Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.
https://twitter.com/kloussikian/status/875245478002147328

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

abc journo gets a nice souvenier in the Phillipines.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

Sure, it'd be like the WHCD if it were actually broadcast on TV, rather than being subject to some sort of hosed up boys club cone of silence (- Laurie Oakes apparently)

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

The Divine Orator posted:

What is, if you don't mind me asking?

My favourite pizza shop is Chelsea Pizza on Stirling Hwy. What is the *best* in Perth? No idea, I'd need to eat a lot more pizza than my health would be happy with to make that determination.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

hooman posted:

My favourite pizza shop is Chelsea Pizza on Stirling Hwy. What is the *best* in Perth? No idea, I'd need to eat a lot more pizza than my health would be happy with to make that determination.

Having embarked upon a quest to divine Perth's best burger, I can only tell you that I'm hosed if anyone dies this year because my suits don't fit.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Don Dongington posted:

Having embarked upon a quest to divine Perth's best burger, I can only tell you that I'm hosed if anyone dies this year because my suits don't fit.

Please make sure you live long enough to report your findings, or at least leave enough evidence for us to infer them. Have you tried RoyAl's in East Vic Park? I love them.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug
burg crawl soon, fellow goons

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

weaccidentlyaburger is a good instagram account.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
wtf is this caleb bond:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHx5NZxt55Q

racing identity
Apr 5, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Hobo Erotica posted:

Goddamn it neither of those are the issue

Yes it is

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.

You be the judge

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QW6CJArtips

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Not in either of the posts I quoted and not in most of the comments I've read. She employs hundreds of women.

racing identity
Apr 5, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Hobo Erotica posted:

Not in either of the posts I quoted and not in most of the comments I've read. She employs hundreds of women.

so does travis kalanick

Mia Freedman as Not Good

https://storify.com/reynje/mamamia

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

Bogan King posted:

Look at what the new Inner West Council has been up to

Magician, everyperson, rebel

guillotines now

MonoAus
Nov 5, 2012

hooman posted:

Please make sure you live long enough to report your findings, or at least leave enough evidence for us to infer them. Have you tried RoyAl's in East Vic Park? I love them.

Basso Pizza is the best. Winner of the Perth - North East Best Pizza Award 2016

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

thanks for the link, that doesn't really seem particularly damning though? I can't see the 'disparaging references to sex work' though.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Gorilla Salad posted:

I'm always stunned at just how loving cheap it is to buy a politician - or even an entire party.

$50k a year is couch change to a big company.

A couple of years ago, my company spent over $150k just buying new office chairs. But for that, they apparently could have bought hired controlling interest in the major political party of their choice.

Corrupt pollies are the worst and pettiest of criminals. They'll cause billions of damage and gently caress over untold numbers of people just for minor personal financial incentive.

Endman posted:

Sigh. I guess I'll cut back on reading your posts then

I used to love KFC as a teen or in my 20s. But tastes change and evolve.

Now I'm all about artisenal wallaby burgers and such in a pub that serves obscure beer on tap.

racing identity
Apr 5, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Hobo Erotica posted:

thanks for the link, that doesn't really seem particularly damning though? I can't see the 'disparaging references to sex work' though.

What about the "i ran a magazine designed to make women feel bad about themselves in order to sell them stuff and it was grouse" part?

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

racing identity posted:

What about the "i ran a magazine designed to make women feel bad about themselves in order to sell them stuff and it was grouse" part?

When she was young she had a job she felt conflicted about, because she admits she enjoyed parts of it but was also able to recognise that parts of it were bad? And then she started her own thing to try and rectify the bad bits?

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

DancingShade posted:

Now I'm all about artisenal wallaby burgers and such in a pub that serves obscure beer on tap.

Death by guillotine

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Bogan King posted:

Death by guillotine

That's every pub now though. Even the grungiest place I still like does really nice parmies and the bathroom graffiti is both authentically filthy and vintage.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

DancingShade posted:

That's every pub now though. Even the grungiest place I still like does really nice parmies and the bathroom graffiti is both authentically filthy and vintage.

Given that every pub has pokies I thoroughly endorse not supporting your pub at all.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil

Bogan King posted:

Given that every pub has pokies I thoroughly endorse not supporting your pub at all.

Good reason to support WA pubs.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Bogan King posted:

Not the places I go to :colbert:

Drinking in a pokie pub is the most depressing thing.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
i reckon pineapple and beetroot in a burger would be pretty good. pineapple is nice on pizza too and it doesn't have to be a hawaiian pizza, i've put it on pizzas with chicken and prawns and it was pretty good. dad made a pizza with beetroot on it once, it wasn't bad (lamb backstrap, fetta, spinach, sweet potato and beetroot) but not something i'd rush to buy

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

this Junkee piece posted:

It’s no secret that Freedman is a public figure who courts controversy (at times, seemingly on purpose). As a woman who has built an empire on “feminism”, but very often betrays that amorphous cause, Freedman has been accused of myriad sins against the sisterhood. She’s been called out for not paying her freelance writers, most of whom are women (hello, wage gap). She’s been exposed contributing to the systemic victim-blaming of female assault victims — an act made admissible, at least in her eyes, by protestations of playing protector “as a mother”. She is also deeply wh*rephobic — what is often a calling card of the prototypical White Feminist.

maybe its not because she's a woman but because she's a poo poo person, consider reading clem ford instead

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Yeah, there are tons of good pubs in Adelaide CBD with no pokies. The Austral, Crown and Anchor, Exeter, and Grace Emily are all decent places to drink with not a pokie in sight.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Senor Tron posted:

Yeah, there are tons of good pubs in Adelaide CBD with no pokies. The Austral, Crown and Anchor, Exeter, and Grace Emily are all decent places to drink with not a pokie in sight.

yeah but adelaide

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
I got tropical pizza for dinner.

Change from within.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
I'm fat too so it's very topical

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
Just go to literally any pub outside of a Major city

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Bogan King posted:

Given that every pub has pokies

not in WA :yayclod:

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

Zenithe posted:

Just go to literally any pub outside of a Major city

Not in NSW. Pubs either have pokies and get bought up and closed so licenses can be used in Sydney, are kept afloat by pokie money or don't exist anymore.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/ne..._medium=Twitter

Thanks Daily Telegraph

AgentF
May 11, 2009

Birdstrike posted:

yeah but adelaide

Fifteen Years Without Voting In a Liberal Government

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

https://twitter.com/FoxNews/status/875253604348641280

itshappening.gif

AgentF
May 11, 2009
So the vote was on today for the commission of inquiry into the banks. It passed the Senate and went on to a lower house vote to debate the bill, which failed 70-70 after the speaker cast the tiebreaker in favour of the government. Hilariously Julie Bishop showed up too late and was locked out of the chamber for the vote. If only another Coalition member could have done the same.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

AgentF posted:

So the vote was on today for the commission of inquiry into the banks. It passed the Senate and went on to a lower house vote to debate the bill, which failed 70-70 after the speaker cast the tiebreaker in favour of the government. Hilariously Julie Bishop showed up too late and was locked out of the chamber for the vote. If only another Coalition member could have done the same.

Christensen was banging on for months that he'd cross the floor. Guess it was too far when the time came though.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

Bogan King posted:

Christensen was banging on for months that he'd cross the floor. Guess it was too far when the time came though.

Is the miserable gently caress even out of surgery yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Birdstrike posted:

maybe its not because she's a woman but because she's a poo poo person, consider reading clem ford instead

Thanks for the link. Did you read through to the examples though?

This is her "victim blaming":

"Let me be clear: sexual assault is never the fault of the victim. Neither is being hit by a drunk driver. The sole person to blame for such crimes is the perpetrator. But teaching girls how to reduce their risk of sexual assault is not the same thing as victim blaming. It’s not. And we must stop confusing the two."

Seems reasonable?

This is her being "deeply whorephobic":

"If you are an adult woman who is not suffering from a mental illness, addiction or sexual, physical or emotional abuse, who has not been trafficked or exploited or co-erced into sexual slavery and who is CHOOSING of her own free will to sell sex?
I respect that. I’m cool with that. I recently listened to a fascinating podcast with a sex worker whose clients have disabilities. We’ll be publishing a story about her soon. I’m certainly not interested in demonising sex workers – I’d never do that.

But no, that doesn’t mean I see your career choice as something I’d want my daughter to aspire to. Or my sons.... Accepting the free choices made by other women does not mean you have to aspire to them or advocate them."

Again, we're hating her for this? I mean I can see where it's coming from here at least, because yes, there is an implication that there is something wrong with sex work, and our society could arguably do with out that stigma. But far out, if you've got to drill that far down to someone saying that she'd rather her kids didn't aspire to be a sex worker to call her a poo poo person then gently caress. Find me a majority of women who say they want their kids to be sex workers and I'd question their honesty.

As for the payment thing, the Mumbrella article lays it out pretty clearly. The used to accept unpaid voluntary submissions, which most publications do, now they pay $50, and have a large paid staff contributing most of the content. Not seeing a huge deal. I'm not going to bat too hard for this one but it's still not eliciting much outrage from me.

It's like if you don't repeat the collective mantras letter for letter, if you have any personal nuance, you're hounded out of town. It doesn't seem like a constructive discourse.

And so the current example, where she introduces an adoring interview with a logistical issue which directly relates to the subject at hand. She revealed that a woman who wrote a book about how fat people experience the world differently and in ways we would not expect, experiences the world differently and in ways we would not expect. The subject was unhappy, she made a mistake, and apologized unreservedly. And everyone pounces on her again, with a visciousness that seems wildly disproportionate.

The article you posted even admitted that the pile on was questionable:

"Allowing other women their honest mistakes and teachable moments is vital to the whole movement advancing and opening up to make space for those diverse women who are often shut out by straight white supremacy. Sometimes calling out is just correcting and moving on.

Yesterday I was unusually vocal on Twitter (a platform I rarely use and don’t totally understand) about the Gay/Freedman incident. Not only did I post about it myself, I joined other threads to express my outrage. As I piled on and on, I felt the gleeful bubbles of drama build inside me. I don’t particularly like Freedman, or Mamamia, so part of me was probably thrilled to have a justifiable reason to lay into her (and the organisation itself).

But how much of my vitriol was a legitimate response to Freedman’s bad behaviour, and how much was an excuse to be mean about a woman I did not like? That question can be an uncomfortable one. I was made more uncomfortable still when I joined a thread on a women writer’s Facebook group dedicated to the incident, which quickly devolved into some thorough Freedman-bashing. Over the past 24 hours, Junkee has deleted a number of abusive Facebook comments under their stories on the incident. Freedman was repeatedly called names like “c*nt”.

I guess that's about as good an explanation as we'll get.

• Locked thread