Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

xzzy posted:

In a world struggling to figure out how to deal with an ever rising demand for more power without cooking the planet to death, what we really need is windows that require electricity to run.

Cool tech, but impractical.

It's just a switchable LCD film. Compared to the electricity required to roll down a power window, it's minuscule. One site quoted 3-4W per sq m. I don't even think that's continuous, just what's required to keep the tint on full.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

But what if you could control the gradient and how far down it goes? Would be kinda nice to be able to replace traditional sun visors with something that actually works. I'm sure it would also be hella expensive.

I just wish someone to create a sunvisor that slides down from the headliner in rails at the A-pillars, for a gapless visor from side to side. It could even have separate layers with different opaqueness.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

xzzy posted:

In a world struggling to figure out how to deal with an ever rising demand for more power without cooking the planet to death, what we really need is windows that require electricity to run.

Cool tech, but impractical.

There’s a reason digital watches can last a decade on a battery the size of a dime and many calculators are powered by indoor light falling onto a tiny solar cell.

LCDs use fuckall power.

Your car alarm’s blinking LED probably uses more energy.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Plus if it helps reduce the energy required to cool the vehicle with AC, you'd probably come out ahead overall

Modus Man
Jun 8, 2004

Soiled Meat

mobby_6kl posted:

Plus if it helps reduce the energy required to cool the vehicle with AC, you'd probably come out ahead overall

I wonder if it would have any effect on the amount of heat transferred through the glass?

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Apparently it can block up to 98% of UV and solar heat...

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Apparently it can block up to 98% of UV and solar heat...

Holy gently caress sign me up. That poo poo would sell like hotcakes in Florida.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Holy gently caress sign me up. That poo poo would sell like hotcakes in Florida.

Hells yeah, also make a tracking tint circle that follows the blinding sun flowing right into my face in the morning and at dusk. Just a tinted circle that blocks the sun specifically. Who needs a whole visor?

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

This is the site I found the claim on: http://www.smarttint.com/

Definitely interesting if it's true.

KakerMix posted:

Hells yeah, also make a tracking tint circle that follows the blinding sun flowing right into my face in the morning and at dusk. Just a tinted circle that blocks the sun specifically. Who needs a whole visor?

That would be next level.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Electronic tint should be a feature that's only active when the car is off. It would be clear when the vehicle is on and use regular tint for driving. Also make it's natural state clear if not already.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

um excuse me posted:

Electronic tint should be a feature that's only active when the car is off. It would be clear when the vehicle is on and use regular tint for driving. Also make it's natural state clear if not already.

I assume that you don't live in a sunny state or something?

This changeable tint would be great for people who live in places like Arizona where tint is basically mandatory to survive (ok, not really, but it's seriously a huge improvement to have tinted windows), but drive to places where tint isn't legal (like Baja California). It would be awesome to be able to 'untint' the windows as I crossed the border so I didn't have to worry about getting hassled by the policia there for something that's perfectly legal at home.

SPORK08
Sep 29, 2003
wagon-core

The Locator posted:

It would be awesome to be able to 'untint' the windows as I crossed the border so I didn't have to worry about getting hassled by the policia there for something that's perfectly legal at home.

At least here in NY if it's legal where the vehicle is registered it doesn't matter where you are.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

SPORK08 posted:

At least here in NY if it's legal where the vehicle is registered it doesn't matter where you are.

Mexico is a different country and they don't necessarily respect our laws, especially when the policia officer is really just looking for an excuse to extort some $$ from the gringo.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

The Locator posted:

I assume that you don't live in a sunny state or something?

This changeable tint would be great for people who live in places like Arizona where tint is basically mandatory to survive (ok, not really, but it's seriously a huge improvement to have tinted windows), but drive to places where tint isn't legal (like Baja California). It would be awesome to be able to 'untint' the windows as I crossed the border so I didn't have to worry about getting hassled by the policia there for something that's perfectly legal at home.

The policia will just find another pretext.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
It would be cool for like an RV/camper type deal too.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

The real high end stuff has started to roll in for the Mecum Monterey auction.

V16 Cadillac:
https://www.mecum.com/lots/CA0817-300129/1930-cadillac-series-452-v-16-coupe/

I think this color combination is called "HOLY gently caress WHY IS IT SO ORANGE"
https://www.mecum.com/lots/CA0817-300009/1974-ford-pinto-squire-wagon/

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

jamal posted:

It would be cool for like an RV/camper type deal too.

Or public toilets

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Powershift posted:

The real high end stuff has started to roll in for the Mecum Monterey auction.

V16 Cadillac:
https://www.mecum.com/lots/CA0817-300129/1930-cadillac-series-452-v-16-coupe/

I think this color combination is called "HOLY gently caress WHY IS IT SO ORANGE"

Right thread, and "Wrong thread, sort of" respectively. It is a Pinto after all.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

iospace posted:

Right thread, and "Wrong thread, sort of" respectively. It is a Pinto after all.

Yeah, but look how orange it is.

How could something that orange possibly be bad?

You probably get vitamin C from driving it.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Powershift posted:

"It's not too orange, it's not too orange!!", i continue to insist as i slowly shrink and transform into a trump

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

um excuse me posted:

Yeah, it seems to be the problem with this particular tint, is it isn't so much a tint, as an adjustable privacy film. If it actually just changed light transmission rather than getting foggier, that would be more useful for automotive applications.

And no, the natural state is "fogged", per the SmartTint website. It's clear when powered.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Powershift posted:

Counterpoint: the MCL32.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

iospace posted:

Counterpoint: the MCL32.

If it had Nando's Indy livery it would have a point by now :colbert:

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Platystemon posted:

The policia will just find another pretext.

True if you are already stopped, but tint gives them a reason to stop you, and it's not uncommon at all to be told to remove the tint right there on the spot of pay the 'xxx' fine (variable depending on how much they think you have). Being able to just have the windows be magically clear when crossing the border would be pretty awesome.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Powershift posted:

If it had Nando's Indy livery it would have a point by now :colbert:

True, that was an awesome orange color, though I kept on getting him and RHR mixed up a lot when they were in the distance.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

iospace posted:

It's an orange 2 door wagon, with wood siding and 5-slot mags. It is most certainly not in the wrong thread, not even sort of. :colbert:

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Q_res posted:

It's an orange 2 door wagon, with wood siding and 5-slot mags. It is most certainly not in the wrong thread, not even sort of. :colbert:

Needs a 460 with a tunnel ram, but otherwise ya, it's nearly perfect.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Q_res posted:

It needs to be this:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Mister Kingdom posted:

It needs to be this:

That is so 70s it hurts.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Powershift posted:

God this is fantastic in a wholly unironic way.

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Mister Kingdom posted:

It needs to be this:

God, the things I would do for a Pinto Cruisin' Wagon :swoon:

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Powershift posted:

It's one of few cars that you can buy which not matter how dorky you are, you become cool simply sitting in it.

Slack3r
Feb 20, 2004
Found this yesterday whilst getting propane for the grill..

1983 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L 4x2x4.

Yep. It's very rust-free. Checked underneath and still solid. No rust on the frame and the floorboards are clean. Odd.

Should I?

Interior..

Mighty 4.2 I6...

Slack3r fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Jun 17, 2017

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
For how much?

Slack3r
Feb 20, 2004

kimbo305 posted:

For how much?

1500 bones?

Trans rebuilt in 2014 (receipt), complete A/C replace in 2015 (recpt), new brakes and hardware 2015, new front bearings 2016. Amzoil dealer added remote filter setup and high zinc syn since 2008. Never seen snow. Has new front and rear springs in garage. Also has OEM boxed misc parts in the deal. New rubber last year too.

Slack3r fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Jun 16, 2017

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
I would if I had some offroading around me to try it out on. If it drives like the Spirit I drove, it's just not that exciting of a car on the road.

Slack3r
Feb 20, 2004

kimbo305 posted:

I would if I had some offroading around me to try it out on. If it drives like the Spirit I drove, it's just not that exciting of a car on the road.

Ya.. It's the HEIGHT of Detroit Malaise for sure. Thought these were the THING when I was a kid. Seen them pop up once in a while for 4K or so for OK ones. Something for the 4th of July parade and to clean up mostly.

stone soup
Jul 8, 2004
At least around the MN metro area prices on the eagles have been unrealistic. If I could get one on the cheap, like that car, I would roller it white with black trim pledge the faux-woodgrain to a shine, flares, knobby tires, slight lift & modern 4.0l---but everyone in this area is looking $2500+ for their Eagle & it's ripped up, nasty dank interior with a sun faded & rusty body. It's not worth it at the prices around here.

That's a good deal, imo.

stone soup fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Jun 16, 2017

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Slack3r posted:

Ya.. It's the HEIGHT of Detroit Malaise for sure. Thought these were the THING when I was a kid. Seen them pop up once in a while for 4K or so for OK ones. Something for the 4th of July parade and to clean up mostly.

Buy it immediately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Buy it immediately.