Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Binary Badger posted:

What's wrong with this image?

During TOS women were deemed unfit for command.

Also, no one is smiling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

You tried to destroy it once before, Commodore.
The result was a wrecked ship and a dead crew.
Fun Shoe

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Watching Samaritan Snare. Geordi's apprentice from the last episode is back. Was she added because they wanted a noob who wasn't the reviled Wesley?

That's Lycia Naff, sci-fi legend (the three-boobed hooker from Total Recall). Gomez was intended to be a love interest for Geordi but the writers room was still in chaos at that point so they wrote her in as comic relief and then realised that they'd hosed it up.

That Pakled episode is horrific. I'm surprised they didn't just come out and call that race the R'tards.

Sad King Billy
Jan 27, 2006

Thats three of ours innit...to one of yours. You know mate I really think we ought to even up the average!
The Pakleds also appear in that Klingon interactive movie, Gowron has to interrogate one.

Riker comes off very badly in this episode. I would go so far as to agree with Jellico that he is a bad first officer and doesn't deserve a command of his own, going by his showings in the series.
I also heartily recommend the SF Debris review of Samaritan Snare.

Sad King Billy fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Jun 15, 2017

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Sad King Billy posted:

Dude is like the only video person not on YouTube, which is annoying.

BTW, here is the direct link to that ep if anyone is interested - http://sfdebris.com/videos/startrek/t143.php

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Arglebargle III posted:

So when is Discovery being canceled again?

Due to temporal shenanigans, it's already canceled.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

WampaLord posted:

Dude is like the only video person not on YouTube, which is annoying.

BTW, here is the direct link to that ep if anyone is interested - http://sfdebris.com/videos/startrek/t143.php
That's Paramount's fault. He used to be able to post them there but his account kept getting hit with copyright strikes.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

Due to temporal shenanigans, it's already canceled.

It's already been cancelled. It was cancelled the day before it was conceived. It can not have been otherwise.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up
"Sir, please do not give our shield frequencies to the Romulan warbird. I am begging you."
"Come now, Mr Worf. Where would we be if we systematically gave into our paranoia at every opportunity?"
"They are requesting that we disarm our photon torpedoes and jettison them out an airlock. I'm setting the ship to red alert."
"Do as they say, I want to see where...diplomacy will take us."
"They are powering up their weapons. Sending a distress signal."
"Belay that. Mr Worf you are relieved of your duties and confined to your quarters until further notice."

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Sad King Billy posted:

The Pakleds also appear in that Klingon interactive movie, Gowron has to interrogate one.

Riker comes off very badly in this episode. I would go so far as to agree with Jellico that he is a bad first officer and doesn't deserve a command of his own, going by his showings in the series.

That's taking it a step too far, in my opinion. It'd be like saying that Kirk doesn't deserve a command of his own due to his error in judgment during the first Enterprise/Reliant engagement.

Riker made a huge mistake, but mistakes happen. He's entitled to them.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

vermin posted:

"Sir, please do not give our shield frequencies to the Romulan warbird. I am begging you."
"Come now, Mr Worf. Where would we be if we systematically gave into our paranoia at every opportunity?"
"They are requesting that we disarm our photon torpedoes and jettison them out an airlock. I'm setting the ship to red alert."
"Do as they say, I want to see where...diplomacy will take us."
"They are powering up their weapons. Sending a distress signal."
"Belay that. Mr Worf you are relieved of your duties and confined to your quarters until further notice."

I always liked that literally the first time Worf gets to shoot at things with the Defiant he and Sisko go from "Target their engines" or whatever bullshit they usually do to "Okay, just do whatever you want" over the course of something like 10 seconds. Of course Worf immediately takes this to mean "Blow them right the gently caress up" because as long as you aren't directly killing civilians The Sisko don't care.

Sad King Billy
Jan 27, 2006

Thats three of ours innit...to one of yours. You know mate I really think we ought to even up the average!

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

That's taking it a step too far, in my opinion. It'd be like saying that Kirk doesn't deserve a command of his own due to his error in judgment during the first Enterprise/Reliant engagement.

Riker made a huge mistake, but mistakes happen. He's entitled to them.

I did say through the course of the series, of the top of my head I can think of 4 other occasions.

1 Being defeated and boarded by the Ferengi in Rascals.

2. Falling for the hermaphrodite and trying to remove hir from hir world

3. Being unprofessional with Jellico.

4. Piss poor performance against the Duras sisters, yes I know they had their shield frequency but as soon as that happenef, Riker should have swatted them.

I have to admit though he did get more likable once he grew the beard, he was smug and arrogant beforehand.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Sad King Billy posted:

I have to admit though he did get more likable once he grew the beard, he was smug and arrogant beforehand.

Obligatory

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

Fun Shoe
Jellico was a terrible captain: a bad manager, a poor leader, and a dangerously reckless negotiator. He was also kind of a lovely person, who interprets advice as personal criticism, and can't stop himself from trying to bullshit a person he knows to literally have telepathic bullshit detection. But his decision to make Troi cover her tits on the bridge was correct.

Sad King Billy
Jan 27, 2006

shadok posted:

Jellico was a terrible captain: a bad manager, a poor leader, and a dangerously reckless negotiator. He was also kind of a lovely person, who interprets advice as personal criticism, and can't stop himself from trying to bullshit a person he knows to literally have telepathic bullshit detection. But his decision to make Troi cover her tits on the bridge was correct.

Jellico is very polarising, I'm not as convinced as I once was that he is a great Captain, I'm not holding him up as the prime example of a Starfleet Captain but Riker could have dealt with him a lot better.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Jellico was a good boss, but a bad leader.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

WampaLord posted:

They are smart

I think the moral is "don't underestimate people" but maybe I'm giving the episode too much credit.

Are the Pakleds really that dumb, though? They managed to kidnap a starfleet officer and force him to upgrade their weaponry, and got away with it scot-free. They also managed to scam the shields off a Romulan ship. They're the greatest con artists in the galaxy.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Tunicate posted:

Are the Pakleds really that dumb, though? They managed to kidnap a starfleet officer and force him to upgrade their weaponry, and got away with it scot-free. They also managed to scam the shields off a Romulan ship. They're the greatest con artists in the galaxy.

They are Donald Trumps. Complete idiots who are somehow able to scam people.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

They're perfectly intelligent, just don't have very well developed language and happen to look how chromosome problems look in a majority of species. They just look and sound retarded but are perfectly smart and capable. And they know how to milk it too.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

I'm posting this here: you know how Gene Roddenberry was a huge fan of 'secret history' where Spock assassinates JFK and Merlin was a space alien, etc? Well apparently the new transformers movie, (that I will never, ever see) has taken the idea and ran with it in a way that makes, say, Assassin's Creed seem downright restrained.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up

Nebakenezzer posted:

I'm posting this here: you know how Gene Roddenberry was a huge fan of 'secret history' where Spock assassinates JFK and Merlin was a space alien, etc? Well apparently the new transformers movie, (that I will never, ever see) has taken the idea and ran with it in a way that makes, say, Assassin's Creed seem downright restrained.

Megatron was the gun used to kill JFK

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

I'm so glad that I'm not the only one who feels that way about Jellico. He's a good guy personally, but I don't think he did enough to earn the trust and respect of his crew. Riker absolutely should have adapted to a change in command faster, but without much warning, Jellico just came in and started changing things. It's no wonder the crew was shaken by the sudden changes.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Tunicate posted:

That's just the writers making our heroes even dumber for this one episode. For gently caress's sake, Deanna is actually useful for once and they just ignore her.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

WampaLord posted:

That's just the writers making our heroes even dumber for this one episode. For gently caress's sake, Deanna is actually useful for once and they just ignore her.

Going by Data's dialogue, they're constantly forgetting who and what Troi is and need to be reminded.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

WampaLord posted:

Idk based on the sensor scans the Pakled scam worked on a bunch of other races. The last thread speculated on this

Angry Salami posted:

I love that when they scan the Pakled ship, it's got a bunch of different species' technology... including Romulan.

Yeah, that's right. The Pakled tried their "We need things that make us go" routine on the loving Romulans and got away with it!

Snak posted:

It's possible that the Pakleds don't use the same approach with every one they scam. They probably heard the federation was super into helping people and working together.

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

"Hello friend Romulans. We found a message. It is from something called 'Starfleet Intelligence.' We want to read the message, so we can be intelligent, too. We can't read the message It is something called 'encrypted.' Can you help us read the message, so we can be intelligent?
We cannot send you the message. Our computers are not compatible. They are obsolete. You could beam over someone to help us read them on our computer? Someone smart?"

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

I'm so glad that I'm not the only one who feels that way about Jellico. He's a good guy personally, but I don't think he did enough to earn the trust and respect of his crew. Riker absolutely should have adapted to a change in command faster, but without much warning, Jellico just came in and started changing things. It's no wonder the crew was shaken by the sudden changes.

The Greatest Gen episodes on Chain of Command really kind of nail it with Jellico, I think. It seems like the writers maybe wanted him to seem like a no-nonsense dude who's just out of his element on the Enterprise, but the way it's written he's just kind of a doofus who's never really right about anything. Even his diplomatic tactics are bottom of the barrel douchebag power plays that just blow up in his face.

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

If Jellico had been in an episode of TOS the script rightly would have made him appear unambiguously incompetent. As it is, I think the writers probably weren't going for that but he seems like a horrible leader who ends up being lucky rather than effective.

At any rate, in the context of the Federation's ideals and Jellico's cover-up of Starfleet's illegal activities, Riker's insubordination seems more excusable.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
It's June 16th once again.

You bastards all know what that means.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

King Hong Kong posted:

If Jellico had been in an episode of TOS the script rightly would have made him appear unambiguously incompetent. As it is, I think the writers probably weren't going for that but he seems like a horrible leader who ends up being lucky rather than effective.

Yeah I think Jellico's incompetence isn't actually how his character was intended, it's just a consequence of the writers' inability to write competent officers as shown by the rest of the TNG cast in almost every TNG episode.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

Gonz posted:

:toot:

To celebrate, I've decided to watch "These Are the Voyages" instead of skipping it.

:confuoot:

I thought I wanted to let it end on "Terra Prime," but I just can't let the last scene in Trek be an infant's death. So I'm going to watch an episode I already know is lovely. At least Cmdr. Shran is in it. :shrug:

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Gonz posted:

Number One, look at this. This doesn't look like me at all, these children are doing a terrible job. Are they challenged?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Orange and Lumpy

give this kid a field commission

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

vermin posted:

Number One, look at this. This doesn't look like me at all, these children are doing a terrible job. Are they challenged?

I don't know, I think the resemblance is rather striking.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer
Captain Picard is a man who lives on the bridge of the Enterprise.

He has fish and model spaceships in his bedroom, which is next to the bridge so whenever he wants to sleep he doesn't have far to go.

Picard likes tea. He likes his tea to be hot. He also likes wine because he is French and French people like wine.

One time Picard was stolen by the Borg, but he escaped and is ok now.

I love you Captain Picard.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

The Bloop posted:

Orange and Lumpy

give this kid a field commission

Number One? Where are my hands and feet?

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

Mister Kingdom posted:

Number One? Where are my hands and feet?

In your sleevies. Wait, wrong joke.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

Fun Shoe

spincube posted:

He has fish and model spaceships in his bedroom, which is next to the bridge so whenever he wants to sleep he doesn't have far to go.

That's not Picard's bedroom, his bedroom is down on deck 9 where he keeps his books and his space flute, and where he takes his space ladies. Everybody knows that.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

shadok posted:

That's not Picard's bedroom, his bedroom is down on deck 9 where he keeps his books and his space flute, and where he takes his space ladies. Everybody knows that.

Deck 9, huh? Right above 10 Forward? :shittypop:

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

sometimes he bangs on the floor with a three foot scale model of the enterprise when ten forward gets too "lit"

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Your bedroom got blowed up, sir.

drat, maybe I shouldn't have put it right at the front of the ship.