Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
I actually agree with eames here, someone should start a bitcoin thread so we don't torture a formerly GPU-tech-focused thread with buttcoin tech support/theory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Paul MaudDib posted:

Yep, I'm a walking loving billboard for Microcenter because I love talking tech stuff. Being able to drive to a computer store and buy what you need and put the PC together right then at non-extortionary prices is p. amazing.

On this note: I returned my Z170 motherboard that wouldn't boot my 7100 even after BIOS flash. The CPU installation went perfectly so apparently I bent one single pin getting it out of the socket and didn't notice till I got to the store (gently caress :smith:). Microcenter took it back and exchanged it for a NIB Z270 board with a note on my receipt not to exchange it again. I actually felt terrible about this even with how much I frequent them, it was 100% my fault. :smith:

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Jun 15, 2017

Col.Kiwi
Dec 28, 2004
And the grave digger puts on the forceps...

Truga posted:

I imagine a good percentage of the buttcoin community is drug dealers and money launderers, but you can say that about literally any currency. Just don't use shady regulation evading exchanges and you'll be fine. Bitstamp has been really good to me even when I cashed out my big bitcoin mining haul.
Yeah all the online "darknet" markets where people sell drugs do everything in BTC or other cryptocoins because it lets you transfer money in a way that is anonymous and basically untraceable. It's probably a big chunk of the total cryptocurrency economy because recreational drugs are immensely popular and there are a ton of online markets for that sort of thing these days

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

sausage king of Chicago posted:

So if you were to build a mining rig, the best GPU for that is RX 580? But, those are what everyone is snatching up, so there price is skyrocketing and they aren't in stock anywhere? Is that right?

Just browsing over this thread has made me interested in doing something like that. Are there any other cards that people are grabbing for this kind of thing? I don't know much about video cards so I don't know why this one in particular is better than any other

1060s and 1070s are fine too. As are 290s/390s, which is why a 5 year old GPU design is reselling for pretty drat close to their prices new.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Paul MaudDib posted:

I actually agree with eames here, someone should start a bitcoin thread so we don't torture a formerly GPU-tech-focused thread with buttcoin tech support/theory.

As long as it stays out of GBS, those threads were...interesting.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Paul MaudDib posted:

I agree but only for discussion of the practical side of things. How to set up a rig, what coin/pool is currently best to mine. Not its value as a currency or as an investment. Everyone should agree to point and laugh at the guy who "invests" 10k on a setup that needs to mine for 100 days straight before it breaks even assuming the value doesnt go down.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Fauxtool posted:

I agree but only for discussion of the practical side of things. How to set up a rig, what coin/pool is currently best to mine. Not its value as a currency or as an investment. Everyone should agree to point and laugh at the guy who "invests" 10k on a setup that needs to mine for 100 days straight before it breaks even assuming the value doesnt go down.

Agreed. For me it's nothing more than a "I've got all this hardware anyways and my power is cheap, might as well pay my rent with it."

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
If you get a card people are buying up you would be better to resell the loving card and buy the alt coin of your dreams with the profits than to mine them.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Kazinsal posted:

Agreed. For me it's nothing more than a "I've got all this hardware anyways and my power is cheap, might as well pay my rent with it."
late stage gpu enthusiast syndrome: using your gpus to sell buttmining hours because you realize you never actually play games with them

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

late stage gpu enthusiast syndrome: using your gpus to sell buttmining hours because you realize you never actually play games with them

Hello, mirror of truth.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH

MaxxBot posted:

One interesting quirk with the mining is that some of the algorithms run faster on the GTX 1070 than they do on the 1080 because the latency characteristics of GDDR5 suit them better than those of GDDR5X. I'd like a better explanation of why that is the case.

Noob question: How much vram does mining actually use? (Is more better?)

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

This hurts because it's true 😭

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

This hurts because it's true 😭

Guilty as charged.

nerdrum
Aug 17, 2007

where am I

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

1080 Ti in a designer ITX case to have chrome open with 4 tabs and light pushbullet use. I should seriously just buy a laptop.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
I went 34-inch ultrawide mostly to maximize how many chrome tabs I could have open and still see the favicons.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

Paul MaudDib posted:

As someone whose master's thesis was a GPGPU program, it's probably that the algorithm was hand-tuned at the bottom of the loop with C or assembly that produces optimal access patterns on GDDR5. It's perfectly timed (potentially using Undefined Behavior like not using warp-level syncs) so that your read comes in just as you need it, and GDDR5X triggers a slightly different routine in the microcode that has very subtly different timing (remember: unlike GDDR5 it's quad-pumped per clock), and because the memory access is blocking the scheduler is suddenly sleeping the warp and resuming something else in. This screws up the meticulously hand-timed code, because unfortunately Undefined Behavior is often the best way to extract the last bit of performance from in GPGPU.

You can trivially test VRAM bandwidth, which is a major limiting factor for eth as far as I know. Of course the cores are faster, that's not it. So it's got to be the scheduler.

Nobody mines with GTX 1080s, if you're a bitlord who's rolling every penny into more RX 580s then who's gonna bother with writing a hand-tuned assembly kernel for a card nobody uses?

Thanks for the explanation, I'm a newly unemployed electrical engineer and I really ought to bridge the gap between my trade and my hobby by doing some GPU programming. Do you have any recommendations for good resources? I have a ton of experience with C but no GPU programming experience.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
I'll start working on the OP for a cryptocurrency thread.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

How many hours a week do ya'll average gaming on your nice high-end GPUs?

I do about 4 on a 1080. I think I'm having a crisis.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

MaxxBot posted:

Thanks for the explanation, I'm a newly unemployed electrical engineer and I really ought to bridge the gap between my trade and my hobby by doing some GPU programming. Do you have any recommendations for good resources? I have a ton of experience with C but no GPU programming experience.

Dr Dobbs CUDA tutorials, and reading through and self-coding the NVIDIA samples in the toolkit with peeks at the solution when you get stuck. edit: I guess Dr Dobbs has gone paywall now.

The Thrust Quick-start manual, which lets you very quickly and easily set up these tests/spikes in a familiar C++ fashion. You can freely intermix raw C (eg array "raw" pointers) or native __device__ functions, and C++-style vector or functor objects - they all work interchangeably for the most part. I have glued these libraries together with CUB (CUDA UnBound) and Random123 effectively in the past, sometimes the default implementation isn't quite the right one.

There is not a super good resource for this other than the CUDA toolkit docs, the samples, etc. I've been meaning to write "babby's first GPU program" for a while now.

edit: Modern GPU

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Jun 15, 2017

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

Average 5-6 hours a week, mostly on sundays

Twin 1080s Ti

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
about 10 on a 1070. I think you game less the more it costs

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Can't justify super high end GPUs anymore. I bought a 6800GT in 2004 for $455 (plus $34 shipping) because I demanded the best experience from Doom 3, a game I anticipated for years and was geared to buy new hardware for.

Then I hated Doom 3.

Then years later I had to sell the card for a fraction of what it ought to be worth even though I was still satisfied with it, because it was AGP and PCIE suddenly ruled the land.

An experience like that teaches lessons.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

Craptacular! posted:

Can't justify super high end GPUs anymore. I bought a 6800GT in 2004 for $455 (plus $34 shipping) because I demanded the best experience from Doom 3, a game I anticipated for years and was geared to buy new hardware for.

Then I hated Doom 3.

Then years later I had to sell the card for a fraction of what it ought to be worth even though I was still satisfied with it, because it was AGP and PCIE suddenly ruled the land.

An experience like that teaches lessons.

Too bad for your wrong opinions on Doom 3 :colbert:

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

CyberPingu posted:

I hear that game was dark, confirm/deny?

I had a 5700 Ultra circa 2004, can't even remember the real name of it anymore.

I'm thinking of pulling the trigger on a 1080 or 1080ti and bitlording on the side now since, hey, free money because nerds!

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
its not free because you dont have the gpu already :smug: If mining is a primary motivation to upgrade, you are well on your way to becoming an unironic bitlord.

If coins keep paying out the way they are it might be the incentive to finally upgrade from my 2500k/1070 pc to a 7700k/1080ti with the a no display 1070 hooked up. I am just looking for excuses to upgrade and this is an almost plausible one. I have been adding into a "new PC" savings for the last 4 years now and the 2500k just refuses to be obsoleted

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Jun 15, 2017

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

tehinternet posted:

I hear that game was dark, confirm/deny?

I had a 5700 Ultra circa 2004, can't even remember the real name of it anymore.

I'm thinking of pulling the trigger on a 1080 or 1080ti and bitlording on the side now since, hey, free money because nerds!

Doom 3 was very dark...but is still a great game. Its not a great "Doom" game. But its a great survival horror game.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

CyberPingu posted:

Doom 3 was very dark...but is still a great game. Its not a great "Doom" game. But its a great survival horror game.

I agree, if it hadn't come out when Half Life 2 came out it would have been better received. Sorry for dragging a 13 year old meme out.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

tehinternet posted:

I agree, if it hadn't come out when Half Life 2 came out it would have been better received. Sorry for dragging a 13 year old meme out.

Eh the "Cant see poo poo captain" is always funny to me

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Seamonster posted:

Noob question: How much vram does mining actually use? (Is more better?)

Most use in the kB or a few MB range, some will go into a couple hundred MB, because they're designed that way on purpose to avoid getting mined on cheap ASICs. You won't hit a limit.

sausage king of Chicago posted:

So if you were to build a mining rig, the best GPU for that is RX 580? But, those are what everyone is snatching up, so there price is skyrocketing and they aren't in stock anywhere? Is that right?

Just browsing over this thread has made me interested in doing something like that. Are there any other cards that people are grabbing for this kind of thing? I don't know much about video cards so I don't know why this one in particular is better than any other

Mining is something you do because you already have the hardware. If you were to buy it now, for mining specifically, you'll probably never break even.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Paul MaudDib posted:

Please.

Every morning I come here, excited by all the new posts hoping something cool and good happened, and it's all just wizard electron money. It makes me sad.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Paul MaudDib posted:

On this note: I returned my Z170 motherboard that wouldn't boot my 7100 even after BIOS flash. The CPU installation went perfectly so apparently I bent one single pin getting it out of the socket and didn't notice till I got to the store (gently caress :smith:). Microcenter took it back and exchanged it for a NIB Z270 board with a note on my receipt not to exchange it again. I actually felt terrible about this even with how much I frequent them, it was 100% my fault. :smith:

Just one pin should be fixable, just bend it back.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

CyberPingu posted:

And now, in 2017, Doom 3 is one of the coolest games you can play in VR.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Enos Cabell posted:

And now, in 2017, Doom 3 is one of the coolest games you can play in VR.

What a time to be alive

eames
May 9, 2009

Found my first ever GPU in a closet today, I was around 10 years old at the time. 3 million transistors, 350nm, 4MB VRAM, 1.6 GB/s memory bandwidth. :3:

Do you guys think it's safe to just plug this into a legacy PCI slot to see if it still works? Maybe I can pass it through to a Windows 98 VM for science.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

20+, or too many. That number is maintained by Witcher 3 being a massive time sink, playing badly in both an ESEA and CEVO league for Counter Strike, and having a childless relationship with a PC gaming woman.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

metallicaeg posted:

20+, or too many. That number is maintained by Witcher 3 being a massive time sink, playing badly in both an ESEA and CEVO league for Counter Strike, and having a childless relationship with a PC gaming woman.

Relationship time is good time. Don't apologize for it.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
I wish my woman was up on the :pcgaming:

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup

xthetenth posted:

Relationship time is good time. Don't apologize for it.

She's an Overwatch player though :negative:

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

metallicaeg posted:

My condolences.

Edit: To talk about gaming hours again, I also happen to be in a childless relationship and am also my own boss, so double-whammy on the free-time scale, but when I get back home after work, I find these days I'm just not bothered to play games. Like, I fire up a game, sit in the menu for a while, and then just quit. Or I load my save, walk 10 meters in game, then quit.

I have literally spent more time watching Let's Plays of Aliens: Colonial Marines this month than I have playing actual games. Maybe that's just the appeal of schadenfreude and watching some lispy twenty year old nerd *who plays PC shooters with a bloody loving controller* discover just how lovely that game is for the first time.**

What happened, oh sweet gaming spirit? When did you abandon me? Is this what getting old is like?

**And who probably makes more money than me playing lovely games on loving Youtube what in the actual gently caress I swear I am now seriously having a crisis

quote:

What is this? My first card was a Voodoooo3D :madmax:

Mine was an ATI Rage 128.

Shrimp or Shrimps fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Jun 15, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

metallicaeg posted:

Sever

eames posted:

Found my first ever GPU in a closet today, I was around 10 years old at the time. 3 million transistors, 350nm, 4MB VRAM, 1.6 GB/s memory bandwidth. :3:

Do you guys think it's safe to just plug this into a legacy PCI slot to see if it still works? Maybe I can pass it through to a Windows 98 VM for science.

What is this? My first card was a Voodoooo3D :madmax: