Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WaywardWoodwose
May 19, 2008

The woods are lovely, dark, and deep,
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.
FIDGET LIKE A BOSS. Not like some little kid with poor impulse control.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
People should stop bothering trying to manufacture simple hardware stuff like this.
Instead explain upfront that the kickstarter is about getting chinese sempai to notice you and attempt a knockoff.
Then refund everyone when the first ones pop up on aliexpress.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

unpacked robinhood posted:

People should stop bothering trying to manufacture simple hardware stuff like this.
Instead explain upfront that the kickstarter is about getting chinese sempai to notice you and attempt a knockoff.
Then refund everyone when the first ones pop up on aliexpress.
It's not the case with this specific timeline, but often the Western manufacturer (Kickstarter or otherwise) will contract with a Chinese manufacturer to produce X that they need and just let them keep the design and sell exact knockoffs in return for a better price on the one batch they care about.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Check out this eBay category:

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

CAROL posted:

all americans love the hamburger, the pizza, the K.F.C, etc. but hate kale, broccoli and other foods friendly towards health. this is the one true objective fact

as an american i can confirm.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Platystemon posted:

Check out this eBay category:

How can that possibly be profitable for them?

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Runcible Cat posted:

It's an infinity cube made of compacted radioactive waste

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Runcible Cat posted:

The auctions rarely end at 1¢, and when they do they’re loss leaders, getting the seller’s name at the top of search results and inflating their sales/feedback numbers. Less scrupulous sellers might cancel the auction under fraudulent pretenses if the winning bid is too low.

Filter by Buy it Now. There’s no reason to have an auction on a cheap new product like this.

Even then, a lot of them pull the trick where there are multiple items under the same listing to game eBay’s sorting. For some of the cube listings it’s a fabric case. Sometimes it will be things like spare parts.

e: The lowest real price at the moment is 2.62 USD with free shipping. It’s worth noting that the USPS loses money delivering small parcels from China.

Platystemon has a new favorite as of 10:51 on Jun 13, 2017

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Yeah, loss leaders. There's a shitload of south east asian companies trying to sell their cheap plastic crap on eBay and they're pretty desperate to get people to visit their page, getting one of their 1c listings to the top of the search page is one of the techniques they use. If you don't win the 1c auction they always have other 'buy it now' listings for the same item at different prices.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

I keep getting retarded ks ads

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

It's an infinity cube made of compacted radioactive waste

Compacted Beijing smog.

Platystemon posted:

The auctions rarely end at 1¢, and when they do they’re loss leaders, getting the seller’s name at the top of search results and inflating their sales/feedback numbers. Less scrupulous sellers might cancel the auction under fraudulent pretenses if the winning bid is too low.

Filter by Buy it Now. There’s no reason to have an auction on a cheap new product like this.

Even then, a lot of them pull the trick where there are multiple items under the same listing to game eBay’s sorting. For some of the cube listings it’s a fabric case. Sometimes it will be things like spare parts.

e: The lowest real price at the moment is 2.62 USD with free shipping. It’s worth noting that the USPS loses money delivering small parcels from China.

Ah, right. Thanks for the explanation!

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Open hole? Is this a gently caress wallet?

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Paladinus posted:

Open hole? Is this a gently caress wallet?

Would you say that you have a can-do attitude?

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Be your own sperm bank.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

The open hole made me think that had to be a Clickhole article parodying the minimalist wallet craze but nope it's the real deal.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Minimalist wallet.

Actually, I bet you could actually sell a wallet that looks like a roll of rubberbanded 100s but opens at one end to reveal your cards. Would be hilariously impractical and stupid, but that's what Kickstarter is for.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Numb Three Ers
Jul 7, 2007
What do you mean it's pronouced "numbers"?

Collateral Damage posted:

Minimalist wallet.

Actually, I bet you could actually sell a wallet that looks like a roll of rubberbanded 100s but opens at one end to reveal your cards. Would be hilariously impractical and stupid, but that's what Kickstarter is for.

And like most kickstarters it already exists.

https://www.amazon.com/One-Hundred-Dollar-Wallet-Bill/dp/B00QJ2RVPU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Why “leatherette” when you could have Tyvek®?

https://www.dynomighty.com/shop/Half-Dollar-Mighty-Wallet

https://www.monkeywallets.com/us/wallets/tyvek-wallet-by-monkey-wallets-dollar/

The ’bay.

This one is arguably the most true to the concept of just a wad of cash.

stringball
Mar 17, 2009

I suppose this is the best place for this: there's a "crowd funded journalism" (sounds as awful as you think) that is either a huge scam and/or money laundering. The "goal" of the website is to raise money for somebody to give an answer, show proof, simply ask someone something, and legal defenses for the brave alt-right heros

The staff posts a lot of them and has some strange poo poo, "$7,500 to pay the private investigator that found the original manuscript that proves obama ghost wrote his first book", "100,000 for Hillary to submit medical records to an independent panel of medical doctors for review (that FOUR people donated $25,00 each).

The Hilary one was never fulfilled so the people who donated can either donate to another cause or get 85% of the money refunded. There's a ton of things also that were never finished, with lots of fishy of high dollar donations, either this very alt-right website are very rich or it's money laundering. Assuming the 85% refunded isn't them also, s 15% of money that did literally nothing a good return?

The staff have created a large majority of the incentives, out of a large page only 5 of them (1 related to Hillary, 2 for obama) were solved, if anyone has an explanation for this website I would absolutely love to hear one'

obama book: https://www.wesearchr.com/bounties/obama-didnt-write-that

Hilary medical records: https://www.wesearchr.com/bounties/hillary-show-us-the-records

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1302396957/smart-cambridge-mask-you-and-clean-air-connected

Foglet
Jun 17, 2014

Reality is an illusion.
The universe is a hologram.
Buy gold.

The new Mortal Kombat is looking kinda meh.

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?
Of course it has a loving app.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

This feels like a joke-ad you'd see in the background of a cyberpunk movie.

"Breathe the air AND look stylish, with CleanweaveTM, because being able to breathe doesn't mean you don't have to look your best"

Coming soon in Q4 2055, Cleanweave2.0, now with isotope and SuperEbola filters!

Snuffman has a new favorite as of 16:40 on Jun 16, 2017

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

£25 is a pretty poo poo price for a disposable respirator, and gently caress off with the app stuff, but I can see a market for a non-PPE style respirator in places like China with really terrible air. But then they probably already exist, I'm sure.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Do those actually ever filter the really nasty stuff like fine diesel poo poo ?

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?

unpacked robinhood posted:

Do those actually ever filter the really nasty stuff like fine diesel poo poo ?

No. Any filter that did would be very hard to breathe through.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Not true, most industrial respirators can handle that sort of thing just fine.

Found Sound
Jun 8, 2010

who is even the target audience for a stylish respirator? the mask fetish crowd could do a whole lot better for their money

Forward Toward
Aug 14, 2015

No Tank You. not today tanks. Tank you very much.

TANK TANK TANK

VRRRRRRRRRRRRR

ReidRansom posted:

£25 is a pretty poo poo price for a disposable respirator, and gently caress off with the app stuff, but I can see a market for a non-PPE style respirator in places like China with really terrible air. But then they probably already exist, I'm sure.

They do. http://respro.com/pollution-masks Has been around for about 10 years.

Edit- No wait. Since 1993. So not a very new idea then...

Forward Toward has a new favorite as of 09:00 on Jun 17, 2017

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.

Found Sound posted:

who is even the target audience for a stylish respirator? the mask fetish crowd could do a whole lot better for their money

Ravers?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

The larger the filter area, the less force needed to draw a given volume of air through it. That's why proper masks have two bigass filter canisters.
That thing has a tiny filter canister. Either breathing through it is so difficult it counts as a workout all by itself, or the filter material is very open and doesn't filter out much.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Why do canisters have to be used if bigger filter = better? Why not go with a comfort barrier, a filter as big as the comfortable barrier, and a cosmetic top combined as a single mask?

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

What if... I made one of those high altitude training masks...

...but with bluetooth and an app?

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.

gschmidl posted:

What if... I made one of those high altitude training masks...

...but with bluetooth and an app?

I think you just invented iCrossfit

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

If I pull that off will they die?

ddiddles
Oct 21, 2008

Roses are red, violets are blue, I'm a schizophrenic and so am I

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

If I pull that off will they die?

It would be extremely painful.

canis minor
May 4, 2011

ReidRansom posted:

Have ordered one (as I've moved to London and will be cycling to work) - will try to test it. I've also looked at other alternatives, but weirdly enough, this one doesn't look that bad / from what people are saying you can breath through it easily, unlike the Respro. Have a look at other options though!

The bluetooth / app thing is still stupid idea though

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Companies like RZ Mask have been selling similar stuff for a long while already. Without the connectivity bs, of course.

edit: just one of the alternatives, as mentioned above.

yoloer420
May 19, 2006
There are functional masks that look very cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Graffiti artists wear them, so of course they're cool.