Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
B B
Dec 1, 2005

https://twitter.com/politico/status/875364804638240768

:sad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

funkymonks
Aug 31, 2004

Pillbug

Faustian Bargain posted:

If you are pro-gun you should have to take a non-fatal gunshot wound so you realize how serious it is :getin:

I also hope this piece of poo poo recovers but changes his way of thinking.

I'm genuinely glad no one died but I certainly wouldn't mind if every republican politician feared for their lives on a daily basis.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

See if you make up words that don't mean anything and write too goddamn much there's a certain class of people who will think you are smart. See also: Eripsa, Heidegger.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

GOOD.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Al Borland Corp. posted:

After cooling down for 24 hours I do feel sympathy for Scalise and hope he recovers. I hope he himself gains some synoathy for his in victims.

That's a nice thought but if actual history and facts indicate anything, if/when Scalise wakes up he is going to work even harder to turbofuck the poor liberal left.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Ogmius815 posted:

See if you make up words that don't mean anything and write too goddamn much there's a certain class of people who will think you are smart. See also: Eripsa, Heidegger.

I suspect both of those two also suffer from untreated or barely treated mental disorders.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005

funkymonks posted:

I'm genuinely glad no one died but I certainly wouldn't mind if every republican politician feared for their lives on a daily basis.

What a bad post. You're literally hoping that our democracy completely falls apart.

"But it already ha-" *faaaaaaaaart*

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I keep forgetting he's the governor at all, still.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

Caros posted:

Just the tip newt?

Not cool to even joke about.

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug

Ogmius815 posted:

Something you don't understand isn't necessarily meaningless.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

funkymonks posted:

If they did, they would be much worse, because scared people make bad choices. Be careful of making wishes like that.

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum
Prester Jane, be careful not to let your useful theory become the only way you view the world. Things are going to get better, and you shouldn't let your fears drive you to theatrics or self-aggrandizement. It's not healthy, and it's not helpful for communicating your theories.

Botany, you've been constantly sniping at her for months now. Shut the hell up about it.

Ogmius, your posts contribute nothing, as do you.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Night10194 posted:

Didn't he win re-election and spend maybe 6 months in office before immediately jumping off to run for president?

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

Night10194 posted:

Yeah, he's basically become a non-factor here. Still see him in ads talking about the opioid epidemic, but mostly he's just waiting out the end of his term.

The Democrat running for NJ governor, Phil Murphy, is polling at a 2-1 advantage over the Republican candidate, Kim Guadagno, who works in Christie's administration. The stink of being associated with Christie (and, by party affiliation, Trump) is going to make winning a near impossibility for her, even as she's trying to distance herself from both as much as possible (and is running on a somewhat more centrist platform than what you'd expect from a GOP candidate).

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Al Borland Corp. posted:

After cooling down for 24 hours I do feel sympathy for Scalise and hope he recovers. I hope he himself gains some synoathy for his in victims.

Don't, but do enjoy the schad that's about to happen if he ends up permanently disabled.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Shifty Pony posted:

Next president should just tweet photos of their pet being cute.

Hope you like horses!

The next President should be from Weird Twitter.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005

TARDISman posted:

Didn't he win re-election and spend maybe 6 months in office before immediately jumping off to run for president?

That's a big part of it. Another big part is that he hosed with traffic on the George Washington bridge for the purpose of screwing over the Democratic mayor of Fort Lee. Then he let a close subordinate go to jail for him because he is a bastard.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Putin Offers Political Asylum To James Comey, Citing Potential Prosecution In U.S.

NPR posted:

"What's the difference between the FBI director and Mr. Snowden?" Russian President Vladimir Putin asked Thursday during his yearly live call-in show, saying that he would offer political asylum to fired FBI head James Comey in the same way Russia has sheltered former NSA contractor Edward Snowden.

By phrasing a question uniquely constructed for these unusual times, Putin put a new spin on the ongoing saga over Russia's tampering in the U.S. election, links between President Trump's inner circle with Russia — and allegations that the president tried to stop at least one line of inquiry.

Comey recently testified that Trump fired him after asking Comey to end the investigation into former national security adviser Michael Flynn — a request that Comey says he memorialized in personal notes that he allowed to be leaked to the media.

"[Comey] said he'd written down his conversation with President [Trump] and handed it to the media through a friend of his," Putin said, according to a translation by Radio Free Europe. "This does sound and look odd: the director of a security service making records of his talks with the supreme commander and handing it over to the media through a friend of his."

Putin made the remark during his annual Direct Line appearance on state TV, in which he spends hours taking questions from a studio audience and from civilians scattered around Russia.

Comparing Comey to Snowden, Putin said, "It makes him not a security service director, but a civil activist advocating a certain belief."

He added, "By the way, if he faces any kind of prosecution in this regard, we will provide political asylum in Russia for him as well. He should be aware of that."

As wide smiles broke out among the studio audience at that last remark, Putin pivoted in his chair, signaling that the question had been dealt with.

This year, the Kremlin says, the call center that funnels the public's curiosity received some 2 million messages, including 1.3 million phone calls.

The Kremlin says that most of the calls at this year's question and answer session deal with Russia's future. Many of the topics center on wages, inflation and the economy.

Noting that the U.S. Senate has moved to impose new sanctions on Russia and to prevent the Trump administration from rolling back the sanctions without congressional approval, Putin said, "Whatever the case, I believe this is utterly groundless."

Putin's annual Q&A sessions are notorious for generating softball questions for the president. Late in Thursday's session, for instance, one man asked, "What is the largest fish you have ever caught?"

Putin replied, "20 kilograms (44 pounds)," while also acknowledging that if someone added a bit of weight to the scale when he wasn't looking, he hadn't noticed.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

A lovely Reporter posted:

Prester Jane, be careful not to let your useful theory become the only way you view the world. Things are going to get better, and you shouldn't let your fears drive you to theatrics or self-aggrandizement. It's not healthy, and it's not helpful for communicating your theories.

Botany, you've been constantly sniping at her for months now. Shut the hell up about it.

Ogmius, your posts contribute nothing, as do you.

I appreciate the note of support. For the record with the bit about wishing on a monkeys paw from a homeless gypsy woman I thought it was pretty obvious I was making a joke. I don't have actual superpowers or anything of the sort. I just happen to have an unusual insight into a particular group of extremists who happen to be rather relevant at this point in our history. Considering the context of making that joke (I am very open about my schizophrenia and delusions of grandeur/believing one posses super powers are well known symptoms of that condition) I can appreciate that it would be very difficult for me to make it clear that I was jesting, particularly through the medium of the written word. In the future I will keep this in mind.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

funkymonks posted:

If it made them introspective about why people hate them so much and that led to a shift in their policies? Sure. But the immediate reaction seems to be that they're going to further insulate themselves from the public. I heard my own congressman (a shithead, to be sure, but not among the very worst of them) on the radio this morning saying that they're going to have to reconsider their levels of interaction with the public and how they do it, and that's not a good thing.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

ReidRansom posted:

If it made them introspective about why people hate them so much and that led to a shift in their policies? Sure. But the immediate reaction seems to be that they're going to further insulate themselves from the public. I heard my own congressman (a shithead, to be sure, but not among the very worst of them) on the radio this morning saying that they're going to have to reconsider their levels of interaction with the public and how they do it, and that's not a good thing.

Yeah, my guy's Paulsen and he was already ducking town halls for fear that "They may be impolite and un-Minnesotan! :downs:" There's no chance that we'll ever see him between now and 2018 after yesterday.

Uncleanly Cleric
Oct 17, 2005

Prester Jane posted:

I appreciate the note of support. For the record with the bit about wishing on a monkeys paw from a homeless gypsy woman I thought it was pretty obvious I was making a joke.

Don't worry too much, it was really obviously a joke.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

A lovely Reporter posted:

I would question whether being constantly on this thread and thinking about some very dark things all the time is helpful for a person with serious mental health issues. I would encourage her to discuss it with her therapist.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Prester Jane posted:

I appreciate the note of support. For the record with the bit about wishing on a monkeys paw from a homeless gypsy woman I thought it was pretty obvious I was making a joke. I don't have actual superpowers or anything of the sort. I just happen to have an unusual insight into a particular group of extremists who happen to be rather relevant at this point in our history. Considering the context of making that joke (I am very open about my schizophrenia and delusions of grandeur/believing one posses super powers are well known symptoms of that condition) I can appreciate that it would be very difficult for me to make it clear that I was jesting, particularly through the medium of the written word. In the future I will keep this in mind.

Your insight into "how they think" is very good.

Your insight into "what's going to happen" is very bad.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

ReidRansom posted:

I'll be amazed if they keep doing regular events like town halls. My rep (Jody Hice) was already hiding behind that "tele-town hall" BS. He's refused to visit the largest city in his district since his election 3 years ago. God I hate him.

Fitzy Fitz fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Jun 15, 2017

twice burned ice
Dec 29, 2008

My stove defies the laws of physics!

Ogmius815 posted:

Quoting just so that more people will see that you think Heidegger wrote nonsense because you can't understand it.

Being and Time is regarded by many as the most influential piece of existential philosophy ever written, and you consider it nonsense.

:shibewow:

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, the main takeaway of this shooting is justification for skipping town halls.

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

His loving Nice at the end. What a worthless man.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I wonder how many people realize that Trump's likes and RTs on Twitter are artificially inflated by at least a factor of ten.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

twice burned ice posted:

Quoting just so that more people will see that you think Heidegger wrote nonsense because you can't understand it.

Being and Time is regarded by many as the most influential piece of existential philosophy ever written, and you consider it nonsense.

:shibewow:

Now, Being and Nothingness on the other hand...

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Tzen posted:

His loving Nice at the end. What a worthless man.

Didn't even have the courtesy to include a 69 in there. Not nice at all.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

Pollyanna posted:

I wonder how many people realize that Trump's likes and RTs on Twitter are artificially inflated by at least a factor of ten.

probably about 54% of them

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

C. Everett Koop posted:

Didn't even have the courtesy to include a 69 in there. Not nice at all.

Borat 2020

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Pollyanna posted:

I wonder how many people actually pay attention to how many likes and RTs he gets. I mean, it's not exactly the thing that stands out most...

don longjohns
Mar 2, 2012

There are people who don't like Heidegger? Wtf. Wtf. :wtf:

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Well, his hatred of Jews would go over with the Pepe crowd pretty well.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

:wtc: Salem witch trials

okay fine, he qualified "political" witch hunt but come on.

Red Scare trials. Japanese internment. Bill Clinton's impeachment.

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Jun 15, 2017

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Alter Ego posted:

Well, his hatred of Jews would go over with the Pepe crowd pretty well.

He doesn't hate Jews at all! He just doesn't know you're not supposed to say that. Actually you are the racist for not understanding his culture.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

failing forward posted:

There are people who don't like Heidegger? Wtf. Wtf. :wtf:

Does anyone like me?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Pollyanna posted:

I wonder how much of the country realizes he emabarasses himself on twitter daily.

are presidant

• Locked thread