Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Sir Kodiak posted:

Yeah, people complain about Joss Whedon, and I get it, but considering how much better Ultron was than Avengers, maybe his next superhero movie actually will be good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Crows Turn Off posted:

Wait, meaning Whedon's JL is basically a brand-new movie conpared to Snyder's JL?

That's terrible. :(

Also a bit hard to believe, given how soon it's coming out.

Or maybe it'll be a trainwreck.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I hope there is post filming recording and editing (ADR?) to add in quips for various scene. Only the voice actors are different than the cast and it's horribly apparent.

Wonder Woman: "We must stop Steppanwolf from getting the Motherbox!"
Aquaman: "YES! WE MUST MEET THIS STRANGER IN THE ALPS!" (voiced by Gilbert Gottfried)
Cyborg: "I'm token black, yo."

Written and Directed by Joss Whedon

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

UmOk posted:

Apocalypse, good or bad, was Singers responsibility. The Last Stand is good and one of the better looking X movies.

I mean, it isn't and doesn't, but even if it did look good that wouldn't be on Kinberg.

If he did direct the reshot ending for Fantastic Four then that's another reason why he sucks.

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

Isn't it great how when you step out of a project to support your family during a horrible tragedy other people decided to poo poo all over your work out of respect for what happened.

I really hate this shift in narrative for the DCEU I'll take MoS over any Marvel movie and Wonder Woman any day. Going to miss Snyder's take so much as everything becomes more and more Avengersfied

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

AFoolAndHisMoney posted:

Isn't it great how when you step out of a project to support your family during a horrible tragedy other people decided to poo poo all over your work out of respect for what happened.

I really hate this shift in narrative for the DCEU I'll take MoS over any Marvel movie and Wonder Woman any day. Going to miss Snyder's take so much as everything becomes more and more Avengersfied

People have been making GBS threads on all of Snyder's DCU experience for years now. His departure neither increased nor decreased the vitriol. And yeah, Wonder Woman was an okay movie.

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

Drifter posted:

People have been making GBS threads on all of Snyder's DCU experience for years now. His departure neither increased nor decreased the vitriol. And yeah, Wonder Woman was an okay movie.

I meant making GBS threads all over your work in the sense of Justice League scrapping JunkieXL for Elfman and general tonal change. I'm the first to scoff at reshoots rumours but together with the complete change of composer that previous reshoots rumour under Whedon is very unsettling. I would really like to watch the sequel to BvS not JL: avengers and quips Edition.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
https://twitter.com/Junkie_XL/status/875159566689775616

:smith:

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I liked Elfman's parts of Ultron's score. They had the Silvesteri cues and that's all that mattered to me.

At least Silvestri's coming back for Infinity War instead of this replacing bullshit. Keep the themes people!

CelticPredator fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Jun 15, 2017

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Junkie XL was quoted saying that in the THR article, yet some people seem to think his score is going to remain intact for the film. Doesn't that statement suggest Elfman is going to score the whole film?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Man, this is a fuckin' downer. I don't care too much about Junkie XL - although his music is fine -, but Danny Elfman's been a one trick pony for most of my life, and with them "replacing" Junkie and the rumors of Joss re-editing the entire freakin' movie and shooting new scenes...

Whedon is not good behind a camera, serviceable at best, and I'm pretty uninterested with his work as a writer. He does better in twenty minute chunks, with a whole lot of chunks to build off of.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Jun 15, 2017

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Haha, I bet not even his mother calls him Antonius. I'm pretty sure it's Tom to everyone.

And yeah, Elfman is perfectly capable of making a generic action score, so it's not like the new music will be a clowncar of gloom & whinsy.

Edit: whimsy even!

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Jun 15, 2017

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Mierenneuker posted:

Elfman is perfectly capable of making a generic action score, so it's not like the new music will be a clowncar of gloom & whinsy.

I know, but it's still fun to joke about it :toot:

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Steve Yun posted:

I know, but it's still fun to joke about it

I know, and I secretly wish that all of his scores had one song that is just an arrangement of The Breakfast Machine.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
Batman and Spider-Man have really iconic scores, so I'm down with a new Elfman. Less so if he's just filling in moments. I didn't really notice his work on Ultron (my favourite musical sting in that was one I thought was Elfman but isn't) and I'm not a huge Junkie XL fan.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

LesterGroans posted:

Batman and Spider-Man have really iconic scores.

Spider-man? I've seen all 3 of those movies a few times and I'll be damned if I can't remember a single note.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

RatHat posted:

Wait some people like Age of Ultron better than Avengers?

Ultron is far more entertaining than Loki, at least.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Loki in Avengers is pretty different to Loki in Thor

E: Ooops.

Doctor Spaceman fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Jun 15, 2017

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Wait, why are you guys taking Rob loving Liefeld's word as gospel? I mean, maybe it's my denial speaking, but don't think Whedon is such a shitweasel he'd change the tone of the whole movie.

Edit: Actually, maybe that's what he literally did, if he's actually having Elfmann replace all of XL's stuff, but we don't know if that's what's happening either.

Seems there's lots of rumors and conjecture atm

McCloud fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Jun 15, 2017

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

McCloud posted:

Wait, why are you guys taking Rob loving Liefeld's word as gospel? I mean, maybe it's my denial speaking, but don't think Whedon is such a shitweasel he'd change the tone of the whole movie.

Considering Whedon wrote the final pass of the Justice League script, I think it would be hard for him to radically change the tone of the movie.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Steve Yun posted:

Suddenly during the battle you hear accordions and slide whistles

"Who...who are you?!"
"I'm Batman"
dadadadadadada DUN DUN DUN DUN

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Sir Kodiak posted:

Yeah, people complain about Joss Whedon, and I get it, but considering how much better Ultron was than Avengers, maybe his next superhero movie actually will be good.

...what?

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I liked Ultron more than Loki as a villain. I thought he was way more entertaining. I could watch that robot monologue for hours

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Jose Oquendo posted:

Spider-man? I've seen all 3 of those movies a few times and I'll be damned if I can't remember a single note.

The Spider-Man theme is boss, and I enjoyed the Age of Ultron soundtrack, while not being a huge fan of what I've heard of Junkie XL, so I'm pretty okay with this news. It's fun to watch all the panicking in this thread, though.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Drifter posted:

Fuuuck. The trailers made it look pretty nice. That's hosed. Guess I'll watch it when it hits netflix.
What narrative device do they use that is so effed up?

The movie gravitates around Tom Cruise's character. Hard. So the entire story is literally narrated and explained to him by everyone. By Jenny, by Jekyll, even the loving Mummy explains poo poo to him via visions. For 90% of these, Cruise is just confused and dumbstruck. The movie is essentially people taking turns to explain to Tom what's going on with an action sequence in between. Whatever attempt at pacing this movie tries to have is killed by these endless explanations and flashbacks. Some of these flashbacks are repeated three times.

It's just a mess of a film. The action IS fun and I saw it a Sunday morning for like $6 so i can't bring myself to fully hate it but I would not go out of my way to see it again or recommend it to anyone.

Neo Rasa posted:

WOW.

So I haven't see any of them, but from what I was reading has each of these attempted franchise-starters been worse than the last? The Wolf Man to Dracula Untold to this?

I can't recall the wolf man being part of this but Dracula Untold WAS meant to be the first of the dark universe films. It even had a post credit stinger for a sequel. But it bombed hard.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Dracula Untold wasn't that bad but it felt like a long Castlevania cutscene in parts.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

...So the entire story is literally narrated and explained to him by everyone. By Jenny, by Jekyll...

Wait, what? Is Crowe playing Dr. Jekyll or something?

I hadn't heard about that being included in this Dark Universe series. And I haven't really followed this Mummy movie at all. Does he transform into Hyde? Or is he getting his own movie?

This extended universe they're setting up sounds really messy.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Yeah, Crowe is Dr. Jekyll and (assuming they make the other movies) he's the Nick Fury of the series. He runs the organization/group in charge of researching monsters and poo poo. And yeah, you get to see Hyde.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Phylodox posted:

The Spider-Man theme is boss, and I enjoyed the Age of Ultron soundtrack, while not being a huge fan of what I've heard of Junkie XL, so I'm pretty okay with this news. It's fun to watch all the panicking in this thread, though.

Mad Max's score is better than anything Elfman has done in the last 20 years.

The best way to look at Elfman is that whenever Zimmer steps in to do what Elfman did before, he blows him out of the water. Batman 89 ha a memorable thing, but a pretty whatever score - the Nolan trilogy had an amazing score. Spider-man had a great theme, but Zimmer's Amazing 2's score was inventive and really, really good. This is a reverse, where Zimmer already created memorable themes for the characters, leaving the score (which is Elfman's weaker point).

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Macaluso posted:

I liked Ultron more than Loki as a villain. I thought he was way more entertaining. I could watch that robot monologue for hours

Sure, Spader was great as Ultron, but the rest of the movie was a bloated, overweight gently caress-off mess.

Edit: And then of course Whedon had the balls to blame Marvel for loving with the movie instead of saying, "Yeah, you know, I wrote a goddamn three and a half hour script, maybe I should have trimmed it just a little bit and made sure it all made sense before I said, 'roll camera.'"

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Darko posted:

The best way to look at Elfman is that whenever Zimmer steps in to do what Elfman did before, he blows him out of the water. Batman 89 ha a memorable thing, but a pretty whatever score - the Nolan trilogy had an amazing score. Spider-man had a great theme, but Zimmer's Amazing 2's score was inventive and really, really good. This is a reverse, where Zimmer already created memorable themes for the characters, leaving the score (which is Elfman's weaker point).

I mean, I'm pretty much exactly the opposite of this. Neither the Nolan films nor the Amazing Spider-Man 2's score really did anything for me at all. Meanwhile, the Batman theme is iconic, and the Spider-Man's main theme (and Doc Ock's theme) remain some of my favourite to this day.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Timby posted:

Sure, Spader was great as Ultron, but the rest of the movie was a bloated, overweight gently caress-off mess.

Edit: And then of course Whedon had the balls to blame Marvel for loving with the movie instead of saying, "Yeah, you know, I wrote a goddamn three and a half hour script, maybe I should have trimmed it just a little bit and made sure it all made sense before I said, 'roll camera.'"

I feel like the studio not telling Joss no is the more to blame for that.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Timby posted:

I thought it was fun :shrug: The movie didn't feel that way to me. It doesn't take a lot for Marvel movies to impress me tbh though

I'll say, I'm getting caught up on Ant-Man, Civil War and Doctor Strange right now, and I'm just starting Ant-Man. I really really really hate the thing in movies where the step dad and mom are assholes to the real dad, even though the daughter or son is super stoked to see him. No matter the context. I wish that was a story thing hat movies would just stop using.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Phylodox posted:

I mean, I'm pretty much exactly the opposite of this. Neither the Nolan films nor the Amazing Spider-Man 2's score really did anything for me at all. Meanwhile, the Batman theme is iconic, and the Spider-Man's main theme (and Doc Ock's theme) remain some of my favourite to this day.

Yeah, I get bagging on Elfman's recent stuff as being bland and forgettable, but the Batman theme is, as you said, iconic. Because it's great.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Phylodox posted:

It's fun to watch all the panicking in this thread, though.

I think the issue is less about the music specifically and more that it seems to be becoming less and less Snyder's film and more Whedon's, and they kind of represent different takes on super heroes. We could wave off the rumors about how "extensive" the reshoots are going to be, but this seems like a pretty decisive "Junkie is Zack's guy, Elfman is Joss's" reversal. I'm still optimistic and the score is never really that important for me (I'm much more of a visual guy anyway, but I also don't think Junkie is on the level of Zimmer anyway) but I can understand the sinking feeling of looking forward to a film for very specific reasons, and it seems like things are going sideways quickly.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Macaluso posted:

I'll say, I'm getting caught up on Ant-Man, Civil War and Doctor Strange right now, and I'm just starting Ant-Man. I really really really hate the thing in movies where the step dad and mom are assholes to the real dad, even though the daughter or son is super stoked to see him. No matter the context. I wish that was a story thing hat movies would just stop using.

You should finish the movie.

Do you normally watch movies in 15-minute blocks over several weeks?

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Macaluso posted:

To be fair, Scott's a gently caress-up. And they resolve that whole situation pretty well in the end, while painting the mom and step-dad in a positive light.

thrawn527 posted:

Yeah, I get bagging on Elfman's recent stuff as being bland and forgettable, but the Batman theme is, as you said, iconic. Because it's great.

I don't know that I've heard any of his recent stuff other than Age of Ultron, which I liked. That theme felt like an evolution of the previous movie's theme, while still retaining elements of the original. I thought that was neat.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

You should finish the movie.

Do you normally watch movies in 15-minute blocks over several weeks?

What? I just started it, I just commented as I was watching it

And it was more of a general movie complaint, I know he was in jail and not paying child support. I still don't like it.

Macaluso fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Jun 15, 2017

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Macaluso posted:

What? I just started it, I just commented as I was watching it

I was just joshing you for posting after watching the movie for 15-minutes instead of finishing it first because that's the opposite of how it ends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I can't recall the wolf man being part of this but Dracula Untold WAS meant to be the first of the dark universe films. It even had a post credit stinger for a sequel. But it bombed hard.

The Wolf Man didn't do quite as bad as Dracula Untold but it also bombed pretty hard. I bet Universal are hoping that The Mummy doesn't do as bad as The Wolf Man

WHOOPS TOO LATE :haw:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRiHuYpKuAk

• Locked thread