Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
There are 7 teams in the AL within 2 games of a wild card spot (10 if you count the three holding wild card spots). No team in the AL is more than 5.5 games back of a wild card spot. Meanwhile in the NL, not counting the two teams holding the wild card spots, the next closest team is 8 back of a WC spot.

:psyduck:

What a weird season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Rand alPaul posted:

Their inability to produce even a league average bullpen in one of their playoff runs was their undoing. I mean it's something teams do all the time, yet there has been a decade of bad bullpens in Detroit. It's baffling.

Wasn't one of the primary problems with the Tigers of old that they rushed every pitcher through the minors as quickly as possible and taking a very old philosophy that they'd figure things out in the majors?

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Timby posted:

They also drafted Jake Boone, Bret's son.

Does that make the Boones the first four-generation family in baseball?

Is there a Bell anywhere in the Minors yet?

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

There are 7 teams in the AL within 2 games of a wild card spot (10 if you count the three holding wild card spots). No team in the AL is more than 5.5 games back of a wild card spot. Meanwhile in the NL, not counting the two teams holding the wild card spots, the next closest team is 8 back of a WC spot.

:psyduck:

What a weird season.

The NL currently has 5 teams above .500. Right now every team in the NL with a record above .500 is holding on to a playoff spot.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

alpha_destroy posted:

The NL currently has 5 teams above .500. Right now every team in the NL with a record above .500 is holding on to a playoff spot.

The NL is pretty garbage this year overall. The NL WBest has three teams vying for the best in baseball and two teams vying for worst in baseball, the NL Centeral is hyper competitive not because everybody is good, but because everybody is dogshit and playing at or around .500, which means nobody is grabbing a WC spot and the only hope of getting to the playoffs in the Central is to win the division. Meanwhile the NL East is more or less already decided and it might actually be in the Mets' best interest to just not show up to their remaining games if only to spare more inevitable injuries in a season they're not going win anyway.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

alpha_destroy posted:

i like how the brewers are one of these teams and i would consider several players to be in slumps right now. gives me hope for the next couple seasons.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

cis autodrag posted:

i like how the brewers are one of these teams and i would consider several players to be in slumps right now. gives me hope for the next couple seasons.

After a strong September last year, they gave me a glimmer of hope that "hey, we may be back in a few seasons". I'm not going to be upset if we miss the playoffs this year, either.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry
The Angels have managed to go 9-8 (2 out of 3 vs the Astros and Yankees each) without Trout. Eric Young Jr. is having a terrific couple of weeks since he got brought in to replace Trout, and Maybin and Calhoun have been hitting really well too.

I don't expect it to continue until Trout's return because its the Angels we're talking about, but it'd suck to have to bench Young/Maybin while continuing to play Pujols/Cron/Valbuena at the 1B/DH positions. One of those outfielders needs to get a 1B glove because they'll keep putting Pujols at DH until he dies even though he is literally a below replacement level player at this point.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

iospace posted:

After a strong September last year, they gave me a glimmer of hope that "hey, we may be back in a few seasons". I'm not going to be upset if we miss the playoffs this year, either.

:yeah:

if they succumb to Attanasio's "win now" sickness this year I will be hecka upset. I just want to watch rookies play good and find their stride and worry about playoffs a couple seasons down the line.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

cis autodrag posted:

:yeah:

if they succumb to Attanasio's "win now" sickness this year I will be hecka upset. I just want to watch rookies play good and find their stride and worry about playoffs a couple seasons down the line.

Hopefully, for the Brewers fans sake, his "win now" sickness turns into actually spending good money on good players instead of allowing the team to trade the farm and spend lovely money like last time.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Thom P. Tiers posted:

Hopefully, for the Brewers fans sake, his "win now" sickness turns into actually spending good money on good players instead of allowing the team to trade the farm and spend lovely money like last time.

yeah, like i keep saying, the real test of Actual Boy Genius David Stearns will be in a couple years when he has to try to contend with Attanasio yelling in his ear.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

tadashi posted:

Wasn't one of the primary problems with the Tigers of old that they rushed every pitcher through the minors as quickly as possible and taking a very old philosophy that they'd figure things out in the majors?

I've read a bunch of weird theories and that seems to be one that makes the most sense. If you look at the crop of arms they've drafted and rushed to the majors, it's quite astonishing: Verlander, Porcello, Turner, Miller, Smyly -- all rushed, some of them played maybe 20 games in the minors before making major league debuts, all had command issues, bad secondary pitches.

Just stupid. They then switched gears and focused on drafting college relievers. Not starters, actual relievers, thinking they could instantly be useful in the majors. Woefully dumb, if they had just been patient they would have had decent arms by now.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
Case in point, Knebel will probably be an all star this year.

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

Alex Wood, dodgers' #1 ace

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Everyone crying that the Dodgers need a second ace failed to realize... it was Kershaw all along

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Aaron Judge is gonna hit 70 homers this year.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

len and jim are getting drunk here at tako right now

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast
Trip report from Citi Field: Scherzer good but he hits batters, Mets fans really hate Daniel Murphy but for the wrong reasons, nice park with great food options but steady diet of overhead airplane noise, lots of dingers and the apple is a stupid gimmick superior only to the Dinger Machine in Miami, specifically because it is less gaudy.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
Oh no we suck again!

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Pancakes posted:

Trip report from Citi Field: Scherzer good but he hits batters, Mets fans really hate Daniel Murphy but for the wrong reasons, nice park with great food options but steady diet of overhead airplane noise, lots of dingers and the apple is a stupid gimmick superior only to the Dinger Machine in Miami, specifically because it is less gaudy.

I was surprised just how loud the trains were when I went to a game in Seattle. You hear them on TV now and then but it just didn't stick out to me as much as it did in the park.

At least I assume they still have trains running by the stadium blowing whistles, this must have been almost a decade ago.

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

Intruder posted:

Oh no we suck again!

So do the Yankees!

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Intruder posted:

Oh no we suck again!

loving same :hfive:

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug
The Jays will never see .500.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

All the runs scored in the Brewers Padres matchup last night were off of dongs. Each team had at least two solo shots and a 3 run dinger. Thames put another one over the fence for the walkoff, giving the crew 4.

I'll take it.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
Twins are in first place in the middle of June, which is fun... but man, the rotation did not line up well for a series against Cleveland.

Nik Turley, who was in Indy ball last year (8-1 L)
Adam Wilk, who even the Mets decided they didn't need starting
Adalberto Mejia, 5.75 ERA who was demoted for a month and has been just as bad since he came back up
Kyle Gibson, who is 4-0 since being called back up thanks to insane run support (20, 14, 11, 6, and 2).

:bang: :emo:

Longpig Bard
Dec 29, 2004

Does anyone else get blank boxes with 3 diagonal lines across them when they try to watch vids on https://www.mlb.com ? I'm pretty sure its adblock causing it but I'm not turning that off, is there a fix you can do with adblock?

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

LoCain hit two taters last night. Cain will probably, or at least should, be dealt at the trade deadline. This got me thinking about where Cain ranks among Royals center fielders. At the end of the day he is a league average hitter (out of 66 qualified centerfielders between 2011 and 2017, LoCain's wRC+ of 106 is tied for 19th with Brett Gardner and Randal Grichuk) but obviously his value is his defense.

It is pretty clear to me who are the four most significant CFers in Royals history: Amos Otis, Willie Wilson, Carlos Beltran, and Lorenzo Cain. Willie Wilson logged 15 years in KC and A.O. 14. So obviously Cain is never going to catch them on counting stats or WAR. And Cain's best season, 2015 when he was all-star and finished 3rd in the MVP race, is, according to BR, not as good as 1980 Wilson or 1978 Amos Otis. Though technically Wilson was in left for most of 1980. Then again, Cain's best year he carried a team to a World Series. So I think of the four players, Cain has the best claim to having the most memorable season. As for career numbers, while this is a dumb way to do math and doesn't say very much, on average Cain put up 2.9 fWAR per season versus 3.0 for A.O. and 2.34 for Willie Wilson.** If Cain finished the year a Royal, which he won't, he would almost certainly pass A.O.'s mark. Most of this, like I said, is based on his defense. A.O. was a much better hitter than Cain, but Wilson and Cain were superior defenders.

Beltran is a bit hard to place. He won the Rookie of Year** which is super significant. He is by far the best hitter our of the 4 and he should be a Hall of Famer. Still, he would no doubt go into the hall as a Met which, I am sure, would lead to much weeping and gnashing of teeth in KC. While the Royals only really have one HoFer to celebrate, Beltran also played pretty exclusively in the dark years of Royalsdom. The teams he played for went a combined 423 and 547. Not that this is his fault by any means; the teams were bad not Beltran. Still... It is hard to build a positive mythology around losers and as time goes on I could see the fact Beltran started in KC more as quirky Beltran trivia than significant part of the oral history of the Royals.

Anyway, to bring this back to Cain. Cain was pretty clearly the best player on 2015 Royals. And as for the the 2014 squad, the squad that at the end of the year I declared was the best team I will ever see, he wasn't the best but I think he might end up being the most memorable. That team's mythology is pretty clearly built on speed, defense, and the bullpen. And while Salvy's walkoff hit in the WC is the flashbulb moment for that team, Cain diving all over the field sticks out in my mind too. He also won the ALCS MVP that year. Point is, dude is at the center of two pennant winners.

Alright, this was long and rambling and not tied to anything. But I guess the point is, I think Cain probably goes down in franchise history as the second or third most significant, which I think is different from best, Royals center fielder. And the is pretty cool.

*Beltran crushed everyone on that bad math, putting up an average of 3.56
** I am about to out myself as a youngster. I was a really dumb kid in 1999 and I distinctly remember being very confused by this because I sincerely believed that Beltran wasn't even the best rookie named Carlos on the Royals. God drat I loved Carlos Febles. I think he made one really spectacular jumping catch that stuck in my young mind.

edit: My final reasoning against putting Cain fourth is that flags fly forever.
Edit: Changed language to better reflect the possibility Beltran doesn't go into the hall.

alpha_destroy fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Jun 17, 2017

LonesomeCrowdedWest
May 8, 2008

Patrick Spens posted:

The Jays will never see .500.

Yup. :sigh:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Are Beltran's HOF odds pretty decent? I've read several articles that assume he probably won't get enough votes to stay eligible for more than 1-2 years.

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Are Beltran's HOF odds pretty decent? I've read several articles that assume he probably won't get enough votes to stay eligible for more than 1-2 years.

Good point. In a perfect world he gets in. But this is a world were both Loftin and Edmonds got hosed sooo... He will probably get hosed which is insane. Cause to me he is clearly a HOFer, but I'm a big hall guy.

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I'd say he has a good shot at getting in. He was probably the best CF in baseball from 2000-10. Who was the second best during that stretch, Edmonds? Andruw Jones? And probably the best CF eligible for the hall, I'd rank him ahead of Lofton. He also has really great postseason numbers.

Ready! Set! Blow!
Jun 17, 2005

Red alert.

alpha_destroy posted:

Good point. In a perfect world he gets in. But this is a world were both Loftin and Edmonds got hosed sooo... He will probably get hosed which is insane. Cause to me he is clearly a HOFer, but I'm a big hall guy.

Lofton's first year was that 2013 shitshow; Beltran's first year will be 2023 at the earliest, and he has a pretty good chance of being the best player on it, what with Bonds/Clemens having fallen off. (Or the best outfielder, at least.)

Ready! Set! Blow! fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Jun 17, 2017

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Beltran feels like a classic "Hall of Very Good" player to me. Never won an MVP or came close. Was never really in the conversation for best player in baseball at any point in his career.

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

The Pussy Boss posted:

Beltran feels like a classic "Hall of Very Good" player to me. Never won an MVP or came close. Was never really in the conversation for best player in baseball at any point in his career.

I'm not sure that is fair. He should have at least been in the MVP conversation in 2006. He was a nine time all-star, won Rookie of the Year, and won both some gold gloves and a couple of silver sluggers. I mean, you are right he never won the MVP and his career overlaps almost completely with Albert Pujols, but it isn't like he went completely without accolade during his career.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

alpha_destroy posted:

Royals CF stuff

I'm trying to think of who else even stuck around for long enough to talk about. Brian McRae was there for a while, rarely hitting. They played David DeJesus out of position in CF for a long time--good player by Royals standards for the 2000's, but in my opinion never had the range to really play the position well.

I guess you could talk about Bo but his career mostly overlapped with Willie Wilson's and Willie was the better defensive player and took almost all of the starts in center. Well better defensive player but far from the more spectacular one, as is par for the course for anything Bo.

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Grittybeard posted:

I'm trying to think of who else even stuck around for long enough to talk about. Brian McRae was there for a while, rarely hitting. They played David DeJesus out of position in CF for a long time--good player by Royals standards for the 2000's, but in my opinion never had the range to really play the position well.

I guess you could talk about Bo but his career mostly overlapped with Willie Wilson's and Willie was the better defensive player and took almost all of the starts in center. Well better defensive player but far from the more spectacular one, as is par for the course for anything Bo.

Damon is memorable no? I mean, he isn't as good as any of the other guys, but I would put Damon before DeJesus.

Edit: I didn't realize Damon split so much time with a Tom Goodwin. I don't even remember Goodwin haha.

alpha_destroy fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Jun 17, 2017

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

alpha_destroy posted:

Damon is memorable no? I mean, he isn't as good as any of the other guys, but I would put Damon before DeJesus.

I'd forgotten he played so much center in his career before looking him up, I think of him as a left fielder. Probably my brain recoiling from memories of his arm in center. Yeah he should probably be mentioned before BMac or DeJesus.

Just going by whatever BR lists as a starting CF from 1975 to now and the other notable? names are Tom Goodwin and Mitch Maier. Melky Cabrera too if you want to count his one year.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Paracaidas posted:

Twins are in first place in the middle of June, which is fun... but man, the rotation did not line up well for a series against Cleveland.

Nik Turley, who was in Indy ball last year (8-1 L)
Adam Wilk, who even the Mets decided they didn't need starting
Adalberto Mejia, 5.75 ERA who was demoted for a month and has been just as bad since he came back up
Kyle Gibson, who is 4-0 since being called back up thanks to insane run support (20, 14, 11, 6, and 2).

:bang: :emo:

on the plus side, I'm going to the game on Wednesday to get that sweet Dozier Stormtrooper bobblehead and it's lined up for Berrios to be pitching

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Cody Bellinger has hit more dingers in his first 50 games than anyone in MLB history. He is one shy of the NL lead despite missing the first 20 games of the season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

IcePhoenix posted:

on the plus side, I'm going to the game on Wednesday to get that sweet Dozier Stormtrooper bobblehead and it's lined up for Berrios to be pitching

Jealous. Things like that make me wish I was in town. Also, through 2 games: Very poor results from this strategy.

bawfuls posted:

Cody Bellinger has hit more dingers in his first 50 games than anyone in MLB history. He is one shy of the NL lead despite missing the first 20 games of the season.

Can I interest you in a gently used Brian Dozier for him?

• Locked thread