Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

his nibs posted:

Testiclasaurus. I'm right yes?

Nice surfacedetail callback.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Fil5000 posted:

So they trip over their own feet, try to pick up things using one body's arm that are actually in front of one of the other bodies, generally spend all their time disorientated and falling down a lot?

I'd play it.

These games are going to suck without Kojima. :(

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Sunswipe posted:

These games are going to suck without Kojima. :(

I'd love to see Metal Gear and Metal Gear 2 done on the Fox engine. That'd be so cool.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Foo Diddley posted:

While simultaneously insisting that the game isn't pay-to-win

Whereas SC gets around this by making the $60 worth of guns not work properly because the game is a buggy mess with garbage collision detection?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Fatkraken posted:

Whereas SC gets around this by making the $60 worth of guns not work properly because the game is a buggy mess with garbage collision detection?

Yeah, it's a new model called Pay-to-Lose

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

$60 worth of guns strapped to a $35 space bike.

No different than some $3000 rims on a $250 beater car.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Yeah, it's a new model called Pay-to-Lose

For the backers, this is nothing new

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

CIG also innovated the new Pay-2Pay model of games where if you pay for a subscription you get the first chance to pay for a jpeg.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Foo Diddley posted:

It's like poetry, it rhymes.

Aww, gently caress, they even archered G. Lucas archering himself! IS NOTHING ORIGINAL WITH YOU, CROBBLER! :argh:

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer

Hav posted:

Nice surfacedetail callback.

The hairiest furriest of callbacks

AutismVaccine
Feb 26, 2017

SPECIAL NEEDS
SQUAD

Foo Diddley posted:

Imo SC is way to cheap with its subscription. They should raise it to 30$/€ and give ingame boosts like better quests or stuff.

e: Think about it. People supporting UEC = CIG more than others should have advantages, just like in real life.

e2: ok its called UEE whatever

AutismVaccine fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Jun 15, 2017

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Fil5000 posted:

So they trip over their own feet, try to pick up things using one body's arm that are actually in front of one of the other bodies, generally spend all their time disorientated and falling down a lot?

I'd play it.

So… Octodad?

MilesK
Nov 5, 2015

Dark Off posted:

“When you see a sunset in Beyond Good and Evil 2, that’s a real sunset,” producer Guillaume Brunier added. “It’s not just some lights our artists put there.”

Good, every time I see some fake sunset not based on me hurtling through space at a million miles per hour I throw that game in the trash.

MilesK fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Jun 15, 2017

CaptainBtaksDad
Jun 3, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

his nibs posted:

The hairiest furriest of callbacks

When SQ42 releases I will release the jpgs of glory.

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

Dark Off posted:

hand crafted procedural tech :negative:
Ancel's hand crafted procedural gen tech is actually something they've been playing with for a long time, it was used in a 2d capacity in Rayman Origins already and they showed a 3d version of it in a french event last year. It's really a level design tool, basically the level designed draws the broad shapes and the software fills it with assets and greebles. It's whole purpose is fast iteration and removing bottleneck, the exact inverse of what Roberts is doing.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/_liam_hall/status/875360772481835010

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
There tweets are literally usenet posts from the 90s awaiting the all encompasing wonder of BATTLECRUISER THREE THOUSAND

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

CaptainBtaksDad posted:

Will you do it with an episode format?

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Truga posted:

There tweets are literally usenet posts from the 90s awaiting the all encompasing wonder of BATTLECRUISER THREE THOUSAND

Calm your FUD

Colostomy Bag posted:

Will you do it with an episode format?

I'd like a narrative with subplots.

Edit: The internet never forgets, which is why I'm glad my aliases are secret.

Hav fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Jun 15, 2017

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

Dream Factory
Grimey Drawer

CaptainBtaksDad posted:

Gonads of Greatness does have a certain ring to it

Dark Off
Aug 14, 2015

Chev posted:

Ancel's hand crafted procedural gen tech is actually something they've been playing with for a long time, it was used in a 2d capacity in Rayman Origins already and they showed a 3d version of it in a french event last year. It's really a level design tool, basically the level designed draws the broad shapes and the software fills it with assets and greebles. It's whole purpose is fast iteration and removing bottleneck, the exact inverse of what Roberts is doing.

to be fair I see beyond good and evil 2 as doable sort of game. And it will be released.
But theres just too much CR likeness going on. I expect serious downgrades on what gets delivered.

The game is supposed to take place on 2 or 3 solar systems instead of 100 solar systems of star citizen.
But even that requires lots of assets, if they want to avoid repetition that is.

and i heavily doubt that

http://www.vg247.com/2017/06/15/beyond-good-and-evil-2-is-an-ambitious-concept-tempered-by-a-nine-year-shitshow/ posted:

“Cities can grow by themselves, they can be destroyed, they can connect to others. Everything is alive, in fact, it’s not pre-scripted.”
[quote=https://www.giantbomb.com/videos/giant-bomb-at-nite-live-from-e3-2017-nite-2/2300-12107/
3h 38min]
"you can take pictures of lots of stuff and show those pictures to other pigs and they will be like oh yeah i know that place, that place has good beer"
[/quote]
will exist

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

Dark Off posted:

and i heavily doubt that [photo and city stuff] will exist
The photo stuff is easy, BGE1 had a simple version of it, and look no further than the recent Zelda: Breath of the Wild to get how it works. Basically, when you take a photo, on one side you make a jpeg for the player and on the other you just tag the object or objects in the view. If it were a real life photo you'd have all kinds of shape recognition problems to solve but for a game it's easy since it's a simple volume test. That way it becomes trivial to have the game acknowledge the tagged object.

The growing city is a bit trickier but we can go to Introversion's famous 2007 Subversion demo. We know Ubisoft has that kind of tech too because they used it to build Paris in Assassin's Creed Whatchamacallit. The only question is, once you make it dynamic, how well does it play with the streaming system (since in AC it was prebaked) and how do you make it relevant to gameplay. But unlike CIG they're a veteran company with a proven toolchain and a long experience in streaming worlds.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Man, I know nobody on here is on the fence anymore but really this should be the thing that gets people off of it. One year of development and there is literally nothing different in the released version. Nothing to show for it at all. Not one feature they demo'd last year came out.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

The Cymelion reddit post is a good and funny read. A poster was proud that the progress last year was the game went from 10 FPS to 20 FPS.

Nov 3, 2015

Give me all your crackers

Dark Off posted:

to be fair I see beyond good and evil 2 as doable sort of game. And it will be released.
But theres just too much CR likeness going on. I expect serious downgrades on what gets delivered.

The game is supposed to take place on 2 or 3 solar systems instead of 100 solar systems of star citizen.
But even that requires lots of assets, if they want to avoid repetition that is.

and i heavily doubt that

will exist

quote:

https://www.giantbomb.com/videos/giant-bomb-at-nite-live-from-e3-2017-nite-2/2300-12107/
3h 38min posted:
"you can take pictures of lots of stuff and show those pictures to other pigs and they will be like oh yeah i know that place, that place has good beer"

Actually I would expect that this would not be that hard to do. Its not like the pigs are actually looking at a photo, the game knows what image was taken and what the image was of, so it just tags it and then checks that pigs info on if it knows that tag. Then plays a canned response.

Edit: someone beat me to it.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Sarsapariller posted:

Man, I know nobody on here is on the fence anymore but really this should be the thing that gets people off of it. One year of development and there is literally nothing different in the released version. Nothing to show for it at all. Not one feature they demo'd last year came out.

Anyone who cares is already gone.

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003
*unsheathes QUAD MANTIS*

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

While you played actual games, I studied the QUAD MANTIS...

Deathsquid
Apr 26, 2017
Has anyone said QUAD MANTITS yet, friends?

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Deathsquid posted:

Has anyone said QUAD MANTITS yet, friends?

Mom?

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!

Colostomy Bag posted:

The Cymelion reddit post is a good and funny read. A poster was proud that the progress last year was the game went from 10 FPS to 20 FPS.

So just 4 more years until it is playable from a performance perspective! Amazing progress.

Dark Off
Aug 14, 2015

Chev posted:

The photo stuff is easy, BGE1 had a simple version of it, and look no further than the recent Zelda: Breath of the Wild to get how it works. Basically, when you take a photo, on one side you make a jpeg for the player and on the other you just tag the object or objects in the view. If it were a real life photo you'd have all kinds of shape recognition problems to solve but for a game it's easy since it's a simple volume test. That way it becomes trivial to have the game acknowledge the tagged object.

The growing city is a bit trickier but we can go to Introversion's famous 2007 Subversion demo. We know Ubisoft has that kind of tech too because they used it to build Paris in Assassin's Creed Whatchamacallit. The only question is, once you make it dynamic, how well does it play with the streaming system (since in AC it was prebaked) and how do you make it relevant to gameplay. But unlike CIG they're a veteran company with a proven toolchain and a long experience in streaming worlds.

its more of those 2 things together.
think of procedural components in the photo.
a) multiple place that have same asset can exist (i guess it could save the location on photo to solve that)
b)that place could have been destroyed. (generic responses solve that)
c) writing responses for every single object is massive work. Unless they do generic responses to type of building in picture.

my guess is that the city stuff will be scrapped and/or photograph stuff limited to certain types of objects.

To be fair Ancel does have better track record than CR, so im only worried about the similarities.
Ubi will definitely deliver something out of this but theres high chances that it will be hyped up too much at that point

catte tax

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Good cat is expressing his disapproval of the pineapple ruining that pizza.

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat
As I was sitting here perusing this train wreck of a thread. It hit me. One hundred and fifty million US dollars. It's a number that I just laughed at before (and still do) but man oh man. One hundred and fifty million dollars.

Vodkahead
Jun 4, 2007

Dark Off posted:

catte tax

Catte is a better pizza topping than pineapple. Discuss.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

You can take pineapple off your pizza without it trying to claw your face off.

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat
Catte is a better source of protein and fiber than pineapple.

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

Dark Off posted:

a) multiple place that have same asset can exist (i guess it could save the location on photo to solve that)
b)that place could have been destroyed. (generic responses solve that)
c) writing responses for every single object is massive work. Unless they do generic responses to type of building in picture.
You're overthinking this SC-style, yeah, imagining it as something way more specific than it's gonna be.

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

Dream Factory
Grimey Drawer

big nipples big life posted:

Good cat is expressing his disapproval of the pineapple ruining that pizza.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wise Learned Man
Apr 22, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

big nipples big life posted:

CIG also innovated the new Pay-2Pay model of games where if you pay for a subscription you get the first chance to pay for a jpeg.

This is FUD. The proper definition of Pay-2-Pay is paying $15,000 for a "completionist" package and gaining the right to later pay an additional $2500 for something not included in the completionist package.

:airquote: Completionist :airquote: