Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sleeptalker
Feb 17, 2011

I shouldn't be surprised that the Bentext is just :umberto: but I still am a little.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Vib Rib posted:

McCoy recognizes that Trump inspires so much hate that someone thought his only recourse was literal attempted murder.
However, in McCoy's mind, this is not a reflection of Trump in any way.

Trump creates waves of hate nationwide but it's not his fault or a result of anything he does.
Holy poo poo, I didn't realize until your post that the cartoon was a) by McCoy, and b) not saying that Trump's hatefulness is dangerous. I accidentally AGCed it for myself. :psyduck:

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
:britain:

Guardian:

"Steve Bell on David Cameron's comments on Theresa May – David Cameron has said Theresa May will face pressure for a softer version of Brexit in the wake of losing her parliamentary majority, adding she should consult more widely on the process"

Independent:

Times:

Evening Standard:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

This is adorable.

That anti-NRA button is just the most "precious" thing.

"The Anti-Joe Arpaio" is like the most complimentary title you could give anyone in law enforcement.

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Jun 15, 2017

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment I'm alive, I pray for death!

DJ Turbo Punch posted:

Wait, I thought the Nazis were on your side, Garrison. What's the context here, exactly?

No no no, haven't you been paying attention? People who oppose Nazism, even to the point of just saying that it's bad and doing nothing else, are the real Nazis, duh. :downs:

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

The only proper use of free speech is to criticize other people's use of it.

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

"Is this the ideal world that you envisioned?"
"I guess you could say that."

Pillbug

Pants Donkey posted:

Dum dee dum dee dum...

Okay, what quote about Palin did they latch onto?

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

What is Sputnik News up to these days?

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

MelvinBison posted:

Sarah Palin's website at some point had a map of vulnerable Democratic legislators who voted for Obamacare with crosshairs over their faces. Gabrielle Giffords was one of them. I don't think anyone sincerely believed that that incited the shooter, it was just an unfortunate coincidence and demonstrated how incendiary conservative rhetoric had become.

Sandpuppy
Jun 16, 2012

Social Abscess
of the
Universe

MelvinBison posted:

She ran a PAC ad that used crosshairs to target Giffords and others in red districts that voted for the ACA:

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Shangri-Law School posted:

*YAY TEAM RUSSIA*

Ignoring ideology, most of these are just terrible cartoons, even the ones not drawn by Rall.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

ahh yes big strong theresa may

i'm guessing this cartoon was made more than a week ago

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Shangri-Law School posted:

UKIP are a bunch of racist bastards and this is as transparent as trying to ban flag burning because of the fire hazard.
Saudi requirements are actually causing real health issues for women.
No, the same is not true of kevlar.
Todd Role is a no talent rear end clown working for a gay murdering dictator.

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

"Is this the ideal world that you envisioned?"
"I guess you could say that."

Pillbug

Pakled posted:

Sarah Palin's website at some point had a map of vulnerable Democratic legislators who voted for Obamacare with crosshairs over their faces. Gabrielle Giffords was one of them. I don't think anyone sincerely believed that that incited the shooter, it was just an unfortunate coincidence and demonstrated how incendiary conservative rhetoric had become.

Sandpuppy posted:

She ran a PAC ad that used crosshairs to target Giffords and others in red districts that voted for the ACA:

:stare: Unrelated or not, that's still hosed up.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Jedit posted:

Politifact wondered that a couple of years ago when the quote was first made, especially as the death toll in the Civil War had been revised upwards by 225,000.

Turns out it's True.
Well holy loving poo poo. Also, "only" 2/3 of those are suicides?!

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Rall is terrible even when it comes to spouting propaganda for a fascist regime. I honestly wonder if he sees it as just a paycheck or if he thinks of it as revenge against america and more specifically the newspapers that won't hire him.

Stevoblunt
Mar 12, 2008

Tei posted:

I believe some people is attracted to a futuristic setting for their novels because they are free from constrains. But thats not science-fiction. Is more like epic fantasy.

Science-fiction is about "what if" scenarios, where you invent a new technology or concept and write stories that explore what are the consequences of that "what if".

Theres nothing bad with epic fantasy with a futuristic setting, epic fantasy is awesome. Science-fiction is generally bad, bland, poorly written and made by old people that hate change. I love science fiction,... I hate science fiction but I also love it.

For instance "what if a lab rat gained sentience and spent his time posting in political cartoon threads on a has-been website". That would be a fascinating story.

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

Angepain posted:

ahh yes big strong theresa may

i'm guessing this cartoon was made more than a week ago

Yeah, it was after Trump's visit to Europe.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I'm really confused, why are they comparing arbitrary words inside a nuclear power plant or something?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Stevoblunt posted:

For instance "what if a lab rat gained sentience and spent his time posting in political cartoon threads on a has-been website". That would be a fascinating story.

Sapience. Rats already have sentience. Sci-fi nearly always get these words wrong! :eng101:

Stevoblunt
Mar 12, 2008

Cat Mattress posted:

Sapience. Rats already have sentience. Sci-fi nearly always get these words wrong! :eng101:

Today I learned a new word! Thanks.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Wonder how many of these cartoonists complaining about the leftist rhetoric being the fault of the shooting also complained about rightist rhetoric being responsible for all the shootings that targeted minorities. (And ended in causalities)

But nah, the party that constantly maligns minorities, the poor, and lgbt+ can't be at fault for when those groups get targeted, the person was crazy!

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
We call ourselves Homo Sapiens for a reason. But its okay, people confuse those words all the time.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Cloud Potato posted:

Independent:

Not often the Independent has to be told to gently caress off, but there's no question why Grenfell Tower burned with estimated loss of 150 lives, mainly children. It's because the landlords were told to pretty up their block by the rich cunts across the road who culdn't bear to have their view spoiled, and decided to save £5000 by not going for the non-flammable cladding.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Pants Donkey posted:

Dum dee dum dee dum...

Just a note: the wording implies that reading Karl Marx, at all, is tantamount to all those other things. Which side tries to censor, again?

Also, lol at pot-smoker.

Faustian Bargain
Apr 12, 2014

You'd think Branco would realize that his need to label everything points to him being terrible at drawing recognizable things.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

Jedit posted:

Not often the Independent has to be told to gently caress off, but there's no question why Grenfell Tower burned with estimated loss of 150 lives, mainly children. It's because the landlords were told to pretty up their block by the rich cunts across the road who culdn't bear to have their view spoiled, and decided to save £5000 by not going for the non-flammable cladding.
Yeah, the Steve Bell version sums it up better/more brutally:

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Samurai Sanders posted:

I'm really confused, why are they comparing arbitrary words inside a nuclear power plant or something?

I think it's a really ham-fisted reference to the "Hillary sold uranium to the Russians" thing.

When she was Secretary of State, she (along with many other government officials) signed off on the purchase of a Canadian company that mines uranium in the US by the Russian government. When the Trump-Russia allegations started springing up, the right dug that up and tried to present it as something sinister.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Vib Rib posted:

"Hateful rhetoric can be dangerous and words have real impact. We should always be careful and respectful in what we say, especially in regards to society and politics." -Ben Garrison, 2017

McCoy recognizes that Trump inspires so much hate that someone thought his only recourse was literal attempted murder.
However, in McCoy's mind, this is not a reflection of Trump in any way.

Trump creates waves of hate nationwide but it's not his fault or a result of anything he does.

I'm not sure I'm comfortable with the argument that if someone shoots a politician, it's the politician's fault. "Booth never would've shot Lincoln if he hadn't freed our slaves."

Lurdiak posted:

This is adorable.

I didn't realize before that Zelda is quite dark-skinned. I like that; a lot of people assume everyone is Scandinavia is pale blond.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Pakled posted:

I think it's a really ham-fisted reference to the "Hillary sold uranium to the Russians" thing.

When she was Secretary of State, she (along with many other government officials) signed off on the purchase of a Canadian company that mines uranium in the US by the Russian government. When the Trump-Russia allegations started springing up, the right dug that up and tried to present it as something sinister.
But that cartoon is coming out now? Do they realize that Hillary does not currently have any government job and also kind of a pariah on the left anyway?

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Jun 16, 2017

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Jurgan posted:

I didn't realize before that Zelder is quite dark-skinned. I like that; a lot of people assume everyone is Scandinavia is pale blond.

That is a different character. You can tell because she isn't puking or yelling.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Samurai Sanders posted:

But that cartoon is coming out now? Do they realize that Hillary does not currently have any government job and also kind of a pariah on the left anyway?

Some people (like Stantis/Allie or whoever writes Prickly City) are convinced she's going to run again in 2020. I'm pretty sure if she tried, though, she'd get laughed off the convention floor.

Lurdiak posted:

That is a different character. You can tell because she isn't puking or yelling.

Well, the point stands. Though most strips don't go multiple days without showing the title character.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Jurgan posted:

I'm not sure I'm comfortable with the argument that if someone shoots a politician, it's the politician's fault. "Booth never would've shot Lincoln if he hadn't freed our slaves."
I don't think it works that way either, I'm just pointing out how McCoy's logic appears to work. He's blaming Trump Hate specifically for the act, implying it's disastrous, wide-spread, and causing violence. It's not that Trump is causing attempted murder, it's that McCoy's implying Trump has no influence whatsoever on creating the hate around him.
Again, it's moot because McCoy obviously doesn't really believe national discourse or rhetoric affects the actions of violent people anyway.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Begemot posted:

Rall is terrible even when it comes to spouting propaganda for a fascist regime. I honestly wonder if he sees it as just a paycheck or if he thinks of it as revenge against america and more specifically the newspapers that won't hire him.

Who the gently caress cares what Rall thinks?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Apraxin posted:

Yeah, the Steve Bell version sums it up better/more brutally:

Whats the sign on top meant to be?

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
It's the Tory logo, I believe.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

Synthbuttrange posted:

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Synthbuttrange posted:

You should note both the people refusing to update the fire regulations and the people who went with the flammable cladding were all Tory party members.

They're officially the Conservative Party, literally everyone either calls them Tories or Greedy Incompetent Tossers.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Why a badly drawn tree through?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

FAR LEFT TERROR!

*drawn on the far right hand side of the image*

Like, at least loving try to be clever about your composition.

• Locked thread