Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Started playing after a long break. I'm interested in getting in on some MP action.

Are there any must-have mods?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

Libluini posted:

Ah yes, I guess I was always lucky enough to either get the event when I'm still small enough to get everywhere in my empire, or when I already had multiple fleets hanging around. Or both. :v:

The only time I've had this event, I sent my fleet racing out to meet it, only to have my starbase around the planet casually blast the asteroid to smithereens before they even got close. With fairly early-tech weapons, too. Half wondering if you have a year or so to deal with it whether it's not just easier to start building a station. Or do the asteroids get bigger/tougher later in the game?

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate
Is there a mod to keep other empires from sharing my map color? I just started the second game in a row where my neighbor has the exact same color as me, making the map very confusing as our empires ran into each other. Normally sharing my empire's color and a mutual border is an unpardonable sin and the only cure is total extermination, but this time around they formed a defensive pact with an advanced start neighbor who has an overwhelming fleet superiority.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
No, but there are mods that add more possible empire colors to choose from, which will reduce the chance of it being the same as yours.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Sanctum posted:

I took this ring-world, nearly declared war on a tributary for trying to settle it, and realized too late I couldn't even settle it myself because I'm the generic human empire.

Much later, and at the exact same time, I get 2 random events. One is human smugglers meddling with a colony who I need to crack down on, the other is an impending asteroid. I have a big assault force sleeping in the system and some ships so I could easily solve both issues, but I'm thinking the best course of action is to do nothing. Will they die? I hope they die. I want to settle the ringworld not watch some horse-apes and geckos much around on 25-pop gaia worlds.

I've had that event trigger on Sanctuary myself, and had the same thought as you, but it's a trap. What's supposed to happen is that the asteroid hits and the planet turns into a barren world, killing the primitives on it. It may or may not be possible to terraform the resulting barren world (not sure if it's guaranteed to be possible like it is with worlds the Prethoryn infest), but even if it is it means it'll cost a ton of energy to get back to the 25 pop Gaia world that was there.

The other problem, specific to Ringworlds, is that it will (at least last time I checked) turn ringworld segments into barren planets which looks hilarious but probably was not intended.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Libluini posted:

A pop is something like 500 million people abstracted away. "A few pops" are billions of dead.

Also that event always takes nearly a year, how the hell was your fleet not able to make it?

I've had it spawn just outside of ship orbit distance in the past. Given that it was my first big colony that was a pants shitter of a moment.

Also that ascension perk mod that includes expanded options for altering your pops is brilliant. Why yes, I want to make becoming an immortal synthetic being mandatory for all member species of my empire, regardless of their consent! :allears:

Religious civilizations hate me, if you can't tell. :v: At least, until they get absorbed by the Technocracy and hate themselves.

Also, if the AI can pick ascension perks it might be possible to get psionic synthetics this way.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Jun 14, 2017

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Wolfechu posted:

The only time I've had this event, I sent my fleet racing out to meet it, only to have my starbase around the planet casually blast the asteroid to smithereens before they even got close. With fairly early-tech weapons, too. Half wondering if you have a year or so to deal with it whether it's not just easier to start building a station. Or do the asteroids get bigger/tougher later in the game?

The event spawns a specific pre-made ship type, so it should always have the exact same stats. In general, any event that spawns a ship will have a pre-made ship type, usually with the only possible difference being the drive type.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

I like the really long ancient mining drone event thing where you figure out pirates are running the drones and if you pick the "let the pirates come" option they appear a while later and are basically always killed instantly by whatever you have in orbit.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Libluini posted:

Ah yes, I guess I was always lucky enough to either get the event when I'm still small enough to get everywhere in my empire, or when I already had multiple fleets hanging around. Or both. :v:
The one time I didn't have a ship handy (and wasn't attempting passive aggressive genocide) I just built a corvette on my nearest planet.

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004
Greetings Earthling! Do you have any Zoom Boots?
Do you guys like FTL, hyperlanes or wormholes as your preferred method of travel? There appear to be pros and cons to each. Knowing video games though there's one that is a more solid choice than the other.

Wormholes seem good so I picked them for my most recent game but big fleets take forever to open a wormhole. FTL seems good except the cooldown can be very dangerous. Hyperlanes seem good except that it looks like there's some places you can't access.

Also, it sounds to me like you guys regularly stomp on the AI. What's your strategy? Declare war early and often?

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Vasler posted:

Do you guys like FTL, hyperlanes or wormholes as your preferred method of travel? There appear to be pros and cons to each. Knowing video games though there's one that is a more solid choice than the other.

Wormholes seem good so I picked them for my most recent game but big fleets take forever to open a wormhole. FTL seems good except the cooldown can be very dangerous. Hyperlanes seem good except that it looks like there's some places you can't access.

Also, it sounds to me like you guys regularly stomp on the AI. What's your strategy? Declare war early and often?

Hyperlane only makes the game much more strategically interesting, though there is the possibility of being hosed by the rng

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Vasler posted:

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Hyperlane only makes the game much more strategically interesting, though there is the possibility of being hosed by the rng

Setting the game to be hyperlane-only makes the game have terrain, which it otherwise does not.

If you're not playing that way, I think Wormhole is supposed to be the best, but has a ton of initial outlay to get your network built up. I'm curious what other people's wormhole station strategy is - I tend to build one around every star in my/my allies' borders, which usually gets me a good scaffolding to go to war on.

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004

LordSaturn posted:

Setting the game to be hyperlane-only makes the game have terrain, which it otherwise does not.

If you're not playing that way, I think Wormhole is supposed to be the best, but has a ton of initial outlay to get your network built up. I'm curious what other people's wormhole station strategy is - I tend to build one around every star in my/my allies' borders, which usually gets me a good scaffolding to go to war on.

Maybe that's my issue with wormholes - I haven't built enough stations.

I'll build more!

In my game I also just got cruisers - I made a "hangar" cruiser model that I stacked PD on along with the weird Amoeba hangar bay thing and another cruiser model that I stacked longer-range weapons on (mass drivers and plasma, large and medium weapons).

Is it worth sticking cruisers in a second fleet since they have long range weapons? My experience with a fleet blob is that they all basically rush up to the enemy fleet and stop (then get wrecked).

Combat in this game is a very strange beast that is really difficult to figure out.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Again I feel the need to qualify everything I say here with "I'm an EUIV junkie" but hyperlane only does feel best to me.

I think the only way I'll switch is if they make military stations grab people out of their respective warp. It would be cool if I could still reinforce my borders if it pulled nearby fleets into the system to have to fight the station.

Even though it's a speed bump, it's a useful one. Add in the new ship classes mod where you can make stations with 5k fleet power and you can have a speed bump that makes the difference between losing a planet and getting your fleet there in time.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

Still waiting for the EUIV bug to bite me. Mind, it took about a year for CK2, and then suddenly I played nothing else for three months.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Vasler posted:

I'll build more!

In my game I also just got cruisers - I made a "hangar" cruiser model that I stacked PD on along with the weird Amoeba hangar bay thing and another cruiser model that I stacked longer-range weapons on (mass drivers and plasma, large and medium weapons).

Is it worth sticking cruisers in a second fleet since they have long range weapons? My experience with a fleet blob is that they all basically rush up to the enemy fleet and stop (then get wrecked).

Combat in this game is a very strange beast that is really difficult to figure out.

Cruisers charge in, period. Doesn't matter what sections or weapons you give them. Corvettes and Cruisers charge, Destroyers and Battleships stand-off (but don't kite).

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004

DatonKallandor posted:

Cruisers charge in, period. Doesn't matter what sections or weapons you give them. Corvettes and Cruisers charge, Destroyers and Battleships stand-off (but don't kite).

Thanks - so I interpret this as destroyers and battleships in one fleet with corvettes and cruisers in another. Is that correct?

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Vasler posted:

I'll build more!

The main thing to be aware of with wormholes is that each station can only service one fleet at a time, and the larger a fleet is, the longer it takes. So it's a good idea to build redundant stations if you're going to be moving multiple fleets around at once. The other thing to be aware of is that moves can only be to a system with a station, or from a system with a station. So if you want to move a fleet over even one system, if there's no wormhole station present in either the fleet's current system or their destination, it will take them two jumps to do it. This is why it's also a good idea to have stations in every system where you have a colony - so if you need to rush a fleet to their defense, you can travel directly there rather than having to take the long route.

I personally like wormholes the best - they charge up about as quickly as warp but don't have the cooldown time after arriving, and they don't have the hyperlane issue of potentially getting blocked in (technically you can get blocked in with wormholes if you have neighbours that won't let you build stations in their territory and are too big to just jump right over, but wormhole stations have a pretty long range, especially once you upgrade them with tech, so it's less likely).

The Cheshire Cat fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Jun 15, 2017

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Wolfechu posted:

Still waiting for the EUIV bug to bite me. Mind, it took about a year for CK2, and then suddenly I played nothing else for three months.

EU4 is a puzzle game of figuring out the various interlocking alliances to end up at war with both who you want to be at war with and not too many other nations at the same time. Stellaris's endgame can end up similarly if it isn't one or two giant blobs or a federation.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Vasler posted:

Normally, I just leave all options on, but I've also tried several games with hyperlanes-only and warp-only. In the future, I'll probably try a small game with wormholes-only, just to see what a giant clusterfuck that will be.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Vasler posted:

Hyperlane-only is real good, as it gives the map actual chokepoints that can be blockaded or fortified, but hyperlanes are pretty crappy if they're in a game that also allows other types.

Wormholes are very powerful, as being able to hop to a system while skipping everything in between is a huge advantage, but they're also incredibly micromanagey and could use some serious quality-of-life improvements. Large fleets are slow to move, but if you have two wormholes in the same system, you can move the fleet faster by splitting it into two and moving them separately.

Warp: :geno:

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

I wish I could get hyperlanes, but with a researchable more-expensive wormhole tech so that I could build them as shortcuts.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Main Paineframe posted:

Hyperlane-only is real good, as it gives the map actual chokepoints that can be blockaded or fortified

This is why hyperlane-only sucks. Be prepared to be stuck in your starting system as you get funneled into a small space due to enemy borders.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Enola Gay-For-Pay posted:

I wish I could get hyperlanes, but with a researchable more-expensive wormhole tech so that I could build them as shortcuts.

This would be phenominal, as it is Wormhole's too much of a pain in the rear end, especially since I like to build a couple science ships and let them automate across the galaxy. I usually use hyperlanes just because there's less cool down and it's easier to access other galaxy arms early on

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

hi what's the best weapon combo. is it still plasma + kinetic or whatever

also what's the news on new features/expansions

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

WampaLord posted:

This is why hyperlane-only sucks. Be prepared to be stuck in your starting system as you get funneled into a small space due to enemy borders.
In SotS the hyperlane tech also allowed you to slowboat when hyperlane wasn't an option, or even force a slowboat trip to arrive from an unexpected angle.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
New dev diary:

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/stellaris-dev-diary-73-the-%C4%8Capek-update.1029455/

More tweaks to habitability and terraforming, which feels really positive. More differentiation between world types helps make it more of a significant choice at species creation.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Aethernet posted:

New dev diary:

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/stellaris-dev-diary-73-the-%C4%8Capek-update.1029455/

More tweaks to habitability and terraforming, which feels really positive. More differentiation between world types helps make it more of a significant choice at species creation.
I'd like to see less, but more meaningful deposits. A few twos and threes rather than a lot of ones and twos.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

quote:

Wet Climate planets (Continental, Ocean, Tropical) are more likely to generate food and society research deposits.
Frozen Climate planets (Arctic, Tundra, Alpine) are more likely to generate mineral and engineering research deposits.
Dry Climate planets (Desert, Arid, Savanna) are more likely to generate energy and physics research deposits.
Gaia planets are more likely to generate mixed deposits and strategic resources.

I like the idea here but I'm concerned because food seems a lot less important than minerals or energy, which leads to a pretty clear suboptimal habitability type. Not the end of the world, just a thing.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

So I conquered one of my neighbors and made them a tributary, and then they went and popped a colony down near a fallen empire, which keeps declaring war on me and sending their giant death fleet straight at my homeworld. I've just surrendered immediately each time because their fleet is something like 5x the strength of mine, but they declare again basically as soon as the truce period ends. I can deal with the humiliation penalty to happiness, but having my leader assassinated every few years when I surrender is eating up way too much influence.

What are my options here?

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Hulk Krogan posted:

So I conquered one of my neighbors and made them a tributary, and then they went and popped a colony down near a fallen empire, which keeps declaring war on me and sending their giant death fleet straight at my homeworld. I've just surrendered immediately each time because their fleet is something like 5x the strength of mine, but they declare again basically as soon as the truce period ends. I can deal with the humiliation penalty to happiness, but having my leader assassinated every few years when I surrender is eating up way too much influence.

What are my options here?

Can you release tributaries? I generally just take over planets so I'm not actually sure. If you can, throw them to the wolves and let the FE sort it out :v:

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Can you not just release the tributary and leave them to fend for themselves? Sounds like they're more trouble than they're worth.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
uh is the patch out? all my mods just erase err I mean turn red D:

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Didn't even think of releasing them. Derp. :v:

Thanks!

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Tributaries own. All the benefits of a sector (minerals, energy), but none of the drawbacks (slow unity, research).

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Isn't there an option to stop guaranteeing the independence of tributaries?

edit: yerp

quote:

Neither the overlord nor the Tributary have any obligation to help one another when attacked or attacking and the tributary is free to expand and conquer. If this state is acquired via warfare, a cost free Guarantee of Independence is signed with the Tributary. However this Guarantee can be revoked at any time with the usual penalties.

So just revoke the guarantee and the FE will stop declaring on you

hope and vaseline fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Jun 15, 2017

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
I'm having some weird bugs with robots and I'm not sure if this is a new thing or not since I only started playing again recently. For one thing, I can't find the button to disassemble them - I remember it just being on the pop info where the "purge" button used to be, but since that's gone I don't know how to individually remove robots anymore.

Also, the egalitarian faction has a huge happiness penalty for "species-wide slavery" when robotics laws are set to servitude. This makes sense for synths, but they also get the penalty for pre-sentient robots which I'm pretty sure is a bug.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Aethernet posted:

New dev diary:

Honestly, most of these changes sound really bad to me. It feels like they're balancing planet availability entirely around a mid-to-late-game empire in a big elliptical galaxy that happened to spawn in a good area with a lot of breathing room before they ran into other empires. It's already easy enough to end up in a fairly limited starting position, and halving the number of habitable planets will only make that worse. Meanwhile, allowing low-habitability planets to be colonized with major productivity penalties won't help the underdogs or make planets feel special, it'll just help well-performing empires snowball in the early game.

As for changing deposits, all that really does is introduce a balance headache. The different resource types aren't even close to equally valuable, particularly in the early-game where deposits actually matter. Besides, I don't even like deposits on a conceptual level in this game, since all they really do is penalize you for developing the planet the way you want rather than the way the RNG dictates that you should. If they want to make planets feel special, make deposits work with other building types rather than just one and make planetary modifiers more common, instead of just making planets less available.

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010

Main Paineframe posted:

Honestly, most of these changes sound really bad to me. It feels like they're balancing planet availability entirely around a mid-to-late-game empire in a big elliptical galaxy that happened to spawn in a good area with a lot of breathing room before they ran into other empires. It's already easy enough to end up in a fairly limited starting position, and halving the number of habitable planets will only make that worse. Meanwhile, allowing low-habitability planets to be colonized with major productivity penalties won't help the underdogs or make planets feel special, it'll just help well-performing empires snowball in the early game.

As for changing deposits, all that really does is introduce a balance headache. The different resource types aren't even close to equally valuable, particularly in the early-game where deposits actually matter. Besides, I don't even like deposits on a conceptual level in this game, since all they really do is penalize you for developing the planet the way you want rather than the way the RNG dictates that you should. If they want to make planets feel special, make deposits work with other building types rather than just one and make planetary modifiers more common, instead of just making planets less available.

Yeah, I agree with this. I'm really not looking forward to AI empires flipping me off by colonising lovely 20% habitability worlds next to my borders. I'm having flashbacks to Civ AI constantly settling cities which have no value to them but are in extremely irritating positions for the player.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Main Paineframe posted:

There's a habitable planets slider if you want more habitable planets. I also don't think you're accounting for the fact that 80% of planets will be colonizable from get-go in terms of border expansion.

• Locked thread