Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

imo if your plan to improve the subway doesn't include increasing both man hours and capital expenditures, it's nothing but a political wankfest.

*jeopardy buzzer*

sorry, the answer we are looking for is USB ports on a few busses

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

to be fair to cumo, he is just the last shithead in a long line of shitheads that ignored/defunded the MTA

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Rated PG-34 posted:

to be fair to cumo, he is just the last shithead in a long line of shitheads that ignored/defunded the MTA
that's true, but he and his staff have been incredibly thin-skinned when it comes to criticism of this and other policies. like, trump levels of thin skin. his spokeswoman responded to calls for increased minority appointments to state agencies as "mind-numbingly dumb personal attacks"

hopefully someone digs that up in two years as evidence that he's insufficiently woke to be the democratic nominee

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
cuomo has thinner skin than loving trump

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

logikv9 posted:

cuomo has thinner skin than loving trump
i'd say cuomo's skin is thicker but by a matter of millimeters

grah
Jul 26, 2007
brainsss

get that OUT of my face posted:

:agreed:

this makes more sense. btw is it ok if i crossposted your takedown of that six-point plan to improve the subway from the LAN thread? it's a good read

go nuts, though I didn't really consider it a take down. I thought I tried to respond to even handedly.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Make Upstate Depressed Again

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

etalian posted:

Is it not still depressed? :smith:

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

etalian posted:

it's been depressed since the decay of the rust belt, my friend. binghamton is a double whammy- everyone knows that IBM's HQ left town, but fewer people know that it's the home of the first Dick's Sporting Goods. the store's still there but the headquarters aren't. i lived in downtown for a year (studied for a master's degree that i never got) near a food pantry and that line was long every morning

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

the good things upstate has going for it are, in order,

Seneca
the rest of the finger lakes
buffalo

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2uN28EJRlA

TheWeepingHorse
Nov 20, 2009

etalian posted:

As somebody (originally) from Schenectady, I assure you that this project has already achieved its goals

Also, I find it hard to believe that even Cuomo believes his own bullshit.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
I know you guys in the capital of finance think that Cuomo is the governor of the Rest of the State, but don't worry. He hasn't done dogshit for us either.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Grondoth posted:

I know you guys in the capital of finance think that Cuomo is the governor of the Rest of the State, but don't worry. He hasn't done dogshit for us either.

He has if your name is Alain Kaloyeros. :shrug:

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Grondoth posted:

There is no New York outside of the metro area, hth

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Grondoth posted:

don't worry we don't think cuomo represents anyone other than himself

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

basically true

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

an all-time classic

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Well at least Jersey wasn't left out...

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Grondoth posted:

not surprising tbh. i don't know what i hate about cuomo more: his ego or his thin skin

i'm confused as to why his approval ratings are in the 50s. in new jersey, christie's approval soured when it was obvious he stopped caring about the day-to-day affairs of his state. cuomo hasn't been seen much in albany since the budget deal for the same reason christie stopped caring. NJ's call is starting to sound pretty appealing, even their wall street crony democratic nominee has a pretty good idea for a state bank to fund infrastructure

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

not surprising tbh. i don't know what i hate about cuomo more: his ego or his thin skin

i'm confused as to why his approval ratings are in the 50s. in new jersey, christie's approval soured when it was obvious he stopped caring about the day-to-day affairs of his state. cuomo hasn't been seen much in albany since the budget deal for the same reason christie stopped caring. NJ's call is starting to sound pretty appealing, even their wall street crony democratic nominee has a pretty good idea for a state bank to fund infrastructure

I wonder how much of Cuomo's popularity is due to his hating DeBlasio which some people habe a pathological hate for. I injure a guy who moved to Japan as he's still hoping DeBlasio gets voted out of office

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Daniel Dromm is my city council member.

Should I be backing someone else in the primary, preparing to throw away a third party vote, or is he okay.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

KomradeX posted:

I wonder how much of Cuomo's popularity is due to his hating DeBlasio which some people habe a pathological hate for.
i can't imagine people outside of westchester and long island really feel one way or another about de blasio. i don't much care for him myself because he's a doofus and has completely abandoned his progressive economic vision for a couple of years now, but for some reason cuomo is obsessed with making sure he gets nothing and likes it

GalacticAcid posted:

Daniel Dromm is my city council member.

Should I be backing someone else in the primary, preparing to throw away a third party vote, or is he okay.
looking at where he represents, i'm not sure how a white guy like him got elected there. other than that i have zero idea about him

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

i can't imagine people outside of westchester and long island really feel one way or another about de blasio. i don't much care for him myself because he's a doofus and has completely abandoned his progressive economic vision for a couple of years now, but for some reason cuomo is obsessed with making sure he gets nothing and likes it

looking at where he represents, i'm not sure how a white guy like him got elected there. other than that i have zero idea about him

From what I can tell he's excellent on LGBT rights and education -- a pretty persistent ally to the teachers union, critic of charter schools / Bloomberg's education policies, proponent of universal Pre-K. Sounds pretty good to me.

Not sure how he is on police brutality or housing policy.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

the insane pettiness of the deblasio-cuomo rivalry is my favorite thing about both of them

TheWeepingHorse
Nov 20, 2009

Dumping on DiBlasio is weirdly outsized cultural signifier. To some people, he symbolizes Dinkins-style liberal fecklessness. He also dares to openly criticize the NYPD, and indeed reforming the NYPD had kinda been his opening salvo as mayor, so that's another thing.

Also Upstate NY is mostly populated by groundhogs

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

GalacticAcid posted:

From what I can tell he's excellent on LGBT rights and education -- a pretty persistent ally to the teachers union, critic of charter schools / Bloomberg's education policies, proponent of universal Pre-K. Sounds pretty good to me.

Not sure how he is on police brutality or housing policy.
bad and worse, respectively. De Blasio is all for broken windows policing (the very definition of the "correlation = causation" fallacy) and i'm not sure what his views on the Right to Know Act are, though Mark-Viverito has more to do with stalling that in City Council. he doesn't even talk a big game against NYPD anymore. to his credit, stop and frisk died under his watch and there's talk about a shift to "community policing" with his new commissioner, but the specifics on the latter have been pretty hazy

housing is worse because he bends over for big developers so that they can put in a small amount of "affordable" housing in their mostly unaffordable buildings. the most visible example of this is the Bedford Union Armory, which he decided to start the land use process in spite of recently spoken opposition by the district's councilwoman Laurie Cumbo and brooklyn borough president Eric Adams- to say nothing of the constant, loud, and longer opposition by assemblywoman Diana Richardson and state senator Jesse Hamilton. given the median income of the neighborhood, about 5% of the housing there would be affordable for people already living there. one co-developer was forced out because of corruption, Carmelo Anthony backed out of supporting it because the proposed recreation center there wouldn't be accessible to the greater community, and it overall stinks like hell, but that's not stopping De Blasio from going forward. he's also all for using Bloomberg-style rezoning in East New York and the South Bronx to bring forth his vision of housing

universal pre-K, sick days for practically everyone working in NYC, NYC ID, and prohibiting credit checks for employment are unabashedly good things that would be great to see everywhere else in the country. not to take away from them, but in the grand scheme of things, those are smaller concerns than policing and housing

get that OUT of my face has issued a correction as of 21:09 on Jun 20, 2017

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

bad and worse, respectively. De Blasio is all for broken windows policing (the very definition of the "correlation = causation" fallacy) and i'm not sure what his views on the Right to Know Act are, though Mark-Viverito has more to do with stalling that in City Council. he doesn't even talk a big game against NYPD anymore

housing is worse because he bends over for big developers so that they can put in a small amount of "affordable" housing in their mostly unaffordable buildings. the most visible example of this is the Bedford Union Armory, which he decided to start the land use process in spite of recently spoken opposition by the district's councilwoman Laurie Cumbo and brooklyn borough president Eric Adams- to say nothing of the constant, loud, and longer opposition by assemblywoman Diana Richardson and state senator Jesse Hamilton. given the median income of the neighborhood, about 5% of the housing there would be affordable for people already living there. one co-developer was forced out because of corruption, Carmelo Anthony backed out of supporting it because the proposed recreation center there wouldn't be accessible to the greater community, and it overall stinks like hell, but that's not stopping De Blasio from going forward. he's also all for using Bloomberg-style rezoning in East New York and the South Bronx to bring forth his vision of housing

universal pre-K, sick days for practically everyone working in NYC, NYC ID, and prohibiting credit checks for employment are unabashedly good things that would be great to see everywhere else in the country. not to take away from them, but in the grand scheme of things, those are smaller concerns than policing and housing

P. Sure that post was about Dromm not BdB?

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

CaptainPsyko posted:

Correct. Still, good and useful post on BdB.

E-Money
Nov 12, 2005

Got Out.

TheWeepingHorse posted:

Dumping on DiBlasio is weirdly outsized cultural signifier. To some people, he symbolizes Dinkins-style liberal fecklessness. He also dares to openly criticize the NYPD, and indeed reforming the NYPD had kinda been his opening salvo as mayor, so that's another thing.

Also Upstate NY is mostly populated by groundhogs

The dude who picked Bill "I love broken windows policing" Bratton as his NYPD commissioner doesn't really rate as a daring critic of the NYPD or a champion of police reform. It was an absolute gut punch to people who voted for a progressive agenda based on real reform.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

CaptainPsyko posted:

lol you're right, i just thought it was about de blasio because they also talked about him in addition to dromm, plus the other two posts about the mayor. i'm still keeping it up because i felt that was a good summary of bdb

dromm seems good. do some research into his opponents, if he has any, but seems like a worthwhile guy to have. my councilmember is lander and he has no one taking him on, which is understandable because he's quite good

E-Money posted:

The dude who picked Bill "I love broken windows policing" Bratton as his NYPD commissioner doesn't really rate as a daring critic of the NYPD or a champion of police reform. It was an absolute gut punch to people who voted for a progressive agenda based on real reform.
bratton's out and his new guy is o'neill, who wants to bring about community policing. the concept sounds good enough on paper but there really hasn't been much coming out in terms of its application here. in the meantime, the old practices are still in place

get that OUT of my face has issued a correction as of 21:14 on Jun 20, 2017

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

I know people thary moved to Jersey years ago and they still hate DeBlasio for being a "progressive Democrat." Sadly how that seems to work someone with a progressive vision gets elected and drops it instantly. I wonder how much of that turn of events with DeBlasio was caused by the NYPD practically threatening to coup him out of office for date suggesting thary maybe the cops could be less racist.

As for Cuomo, I think him having the thinnest skin and a touch of that Clintonite vindictiveness means that he'll never do anything to not oppose DeBlasio just out of pure spite

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

deblasio had a good two-year run of progressive form, which is when all that good stuff i talked about came about. and he came out the winner during that winter when the NYPD was losing its poo poo because pat lynch severely overplayed his hand. i blame his endorsement of hillary after months of not picking a side, that's around the time he became more abashedly neoliberal with housing policy

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

I'm not sure if DeBlasio won that round against the cops. But than again I'm stuck here on Staten Island practically surrounded on all sides by people who hate DeBlasio and love cops so it could be a skewed view. This place is terrible

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

KomradeX posted:

I'm not sure if DeBlasio won that round against the cops. But than again I'm stuck here on Staten Island practically surrounded on all sides by people who hate DeBlasio and love cops so it could be a skewed view. This place is terrible

I heard there's a ferry if you want to leave. :shrug:

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

how did staten island become republican island anyway? did they used to vote for democrats and flip or is it like upstate where they've voted republican since 1860

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I heard there's a ferry if you want to leave. :shrug:

:burger:

Badger of Basra posted:

how did staten island become republican island anyway? did they used to vote for democrats and flip or is it like upstate where they've voted republican since 1860

It's the whitest borough and has the highest rate of home ownership.

After the bridge went up, it was just as valid a white flight destination as Levittown or White Plains or whatever random Jersey town is considered the iconic suburb on that side of the river.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

http://nydn.us/2sRaEA2

Well this is just disgusting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

KomradeX posted:

http://nydn.us/2sRaEA2

Well this is just disgusting

"Your child-molesting backers" should be a talking point next year, I hope.