Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Is Hobo Erotica Mia Freedman?

No it's her wealthy banker (or whatever poo poo) husband that is the CEO and chief financier of Mama Mia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Hobo Erotica posted:

Just because this one hasn't come up before - she was saying we don't choose who we're attracted to. To say she was comparing the actions of gay people to peadoephiles seems like a willful misrepresentation.

Unless you're arguing we do choose who we're attracted to.

I dunno mang, you were making a fair point earlier. Now it just seems like you're not digging up, stupid.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

JBP posted:

No it's her wealthy banker (or whatever poo poo) husband that is the CEO and chief financier of Mama Mia.

He started a liquor distribution company and sold it and invested the proceeds into the business his wife was starting in their lounge room

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.
So Sky News is certainly doing some sort of take here

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

JNL Investment sounds pretty venture capitalist to me!

http://www.jnl-investments.com/home.html

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Hobo Erotica posted:

He started a liquor distribution company and sold it and invested the proceeds into the business his wife was starting in their lounge room

Lol you loving edited this to run the itty bitty start up line. Holy poo poo.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.
Doxxing Hobo here

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

QUACKTASTIC posted:

I dunno mang, you were making a fair point earlier. Now it just seems like you're not digging up, stupid.

This is literally what she said:

quote:

'We accept that gay people can't change who they love and who they're sexually attracted to, so why do we think that people who are sexually attracted to children can be rehabilitated?"

Her point - and no arguments that it was a loving lovely point - was whether paedophiles can be rehabilitated if we accept that sexuality is set a birth. She did not compare gays people to child molesters in any way that people in this thread are attempting to infer.

Jesus loving Christ, you people.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Why would you use gay people as the example of attraction if you didn't think the behaviour was aberrant?

E: Also using one thing to speak to another is what comparing means. She compared the two. That's all anyone said.

JBP fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Jun 16, 2017

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

JBP posted:

JNL Investment sounds pretty venture capitalist to me!

http://www.jnl-investments.com/home.html

Ok? Not sure what your point is

He shouldn't have started an investment company and a liquor company, or he shouldn't have invested in his wife's business, or neither of them should have started a media network for women, flawed or otherwise?
-

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Hobo Erotica posted:

Ok? Not sure what your point is

He shouldn't have started an investment company and a liquor company, or he shouldn't have invested in his wife's business, or neither of them should have started a media network for women, flawed or otherwise?
-

You said he started a liquor company then he and his wife started a business in their lounge to directly challenge me calling him a banker or similar. I linked the banker part.

It speaks to you selectively applying information to suit your own purpose, which is defending Mama Mia to your dying breath.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

JBP posted:

Hobo Erotica posted:

In response to you being razzed for being Mia Freedman/Lavigne/Child Freedman

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

You said he was a wealthy banker (or whatever poo poo).

Ignoring for a minute the fact that the whole thing is irrelevant, you make it sound like some HSBC or Westpac thing, when the reality is he started his own business, and as it turns out, started an investment company too. And then yes it started in their living room

It speaks to you selectively applying information to suit your own purpose, which is to call this woman a shithead and get weird when people call you on it

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Hobo Erotica posted:

You said he was a wealthy banker (or whatever poo poo).

Ignoring for a minute the fact that the whole thing is irrelevant, you make it sound like some HSBC or Westpac thing, when the reality is he started his own business, and as it turns out, started an investment company too. And then yes it started in their living room

It speaks to you selectively applying information to suit your own purpose, which is to call this woman a shithead and get weird when people call you on it

Why did you exclude the investment business when you knew about it?

What is it about Mia Freedman's monetised faux feminism that lights your fire so hot?

Bogan King posted:

Doxxing Hobo here

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
Come on, be fair, Hobo could just be interning with the mamamia team and the only way they can get a job if they source our hot take and rewrite one of our forum posts explaining why Mia wasn't wrong

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

JBP posted:

I linked the banker part.

Did you though? I cant find anything linking Jason Lavigne to the website/company you linked. The company JNL investments was created nearly 6 years after JNL Pty Ltd was created, has a different registered name, different registered address, there is no mention of Jason anywhere on the JNL website, and it still shows him as the owner of JNL pty ltd, which has its primary point of business as NSW.

Plus its weird to describe an investment banking firm that you started as "Investment vehicle for property, stocks, and interesting tech stuff." I agree that they sound similar, but they are not.

NPR Journalizard fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Jun 16, 2017

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

NPR Journalizard posted:

Did you though? I cant find anything linking Jason Lavigne to the website/company you linked. The company JNL investments was created nearly 6 years after JNL Pty Ltd was created, has a different registered name, different registered address, there is no mention of Jason anywhere on the JNL website, and it still shows him as the owner of JNL pty ltd, which has its primary point of business as NSW.

Check his linked in.

E maybe this is wrong. Doesn't change anything else about poor little Mia's #personalbrand website being shithouse, her bad behaviour towards contributors and lack of contrition or her being a faux feminist selling Cosmo for mums.

JBP fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Jun 16, 2017

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

JBP posted:

Check his linked in.

Yeah this is going to blow your mind but JNL pty ltd is not JNL investments ltd.

Do you have anything else I could use to verify? Because I like to think I am pretty good at googling stuff, but there is sweet gently caress all about Jason Lavigne being a investment banker, and those guys are usually pretty boastful about what they do.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

quote:

Why did you exclude the investment business when you knew about it?

What is it about Mia Freedman's monetised faux feminism that lights your fire so hot?

I honestly did not know. An article I read mentioned CBD liquor and not JNL. Looking at linked in now, he started JNL a year after CBD liquor. He sold CBD liquor in 2007 and invested in mamamia in 2009.

It doesn't matter if or why I think it's hot, none of the attacks have actually made sense, except the end of that junkee article, when the author literally admitted "As I piled on and on, I felt the gleeful bubbles of drama build inside me. I don’t particularly like Freedman, or Mamamia, so part of me was probably thrilled to have a justifiable reason to lay into her (and the organisation itself).that hating on her gave bubbles of glee."

I wanted to talk about whether the reason for the pile on was even justified to begin with, but at the moment I find myself having to talk about how her loving husband made his money for some reason

Edit - or it's not even the same bloody JNL Jesus

Bucky Fullminster fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Jun 16, 2017

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

NPR Journalizard posted:

Yeah this is going to blow your mind but JNL pty ltd is not JNL investments ltd.

Do you have anything else I could use to verify? Because I like to think I am pretty good at googling stuff, but there is sweet gently caress all about Jason Lavigne being a investment banker, and those guys are usually pretty boastful about what they do.

I don't and I'm not completely sure outside of having always heard him referred to as a banker and such in the media.

I said or whatever before because I'm not sure he's a banker but he has some venture capo business and edited above but want to post here since you might not return to the old post.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Hobo Erotica posted:

I honestly did not know. An article I read mentioned CBD liquor and not JNL. Looking at linked in now, he started JNL a year after CBD liquor. He sold CBD liquor in 2007 and invested in mamamia in 2009.

It doesn't matter if or why I think it's hot, none of the attacks have actually made sense, except the end of that junkee article, when the author literally admitted "As I piled on and on, I felt the gleeful bubbles of drama build inside me. I don’t particularly like Freedman, or Mamamia, so part of me was probably thrilled to have a justifiable reason to lay into her (and the organisation itself).that hating on her gave bubbles of glee."

I wanted to talk about whether the reason for the pile on was even justified to begin with, but at the moment I find myself having to talk about how her loving husband made his money for some reason

I spoke about her. Her behaviour is bad politically and industrially. I thought she was beloved by the general public.

I also thought you had stormed off when this originally came up.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

JBP posted:

I don't and I'm not completely sure outside of having always heard him referred to as a banker and such in the media.

And I hope we have all learned a valuable lesson.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

JBP posted:

I also thought you had stormed off when this originally came up.

Yeah sorry but then you brought up new things.

Industrially is your thing so I might give you that, but politically no, nothing still sticks.

Judging by what I've read the past week, she is almost the opposite of beloved by the public. That was interesting. This has been a revealing discussion about why, with the wealthy banker husband being almost the perfect ending.

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

Bogan King posted:

So Sky News is certainly doing some sort of take here

e: nm

ee: what the gently caress are they saying with that headline? do they think Sinn Fein is a person in the DUP?

bitmap fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Jun 16, 2017

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ENnAa7rqtBM

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

bitmap posted:

e: nm

ee: what the gently caress are they saying with that headline? do they think Sinn Fein is a person in the DUP?

Yes.

Tasmantor
Aug 13, 2007
Horrid abomination

BBJoey posted:

generally speaking a termination of apprenticeship requires the agreement of both apprentice and employer. that said, an employer refusing to let someone who doesn't want to work for them go is a real piece of poo poo. worst comes to worst he can unilaterally stop his apprenticeship, but he may not receive full credit for the on-the-job work he's done so far.

i'd advise him to get in touch with his apprenticeship network provider (if he remembers who that is, they're a bit useless), and his State Training Authority. the STA should be easy to find but if you let me know what state he's in i can give you their details.

Sorry it took me a while to respond, we are in Vic'. If it would help I'm happy to say it's not safe for him there, a quote from one of the bosses to him "a free electrocutions makes a good electrician!" Ignoring that our trade isn't electrical that's just appalling to say.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

NPR Journalizard posted:

And I hope we have all learned a valuable lesson.

Don't try to explain a throwaway joke about a poster being Mia Freedman's husband.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Tasmantor posted:

Sorry it took me a while to respond, we are in Vic'. If it would help I'm happy to say it's not safe for him there, a quote from one of the bosses to him "a free electrocutions makes a good electrician!" Ignoring that our trade isn't electrical that's just appalling to say.

all good, the victorian STA is the VRQA, their contact details are 1300 722 603 or vrqa.apprenticeships@edumail.vic.gov.au. hopefully they'll be able to advise what can be done. i'd say it's worth him mentioning the cavalier attitude to safety as a confounding factor in wanting to leave as well.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

Gorilla Salad posted:

This is literally what she said:

Her point - and no arguments that it was a loving lovely point - was whether paedophiles can be rehabilitated if we accept that sexuality is set a birth. She did not compare gays people to child molesters in any way that people in this thread are attempting to infer.

Jesus loving Christ, you people.

To be honest I read this as comparing non het people to paedolphiles and you'd have to be extremely dense to never have come across the argument which states if we allow LGBTQIA to marry, why not incest, bestiality, and paedophilia?

Like you'd have to be wilfully ignorant to write what Freedman did then be surprised at the backlash

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
What does everyone think of the Red Simmons fiasco the past couple days?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Cartoon posted:

He's living in the 70s.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

Doctor Spaceman posted:

He's living in the 70s.

:discourse:

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Cartoon posted:

I'm surprised that people are surprised

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Recoome posted:

I'm surprised that people are surprised
I was surprised by how vicious and personal the reaction was and curious to see if it was echoed here

do it on my face
Feb 6, 2005
°
If Red had been talking to Mia, maybe.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

do it on my face posted:

If Red had been talking to Mia, maybe.
No you don't it was all over SMH and pedestrian and ABC and facebook and I think even some international press

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Like old irrelevant guy has extremely poo poo opinions in hot take shocker

I honestly missed the whole Mia thing but I'm completely shocked that a white feminist has really poo poo opinions

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Recoome posted:

Like old irrelevant guy has extremely poo poo opinions in hot take shocker
See I don't get this. Listening to the show pretty regularly I'd say the exact opposite. Have you got any examples?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

I guess I don't have any specific examples, but I guess we know now that Red Whatisname has bad opinions on ethnicity?

• Locked thread