Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

limited
Dec 10, 2005
Limited Sanity
Handy hint for Supports too. You can use the medic shotgun and get all your buffs. Granted it's not as fun and meaty as the AA12, has a smaller magazine, but it reloads quicker, and the healing just might save someone during a boss wave.

And just for shits and giggles, the penetration perk works with the Firebug's trench gun if you want to set entire waves on fire. :black101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Have they fixed Firebug yet?

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Shumagorath posted:

Have they fixed Firebug yet?

Define "fixed."

If by "fixed" you mean "made actually useful," then yes, they have.

If by "fixed" you mean "made not-broken levels of overpowered and mandatory on Suicidal+," then also yes, they have.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"
I think tap firing into the ground is still more effective, but I haven't tested it and even if it is, I feel like it doesn't really matter. The game is in a good place balance-wise.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Propaganda Hour posted:

I think tap firing into the ground is still more effective, but I haven't tested it and even if it is, I feel like it doesn't really matter. The game is in a good place balance-wise.

I don't know if tap-firing is optimal but it's good for ammo conservation so you work DoT into the raw damage from outright burning them.

But Firebug has its own version of "headshots" where if you hit the sweetspot between an enemy's feet and the ground they're on, they'll take damage from burning, direct damage from the fire, and then direct damage from the splash caused by the flames hitting the ground. There's an audio cue that you're hitting the right spot via a distinct sizzling noise and the damage feels around double that of just burning the zed directly. It works with every flamethrower-type weapon.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer
Firebug owns. Got my Suicidal Tragic Kingdom achieve with it earlier.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Can confirm. Played alongside one earlier and he solo'd three skrakes and two fleshpounds in roughly ten seconds.

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」

Propaganda Hour posted:

On HoE for me its almost required. Tap firing at the ground with the ground fire perk is great a wiping down trash mobs and it'll go whole hog on Scrakes and FPs. I generally go CaulkNBurn and Flamethrower. Use the Caulk for trash stuff and switch to the Thrower for the heavier zeds. Ground fire perk is amazing right now. I usually aim just in front of their feet and that usually works in getting both them and the ground lit up.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
KF2 is in in the best state balance wise its ever been.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Revolver Bunker posted:

On HoE for me its almost required. Tap firing at the ground with the ground fire perk is great a wiping down trash mobs and it'll go whole hog on Scrakes and FPs. I generally go CaulkNBurn and Flamethrower. Use the Caulk for trash stuff and switch to the Thrower for the heavier zeds. Ground fire perk is amazing right now. I usually aim just in front of their feet and that usually works in getting both them and the ground lit up.

Why wouldn't you use the microwave gun over the flamethrower? They added ground fire to it recently.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Theta Zero posted:

Define "fixed."

If by "fixed" you mean "made actually useful," then yes, they have.

If by "fixed" you mean "made not-broken levels of overpowered and mandatory on Suicidal+," then also yes, they have.
Cool because that's the Bug I enjoyed when they first debuted the class.

Is it too much to ask if they made Hans fun to fight?

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Shumagorath posted:

Cool because that's the Bug I enjoyed when they first debuted the class.

Is it too much to ask if they made Hans fun to fight?

Hans is easy if you go all Sharpshooter with a railgun as it just melts him.

Hans is fun if you have a Berserker to tank him while the team focus fires.

Hans is just kind of okay. He's definitely not as fun (or easy) as Kevin.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Theta Zero posted:

Why wouldn't you use the microwave gun over the flamethrower? They added ground fire to it recently.

I feel like I never get good damage out of the micro gun, I just can't figure how to use it properly.

And yea, Hans is still a bullet sponge that can end your game pretty hard.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
I'd like another boss

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Alteisen posted:

I feel like I never get good damage out of the micro gun, I just can't figure how to use it properly.

And yea, Hans is still a bullet sponge that can end your game pretty hard.

It's all about which enemy types you engage with it. Anything with a lot of metal on it is weak to the MG but resists flames. Anything with little to no metal is weak to flames but resists the MG. I've posted a couple guides on it in this thread but that's the TLDR. Switch to the MG when you are seeing less clots, crawlers, and stalkers, and more sirens, fleshpounds, and husks.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

aniviron posted:

It's all about which enemy types you engage with it. Anything with a lot of metal on it is weak to the MG but resists flames. Anything with little to no metal is weak to flames but resists the MG. I've posted a couple guides on it in this thread but that's the TLDR. Switch to the MG when you are seeing less clots, crawlers, and stalkers, and more sirens, fleshpounds, and husks.

What about scrakes?

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

MG is better against skrakes and bloats iirc.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
I'm not really sure what the matriarch is but put her in as a boss. Also give me Harry Enfield.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Theta Zero posted:

Setting everything on fire is way better than a fire beam IMO

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」

Theta Zero posted:

I feel like I get more use out of the ammo for the flamethrower then the microwave gun. More ammo and better control. Microwave Gun is still great with its backblast.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Revolver Bunker posted:

I feel like I get more use out of the ammo for the flamethrower then the microwave gun. More ammo and better control. Microwave Gun is still great with its backblast.

I could see that. I've been running burny-Firebug instead of damage-y Firebug and I like the flamethrower just because you can be more liberal with it than the microwave gun. It winds up with me getting more assists than the highest-scoring player has kills and it's a blast as long as I don't care about killing large zeds quickly.

limited
Dec 10, 2005
Limited Sanity

Theta Zero posted:

I could see that. I've been running burny-Firebug instead of damage-y Firebug and I like the flamethrower just because you can be more liberal with it than the microwave gun. It winds up with me getting more assists than the highest-scoring player has kills and it's a blast as long as I don't care about killing large zeds quickly.
It doesn't hurt it's much more fun just to lay down a burning swathe of napalm while laughing like a maniac rather than pew-pewing with a laser.

Granted it's a disgusting waste of ammo, but so satisfying. :unsmigghh:

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」

limited posted:

It doesn't hurt it's much more fun just to lay down a burning swathe of napalm while laughing like a maniac rather than pew-pewing with a laser.

Granted it's a disgusting waste of ammo, but so satisfying. :unsmigghh:

I wish the ground fire perk applied to the molotovs so I could slam a bottle down in front of a horde and force them to wade through it. I'm always amazed how much use I get from the CaulkNBurn and ground fire even on HoE. It just melts trash zeds so well.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Molotovs are just pretty bad in general though. They're as expensive as regular grenades are for any other class, many of which are excellent- frags, dynamite, flashes, and first aid nades are all fantastic. Then Firebug gets a throwable that does what you can already do but worse, and it's really expensive. I only ever throw them if I have a demo giving me free nades every round and even then I don't always remember to do it.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Away all Goats posted:

Setting everything on fire is way better than a fire beam IMO

Yeah, this. It doesn't matter if the MG is optimum strategy - the flamethrower is too much fun. I have that and the dragon's breath shotgun and when I get my lvl25 zed time just open that thing up all around me.

The Sideshow map is fun, and camping on the rollercoaster track is a great spot, especially if you stumble a big zed and they fall off and have to run all the way back around again. I think if you're forward enough nothing even comes at you from behind so it's all from one direction and you can also hit them at range as they approach.
I guess it's time to play on HoE. All my guys are at 25 so I don't have an excuse.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

I just got this through PS+ and having a great time, but could someone explain how loot works? Can you unlock new characters?

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Nah, the loot is just accessories, clothes and weapon skins.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Is there any chance at all of unlocking keys or should I just be scrapping all this poo poo.

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

Nah, you've gotta buy keys, it's stupid. Just scrap them.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Father Wendigo posted:

I just got this through PS+ and having a great time, but could someone explain how loot works? Can you unlock new characters?

You get one sweet drop once a day, resetting at around midnight your time. As of now there's only three characters, a medieval LARPer who is exclusive on the PC to anybody who owns Chivalry (I don't know how it works on the PS4), DJ Skully who is exclusive to those who bought the deluxe version, and a metal band drummer who is exclusive to whoever follows the Tripwire Steam group.

There doesn't seem to be tight restrictions on what can drop, just varying drop rates. I've gotten a katana skin that glows in the dark and I have multiple friends who've gotten a samuari helmet.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Theta Zero posted:

You get one sweet drop once a day, resetting at around midnight your time. As of now there's only three characters, a medieval LARPer who is exclusive on the PC to anybody who owns Chivalry (I don't know how it works on the PS4), DJ Skully who is exclusive to those who bought the deluxe version, and a metal band drummer who is exclusive to whoever follows the Tripwire Steam group.

There doesn't seem to be tight restrictions on what can drop, just varying drop rates. I've gotten a katana skin that glows in the dark and I have multiple friends who've gotten a samuari helmet.

The exclusive characters(and the sword) are automatically included in the PS4 version

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"
Looks like the next weekly adds Fleshpound variants:

Quarterpound, fleshpound, and a new boss: King fleshpound.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zff2VAA7-EM

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Propaganda Hour posted:

You know what they call Quarter Fleshpound in Burning Paris?

Foreskin Problems
Nov 4, 2012

It's doing fine, actually.
How are you finding a server with the weekly event? Matchmaking hasn't given me a game in twenty minutes of trying

Nevermind didn't know the browser allowed you to search for weekly

Foreskin Problems fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Jun 18, 2017

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Propaganda Hour posted:

Okay, the laser got me by surprise.

Severed
Jul 9, 2001

idspispopd
I actually wish there were more ranged enemy types like the Husk. I'd really like to see them add something to the equivalent of Doom's imp.. perhaps an alpha clot that can throw fire or something. But I am already getting a little tired of the re-skinned assets, something new altogether would be great.

Nomadic Scholar
Feb 6, 2013

Well, I finally tried this game out and played Firebug to lv 5. What should I know about this spitfireball of Doom.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Huh never noticed the line is fur coat and no knickers mate instead of bitches now, lame.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Nomadic Scholar posted:

Well, I finally tried this game out and played Firebug to lv 5. What should I know about this spitfireball of Doom.

Use the skill that increases your damage, you'll need it to be even somewhat on par with other perks in terms of damage output, and when you reach level 10 go for the skill that buffs your ground fire

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nomadic Scholar
Feb 6, 2013

Theta Zero posted:

I don't know if tap-firing is optimal but it's good for ammo conservation so you work DoT into the raw damage from outright burning them.

But Firebug has its own version of "headshots" where if you hit the sweetspot between an enemy's feet and the ground they're on, they'll take damage from burning, direct damage from the fire, and then direct damage from the splash caused by the flames hitting the ground. There's an audio cue that you're hitting the right spot via a distinct sizzling noise and the damage feels around double that of just burning the zed directly. It works with every flamethrower-type weapon.
Is this something specific to the firebug or is it just attached to their flame gear?