Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Soothing Vapors posted:

line 4401 still says 20%, there are multiple entries

That's the spread balance tooltip.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Sinteres posted:

So I know there are tons of quests in the game, and this doesn't actually matter at all, but for the starting Astrologian quest in SB to be East Meets West at the same time the starting Weaver quest is When East Meets West is pretty :effort: unless there's a deliberate parallel within the actual quests.

I know, they could've made it When East Meets Weft.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

vOv posted:

I know, they could've made it When East Meets Weft.

Why isn't the CUL quest called "When Yeast Meets West" ???

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Those are some juicy patch notes. I I'll pick up the MSQ since that's where I logged first. Then go get my class quest next. Unlock SAM just to do so. Then we're off to the races. One of my big goals for 4.0 is to actually get into raiding when it's relevant content.

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

The changes to the weakness and brink of death penalties seems strange to me. It seems like instead of having a really obvious reason you shouldn't die as DPS (no health) now people will just keep going until they fail enrage timers instead? Maybe they're really cranking up the raid wide damage and it was too difficult to balance the old penalties or something

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
It's really frustrating to new players to die, get rezzed, and then die immediately again because you now have 4 max hp. Or so I'm told, I've never failed at anything in my life, least of all a video game.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Fortuitous Bumble posted:

The changes to the weakness and brink of death penalties seems strange to me. It seems like instead of having a really obvious reason you shouldn't die as DPS (no health) now people will just keep going until they fail enrage timers instead? Maybe they're really cranking up the raid wide damage and it was too difficult to balance the old penalties or something

Weakness is a significantly larger DPS/Healing penalty, but it's no longer an HP penalty. This going to make deaths still hurt in progression work, however, it will help stop some problems that have existed in the past. Previously while working on some progression sections, a person with weakness and a shield just simply might not have enough HP period to survive a mechanic. It was real easy to have one death cascade into a series of them where you never really recover back because you just don't have enough HP to survive.

Instead now they just make you lose a significant chunk of DPS/HPS throughput but you'll still be able to survive the giant raidwide aoes.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Dunno if this was already linked, but Sarnai Malqir over in the goon linkshell on Balmung got us the music for the expansion like usual.

[] This falls into files territory []

Somebody fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Jun 16, 2017

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

It's less punishing for people learning mechanics. I assume it's more targeted at casuals then savage. It kinda sucks dying to a new mechanic/fight, getting picked up, then dying more because your already low health is now lower. Hard to learn/enjoy a fight if you spend it all on the floor.

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

Soothing Vapors posted:

It's really frustrating to new players to die, get rezzed, and then die immediately again because you now have 4 max hp. Or so I'm told, I've never failed at anything in my life, least of all a video game.

Yeah this is the one thing I'm really confused over. Like, all the rest of the stuff makes the game (mostly) easier and more streamlined... why slam us with the debuff?

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
The weakness change seems pretty good. With no hp penalty you're still going to be able to contribute and learn without instantly dieing to roomwide aoe, but the damage penalty will hinder strats that just sacrifice people to ignore mechanics.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
this debuff is way better than the other debuff. you're not getting 'slammed' with anything.

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

Oxyclean posted:

It's less punishing for people learning mechanics. I assume it's more targeted at casuals then savage. It kinda sucks dying to a new mechanic/fight, getting picked up, then dying more because your already low health is now lower. Hard to learn/enjoy a fight if you spend it all on the floor.

I hadn't thought about it from this perspective, but ti definitely will make it easier to learn new fights without going into a death spiral (even if you fail them because of no DPS later)

The marker for esuna-able debuffs is going to be really good too, I still attempt to esuna unremovable debuffs all the time right now

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

Oh okay, maybe I just misread. I'll check it out again when I can. :)

A 50S RAYGUN I apologize if I have pissed you off somehow, you seem displeased whenever I post.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
a lack of skill in video games, much like sickness, must be purged

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Everyone in a group can see your health, so what can happen is someone dies and then other people in the group see their weirdly low hp pool and kick them on the assumption that they're undergeared or have broken equipment

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

:ohdear: gently caress the reaper comin for me for all wipes past

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I've lost track of how many times someone in my static has died, been rezzed, and then died again from not having enough HP to survive unavoidable raid damage. This is one of my favorite changes in SB.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Vitality has always been the secret best stat for progression. The weakness change is a great change.

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

Flavahbeast posted:

Everyone in a group can see your health, so what can happen is someone dies and then other people in the group see their weirdly low hp pool and kick them on the assumption that they're undergeared or have broken equipment

There is no fix for this kind of stupidity.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.

Thank god, at least one full suit of heavy metal armor for Dragoon this expansion. My heart can rest at ease.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
is there like a 30 min recap of 2.0-3.57 that can get me caught up on the story?

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

Rainuwastaken posted:

Thank god, at least one full suit of heavy metal armor for Dragoon this expansion. My heart can rest at ease.
Oooh has armor been datamined? Got a link?

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

Rainuwastaken posted:

there will probably also be dyeable Valerian Dragoon armor

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

there will probably also be dyeable Valerian Dragoon armor

There is, and I am incredibly excited about that as well. I had it glammed for a huge chunk of Heavensward.

Pierson posted:

Oooh has armor been datamined? Got a link?

https://ffxiv.dlunch.net/model.html?language=2

I hear it doesn't play nicely with Chrome, so if it won't load properly try it in another browser.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Am I reading this right that you can no longer try out new classes in the PotD? Because you won't have any actions.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

FactsAreUseless posted:

Am I reading this right that you can no longer try out new classes in the PotD? Because you won't have any actions.

just role actions not job ones

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
You're not- it's cross-class/role actions that aren't available without actually having gotten them.

Tiger Millionaire
Jan 25, 2014

He'll eat your kids and fire your parents!

Rainuwastaken posted:

Good to see SE has included ps2 support with Stormblood

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Where's my job notes mr. eenix?

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

unseenlibrarian posted:

You're not- it's cross-class/role actions that aren't available without actually having gotten them.

I might also be confused cos the way it reads to me is you can set your role actions before going in but once in you can't change them.

Gizmo Chicken
Feb 17, 2011

Yep.

Saint Freak posted:

Where's my job notes mr. eenix?

Patch Notes posted:

For those curious as to changes to actions and traits, the patch notes are scheduled to be released in their entirety on Thursday, June 15 at 7:00 p.m. (PDT).

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I don't know why they bothered to release a preliminary when they're doing the full notes on the same day

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Oxygen Deficiency posted:

I might also be confused cos the way it reads to me is you can set your role actions before going in but once in you can't change them.

That's correct. You can only use Role actions you've unlocked and equipped.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Josuke Higashikata posted:

I don't know why they bothered to release a preliminary when they're doing the full notes on the same day

I'd assume because it's not on the same day in Japan, it's past midnight there already.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

I realize that as their audience also encompasses countries that do not use a western alphabet, they couldn't go on to E or F without actually risking that someone wouldn't know what E or F was.

But it would have amused me greatly if they had gone A B X Y L R.

Ranged jobs also no longer have a damage penalty in pvp.

Jesus Christ, the QoL.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
So I'm gonna take this downtime to move the game from my HDD to my SSD (didn't have space at the time), could I get away with just dragging and dropping it into the different drive?

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

Leal posted:

So I'm gonna take this downtime to move the game from my HDD to my SSD (didn't have space at the time), could I get away with just dragging and dropping it into the different drive?

yes

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Ranged jobs also no longer have a damage penalty in pvp.

Is there any reason to be melee dps in pvp anymore?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I realize that as their audience also encompasses countries that do not use a western alphabet, they couldn't go on to E or F without actually risking that someone wouldn't know what E or F was.

But it would have amused me greatly if they had gone A B X Y L R.

Jesus Christ, the QoL.

Everyone recognizes most of the latin alphabet these days, because even if they didn't have english in school (unlikely, but possible) they 100% had math.

• Locked thread