted:

Why not just trade the 3 pick for Paul George who is a better and younger player?

No chance of resigning him?

Idk that does make sense

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Spacebump posted:

The bigger issue with the Cavs is that their only above-average defenders are Lebron and Tristan Thompson, the latter which can be very easily spooked off the court when the teams go small.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Spacebump posted:

Trading for George is riskier because all of the he is just going to leave for the Lakers if he gets traded rumors.

Also love has another year (maybe two) more than pg under k.

SpiritOfSanDimas
Oct 31, 2012

Lockback posted:

What would MN send back?

3 Way trade:

Cleveland:
Paul George

Indiana:
Zach Lavine
#7 pick

Minnesota:
Love

With Minnesota sending some other odds and ends / future picks to Indiana, but thats the general direction

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Libertine posted:

Without Kevin Love the Cavs probably give up even more double digit rebounding games to Steph Curry.

George is a good rebounder for a 3. Cavs can't play Love and Thompson together against the Warriors. George eats up the minutes that guys like Jefferson and Korver were forced to play. Kyrie/Shooter/George/Lebron/Thompson is about as good as they could hope to match up with the Warriors with.

Another benefit is they could have George guard Steph for stretches.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Niwrad posted:

I'm pretty convinced she was working off a script written by Gar Forman because she talked about how exciting it was to be back in the playoffs and that the team would be even better next year because it takes awhile for new players to work together. Was waiting for her to mention Luke Kennard being #1 on their draft board.

For real I was kind of depressed because I've had them 11 years and it was mostly fun.

I mean I guess Jimmy turned out better than Ronnie Brewer...

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

https://twitter.com/basketballtalk/status/875114280101793792

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

zoux posted:

https://mobile.twitter.com/NBA_Math/status/875095302172282885

What I'm gathering here is that Steve Nash was the worst defender of all time.
Bad at defense but I imagine a big factor is he played enough minutes in his career to accumulate a lot of negative points saved.

Looks like LeBron is the GOAT, and check out what happens when he stops coasting (playoff stats)

for reference LeBron has 9127 playoff minutes, MJ 7474

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Clippers would be more fun but a Kobe/PG13/young Lakers would be kind of fun. They'd need a new center. It'd be fun to see the Kobe fans that hate LeBron have to cheer him on.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
why cant we get a fun lebron rumor like he's likely to join the hornets instead of generic star to LA rumor

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

How would the Clippers even make that work? Heat would be kind of interesting although they'd need some shooters.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

Papercut posted:

I'm just gonna assume you didn't watch the playoffs, because KD is like the least shook fucker in the game. He absolutely murdered the field.

i watched a single game from start to finish, watched 5 minutes of game 3, and didn't watch any other playoff basketball, because the same thought i had at the beginning of the year, that it was pointless to try and compete with the warriors because no team could hope to beat them 4 out of 7 games held true, and rendered the entire 2016 season and playoffs irrelevant ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

the draft and rising stars game was more exciting than the playoffs this year

actually kinda makes me think about putting a large bet on the wars to win again next year depending on the vegas odds

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Dutchy posted:

Finally someone told KD what everyone spent eight years yelling at their TV

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

A second round in Miami would be really interesting for LeBron, especially if they can somehow get White LeBron too

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Niwrad posted:

How would the Clippers even make that work? Heat would be kind of interesting although they'd need some shooters.

Blake and CP3 take pay cuts. Wouldn't it work if CP3/Blake/LeBron each take about $20 million?

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
if lebron goes to the clippers ill hurl myself off a cliff paul

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun

Tae posted:

Steve Kerr in a pod with Lowe basically said Mike Brown won the series against the Cavs, because he was the biggest advocate for just running the Durant/Curry pickNroll and really fought for it in game 5.

He told a story where he spent all training camp telling KD "If you don't get the ball, just screen and keep moving. Don't just stand here."

Steve Kerr should have a show where he's like those cult deprogrammer guys except instead of a cult he undoes everything Scotty Brooks taught them about offense

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

chunkles posted:

Steve Kerr should have a show where he's like those cult deprogrammer guys except instead of a cult he undoes everything Scotty Brooks taught them about offense

Lol idiot, Scotty taught them nothing about offense.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

The offseason is the most exciting because it's not about the signings as much as seeing how long-standing teams like the Cavs and Clippers deal with horrific cap situations with no way to improve on talent.

What exactly are the Clippers with no assets, letting JJ Reddick walk, and then maxing out CP3 and Blake? Will Wesley Johnson finally see the light of day after randomly getting the full MLE?

TheShazbot
Feb 20, 2011

I want to see the Wizards get a better team so I can watch them

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

Tae posted:

The offseason is the most exciting because it's not about the signings as much as seeing how long-standing teams like the Cavs and Clippers deal with horrific cap situations with no way to improve on talent.

What exactly are the Clippers with no assets, letting JJ Reddick walk, and then maxing out CP3 and Blake? Will Wesley Johnson finally see the light of day after randomly getting the full MLE?

Yes let JJ walk so the Pacers can sign him.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

This offseason?

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

No way in hell

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Spacebump posted:

Blake and CP3 take pay cuts. Wouldn't it work if CP3/Blake/LeBron each take about $20 million?

These reports always fall apart for me when it involves a bunch of players taking like $10 million in pay cuts annually.

Bush Did Outer Heaven
Jan 18, 2005

The Sweetest Payne

Tae posted:

The Clippers could implode via FA, the Jazz could be reset by Hayward leaving, Westbrook has to either sign the designated player extension or get traded. Like, the Grizzlies could randomly be the 3 seed next year if enough (plausible) things happen this summer.

Spacebump posted:

Chris Paul's max deal starts at around 35.7 million and Griffin's max contract would begin at 30.6 million. It wouldn't be a discount in the vein of David West chasing a ring--it would be 3 top 20 players simultaneously sacrificing 100s of millions of dollars in salary to play together. Paul and LeBron lobbied during the last round of CBA negotiations to increase the total value of maximum contracts for veterans who will turn 36 (now 38) over the life of a longterm contract. They did that partly so that they (and their friends) could increase the value of their deals as they age into their mid 30s. I started to do the math on completely emptying the roster outside of Blake, Paul, rookie deals, and empty roster charges, and then stopped because it's so logistically unlikely as to make this "People around the league believe.." rumor absurd. The Lakers will almost certainly have max cap space for one player in the summer of 2018 though.

Bush Did Outer Heaven fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Jun 15, 2017

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

we're going to relive The Decision every year until we die i guess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Woj is historically 0/1000000 when it comes to Lebron transfer news/rumors. He was not connected to anyone close to Lebron in the Cleveland days, and responded with a mix of off the wall poo poo and hit pieces, as his free agency arrived, and so he's been locked out ever since. He did post an awesome piece a year before speculating that Lebron would come to Detroit, because Dumars was Woj's mole in the NBA

• Locked thread