Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Tom Perez B/K/M?
This poll is closed.
B 77 25.50%
K 160 52.98%
M 65 21.52%
Total: 229 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

VitalSigns posted:

The prison system was the means by which black people were reenslaved and put to work on the same slave plantations from which they had been recently liberated.

Don't forget Charlize Theron

No, I didn't, you shitbag. But I enjoy reading your posts in the troglodyte grunting that the Afrikaans accent produces in English. Anyways, I guess there's nothing wrong, to you, to believe people are property, since forced labor that treats people as property and forced labor that doesn't are equal in your eyes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Imagine being so bad at campaigning that your entire campaign forgot to read your opponent's book where they admitted to owning slaves.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Clinton had house slaves, and the best defences offered is 'well technically they weren't bought'. She attributes the behaviour of her black servants as being the result of an inferior 'emotional' intellect, and people like JC gobble it up, all the while claiming how non-racist they are. People who have made a habit of calling others racist on message boards, often incorrectly and melting down in the process, try to excuse both.

Welcome to year 1 of the era of Trump.

rudatron fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Jun 15, 2017

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

Honestly I think this has been going on for so many pages you're just slapping each other and no one knows what the gently caress is going on anymore.

This is the greatest example of the circular firing squad I have ever seen.

It's pretty obvious what's going on. What's going on is that most Bernie voters are unable to think in their own terms, and can only approximate thinking by reposting articles.

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

VitalSigns posted:

The prison system was the means by which black people were reenslaved and put to work on the same slave plantations from which they had been recently liberated.

so I get that you just read michelle alexander's the new jim crow and are trying to score woke points but perhaps you should read up on the atrocities of the american system of chattel slavery or hell, reread the new jim crow and compare the two

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Honestly I think this has been going on for so many pages you're just slapping each other and no one knows what the gently caress is going on anymore.

This is the greatest example of the circular firing squad I have ever seen.
Its a little worse than that. People like b5 and stone cold only ever post here to do exactly what they're doing right now - its an intentional tactic on thier part to shut down the conversation.

I liked it when this thread was posting cool articles on dem politics I might have missed. But those 2 keep doing this routine of theirs, and the mods do nothing.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

stone cold posted:

so I get that you just read michelle alexander's the new jim crow and are trying to score woke points but perhaps you should read up on the atrocities of the american system of chattel slavery or hell, reread the new jim crow and compare the two

Oh is that it? I didn't recognize it because Michelle Alexander didn't say that chattel slavery, Jim Crow, and the American prison system were identical, so I guess that's the major bernout contribution to studies of race- that the three are all identical, nothing matters, etc.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

rudatron posted:

Its a little worse than that. People like b5 and stone cold only ever post here to do exactly what they're doing right now - its an intentional tactic on thier part to shut down the conversation.

I liked it when this thread was posting cool articles on dem politics I might have missed. But those 2 keep doing this routine of theirs, and the mods do nothing.

Learn how to use an RSS feed.

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

rudatron posted:

intentional tactic....like defining words that you don't get

whooops

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Brainiac Five posted:

No, I didn't, you shitbag. But I enjoy reading your posts in the troglodyte grunting that the Afrikaans accent produces in English.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jNJVMJH5OhI

Brainiac Five posted:

Anyways, I guess there's nothing wrong, to you, to believe people are property, since forced labor that treats people as property and forced labor that doesn't are equal in your eyes.

stone cold posted:

The forced labor system America created after emancipation was deliberately formulated to approximate, as closely they could get away with, the former condition of African Americans. The fact that they did not entirely succeed, while being a material factor ever so slightly in favor of the former slaves, is not a moral factor in favor of that system's creators, administrators, or defenders.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Gosh, if only the stellar conversation of hyperventilating about random tweets and creeping towards suicidal ideation, punctuated by posts about guillotining bankers, who are the only members of the bourgeoisie, wasn't interrupted by people daring to dissent from the thread consensus.

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

VitalSigns posted:

The forced labor system America created after emancipation was deliberately formulated to approximate, as closely they could get away with, the former condition of African Americans. The fact that they did not entirely succeed, while being a material factor ever so slightly in favor of the former slaves, is not a moral factor in favor of that system's creators, administrators, or defenders.

hey

hey

get this, maybe the people pointing out that you're glossing over the atrocities of chattel slavery and trying to actually teach you things about how in modern human slavery and trafficking there is a different thing, also bad going on

also don't like slavery, in all its forms

whoaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhh

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Brainiac Five posted:

Frankly, the ANC should have exterminated the white population of South Africa from this Earth. Neill Blomkamp and Die Antwoord and Sharlto Copley are small prices to pay against the criminality that has ensued from letting them live.

The Traitor Steve Nash shall burn at the stake for his sins in committing apartheid against the True People of South Africa and also for failing to defeat the wicked San Antonio Spurs and deliver the birthright NBA Championship to the Blessed people of Phoenix.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

VitalSigns posted:

Who ever said the American prison system was good? But I like you defending the disgusting verbal glop your deformed embrasure produces. Anyways, now that you've gotten down to reading more than the cover blurb for The New Jim Crow, maybe you could retract some of the stuff you said earlier and I'll apologize for blowing up at you and things can pretend to be a conversation between two people instead of a cowardly little Boer gently caress spitting on someone from the safety of a balcony.

stone cold posted:

hey

hey

get this, maybe the people pointing out that you're glossing over the atrocities of chattel slavery and trying to actually teach you things about how in modern human slavery and trafficking there is a different thing, also bad going on

whoaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhh

Actually if you disagree with a Bernie voter you're legally obligated to join the Ku Klux Klan, it's ordained by God.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Brainiac Five posted:

The argument on display here is that there's nothing wrong with treating people as objects, as things. Because that is a major distinction between chattel slavery and prison labor and yet the two are claimed to be identical.

Which post were they claimed to be identical in, I only recall ever seeing a claim of direct descent from chattel slavery.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

reignonyourparade posted:

Which post were they claimed to be identical in, I only recall ever seeing a claim of direct descent from chattel slavery.

Oh, you're gonna play this game, then. gently caress you. Either you're disingenuous or you're really loving stupid, and in either case you should gently caress off.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Brainiac Five posted:

Who ever said the American prison system was good? But I like you defending the disgusting verbal glop your deformed embrasure produces. Anyways, now that you've gotten down to reading more than the cover blurb for The New Jim Crow, maybe you could retract some of the stuff you said earlier and I'll apologize for blowing up at you and things can pretend to be a conversation between two people instead of a cowardly little Boer gently caress spitting on someone from the safety of a balcony.

I'm sorry I called you Brainworms earlier, that was bad to do and wasn't conducive to debate and/or discussion.

stone cold posted:

hey

hey

whoaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhh

I never said that human trafficking isn't going on or that it isn't bad. It was brought up as a whataboutist distraction when I criticized forced prison labor and a politician who told a heartwarming little story about how she learned to love having black slaves to mop the floors.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

VitalSigns posted:

I'm sorry I called you Brainworms earlier, that was bad to do and wasn't conducive to debate and/or discussion.

I never said that human trafficking isn't going on or that it isn't bad. It was brought up as a whataboutist distraction when I criticized forced prison labor and a politician who told a heartwarming little story about how she learned to love having black slaves to mop the floors.

No, it wasn't brought up until stone cold did so, because she wanted to make a point about how your arguments over all forms of forced labor being the same are offensive, or extremely naive at best. Unless someone did a while back, which it would be strange to focus on.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Brainiac Five posted:

It's pretty obvious what's going on. What's going on is that most Bernie voters are unable to think in their own terms, and can only approximate thinking by reposting articles.

Mmmm no. What's obvious to someone who isn't involved in this intense conversation is it's just people furiously posting because they're in too deep and they can't back out now. It's essentially public masturbation and you're staring into each others' eyes daring the other to finish first.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
400 new posts what happ...oh

Why do I even have to ask

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Mmmm no. What's obvious to someone who isn't involved in this intense conversation is it's just people furiously posting because they're in too deep and they can't back out now. It's essentially public masturbation and you're staring into each others' eyes daring the other to finish first.

What's obvious to me is that you've developed the stage of irony poisoning where you sincerely believe that nothing really matters. You should probably moderate your intake so you back out of the "living in Bohemian Rhapsody" phase and back down to more sustainable levels.

EugeneJ posted:

400 new posts what happ...oh

Why do I even have to ask

gently caress off, Nazi.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Brainiac Five posted:

What's obvious to me is that you've developed the stage of irony poisoning where you sincerely believe that nothing really matters. You should probably moderate your intake so you back out of the "living in Bohemian Rhapsody" phase and back down to more sustainable levels.

Lots of things matter. Nothing that happened in this thread in the last 5 pages does. Normally it'd be a 5/10, but I think you get a 7/10 for keeping it up so long.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
^^Yeah I have to tip my hat to B5 for the sheer quantity of trolling he pulls off. The man's a shitposting machine that neither works nor stops to sleep. :cheers:

rudatron posted:

Welcome to year 1 of the era of Trump.

Only seven more to go! :suicide:

readingatwork fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Jun 15, 2017

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

rudatron posted:

Its a little worse than that. People like b5 and stone cold only ever post here to do exactly what they're doing right now - its an intentional tactic on their part to shut down the conversation.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Brainiac Five posted:

No, it wasn't brought up until stone cold did so, because she wanted to make a point about how your arguments over all forms of forced labor being the same are offensive, or extremely naive at best. Unless someone did a while back, which it would be strange to focus on.

The whataboutism began immediately with "whatabout FDR" but I'm glad we can agree that it is irrelevant, and we can criticize modern prison slavery that persists in the mold of antebellum plantation slavery and criticize its proponents without waffling on the issue with "but other politicians have done worse" and "but it's not quite the same as chattel slavery in every detail" and "but prison slaves really do have low emotional intelligence, probably" and other distractions by party loyalists that just cynically muddy the waters around an abhorrent institution that too many Democratic politicians are still sadly mute on or tepidly in favor of.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Normally it'd be a 5/10, but I think you get a 7/10 for keeping it up so long.

D&D - the only place where B5 can keep it up

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

EugeneJ posted:

D&D - the only place where B5 can keep it up

:vince:

But seriously, folks, I get the impression that not everyone here understands that B5/Effectronica is trolling. Because he is.

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!
I sometimes can't help myself if I've got nothing else going on.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Majorian posted:

But seriously, folks, I get the impression that not everyone here understands that B5/Effectronica is trolling. Because he is.

Maybe but in this case his repurposed right-wing talking points arguments are identical to those that conservative Democrats JC and stone cold were making in earnest*, and they were backing him up so if it is trolling it is indistinguishable from what clintonistas actually believe.

*well maybe, who knows with them, going so far down the rabbit hole of devotion to the status quo they're channeling Sean Hannity could be a brilliant piece of performance art, but it's also entirely in character for liberals so :shrug:

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Augustus Octavius owned slaves, so why shouldn't a democratically elected official in 1980s? I don't see the difference.

Majorian posted:

:vince:

Like, at some point even a troll has invested so much time into spewing bullshit that he becomes essentially sincere. It's impossible to spend so much time and effort on something without becoming the thing you are pretending to be. And I'm convinced he's "trolling" only insomuch that he's willing to pretend to roll with the punches and throw around insults when cornered, the core of his posting seems mighty sincere, and you can see he literally starts posting the second his probations run out with full steam of rage already built up and talking points already prepared.

steinrokkan fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Jun 15, 2017

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
I'd be more sympathetic to the argument that Eff is just a master troll, if he didn't so often end up blowing up himself.

I don't think there is a single post of his in this thread that isn't the same, hyper-ventilating paranoid neuroticism that makes attempts at communication a non-starter.

Like let's get real here: this thread gets periodically closed from getting poo poo up, but it's not the thread itself that's bad. It's one guy - one loving guy - and maybe a couple of other sycophants, pulling the same poo poo again and again. Latching onto a turn of phrase, or jumping to really absurd conclusions, screeching about their own victimization while making repeated threats of violence against other posters, etc.

It's not anything special, it's not masterclass trolling, it's standard absuvie behavior - behavior that by anyone else, might I add, would result in permabans. Yet whenever mods intervene, it's with a probation, oh but also they probate the poor schmuck Effectronica drags down with them.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

rudatron posted:

I'd be more sympathetic to the argument that Eff is just a master troll, if he didn't so often end up blowing up himself.

I don't think there is a single post of his in this thread that isn't the same, hyper-ventilating paranoid neuroticism that makes attempts at communication a non-starter.

Like let's get real here: this thread gets periodically closed from getting poo poo up, but it's not the thread itself that's bad. It's one guy - one loving guy - and maybe a couple of other sycophants, pulling the same poo poo again and again. Latching onto a turn of phrase, or jumping to really absurd conclusions, screeching about their own victimization while making repeated threats of violence against other posters, etc.

It's not anything special, it's not masterclass trolling, it's standard absuvie behavior - behavior that by anyone else, might I add, would result in permabans. Yet whenever mods intervene, it's with a probation, oh but also they probate the poor schmuck Effectronica drags down with them.

take your whining elsewhere. the issue is being handled and i have given you a helpful hint in the quoted text above

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
edit: fine

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Brainiac Five posting about the movie Logan posted:

Okay, so we're back to you being ashamed about your belief that violence is inherently glamorous, but not enough to actually keep quiet about it. I guess those erections must be awkward when you're watching Terror Train or The Burning or whatever.

Anyways, whining like the doughfaced little marsh goblin you are about people psychoanalyzing you and then turning around and psychoanalyzing them is a well-known tactic used by serial domestic abusers, liberals, and people who buy theater candy.

Now I will bravely piss straight into the wind. The argument I am making is that your argument is politically nonsense, that it relies on a totalitarian view of the arts, and that it is derived from placing art within a straitjacket and concluding the art is bad if it doesn't fit.

Your response, after dragging it out of your rotted remains of a brain, has been to assume that I must secretly have the same beliefs and aims as you, adding one more piece to the mountain of evidence that you are incapable of dialogue, but only can monologue at people. And of course, this is incompatible with discussing a movie, or even the weather.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

b5 is dead so you don't need to post about him anymore

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

Trabisnikof posted:

Imagine being so bad at campaigning that your entire campaign forgot to read your opponent's book where they admitted to owning slaves.
This is frankly the weirdest part to me. I get why Trump can't directly attack Clinton on this, but surely some Trump supporters out there were smart enough to read the book and run a false flag attack from the left on Clinton? How am I just reading this post-election?

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

twodot posted:

This is frankly the weirdest part to me. I get why Trump can't directly attack Clinton on this, but surely some Trump supporters out there were smart enough to read the book and run a false flag attack from the left on Clinton? How am I just reading this post-election?
Nobody who voted for Clinton was going to be turned off by the stunning revelation that a rich old white lady from Arkansas was racist

Also "super predators"

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Nobody who voted for Clinton was going to be turned off by the stunning revelation that a rich old white lady from Arkansas was racist

Also "super predators"
I mean there's being racist, and then there's personally benefiting on a daily basis from the institution of prison labor while describing the people who maintain your household as fundamentally flawed with low emotional intelligence. I don't think many Clinton voters were going to be turned off by the location of her e-mail server, but it certainly didn't stop people from attacking her over it.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Brainiac Five posted:

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Thanks R. Guyovich and FactsAreUseless, you are great!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ornedan
Nov 4, 2009

Cybernetic Crumb

twodot posted:

Bernie's campaign apparently didn't spot it either. Balls dropped all around.

• Locked thread