Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

teagone posted:

I'm guessing MCU Captain Marvel.

I've been reading Captain Marvel comics since the announcement of Brie Larson being cast, and was super excited to get into her books at the recommendation of some goons. But thus far my overall impression of the character has been lukewarm. Not a huge fan of the writing, but the art is alright. The character just doesn't affect me like Wonder Woman does. Brie Larson though :allears: Hope the film presents Captain Marvel in a more compelling way.

I actually am looking forward to Captain Marvel too although I hope they factor in Ms. Marvel Kamala Khan in some way (they won't)

But read Ms. Marvel instead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BobKnob
Jul 23, 2002

Vikings are pirates only cooler. Oh yeah not a furry.

Guy A. Person posted:

Yeah I can't wait for Marvel's first woman super hero after like 10 years either

EDIT: wait did you mean Captain Marvel as in Shazam?? Maybe I was being pointlessly bitchy

I do mean MCU Captain Marvel. You are right. Marvel is late with a standalone female lead movie. At least Scarlett Johansson can act. At least Zoe Saldana can act. At least Brie Larson can act. The Marvel heroines weren't just chosen for their ability to look good on posters. I am actually looking forward to a GOOD female led superhero movie rather than just a meh one.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

BobKnob posted:

I do mean MCU Captain Marvel. You are right. Marvel is late with a standalone female lead movie. At least Scarlett Johansson can act. At least Zoe Saldana can act. At least Brie Larson can act. The Marvel heroines weren't just chosen for their ability to look good on posters. I am actually looking forward to a GOOD female led superhero movie rather than just a meh one.

Yeah Marvel's done pretty good so far with their leather fetish fantasy heroine :jerkbag:

Genuinely sorry to everyone else that I responded to this poster's transparent bait, bringing up Marvel apropos of nothing to go on this dumb little tangent

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Carol Danvers' persona is a lot more engaging and appealing than most of her actual "storylines" have been, though I did enjoy the recent arc written by Fazekas and...Butters?

And then she got turned into Marvel's #2 fascist so that put a bit of a damper on things.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

BrianWilly posted:

And then she got turned into Marvel's #2 fascist so that put a bit of a damper on things.

Yeah that was an admittedly weird move prior to her movie debut. But hell I guess it worked for MCU Iron Man after Civil War 1?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

BobKnob posted:

The Marvel heroines weren't just chosen for their ability to look good on posters.

Marvel marketing made drat sure to include rear end and cleavage shots for their posters, and to highlight Black Widow and Gamora's figures with unnatural poses. It's fine that you didn't like the movie or Gal Gadot as the lead, but you're heavily in the minority regarding Gadot's performance. Even the Red Letter Media guys, who have a penchant for making GBS threads on the DCEU and have ridiculed Gal Gadot's acting in BvS, felt Gal was pretty good in WW.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
"Zoe Saldana is a good actress"

*watches her in two movies that give her absolutely nothing to do and approves*

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

BobKnob posted:

I think he even had a "bad guy laugh" moment at some point?

He did, and it was awesome.

BobKnob
Jul 23, 2002

Opinions on acting ability aside, can one really argue that WW's skintight armor, entirely exposed legs and arms, and literal bondage fantasy lasso are not equally as titillating or even more so than Black Widow's non-leather uniform? I don't really care personally, but people are acting like DC's poo poo all of a sudden doesn't stink and that they are a shining light of feminism. Both DC and Marvel has had ridiculous outfits for their female superheros not to mention nature defying body proportions.

I was saying that while every major Marvel actress has a decent or even spectacular film career, Gadot's biggest film before the DCEU was a bit part in the Fast and Furious franchise. I think that Robin Wright and Connie Nielsen out acted Gadot in every scene they shared to an almost humiliating degree. Gal Gadot is very pretty though.

I was looking forward to Wonder Woman despite hating BVS. I found it to be average. I think people are blowing it out of proportion due to it being the first semi-decent female superhero movie. I am looking forward to a female superhero movie with someone that I know can act(Brie Larson).

On an unrelated note, Cyborg looks like he was coughed up out of an early PS2 game in the JL trailers.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

BobKnob posted:

I don't really care personally, but people are acting like DC's poo poo all of a sudden doesn't stink and that they are a shining light of feminism.

Nobody is doing this, and you obviously do care since you came in here to drum up some tired rear end Marvel vs DC poo poo. Ho hum.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

BobKnob posted:

I was saying that while every major Marvel actress has a decent or even spectacular film career, Gadot's biggest film before the DCEU was a bit part in the Fast and Furious franchise.

Why single out actresses? What was Chris Hemsworth's biggest film before he landed Thor? Or Henry Cavill's before Man of Steel?

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

BobKnob posted:

I don't really care personally, but people are acting like DC's poo poo all of a sudden doesn't stink and that they are a shining light of feminism.

Has anyone in this thread actually claimed that?

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

BobKnob posted:

Most female marvel heroes that people care about are parts of team since you can develop several characters at once, unfortunately Marvel sold all the female heroes that people actually give a poo poo about when they gave up the X-Men and Fantastic 4. Then they hosed up the Avengers and rather than give us the Wasp, they gave us Black Widow who is the shittiest version of the Avengers. They just stuck James Bond with a bunch of Gods and she sticks out like a sore thumb, at least Hawkeye had superhuman arrow shooting. Scarlet Witch is pretty cool.

Now because they really don't have anyone who can do a stand alone film, they kinda scrape the c-lister barrel and found Captain Marvel. The new Ms. Marvel is a much better character with a cooler powerset and backstory but apparently that would be too good of an idea to turn into a movie.

BobKnob
Jul 23, 2002

Schwarzwald posted:

Has anyone in this thread actually claimed that?

All I did was point out that I was looking forward to Captain Marvel and then Marvel was attacked.

Guy A. Person posted:

Yeah I can't wait for Marvel's first woman super hero after like 10 years either

EDIT: wait did you mean Captain Marvel as in Shazam?? Maybe I was being pointlessly bitchy

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Sorry maybe I was being overly harsh but I really don't buy that bringing up a Marvel film apropos of nothing wasn't just your garden variety "Marvel is going to do it better" bait. Also pointing out that Marvel hasn't gotten it right isn't anywhere close to "DC's poo poo doesn't stink".

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

I really appreciated the acting choices Gadot made in making Diana come across much more vulnerable and humane.

Not to overly shade on some of the previous WW performances, but when I try to imagine the Justice League cartoon Diana, or even the Keri Russell version from the animated movie, speaking the line "How can you say that? What is the matter with you!?" to Steve Trevor, all I can hear is "their" Dianas being judgmental and preachy in a really pretentious mother hen sort of way. The way that Gadot spoke the line, though, with that sense of confusion and helplessness and frustration, does a great job of showing how everything about this war is affecting Diana and, through her, the audience.

On that non-sequitur: I like a large majority of Marvel films, but they have very little to brag about when it comes to their depiction of female superheroes. To this day, the total lovely way that Hope Van Dyne was treated in Ant-Man makes that one of my least favorite superhero movies in spite of its draws.

Which isn't to say I'm not a bit apprehensive for Justice League as well. At the end of the day, there's still gonna be five dudemenguys on that team (six counting the inevitable Green Lantern in the sequel) with one single woman, which doesn't fill me with confidence that Diana isn't going to be afflicted with the same Team Chick syndrome that Black Widow and Gamora got the brunt of. Hopefully Mera makes more than just a cameo?

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I console myself by remembering that the women on Agents of SHIELD outshine their male counterparts on the regular.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Obvs Agents of SHIELD is one of the best shows ever and that everyone recognizes this objective fact!

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Phylodox posted:

I console myself by remembering that the women on Agents of SHIELD outshine their male counterparts on the regular.

Well one is a solid D-list superhero, another has litteral super powers, and another is Chun loving Li.

Not exactly a fair comparison when the only dude worth a drat is Coulson.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

MrJacobs posted:

Well one is a solid D-list superhero, another has litteral super powers, and another is Chun loving Li.

Not exactly a fair comparison when the only dude worth a drat is Coulson.

Nah, they're all great and badass in their own ways, but the women are regularly positioned as strong, kick rear end leaders.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Phylodox posted:

Nah, they're all great and badass in their own ways, but the women are regularly positioned as strong, kick rear end leaders.

On a show with literally dozens of fans.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

BrianWilly posted:

Which isn't to say I'm not a bit apprehensive for Justice League as well. At the end of the day, there's still gonna be five dudemenguys on that team (six counting the inevitable Green Lantern in the sequel) with one single woman, which doesn't fill me with confidence that Diana isn't going to be afflicted with the same Team Chick syndrome that Black Widow and Gamora got the brunt of. Hopefully Mera makes more than just a cameo?

I can almost guarantee Diana is not going to be relegated to "Black Widow/Gamora" team status in JL. No way. If anything, I have an inkling all the guys will answer to her. I also feel like there's likely going to be a choice set piece in JL where both Diana and Mera wreck Parademon fools together.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I wouldn't be surprised if Diana ended up leading the JL in this iteration. Superman and Batman are dead / unreliable / have secret identities to protect but Diana can just be baller constantly.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

well why not posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if Diana ended up leading the JL in this iteration. Superman and Batman are dead / unreliable / have secret identities to protect but Diana can just be baller constantly.

Yep. In my pre-BvS speculation, I even remember reading rumors that Wonder Woman is going to JL's formal leader in the DCEU. Dug through the archives and found a post I made in the BSS Movie thread back in 2014 where I made that assumption, haha:

quote:

They're not aping The Dark Knight Returns verbatim though, they're just using parts of it as inspiration for how they're portraying this iteration of Batman. In relation to that, weaving parts of of The Death of Superman into Dawn of Justice makes kind of makes sense considering what Man of Steel had laid the groundwork for. This is pure speculation, but if Snyder/Terrio write Dawn of Justice where the public opinion of Superman is wholly or even partially negative, whether that's due to the level of destruction he was a part of or if Lex Luthor slanders the hell out of him, the only way Clark can convince the public that he's not the enemy is through self-sacrifice.

While it might be a bit heavy-handed with the Christ metaphor again, it does make a bit of sense. It'd be a poignant mark in the narrative at least, where the public scolds him but he's the only one who can save them. Maybe Batman knows this too. Superman dying could also be what sparks the Justice League to form. I do remember reading somewhere that it's rumored to have Wonder Woman spearhead the Justice League in films and be its formal leader. Either way, I hope the rumor is true if only to read how angry everyone will be in the aftermath.

What's funny is the post in response to my speculation made by one of the BSS mods:

quote:

They're not going to loving kill Superman before a goddamn Justice League movie.

:smug:

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice
If I was a Nazi and myself and fellow soldiers were all shooting at a shield, I may well throw a grenade or aim at the feet perhaps.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

henpod posted:

If I was a Nazi and myself and fellow soldiers were all shooting at a shield, I may well throw a grenade or aim at the feet perhaps.

We had the Captain America discussion last page, why are you bringing it up again???

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

henpod posted:

If the person wasn't immediately dead I'd probably quietly sneak off on the basis of what the gently caress?

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I'd probably immediately defect to whatever side they're on because they're obviously the star of the movie.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Phylodox posted:

I'd probably immediately defect to whatever side they're on because they're obviously the star of the movie.

Have you ever seen a film?

Also watch it all from the start, Mitchell and Webb rule.

Filthy Casual
Aug 13, 2014

teagone posted:

I can almost guarantee Diana is not going to be relegated to "Black Widow/Gamora" team status in JL. No way. If anything, I have an inkling all the guys will answer to her. I also feel like there's likely going to be a choice set piece in JL where both Diana and Mera wreck Parademon fools together.

I hope this is the case, she always seemed like the best choice to lead in the JL/JL:U shows despite not filling that role. Supes is too whitebread, Batman is too damaged, but she has the right mix of powers and tactical expertise. Plus, the whole divine truth serum deal.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Filthy Casual posted:

I hope this is the case, she always seemed like the best choice to lead in the JL/JL:U shows despite not filling that role. Supes is too whitebread, Batman is too damaged, but she has the right mix of powers and tactical expertise. Plus, the whole divine truth serum deal.

Her tactical expertise is to just keep attacking the problem from the front in both movies she's been in. She's the team's wolverine, not the teams tactician.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

MrJacobs posted:

Her tactical expertise is to just keep attacking the problem from the front in both movies she's been in. She's the team's wolverine, not the teams tactician.

To be fair, Doomsday is the type of thing you HAVE to fight from the front - and she did chop of his hand, not her fualt it grew into a bone sword. She also didn't know what the gently caress was going on beyond some grey gorilla is energy ground-pounding up a city.

And with Ares, well, it's kinda hard to go one on one with something that is attacking you and NOT be head to head. It's not like she's Predator or something. She also theoretically has years of training in classical warfare from her Amazon schooling. She'd probably make a great Captain to Batman's General in times of battle, but she should clearly be be the public voice of the JL.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Guy A. Person posted:

Sorry maybe I was being overly harsh but I really don't buy that bringing up a Marvel film apropos of nothing wasn't just your garden variety "Marvel is going to do it better" bait. Also pointing out that Marvel hasn't gotten it right isn't anywhere close to "DC's poo poo doesn't stink".

I mean, Marvel certain has gotten comic book films right.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

teagone posted:

Well, if that's the case it'll probably happen during the reshoots, 'cuz so far the trailers have mostly focused on JL being the misadventures of cranky Batman playing off against the wacky gang he picks up, while Diana hasn't done much in them but make poses and snark against...again, Batman.

Which...yeah, I get it, Ben Affleck is your big recognizable Hollywood face, and Batman is Batman, and there's a lot of new characters to introduce. It just doesn't make me super confident that the film is gonna totally upend genre conventions of your average sausage-festy superteam and their one mascot lady. And any hope of adjusting anything already filmed is gonna lie in the hands of the guy who gave Black Widow baby problems and had her fall in love with the dweebiest guy in the entire MCU.

(I <3 u Joss!...I just don't trust you :v:)

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!

See, I like this, then she drags the dude she grabbed over to grab the other dude. There's a fairly big motion but nothing to cause it. She just slides over. There's no big powerful leap or anything, she just zots over like a videogame character whose animations failed to trigger. The whole thing gets sold through the speed and the vfx but the way they do the actual movement in MoS looks extremely poo poo to me. WW normally has some kind of cause and effect at least.

And of course when it's a slow motion scene they will take actual actions to propel themselves so it looks visually inconsistent.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Yeah I was assuming she'd be the team's Captain America in Justice League.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

ShineDog posted:

And of course when it's a slow motion scene they will take actual actions to propel themselves so it looks visually inconsistent.

I don't think we've ever seen a Kryptonian in slow motion in the DCEU.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

BrianWilly posted:

Well, if that's the case it'll probably happen during the reshoots, 'cuz so far the trailers have mostly focused on JL being the misadventures of cranky Batman playing off against the wacky gang he picks up, while Diana hasn't done much in them but make poses and snark against...again, Batman.

One trailer was a comic-con tease with very little finished footage, and we only recently just got one official trailer. I'd wait until JL marketing goes full throttle before passing judgement on whether Diana has a significant role in the film. She will. We know she already has a direct connection to the JL plot through the motherboxes.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Sir Kodiak posted:

I don't think we've ever seen a Kryptonian in slow motion in the DCEU.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_F8oTvrwaY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

ShineDog posted:

See, I like this, then she drags the dude she grabbed over to grab the other dude. There's a fairly big motion but nothing to cause it. She just slides over. There's no big powerful leap or anything, she just zots over like a videogame character whose animations failed to trigger. The whole thing gets sold through the speed and the vfx but the way they do the actual movement in MoS looks extremely poo poo to me. WW normally has some kind of cause and effect at least.

I think in part she's just kicking off hard with her right foot, which is below the frame, and in part unconsciously approaching flight.

• Locked thread