Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Iron Crowned posted:

Eh, it's very linear, you just get randomized items. My point was more about obsessively just playing the same games over and over and over

He's talking about borderlands, not diablo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
Borderlands loving sucks and the only character is Handsome Jack and his only character trait is he's a total rear end in a top hat.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

https://twitter.com/DuvalMagic/status/486550022910005248

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

https://twitter.com/DuvalMagic/status/841157599563243520

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

he made an account for that retweet

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

Peanut President posted:

Borderlands loving sucks and the only character is Handsome Jack and his only character trait is he's a total rear end in a top hat.

Borderlands is really weird in this aspect. Jack is a villian because hes a sociopath assholes... Except the entire universe from top to bottom is all sociopath assholes, Especially the player protagonists.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

The Pre-Sequel made him out to be a lot more sympathetic

I enjoyed it a bit better than BL2, only because I have brain damage and enjoyed the clap trap playable character who would get constantly dunked on by the rest of the cast

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Thundercracker posted:

Like marketing 101 should be "Don't release an incredibly similar game to one Blizzard is also releasing at the exact same time."
Have to admit, I confused Overwatch and Battleborn a bit before they came out.

Now I know Overwatch is a refinement of TeamFortress goodness.

Battleborn is some kind of FPS moba zzzzzzzzzzzzzz

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Fried Watermelon posted:

The Pre-Sequel made him out to be a lot more sympathetic

I enjoyed it a bit better than BL2, only because I have brain damage and enjoyed the clap trap playable character who would get constantly dunked on by the rest of the cast

Pre-Sequel also did a much better job of incorporating the characters/NPCs reacting with what class you're playing as.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
A Borderlands movie could be fun with the right director/writer. Tales from the Borderlands was a lot of fun and showed that the setting can house some interesting set pieces.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Okay I can see a Tales from the Borderlands movie where some corporate flunky looking for a gimmick to get rich thaws a meathead from cryo and it's Duke Nukem. He makes all these old movie references and no one gets it because he is older than their current civilization.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Duke Nukem running loose in Borderlands would probably upset Anthony Burch, so that's cool.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I'd accept a Duke Nukem if it were essentially an updated Last Action Hero that was actually gutsy enough to make people react to Duke with the revulsion he deserves.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

well why not posted:

I'd accept a Duke Nukem if it were essentially an updated Last Action Hero that was actually gutsy enough to make people react to Duke with the revulsion he deserves.

Like Demolition Man if no one was charmed or won over by John Spartan's crude, outdated way?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Tales from the Borderlands is literally the best Borderlands game by a huge margin.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Make it like Rocky Balboa or Cars 3. Duke is a burned out has-been desperatly clinging to his past glory and has to go up against a young hot shot action hero who can regenerate any wound just by hiding behind cover for a bit but has the weakness of only being able to carry two or three guns at a time.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

FreudianSlippers posted:

Make it like Rocky Balboa or Cars 3. Duke is a burned out has-been desperatly clinging to his past glory and has to go up against a young hot shot action hero who can regenerate any wound just by hiding behind cover for a bit but has the weakness of only being able to carry two or three guns at a time.

Or, tactically realistic John Wick shoots him in the face in the first couple of minutes. The rest of the movie is a political drama about the Trump administration.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

I picture a Duke movie like the Wesker stuff in the Resident Evil movies: a character that at one time cheesy and dumb but enjoyable, now being played like the it's the height of cool and looking like a cosplayer.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

duke's a former body builder chick magnet with his best days behind him. He's a homeless alcoholic with nothing but his memories to keep him together. he starts to see the pigs when he puts on his shades. walking in society, ignored and unseen. big pulsing phallic skyscrapers of organic machine meat inspire gigerian nightmares haunting his psyche.

Even the babes... man the babes ain't looking so hot.... and showin some fangs...

So he bashes in some nerd's face, everyone has a meltdown, he steals the "pig's" "regenerator", then you cut into a bog standard cover based third person FPS that looks a lot like gears of war and terminates at hour 7 for the dlc that parodies ummm Destiny. """ironically"""

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Snowman_McK posted:

Or, tactically realistic John Wick shoots him in the face in the first couple of minutes. The rest of the movie is a political drama about the Trump administration.

I was thinking something like that, except Duke gets killed similarly to Brad Pitt in Burn After Reading.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
If they want to make a Dungeons & Dragons movie they should just copy The Adventure Zone, I would love a big-budget movie equivalent of ending a long and involved campaign with "Abra-ca-gently caress-You! :cool:"

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
These ideas are all fine and good but everyone realizes neither of those movies are ever gunna come out right?

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

FishBulb posted:

These ideas are all fine and good but everyone realizes neither of those movies are ever gunna come out right?

Like 99% of movies never come out.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I just read some spoilers about that twee child super genius movie The Book of Henry that's opening in theaters tomorrow and it turns out that everyone who watched the trailer guessed correctly. Yes, the super smart kid dies early in the film and the rest of it is mom and little brother following his plan to murder their neighbor.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

muscles like this! posted:

I just read some spoilers about that twee child super genius movie The Book of Henry that's opening in theaters tomorrow and it turns out that everyone who watched the trailer guessed correctly. Yes, the super smart kid dies early in the film and the rest of it is mom and little brother following his plan to murder their neighbor.
Hardcore, I wanna see this

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

FreudianSlippers posted:

Like 99% of movies never come out.

I mean an infinite percentage of movies are never made but a cinematic universe based on borderlands and duke nuken is extra double gunna never get made

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

muscles like this! posted:

I wonder if the movie makes these actions seem heroic. I'm sure as poo poo never going to watch it to find out, though, so hopefully someone here can bite the bullet.

Looking forward to Star Wars Episode 9.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

well why not posted:

About to see The Mummy now, keen to see if it matches what I'm expecting

yep so it did match.

There was a dude literally snoring in the row behind me. It was quiet, so easily ignored. On the way out I noticed he was really bronze-skinned and had ankh tattoos. I think he was Egyptian and I can't help feel bad for the dude.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Neo Rasa posted:

Tales from the Borderlands is literally the best Borderlands game by a huge margin.

Yeah because it wasn't made by Gearbox.

Ever since the first Borderlands came out they seem like they exist solely to test the boundaries of how much they can half-rear end games while still getting people to buy them.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Everything good about Borderlands is an accident or a result of incompetence. The art style was a late addition they just rolled with as the game had zero style, the writing was done after the game was deep in development. The aesthetic was ripped from a short film and, in Borderlands 2, they managed to hit right on the last gasp of people tolerating memes and pop culture being the meat of a script. Gearbox has failed upwards since Blue Shift.

A film version would basically be a talentless Mad Max 2 clone, except with neon spraypaint and endless pop culture / meme jokes. Done properly, it could be an 'Indiana Jones in space' - really lean into the Vault Hunter idea. They won't do that. They'll make a graffiti garbage dump and add heaps of sex jokes and a plot that is paper-thin.

well why not fucked around with this message at 11:17 on Jun 16, 2017

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

well why not posted:

yep so it did match.

There was a dude literally snoring in the row behind me. It was quiet, so easily ignored. On the way out I noticed he was really bronze-skinned and had ankh tattoos. I think he was Egyptian and I can't help feel bad for the dude.

When I saw The Mummy the woman sitting next to me kept texting on her phone and chatting to the person on the other side of her through the whole movie. I could have shushed her but to be honest it's not like she was ruining the film, the film already ruined itself.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Yeah it was so boring. Characters are just jawing at each other for what feels like hours. Russell Crowe was interesting but he's only really in about 10 minutes of the movie.

Everything with Cruise, the Love Interest and the Mummy was boring. It's just slow. It feels like 140 minutes, not 107. The way the mummy gets released is the stupidest move I've ever seen a character pull on screen. Not only is Cruise dumb for shooting a chain and freeing the mummy, the ancient Egyptians are dumb for sealing the embodiment of evil in a manner that's reversible on accident. They bury Satan, but have a 'return' switch setup. Why?.

I can ignore 'plot holes' in good movies, but in something this boring you have a lot of time to take count of how stupid everyone is. Cruise 'hallucinates' being haunted by his buddy. tells no-one despite being embroiled in a world of magic and monsters. Why?

The plane crash has Cruise waking up in a morgue, a while away from the crash. It's not explained where he landed. It just moves on. I don't want everything explained, but at least acknowledge what is happening.

It also achieves next-to-nothing plotwise apart from setting up Cruise as a monster hunter. The sidekick gets resuscitated, somehow offscreen before the sequel hook ending. Everyone is exactly where they started, except Cruise has a newfound sense of purpose and some kewl magic powers.

It is very satisfying to watch Russell Crowe overpower Tom Cruise and throw him around like a toddler. I'm not spoiling that, you loving know it was going to happen.

I will give the movie credit for it's effects which are good. Apart from the weird CGI on Crowe. I 100% believe the conspiracy theory posted upthread about much of the movie's audio being ADR for international audiences. There's a LOT of dialog with the speaking character not on screen.

Gods of Egypt was way more interesting. If you wanna watch an over-the-top Egypt themed movie, definitely see that instead. It's a PS3 cutscene, but it's the best PS3 cutscene ever made, by far. At least that movie was fun and colourful. This is just lovely and boring.

well why not fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Jun 16, 2017

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Something funny I noticed the other day: after the Brendan Fraser Mummy trilogy ended Universal kept trying to resuscitate the Universal Monsters franchise with movies like The Wolf Man, Dracula Untold and now The Mummy. But do you know what was the most successful (ie: least bomb-iest) recent Universal Monsters-themed movie apart from the Fraser Mummy films? The fun but oh-so-dumb Hugh Jackman/Kate Beckinsale Van Helsing movie. :v:

Universal were hoping to spin off a few sequels from Van Helsing but nixxed that idea as soon as the reviews came out. They also wanted to make a live action TV series (partly because the village set they built for the film was so good they wanted to get more use out of it) with a wild west sheriff migrating to Transylvania to sort out their troubles with Hugh Jackman making an occasional guest appearance but that also didn't happen. The best they could do was a half hour animated prequel and a tie-in comicbook. :sad:

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 12:40 on Jun 16, 2017

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Apparently those are non-canon and the Dark Universe actually begins with 2017's The Mummy. There's even Dark Universe branding and it's a 'Dark Universe Production'.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

FishBulb posted:

I mean an infinite percentage of movies are never made but a cinematic universe based on borderlands and duke nuken is extra double gunna never get made

A massively expensive Duke Nukem film that is the first in a planned trilogy until it bombs, making 300 bucks on a budget of 300 million and marketing budget 900 million, of is scarily plausible to me.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

well why not posted:

Apparently those are non-canon and the Dark Universe actually begins with 2017's The Mummy. There's even Dark Universe branding and it's a 'Dark Universe Production'.

Yeah, their previous franchise attempts were pretty much unannounced and they'd just throw a film up on screens and hope it proved popular enough to warrant sequels. This time they were so sure they had the formula worked out they made a big song and dance about launching the Dark Universe and uhhhhh guys that announcement might have been a bit premature ...

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wiPD9X43knU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Something funny I noticed the other day: after the Brendan Fraser Mummy trilogy ended Universal kept trying to resuscitate the Universal Monsters franchise with movies like The Wolf Man, Dracula Untold and now The Mummy. But do you know what was the most successful (ie: least bomb-iest) recent Universal Monsters-themed movie apart from the Fraser Mummy films? The fun but oh-so-dumb Hugh Jackman/Kate Beckinsale Van Helsing movie. :v:

Universal were hoping to spin off a few sequels from Van Helsing but nixxed that idea as soon as the reviews came out. They also wanted to make a live action TV series (partly because the village set they built for the film was so good they wanted to get more use out of it) with a wild west sheriff migrating to Transylvania to sort out their troubles with Hugh Jackman making an occasional guest appearance but that also didn't happen. The best they could do was a half hour animated prequel and a tie-in comicbook. :sad:

I genuinely like that Hugh Jackman movie. It's basically live-action Castlevania but even dumber.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

RBA Starblade posted:

I genuinely like that Hugh Jackman movie. It's basically live-action Castlevania but even dumber.

It was so bad that the audience I was watching it with started laughing at everything, which in turn made it a fun, stupid movie. The culmination being when Kate Beckinsale's face appeared in the clouds at the end. Everyone lost it there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

How the gently caress would you even market a Duke Nukem movie? The days of the generic macho muscle action movie are dead unless you somehow convince Dwayne Johnson to star and even then it's unlikely to make any money.

• Locked thread