Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

:coolfish:

:coolfish:

Owns.

Also very owns. Echoing the "Mordian as a fleet ranking is really awesome" thing. Do you have any more models with this theme or is it just the one squad?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
So this is what I'm thinking of leaning towards for my basic 1K list. It's similar to what folks have seen before but I'm curious as to what Ork players and others think based on how the game has played thus far.

pre:
998 Points - Orks - 6 CP

HQ	Big Mek			55
	Kustom Force Field	20

HQ	Weirdboy		62

T	19 Slugga Boyz		114
	Nob w/ Power Klaw	25

T	19 Slugga Boyz		114
	Nob w/ Power Klaw	25

T	30 Shoota Boyz		180
	2 Big Shootas		12
	Nob w/ Power Klaw	25

HS	Battlewagon		161
	Deff Rolla		19

HS	Battlewagon		161
	Deff Rolla		19
Thoughts? This is mostly with what I have now; long term I could add a third big shoota and drop a boy from the 20 man squad to give the Weirdboy a ride.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

BaconCopter posted:

Also very owns. Echoing the "Mordian as a fleet ranking is really awesome" thing. Do you have any more models with this theme or is it just the one squad?
Thanks!

I just have the one squad, and only the ones shown here are actually finished. I have enough metal Catachans to round out the squad and do one more, I think (as well as a couple more Mordians for leaders). Unfortunately, GW axed Convict Squads in 7th Edition (part of the "we don't make minis for it" unit purge) so I lost the impetus to finish the entire unit.

I have another naval-trooper Mordian (with grenade launcher!) finished, but he's in a different color scheme; he's in the "house colors" of the crew from our now-long-defunct Rogue Trader RPG campaign. I'll post photos of him tonight.

I also have a conversion for a Tallarn standard bearer with a Plasma Gun that I did back in ... 4th Edition maybe? I was really happy with the way he turned out. Then they changed the Codex so standard bearers can't also take special weapons. :argh: I love doing conversions, but 40K's ever-changing army list permutations have sort of soured me on actually putting in the effort. Did they actually bring back IG Convicts for 8th? Can you still give Veterans shotguns instead of lasguns?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Do models that are embarked on a transport count for the Weirdboy Waaagh! Energy rule?

quote:

Add 1 to any Psychic test rolls made for this model for every 10 friendly Ork models within 10".

The transport rules specify how many models they can carry. If the transport is within 10" of the model, and it's carrying additional models, then by definition wouldn't those carried models also count for being within 10"?

If I have 9 models surrounding the Weirdboy (including the Weirdboy) does he get the bonus?

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Do models that are embarked on a transport count for the Weirdboy Waaagh! Energy rule?

The transport rules specify how many models they can carry. If the transport is within 10" of the model, and it's carrying additional models, then by definition wouldn't those carried models also count for being within 10"?

If I have 9 models surrounding the Weirdboy (including the Weirdboy) does he get the bonus?

Models in transports generally don't count as being on the table. Like auras don't work in rides. I'd check the transport section to make sure.

Black_Nexus
Mar 15, 2007

Nurgle loves ya

TheChirurgeon posted:

Any update on these? Trying to wrap things up so srm can create the OP

I forgot how long it was since I painted them, so I am touching up enough to show off a squad + Tank first. Should have them by tomorrow

Agentdark
Dec 30, 2007
Mom says I'm the best painter she's ever seen. Jealous much? :hehe:
So I am about to strip the paint off my old scratch built skitari and repaint them as inquisition troops. What mixture of simple green should I use. Strait simple green or dilute with water.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

The transport rules don't explicitly say they can't, but I doubt anyone would let you have it. It's pretty clear that models in transports are not on the board for most purposes.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Naramyth posted:

Models in transports generally don't count as being on the table. Like auras don't work in rides. I'd check the transport section to make sure.

I did. It doesn't cover this particular aspect of it. It says that the unit cannot do anything or be affected in any way while embarked, and abilities that affect other units have no affect while the unit with that ability is embarked. The question is whether or not a unit that is embarked within the transport means that the models are carried within the transport and therefore count as being within 10". On the other hand the rules also say that a unit that is embarked is physically removed from the battlefield. Given the precedent of how things work in the other direction, and the instruction that the unit is removed from the battlefield while embarked, I would assume it means a model has to be physically present to be counted.

That still leaves the question of whether or not "for every X" models means that if I have one model it counts or not. Does a unit of 11 boyz have the option to have 2 big shootas? Will a weirdboy always get a +1 to Psychic rolls since he's within 10" of himself?

Corrode posted:

The transport rules don't explicitly say they can't, but I doubt anyone would let you have it. It's pretty clear that models in transports are not on the board for most purposes.

Yeah I think the bit about physically removing the unit from the battlefield is sufficient to say that the models gone. Shame, it would be fun to see my Weirdboyz auto-pass psychic rolls (and generally have their heads explode) by being surrounded by a bunch of battlewagons.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
I think the transport rules are pretty clear: They are not there. They​ can't affect anything or be affected by anything.

They do make an exception for shooting out and that's about it.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Naramyth posted:

So... if you use Deathleaper's special rule to target a character and that model hides in a transport until turn 4, does that mean Deathleaper can't ever come on the table and will be automatically destroyed?

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

TheChirurgeon posted:

:siren:MANS PHOTOS REQUEST:siren:

Hey Zaphod/Sykic--either of you have an army/squad shot of your Thousand Sons I can use for an army banner for the new thread?

Also if anyone has an IG faction they want included, we still have room for Tallarn, Elysian, Mordian, Praetorian, Tanith, Terrax, and Vostroyan. e: And also Renegades/Lost and the Damned! If you've got some of them, post the gently caress out of them

Any submissions due before Saturday.

What about this?

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007

xtothez posted:

So... if you use Deathleaper's special rule to target a character and that model hides in a transport until turn 4, does that mean Deathleaper can't ever come on the table and will be automatically destroyed?

Similar to this, I've been wondering if you roll for Orikan's Empowerment while he's in a transport or waiting on the tomb world. It doesn't really say you don't? It just says at the start of your turn, roll.

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man

OhDearGodNo posted:

What about this?

I don't know what this is, but it's rad as gently caress.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

TKIY posted:

I think the transport rules are pretty clear: They are not there. They​ can't affect anything or be affected by anything.

They do make an exception for shooting out and that's about it.

So if they can shoot out, and the rule says they're "embarked on the model", doesn't that mean they would be within 10" of the Weirdboy?

I love this rule.

And does anyone know if "for every 10 models" means that if you have one model it's +1?

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

And does anyone know if "for every 10 models" means that if you have one model it's +1?

I'm pretty sure "for every 10" means divided by 10, rounded down. The question about if the weirdboy himself counts is interesting though, considering auras apply to the character giving them usually, the intent isn't really clear and the wording is vague.

I don't have the rules in front of me for the transport but I can see how it's unclear. There is already a few things I feel they need to FAQ/errata in 8th.

EDIT: VVVVVV Agreed. Tired of the thread talking about how bad the thread is/how bad certain posters are. Just post about the game and show cool mans.

Salynne fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Jun 15, 2017

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Gotta say, peeps posting their cool mans over the last few weeks has been a highlight of the thread. You dudes should keep posting your cool stuff.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

So if they can shoot out, and the rule says they're "embarked on the model", doesn't that mean they would be within 10" of the Weirdboy?

I love this rule.

The shooting thing is the exception. The general rule is they are not there. So the general rule applies here.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

General Olloth posted:

I'm pretty sure "for every 10" means divided by 10, rounded down. The question about if the weirdboy himself counts is interesting though, considering auras apply to the character giving them usually, the intent isn't really clear and the wording is vague.

I don't have the rules in front of me for the transport but I can see how it's unclear. There is already a few things I feel they need to FAQ/errata in 8th.

EDIT: VVVVVV Agreed. Tired of the thread talking about how bad the thread is/how bad certain posters are. Just post about the game and show cool mans.

The Weirdboy definitely counts for himself. Where did you see that you have to round down?

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth
I don't think he meant it says round down but that ots the sensible assumption. 15 mans =1.5= 1.

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007
^ Yeah maybe my explanation was weird.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

The Weirdboy definitely counts for himself. Where did you see that you have to round down?

Wording of "for every". 4 isn't 10, it's not a 10 for there to be one for every. 4 models should be +0. 14 models should be +1. 26 models should be +2. There are only 2 10's in 26.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Hra Mormo posted:

I don't know what this is, but it's rad as gently caress.

Thanks- it's for my beastman army I'm putting together for the NOVA Narrative- I know I've posted it before however I decided to take some effort to have some sort of background.

Also adding the Gors that'll make up the bulk of the army, I just need to decide on a base.

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

The true enemy of humanity is disorder.
Is it a no-no to talk about 3rd party miniatures here? Such as the RagingHeroes range?

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

a cock shaped fruit posted:

Is it a no-no to talk about 3rd party miniatures here? Such as the RagingHeroes range?

Go hog wild. I think people find Chinese recast discussion a little distasteful, but I don't think anyone cares about third party proxies, though you may get dragged a little for Chesty Commissars.

Is Raging Heroes the one with the Great Unclean One-alike named Scro'tumm Bh'oss?

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Some praetorians for the banner image from way back when.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Kromlech meganobz are better than GW meganobz.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

General Olloth posted:

^ Yeah maybe my explanation was weird.

Wording of "for every". 4 isn't 10, it's not a 10 for there to be one for every. 4 models should be +0. 14 models should be +1. 26 models should be +2. There are only 2 10's in 26.

Fair enough. I can live with that interpretation.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Yeast posted:

Some praetorians for the banner image from way back when.

gently caress yeah, owns

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

The true enemy of humanity is disorder.

mango sentinel posted:

Scro'tumm Bh'oss?

I.... was not aware. But now I want to search.

Busty commissars aside, was actually looking mostly at their SoB range of figures, wish I had backed when I had the chance. Would love a small-ish army of them.

Edit: Like their War Pulpit

Strapping naked ladies to it aside, it's a pretty badass walker design.

a cock shaped fruit fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Jun 16, 2017

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!
Bigly marine snap fit looked at in depth.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xyISnIBMweo

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
Any recommendations for decent cheap basing sand?

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Thundercloud posted:

Bigly marine snap fit looked at in depth.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xyISnIBMweo

I've assembled one squad of Intercessors, the command section and one of the Inceptors so far and they're pretty drat sweet.

It's a small but appreciated change but the lenses in the helmet aren't just flat like usual marines, it's a little sliver of plastic which makes it that much easier to paint.

Gonna have to work like a madman as I've got until the 28th to assemble and paint all the marine stuff to face my mates necrons in our first 8th ed game and my first proper 40k game in about 10 years.

Xarlaxas
Sep 2, 2011

Who speaks for the Man's cub?

I.... was not aware. But now I want to search.

Busty commissars aside, was actually looking mostly at their SoB range of figures, wish I had backed when I had the chance. Would love a small-ish army of them.

Strapping naked ladies to it aside, it's a pretty badass walker design.

I'm quite fond of their Kurganovas and Iron Empire minis. I'm getting some of the former to make a Shadow War Kill-team, and, maybe, one day, an actual Guard army.

The Jailbirds would make good Catachan/Conscript/I want a pin-up girl armies I guess. Or maybe even Necromunda gangs.

I really want to like their SoB stuff, but I have this thing where I cannot accept SoBs that don't have the Fleur-de-Lys. It's probably my Joan of Arc complex. :v:

I'm getting my hands on some of the Russian SoBs (hopefully tomorrow) and they look like they'll be pretty sweet.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

goose willis posted:

Go to the beach and boil it.

Black_Nexus
Mar 15, 2007

Nurgle loves ya

goose willis posted:

I bought a giant bag of playground sand from a Rona store, cheap as hell

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

I use sand I stole from a children's playground and I didn't boil it.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
playground sand + sieve.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Can you just put units inside of units in this edition? For example, is there any reason you couldn't just put a commissar in the middle of a conscript squad?

Mugaaz
Mar 1, 2008

WHY IS THERE ALWAYS SOME JUSTICE WARRIOR ON EVERY FORUM
:qq::qq::qq:

The Kingfish posted:

I use sand I stole from a children's playground and I didn't boil it.

Assume that means you're going Death Guard for 8th?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

susan
Jan 14, 2013
What's y'alls opinion on Brigade Detachment at 2000pts right now? Just not worth it shoving in all the bargain options, or are there real competitive builds (especially for Space Marines) that could work out to get those sweet sweet +9 Command points?

• Locked thread